HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Sharks/Kings talk continued

Old
03-21-2012, 01:40 AM
Lebanezer

vCash: 500
I know everyone is analyzing everything about the team's system, personnel and coaching staff, but I'm starting to believe that the team as a whole is just emotionally spent. I don't know if it's personal stuff, or the past failures, but there is clearly something that isn't going well for any of them emotionally. It's like a black hole too, it's affecting guys who have been on the team for 10 games.

Lebanezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 01:42 AM
poppap527

Did we give up when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? HELL NO!!!!!

poppap527 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 01:42 AM
Rude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dicdonya View Post
That last goal is exactly, EXACTLY the type of goal a cup winning goalie can not allow to go in.

-Rude

Rude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 01:47 AM
SJFanQC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rude View Post

-Rude
Toews, Kane, Hossa, Sharp, Ladd, Versteeg, Byfuglien, Bolland, Madden, Brouwer, Keith, Seabrook, Campbell, Hjalmarsson, Sopel... they were pretty deep.

And Niemi was only good against us IIRC (meaning he's truly a back-up). Sure he was better than the Philadelphia goalies... that doesn't really mean much.

Edit : Yeah... .882 in SCF, .898 in 2nd round, and half the games in the 1st round he was below .900...

http://espn.go.com/nhl/player/gamelo...10/antti-niemi

And that's going for the stats. Watching the actual games, he wasn't much better than those stats say.

SJFanQC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 01:49 AM
Lebanezer

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppap527 View Post

Would post the video except it's uncensored on youtube.

Lebanezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Phu

Quote:
you keep pointing out the 37 other saves, even with them his sv% was .902. thats not going to cut it.

Number of shots or saves does not matter, if it did the sharks would have won twice as many games with the amount of shots they've taken all year.

The two games we won recently he had sv% at .929ish and .970ish. I would say that .920 range is right about where we need him to really help win games. Its great he made 37 saves but letting in 4 goals is not gunna win many games, and letting in the backbreaker at the end of the game is really not gunna help the team with confidence that they are desperatly trying to get.

I think any realistic fan will agree that Niemi can be good sometimes, I went to both the nashville and detroit game and was extremely happy to say to my pals that niemi was looking great, and look what happened, the team played great the whole game too. They fed off each other and the team looked a LOT faster than usual possibly in part because they felt they could play aggressive knowing their goalie was stepping his game up that night along with them.

The players do not have the luxury of "hoping" niemi wont give any weak goals up every game, they have to KNOW he wont so that they can play with confidence in front of him. No matter how much you want to blame everyone in front of him, if you as a player know your goalie will rarely bail you out for your mistakes you try to play way too conservative so you dont make any, and that wont win many games playing that way.
Amen. As we have seen too many times this season, solid goaltending can overcome shot domination.

Phu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
SactoShark
💤

vCash: 3000
Can't believe that cup didn't get past him short side.

SactoShark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 02:01 AM
Hold the Pickles

Well, I not giving up quite yet. Don't get me wrong, I'm FAR from optimistic but you never know. Get hot, win the last 5 in a row going into the PO's.... and I get to sell at least two PO tix .

Hold the Pickles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 02:20 AM
Rude

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJFanQC View Post
Blah, blah, blah... stats, stats, stats.
Sorry, i was just being facetious. Let me try again:

Quote:
That last goal is exactly, EXACTLY the type of goal a cup winning goalie can not allow to go in.

-Rude

Old
03-21-2012, 02:22 AM
Bizz06
#FireDougWilson

vCash: 50
"the Chicago Blackhawks couldve won that cup with Dan Cloutier in net"

-Bizz06

Giguere won a Cup in Anaheim, how well did that work out for Toronto?

Last edited by Bizz06: 03-21-2012 at 02:35 AM.
Bizz06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 02:32 AM
Kitten Mittons

Quote:

-Rude
We get it bro. IT'S NOT THAT FUNNY!!!

Kitten Mittons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 02:34 AM
Graveland
HONE YOUR CRAFT

Graveland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 02:42 AM
Rude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitten Mittons View Post
We get it bro. IT'S NOT THAT FUNNY!!!

-Rude

Old
03-21-2012, 02:42 AM
Bizz06
#FireDougWilson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Les Wynan View Post
****ing hilarious that people will place the blame on Niemi in a game where the Sharks were outshot 42-22.
exactly. A .902 Save Pct. is Elite territory.

Old
03-21-2012, 02:51 AM
Brent Burns
TROTZTROTZTROTZTROTZ

I'd just like to take this opportunity to point out "I told you so" over the course of the last 2 seasons. I haven't had the type of faith in Niemi as I used to in Nabby. Every goalie lets in a few stinkers here and there, but with Niemi you're literally on the edge of your seat with every single puck thrown toward the net (and many times when they're dumped in and he tries to leave the crease and play them).

Brent Burns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 02:54 AM
Dicdonya

Quote:

-Rude
Now please tell me a single goalie in the last decade that niemi is on par with??? Fluery? Osgood? Hasek? Roy? Brodeur? Thomas? Maybe ward in his rookie year? Khabi? Giguere? I could see you make a case for ward and...fluery maybe. The others are obviously miles better than him and posted MUCH better stats then him in the playoffs that it is hilarious how lucky niemi was to be on the hawks that year.

