HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Sharks/Kings talk continued

Old
03-21-2012, 12:23 AM
Phu

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dicdonya View Post
Its not all his fault but that last goal absolutely sealed the deal. That last goal is exactly, EXACTLY the type of goal a cup winning goalie can not allow to go in. The team was outplayed most of the game yes, but with 4ish minutes left and the team finally playing with some pop having just scored the last goal to get it within 1 he CAN NOT let that goal in.

A lot of people complain about neimi not being able to steal a game or get the saves at the right time, that 4th goal is exactly why people feel that way about him. That goal cannot go in at that time, it was a horrid shot that he saw all the way, was not shot very hard, and did not change direction at all, in the third period of a basically must win game with 4ish minutes left and your team finally had some momentum going. Atrocious, there is no defending that that goal decided the game hands down. No chance after that.
Standing ovation for this. Stats don't show this, but that utter disgust that arose in this entire fanbase when that goal went in, transferred directly to the players on the ice. They are humans too, and you know that to a man they were just sick at that goal. That was, in fact, the game.

BTW this was a road game, so the momentum and advantage was not on our side to begin with. We needed to play well enough defensively and get a good game -- start to finish -- from our goalie and we simply did not.

I'm not sure what is going on with Murray but he was beyond brutal tonight. He was actually worse than Colin White. I wonder if that neck thing is restricting his head movement or something?

Phu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 12:23 AM
WineShark
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene Parmesan View Post
He's facedown in a ditch after beating up the whole LNAH.
There has to be another goon we can bring up from the Chiefs who can at least beat the crap out of someone.

03-21-2012, 12:24 AM
Gene Parmesan
Ice up, son.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WineShark View Post
There has to be another goon we can bring up from the Chiefs who can at least beat the crap out of someone.
Who was that guy who ruined Jeff Beukeboom? lol

edit: Matt Johnson, that guy was a monster.

Gene Parmesan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 12:24 AM
WineShark
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by juantimer View Post
Standing ovation for this. Stats don't show this, but that utter disgust that arose in this entire fanbase when that goal went in, transferred directly to the players on the ice. They are humans too, and you know that to a man they were just sick at that goal. That was, in fact, the game.

BTW this was a road game, so the momentum and advantage was not on our side to begin with. We needed to play well enough defensively and get a good game -- start to finish -- from our goalie and we simply did not.

I'm not sure what is going on with Murray but he was beyond brutal tonight. He was actually worse than Colin White. I wonder if that neck thing is restricting his head movement or something?
I hate tiny tim and I hate you too. Stupud optimist.

WineShark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 12:25 AM
Brent Burns
TROTZTROTZTROTZTROTZ

I don't think I saw anyone pin this 100% squarely on Niemi so not sure where that's coming from. Having said that, Niemi has sucked balls. He did keep the Sharks in it for parts of the game, but then let up a couple softies. Our skaters just got beat by speed EVERYWHERE.

Brent Burns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 12:26 AM
SactoShork
The Youth Movement

vCash: 50
McLellan: "I thought our effort was better ... We had some jump in our game."

SactoShork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 12:26 AM
Phu

Quote:
Originally Posted by WantonAbandon View Post
Oh sure guys maybe if we had Lundqvist or Rinne we may have have had a small chance of absolutely stealing that game. Yipee skipee.
Better than small, given their skill levels. You know I am pretty circumspect on DW but all his forward moves people like to call mistakes are nothing ... his biggest mistake was biting on the idea that you don't need a bigtime goalie to win it all. Without a star between the pipes, your team can ALWAYS be beaten.

Old
03-21-2012, 12:27 AM
WineShark
HFBoards Sponsor

I can't wait for the LS post game threads tomorrow. Echo.......... I hate everyone. I hate my apricot tree and my nose hair.

Old
Brent Burns
TROTZTROTZTROTZTROTZ

TMac thought we had a good first period. Did someone whack him over the head again?

Old
Pinkfloyd

vCash: 2283
Quote:
Originally Posted by WTFetus View Post
Yeah, that goal was definitely weak. I just disagree with the posters saying Niemi cost them the game, and that this game is all on Niemi. Sure he cost them their very, very slim chance of tying it, but the Sharks were outplayed the entire game and most likely wouldn't have tied it regardless.
I agree. You can't lay the loss on Nemo when the other three goals were poor defensive play or simply being undisciplined.

My only point with all this though is that I won't overlook a goal like this when it comes to individual player analysis and who I would move in an overhaul that might happen during the off-season.

If we miss the playoffs, I'm all for trading Clowe, Murray, and Niemi. Let Mitchell, Moore, White, Winchester, and Winnik go. I would see if our four young goalies can take the reins and then actually manage them properly by resting them in stretches and playing them in stretches. I actually don't mind McLellan as the coach and I don't mind Wilson as the GM but I'm okay with whether they stay or leave. They do need to add more speed up top and depth up front and on the blue line in terms of quality. And the only real way to do that and separate yourself from the herd and be a legitimate contender is to overload those positions and go cheap in net.

Pinkfloyd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
SHAR KS
3-0

The defense is plain garbage. Niemi let in a weak one, but the defense has been trash the last few games.

SHAR KS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 12:28 AM
Brent Burns
TROTZTROTZTROTZTROTZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by WineShark View Post
I can't wait for the LS post game threads tomorrow. Echo.......... I hate everyone. I hate my apricot tree and my nose hair.

Old
Lazyking
Never Forget

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dicdonya View Post
Its not all his fault but that last goal absolutely sealed the deal. That last goal is exactly, EXACTLY the type of goal a cup winning goalie can not allow to go in. The team was outplayed most of the game yes, but with 4ish minutes left and the team finally playing with some pop having just scored the last goal to get it within 1 he CAN NOT let that goal in.

