HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Hockey Fights
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Hockey Fights Discuss and rate hockey fights and fighters of today and from the past. Videos welcome!

Anti-fighting fans how do you like this idea?

Old
03-21-2012, 05:06 PM
Embryo*

vCash: 500
I saw a funny facebook post about what should be done to people who want to ban fighting in sports.

Embryo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 05:17 PM
malPHONEY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayor Bee View Post
Make it part of the deal for the new CBA. Cut the active roster by 1 (23 to 22) and the dressed roster by 1 (18 to 17), with the tradeoff being that there will be two new expansion teams by the end of the new CBA expiring.

That would result in 30 total roster spots being lost, but 44 being added.
I actually really like that idea.

I think we still have room for a couple of expansions because there are not yet teams that perpetually suck for reasons other than bad ownership.

malPHONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 05:59 PM
Sonny Lamateena

vCash: 50
Quote:
3) The only way to purge fighting would be to hand out game misconducts for what is determined to be a staged fight, with escalating punishments from there. The instigator would have to go from a minor to a major and a game misconduct, and would be waived only in the event of an immediate response to a cheap shot. Nothing next game, nothing next period, nothing next shift.
Their is a simple way to address player safety and fighting.

1 Make visors mandatory.
2 Helmets must be worn at all times on the ice, if a player loses or removes their helmet they must immediately go to their bench.

Players are safer and their is no need to change any rules about fighting, it will be gone or a rare occurrence where the biggest concern will be damaging their hands and not their brains.

Sonny Lamateena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 06:06 PM
fly4apuckguy
Mr. Old School

I don't believe in keeping fighting in the game simply because it entertains people. Some people enjoy the "World's Most Shocking" video series where people are killed, too. Sick stuff. Fighting for the sake of entertainment is an outdated, barbaric act.

You would think I am against fighting, right?

Not at all. Having played the game, I understand the need for it. I understand how intensity can create a situation where the only safe (believe it or not) way to settle it is to fight. I hate to admit it, but in leagues I was not allowed to fight in, I used my stick instead. I am not proud of it, but when I saw red....look out.

Anyway, I don't mind the rules as they are now, but I would be more inclined to get rid of players who serve no other purpose in the sport than to fight. But I would not want a game where Jarome Iginla can't fight.

fly4apuckguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 06:09 PM
HolyShot*
Sniper

Penalize all fighting with suspensions. Penalize all illegal and suspect hits with heavy suspensions. Without the need to avenge those types of hits, fights will decrease. Every team rolls a big fourth line and your problem is solved. That's how the game SHOULD evolve.

HolyShot* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 06:46 PM
seeweed

i can just tell the wimps apart from the rest. go watch european hockey and see how that game is so much better than our game. the stickwork reaches the sky.

someone should just tell the lawyers to stop trying to change the damn rules. the NHL is the only league that constantly changes the rules.

i'm old school. i love the fighting. stop trying to control the fighting and let it happen. wayne gretzky is not wayne gretzky without semenko. steve yzerman is not steve yzerman without the late probert.

remove the stupid instigator and the 3rd man in rules, and watch the stars never be touched again. and all the face washing, all the stupid scrums after whistles will fade away.

the game has evolved into robots on ice.

seeweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 07:59 PM
E Nixson
Powered by Intel

If you get a game misconduct for fighting, players will just start gooning it up in the last minute of the game when they are losing.

E Nixson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 08:20 PM
WorkingOvertime

Quote:
Originally Posted by malPHONEY View Post
I wouldn't necessarily call it staged, but it's having to watch talentless guys like Trevor Gillies fight the other team's talentless guy just for the sake of fighting that angers me day in and day out. It just waters the game down.

The day in which every player in the NHL is there because he has any ounce of talent is the day I'll stop complaining.
Trevor Gillies is not an NHL player this season- I don't know why you choose an AHL player to show your position. Many of the enforcers from recent years have been demoted to the AHL or other leagues. Your days of complaining may be over soon.

