HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Notices

Sharks/Kings talk continued

Old
03-21-2012, 12:48 AM
SJFanQC

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dicdonya View Post
Its not all his fault but that last goal absolutely sealed the deal. That last goal is exactly, EXACTLY the type of goal a cup winning goalie can not allow to go in. The team was outplayed most of the game yes, but with 4ish minutes left and the team finally playing with some pop having just scored the last goal to get it within 1 he CAN NOT let that goal in.

A lot of people complain about neimi not being able to steal a game or get the saves at the right time, that 4th goal is exactly why people feel that way about him. That goal cannot go in at that time, it was a horrid shot that he saw all the way, was not shot very hard, and did not change direction at all, in the third period of a basically must win game with 4ish minutes left and your team finally had some momentum going. Atrocious, there is no defending that that goal decided the game hands down. No chance after that.
Exactly the way I feel and why I wrote in the other thread we won't go anywhere with him. The late third period goals/early three-goals flurry/weak demoralizing goals he let in last playoffs will sink any team. Sure if they were robots and they were only affected by stats then it might not matter what he lets in, at what time and how, it would just be how many. But they're humans, they're professional players subject to emotion, momentum, fatigue, things that demoralize, etc. Going the other way, these players cannot perform as well with the state he puts them in time after time.

If you can get a respectable goalie, not necessarily a star but one that can at least keep the bad goals to a minimum and steal a few ones to give that boost to balance out the down they get because of the bad goals, you can win. Greiss is more of that than Niemi in the few playing time he's been given. He's had more great saves I can remember Niemi having in way less playing time. He doesn't have too many bad goals and he sure is a question mark for going in a long run, but he's still more of the style of goalie we need.

SJFanQC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
wtfisthis

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkbite3 View Post
I love the negative response to me saying there are still nine games left. Three points back in the division, time to give up eh?
We've been saying they still have X number of games left, not time to panic yet for the last couple months now. How many games left and how many games in hand dont mean jack**** if they dont win them.

wtfisthis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
OffSydes

Quote:
Originally Posted by juantimer View Post
What results has that "good formula" yielded for the Preds?
If the Preds has the Sharks budget they would be an even better team.

OffSydes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Pinkfloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by juantimer View Post
What results has that "good formula" yielded for the Preds?
Quality goaltending play under cheap contracts.

Pinkfloyd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 12:49 AM
AstroDan
Stars, cars, guitars

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkbite3 View Post
I love the negative response to me saying there are still nine games left. Three points back in the division, time to give up eh?
Normally, I'd agree.
However, the teams we are chasing are in the upcoming schedule and SJ doesn't look good. They've won, what, 9-10 games since January?

AstroDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 12:50 AM
KpopandHockey
HFBoards Sponsor

I hope the San Francisco fan meet up doesn't take a detour to the golden gate bridge after the game...

KpopandHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 12:50 AM
68 Z-28

I'm depressed.

68 Z-28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 12:53 AM
Lebanezer

Sharks' fans reactions after seeing Pancake's goal

Lebanezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 12:55 AM
Lebanezer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68 Z-28 View Post
I'm depressed.
Nothing cures depression quite like a spot on Nick Cage impression

Old
03-21-2012, 12:55 AM
WineShark
HFBoards Sponsor

03-21-2012, 12:57 AM
Spacemania
Murray says: Rawr!

Send a message via MSN to Spacemania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mafoofoo View Post
At rate this team's losing it'll be a cracked broken old gravestone by the end of the season.
I demand a chonological series of pictures to show off the changes you made

Spacemania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 01:00 AM
sjshark91

vCash: 2810
I like dubstep cat.

My cat is a **** head and just sleeps under the bed all day.

sjshark91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 01:01 AM
lsx

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ay4T0WMkphE

lsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 01:06 AM
Mafoofoo
Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by StreetSharks View Post
Can we see how it evolved? if you still have them saved that is
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spacemania View Post
I demand a chonological series of pictures to show off the changes you made

Mafoofoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 01:07 AM
Lebanezer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjshark91 View Post
I like dubstep cat.

My cat is a **** head and just sleeps under the bed all day.
Dubstep cat is a boss. Sprinkle some meth in his fancy feast and take him to lens crafters.

Old
03-21-2012, 01:09 AM
SactoShork
fun must be alwalys

@ Mafoo... my only joy of this 2nd half stretch.

SactoShork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 01:09 AM
sjshark91

vCash: 2810
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lebanezer View Post
Dubstep cat is a boss. Sprinkle some meth in his fancy feast and take him to lens crafters.
Done.

sjshark91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 01:16 AM
StreetSharks
#19 Joe Trollton

vCash: 327
Quote:

fantastic job, those are great.