A lot of people complain about neimi not being able to steal a game or get the saves at the right time, that 4th goal is exactly why people feel that way about him. That goal cannot go in at that time, it was a horrid shot that he saw all the way, was not shot very hard, and did not change direction at all, in the third period of a basically must win game with 4ish minutes left and your team finally had some momentum going. Atrocious, there is no defending that that goal decided the game hands down. No chance after that.

Agree with most of this, although I think the game was lost with Kop's PP goal...I don't think the Sharks would have gotten the tying goal but Niemi gave them no shot to do so.

awful. I've always thought that the Sharks were gonna make it and after tonight, my belief is truly shaken.

This is the year where I come full force back to hockey, following the Sharks out west, staying up til 1:30 most nights and it might not even be a playoff team...

Lazyking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Gene Parmesan
Ice up, son.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SactoShark View Post
They did. Nothing is sustained.

Gene Parmesan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 12:29 AM
Lebanezer

The Sharks seem so distant, so fragile...

I wonder if maybe some of them have upset tummies...

I think we should all meet at the HP pavilion and give them hugs. They need hugs. They'll play so much harder if they know we love them.

Lebanezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 12:30 AM
19sharks19

I thought we made this deal is shoving out McGinn and two youngsters for some decent return and depth? Well, tonight Winnik gets shoved to the 4th line and has been pretty invisible since arriving and the other doesnt play. Meanwhile McGinn is playing solid for the Avs and bosa is playing hot asc heck in the minors.......inother words, this mess is equally to blame on D.W. as it is on Todd for the constantly being outcoached.

19sharks19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 12:31 AM
Lazyking
Never Forget

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkfloyd View Post
I agree. You can't lay the loss on Nemo when the other three goals were poor defensive play or simply being undisciplined.

My only point with all this though is that I won't overlook a goal like this when it comes to individual player analysis and who I would move in an overhaul that might happen during the off-season.

If we miss the playoffs, I'm all for trading Clowe, Murray, and Niemi. Let Mitchell, Moore, White, Winchester, and Winnik go. I would see if our four young goalies can take the reins and then actually manage them properly by resting them in stretches and playing them in stretches. I actually don't mind McLellan as the coach and I don't mind Wilson as the GM but I'm okay with whether they stay or leave. They do need to add more speed up top and depth up front and on the blue line in terms of quality. And the only real way to do that and separate yourself from the herd and be a legitimate contender is to overload those positions and go cheap in net.
I don't want McLellan as coach next year if they don't make the playoffs... certianly not handling young goalies.. He'd wear them out way too much.

Lazyking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
sjshark91

vCash: 2810
Quote:
Damn it I'm in the wrong thread. This thread is from the preseason.

sjshark91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Phu

Quote:
go cheap in net.
NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This is the mentality that got us Niemi in the first place, we can't go cheap in net! And I don't necessarily mean moneywise, I mean pedigree ... we NEED a goalie that can play his position well enough to warrant a spot in our top line.

Niemi is a middle-of-the-league goalie, and that is not good enough for this team.

Old
03-21-2012, 12:32 AM
WineShark
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Burns View Post

Old
03-21-2012, 12:32 AM
SactoShork
The Youth Movement

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene Parmesan View Post
They did. Nothing is sustained.
I suppose everything is relative.

SactoShork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 12:33 AM
AstroDan
Stars, cars, guitars

vCash: 1012
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyball View Post
It's frustrating, but really guys, this team is broken, we were not going anywhere anyway. They have no confidence in the system, their coach, the goalie, or themselves and major changes need to be made.

I hope DW does the smart thing and sells hard this off-season and brings him some high draft picks and starts fresh. Trade anyone not named Couture, Vlasic, Havlat, Boyle, and build a young fast team with a better coach and system.
I go for this. Except Pavs... He either needs to bulk up, get fast or get out. The plays he made earlier in the season are not working now.
Can Thornton be any softer? You weigh 230lbs! F'in hit somebody, wimp! Marleau "might" care tonight, might not, Clowe makes the wrong decision virtually every time, Burns; meh, Crankshaft is THE SLOWEST PLAYER in NHL history, the Burns trade looks to me like the Cambell deal from years ago...
Our starting goalie couldn't stop a beachball if the game was on the line and the entire coaching staff needs a new job elsewhere.
I would rather get swept in the 1st round than miss the PO's completely, but I don't think this team can make it with everyone they are fighting for position with are going to beat SJ to close out the season.
We can't even beat Columbus, Edmonton or Anaheim!

Thanks, I feel better. At least I'll get an early start on my handicap this year...

AstroDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 12:34 AM
Phu

Quote:
I suppose everything is relative.
Yup, if they played as poorly as last night tonight, the game would have been over early. But something being better than nothing is hardly comforting.

Old
03-21-2012, 12:35 AM
WTFetus
Most popular

Quote:
My only point with all this though is that I won't overlook a goal like this when it comes to individual player analysis
I agree with your general point and I would move Niemi to stack up on weaker positions, but it isn't fair to highlight this goal while overlooking other huge saves Niemi made. Take the Nashville game for example. Legwand has a breakaway with less than 5 minutes left and Niemi comes up big. He made the save on a shot that he absolutely had to stop because the score was 1-1 and the Sharks were still in the game.
In tonight's game, the Sharks had absolutely no right being in this game and probably would've lost regardless of whether Niemi saved the shot or not.

WTFetus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 12:36 AM
param

Just saw the highlights, and the 1st, 3rd, and 4th goals allowed were all bad goals. No screen or deflection involved on either of them. All three were good shots, but they were all clear shots. Niemi should have had them.

param is offline   Reply With Quote