IMO the declining amount of pure enforcers is the best thing for fighting in the NHL. With fewer players in the league only for fighting, the skill level increases and the meaning of fights increases. Fighting should be kept and enforcers should continue to be minimized IMO.

WorkingOvertime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 08:50 PM
JETZZZ

MMA and boxing have had simmilar problems with their sports where fights have been interupted by hockey games breaking out during them.

JETZZZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 08:52 PM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

If it were me, I would find ways to make it easier for fighting all the way through. The playoffs when the Ducks won the cup were the best i've ever seen by far.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 09:16 PM
malPHONEY

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorkingOvertime View Post
Trevor Gillies is not an NHL player this season- I don't know why you choose an AHL player to show your position. Many of the enforcers from recent years have been demoted to the AHL or other leagues. Your days of complaining may be over soon.

IMO the declining amount of pure enforcers is the best thing for fighting in the NHL. With fewer players in the league only for fighting, the skill level increases and the meaning of fights increases. Fighting should be kept and enforcers should continue to be minimized IMO.
Gillies played 3 games in the NHL this year. That is 3 games too many.

malPHONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 09:17 PM
Play4Miracles*
1 nation under Oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by drs151 View Post
If you couldnt get you're way about removing fighting from hockey would this be a good substitute?

I know the whole head trauma argument is a good case made by you fans. So heres what I prupose

1. A limit on how many fights you can have in a season before heavy suspensions and fines. I dont know what a good number would be but lets say 10.

2. If you suffer a concussion in a fight you are not aloud to fight for the rest of the season. If the players concussion is so bad that it goes longer than a year then obviously until you are cleared to play. This would prevent doctors from clearing lesser end players quicker. Also have some independant doctors diagnose the players (I dont know if this is done or not already)

I think this would force teams to make sure they get the best 3rd and 4th line players available with the fear of their players not being able to fight after a concussion. I guess they could get an AHLer or something after a players concussion so maybe only original NHL rosters are aloud to fight unless they are brining up players that have a certain high degree of offensive production (then obviously they wouldnt be goons and not big fighters anyways)

All of these circumstances would then get rid of the so called goons which should lower staged fights which I believe many people hate anyways.

So this post can be made for anyone really not just anti fighters. I am very aware more and more people are viewing fighting differently. Surely there has to be a common ground?

I realize im probably going to get ripped apart on this as Im not very good at coming up with new ideas for the game. So be nice. Its just something Ive been thinking about that a middle ground should beable to satisfy the large majority of the fans.
NO!!

Me want FACE SMASH!!

ME WANT FACE SMASH!!!

Play4Miracles* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 10:47 PM
du5566*

I want to fight people who say fighting should be banned in hockey.

Haha, seriously though I love fighting in hockey and want to see the league get rid of the instigator penalty. Fighting in the NHL is not going away in my opinion. If people don't like it then don't watch it.

And for the record the potential banning of fighting in the juniors hasn't happened yet and even if it does it has nothing to do with the NHL. You can't compare kids to professional athletes. It's apples and oranges. The NHL is not going to follow the juniors. That's not the way it works.

du5566* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 11:00 PM
fly4apuckguy
Mr. Old School

Quote:
Originally Posted by seeweed View Post
i can just tell the wimps apart from the rest. go watch european hockey and see how that game is so much better than our game. the stickwork reaches the sky.

someone should just tell the lawyers to stop trying to change the damn rules. the NHL is the only league that constantly changes the rules.

i'm old school. i love the fighting. stop trying to control the fighting and let it happen. wayne gretzky is not wayne gretzky without semenko. steve yzerman is not steve yzerman without the late probert.

remove the stupid instigator and the 3rd man in rules, and watch the stars never be touched again. and all the face washing, all the stupid scrums after whistles will fade away.

I would argue that people should have evolved past a point where a fantastic game like hockey needs to rely on violence to entertain a certain segment of the population that relates more to butality than skill and passion.

As I have previously stated, I have no problem with a spontaneous hockey fight, but violence in order to entertain the lowest common denominator of people is not an evolution of anything, including this sport.