The exception is not the rule, of course it seems DW had the same logic as you, if he has a cup, it must have been because of him!? Lets get him!

Dicdonya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 03:25 AM
Arz1

I hope they trade Nemo so we can actually see the magical difference everyone is talking about. Grass is always greener on the otherside. Just look at how Rinne played vs Edmonton, there's no goalie in the league who could be your superman and never letting in more than 2 goals, hell, even the 2 goals would be too much for this team atm.

The 4th goal was on Nemo but in general they deserved to lose this one, this TEAM just isn't good enough at the moment.

Last edited by Arz1: 03-21-2012 at 03:37 AM.
Arz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 03:49 AM
Rem
this face

Blaming Nemo? Really? Did any of you haters actually see the forwards in action today? I'm not a Niemi lover by any means, but he's far from the problem with this team.

I said it before and I'll say it again. Get rid of Marleau. He's way too meat and potatoes hockey for today's NHL. I don't care how many goals he scores. He has to be the most undynamic (I know thats not a word) "ELITE" player in the game. He only scores with his speed and he's not using it enough with this group. I'm tired of seeing him shoot to chest pads.

I'm NOT saying he's THE problem, but he's one of the big guys we should ship out.

Rem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 04:01 AM
Bizz06
#FireDougWilson

I get more annoyed when Marleau makes lazy and soft plays with the puck than when he shoots into the goalie's chest. I remember a play in the Anaheim game where he was stripped from the puck at the offensive blue line in the first period and directly led to 4-5 shots against at the other end.

Old
03-21-2012, 04:34 AM
Dicdonya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapid eye movemenT View Post
Blaming Nemo? Really? Did any of you haters actually see the forwards in action today? I'm not a Niemi lover by any means, but he's far from the problem with this team.

I said it before and I'll say it again. Get rid of Marleau. He's way too meat and potatoes hockey for today's NHL. I don't care how many goals he scores. He has to be the most undynamic (I know thats not a word) "ELITE" player in the game. He only scores with his speed and he's not using it enough with this group. I'm tired of seeing him shoot to chest pads.

I'm NOT saying he's THE problem, but he's one of the big guys we should ship out.
Yup lets get rid of a guy who has scored an average of 70pts a season over the last 7 seasons and is one of the very few speed players on this team. That would be smart, we can replace him with..............................

Oh yeah thats right who cares about the points its his heart, he obviously does not care about winning or losing, lets get a bunch of players that show all their emotion all the time, good or bad, that really helps when your players show just how pissed off they are when losing to the other team, im sure that does not egg on the other team to just rub it in even harder, nor does playing with too much emotion ever lead players to take really stupid, ill advised, and ill timed penalties......

Im sorry for being combative its nothing personal but can you really tell me any other player that is actually available that will provide close to 70+ points a year that has equal/better skills than marleau and that will come at the same cap hit or even slightly higher?

Old
03-21-2012, 04:35 AM
Janney

Quote:
Keep that part in mind...now look below

Quote:

On one hand you're making a blanket statement about people who don't support Niemi by calling them "haters". Then on the other hand you're making comments that don't support Marleau. Now I'm curious to know what that makes you...

All this, "haters" BS is getting old. Recently it's been present more than ever with the debate of Antti Niemi's play. As soon as you start to deviate from the point and start calling folks "haters" you pretty much lose all credibility. The reason you lose credibility is because that's a classic example of becoming defensive. By attacking the folks instead of making any proper counterpoints, your stance becomes weightless. For some reason people feel that by debasing the other person into a nonsensical "hater" you sound more intelligent or superior. Well, you don't...so cut it out. All it does is instigate crap between posters and nothing meaningful ever comes out of it.

The team is where it's at because of the players, not because of any of the posters here...so wtf are we acting like dicks to each other for?! These last few GDT's have been especially unbearable! "You guys are just haters"..."some people don't understand hockey"..."lol your post makes no sense"..."where are the haters now, lol"...just cut this **** out already!!! I mean ****! Alright, just ****ing ****!

(Rapid Eye, a lot of this stuff wasn't specified to you, it was more of a general rant, don't take it personally)

Janney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 04:38 AM
Bizz06
#FireDougWilson

Quote:
can you really tell me any other player that is actually available that will provide close to 70+ points a year that has equal/better skills than marleau and that will come at the same cap hit or even slightly higher?
Rick Nash

oh wait, you weren't asking me.

Old
03-21-2012, 04:48 AM
Dicdonya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bizz06 View Post
Rick Nash

oh wait, you weren't asking me.
Yup 62points a year and over a mil more per year and he brings what that marleau doesnt?

Everyone already brings up how much he can float around during games, something people seem to hate about marleau, you know his whole disappearing act thing.

Also we gotta trade for him, even if we send marleau the other way, we probably have to add to get him, what else do you really think we can give up from our already horrid prospect pool or roster players that they would actually want without further destroying our depth?

Old
03-21-2012, 04:53 AM
Bizz06
#FireDougWilson

62 points a year playing on the wing with centers that are 3rd liners on most other clubs over the last few years. Put him on Thornton's wing and he's a perennial 90 point scorer easily.

Old
03-21-2012, 05:00 AM
Tom Black
Rookie User

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppap527 View Post
ähmm ... wasnt that the japanese

Tom Black is offline   Reply With Quote