StreetSharks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 01:21 AM
lsx

Quote:
Originally Posted by AstroDan View Post
I pin it 90% on Nemo.
The 1st goal, a SH. Defender does the right thing and takes away the pass, a cup contending goaltender makes the save. Thomas, Rinne, Fluery, Miller etc makes that save. The Sharks where "winning" the game at that point. They were strong on fore-check, winning draws and drew the first penalty.
Even though Marty tied the game, the Sharks where on their heels as soon as LA scored 2nd goal, then 3rd, get within one, building hope/momentum, goalie coughs up "softy"...game/
Pure momentum killing machine. No wonder Chicago got rid of him. I believe the highly skillfull forwards and defense for SJ have no actual faith in Nemo so they press and lose.
Bummer
This.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyball View Post
It's frustrating, but really guys, this team is broken, we were not going anywhere anyway. They have no confidence in the system, their coach, the goalie, or themselves and major changes need to be made.

I hope DW does the smart thing and sells hard this off-season and brings him some high draft picks and starts fresh. Trade anyone not named Couture, Burns, Vlasic, Havlat, Pavelski and build a young fast team with a better coach and system.
And this.

What's left for the sharks...

Old
03-21-2012, 01:23 AM
EmergencyExit

vCash: 200
I know that there are games left to be played, but tonight's game doesn't leave much to look forward to. I won't give up on the season though. At the same time after this loss I don't know what to say. Can't think of any more excuses, just completely appalled at where this team is at this point in the season. I think this team is better now than it was last year, yet they are playing so much worse!

I don't know wtf is wrong with this sorry bunch. I won't blame it all on Niemi but yes that goal that made increased their lead to 2 instead of 1 was definitely a killer. When they were down I could envision them coming back. After that one it looked like they just mailed it in. I'm also curious, if they miss the playoffs will T-Mac get canned? You'd have to consider it. Whatever happens, I hope they can pull it together and take the damn division back. Still possible... even if it doesn't look too hopeful right now.

EmergencyExit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 01:23 AM
Dicdonya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Les Wynan View Post
Did the highlights show you the 37 other saves Niemi made in this game?

I'm all for getting rid of him and going with a Greiss/UFA platoon for a total of $2mil or less but he's given the Sharks better results than Nabokov ever did after the lockout.
you keep pointing out the 37 other saves, even with them his sv% was .902. thats not going to cut it.

Number of shots or saves does not matter, if it did the sharks would have won twice as many games with the amount of shots they've taken all year.

The two games we won recently he had sv% at .929ish and .970ish. I would say that .920 range is right about where we need him to really help win games. Its great he made 37 saves but letting in 4 goals is not gunna win many games, and letting in the backbreaker at the end of the game is really not gunna help the team with confidence that they are desperatly trying to get.

I think any realistic fan will agree that Niemi can be good sometimes, I went to both the nashville and detroit game and was extremely happy to say to my pals that niemi was looking great, and look what happened, the team played great the whole game too. They fed off each other and the team looked a LOT faster than usual possibly in part because they felt they could play aggressive knowing their goalie was stepping his game up that night along with them.

The players do not have the luxury of "hoping" niemi wont give any weak goals up every game, they have to KNOW he wont so that they can play with confidence in front of him. No matter how much you want to blame everyone in front of him, if you as a player know your goalie will rarely bail you out for your mistakes you try to play way too conservative so you dont make any, and that wont win many games playing that way.

Dicdonya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 01:32 AM
lsx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dicdonya View Post
you keep pointing out the 37 other saves, even with them his sv% was .902. thats not going to cut it.

Number of shots or saves does not matter, if it did the sharks would have won twice as many games with the amount of shots they've taken all year.

The two games we won recently he had sv% at .929ish and .970ish. I would say that .920 range is right about where we need him to really help win games. Its great he made 37 saves but letting in 4 goals is not gunna win many games, and letting in the backbreaker at the end of the game is really not gunna help the team with confidence that they are desperatly trying to get.

I think any realistic fan will agree that Niemi can be good sometimes, I went to both the nashville and detroit game and was extremely happy to say to my pals that niemi was looking great, and look what happened, the team played great the whole game too. They fed off each other and the team looked a LOT faster than usual possibly in part because they felt they could play aggressive knowing their goalie was stepping his game up that night along with them.

The players do not have the luxury of "hoping" niemi wont give any weak goals up every game, they have to KNOW he wont so that they can play with confidence in front of him. No matter how much you want to blame everyone in front of him, if you as a player know your goalie will rarely bail you out for your mistakes you try to play way too conservative so you dont make any, and that wont win many games playing that way.

Old
03-21-2012, 01:35 AM
SactoShork
fun must be alwalys

SactoShork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 01:38 AM
Brent Burns
Ryane Cloews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lebanezer View Post
Nothing cures depression quite like a spot on Nick Cage impression

Quote:

Brent Burns is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 01:39 AM
Hold the Pickles

Wow, their 4th goal was a bummer. Really, we shouldn't have been in the game anyway but damn, that was harsh. Sure glad I wasn't drinking tonight.

Hold the Pickles is offline   Reply With Quote