It has nothing to do with being a wimp. If you saw me, wimp is pretty much the last word that would come into your mind. But I AM educated and intelligent, aside from being rather large and not afraid of anyone. I realize that I don't need to see someone pounding another person in the face to be entertained. Forgive me, I'm unusual that way.

Old school? I am old school, too, I suppose because I think a spontaneous fight is both necessary and a part of the game. But old school isn't perfect. People who wax poetic about the good ol' times often remember the best parts and leave out (conveniently) the worst of those times. Those good old days were not perfect. There was a lot of fighting in 1969. Just ask Ted Green how that helped him sometime.

fly4apuckguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 11:03 PM
KingWantsCup
Super Saiyan Hank

vCash: 50
I don't see how you could be a hockey fan and not like fighting. This is a man's game and the only sport outside of actual fighting sports that you have a chance to settle something one on one. Not only that but the vast majority of fans love it. Do you ever hear boos reigning down during a fight? No. Literally never. Because people enjoy watching fights and it's an accepted part of the game.

KingWantsCup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2012, 09:23 AM
PlagerBros*

Quote:

1) If the NHL did not have a goon culture in the past Gretzky would not have needed Semenko.

2) Do you think change is bad in all aspects of your life?

PlagerBros* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2012, 09:34 AM
PlagerBros*

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingWantsCup View Post
I don't see how you could be a hockey fan and not like fighting. This is a man's game and the only sport outside of actual fighting sports that you have a chance to settle something one on one. Not only that but the vast majority of fans love it. Do you ever hear boos reigning down during a fight? No. Literally never. Because people enjoy watching fights and it's an accepted part of the game.
1) So your logic is:
a) It's a man's game
b) No other sport let's you settle things one on one
c) Fans love it
d) No boos
In that case:
a) and b) We should go back to the days of clubbing players with sticks, slashing a player for simply trying to use speed and skill to go around you, pounding on players when they are laying on the ice defenseless, etc.
c) If they love it so much then you and the NHL should be ok with fights over goals scored. You should also know that the vast majority prefer goals and skill over fights.
d) Booing is the be all in life!

2) Can't one like fights in hockey but think staged fights are stupid and should result in harsh penalties? Can't one like fights in hockey but realize that the game is still great if there are no fights due to the great skills of the players and the games.

PlagerBros* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2012, 09:37 AM
Mothra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papaspud View Post
Fights used to happen with regularity during the Play-offs. The "Instigator" Rule has put a stop to most of that. And THAT has caused problems in and of itself. Facewashes? Just take it. Cheapshot? Just accept it.
If you drop the gloves, and the deserving miscreant doesn't...you sit. Sad state of affairs
not this tired arguement again.......

players jump players after hard but clean hits......the idea that the instigator prevents players from doing anything after dirty hits is absurd.....again, we see it after clean his.

Fighting will never be "gone". Its not allowed in other sports and it still happens.....what will be gone one day are the silly staged fights. The idea that the instigating call is the main reason there are cheap shots is just a lame belief by those who simply just want more fighting, which is fine if thats what you want......but just say that. Nothing wrong with saying "i just want more fighting"

Mothra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2012, 09:39 AM
Mothra

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingWantsCup View Post
Do you ever hear boos during shootouts (save for booing the oppostition)?

Shootouts and 3 point games must be great for the NHL. Not sure how any hockey fan would feel otherwise

Old
03-22-2012, 09:44 AM
Mothra

Quote:

Yes....because there were never any scrums or facewashes before the instigator

old school you are not....laughable you are

Old
03-22-2012, 09:57 AM
Brooklanders*

Quote:

The Nfl constantly changes the rules. NHL is the only team sport that condones fighting. If Bettman had his way he would probably ban it. I love hard clean hits and physical play. I cannot bare to watch unskilled goons. Serious fines and suspensions would do away with staged fighting as they should with dangerous play. Goons are almost extinct in todAys NHL anyways.
Increased Clutching and grabbing along with excess fighting help slow the game down. I dislike fighting but still feel there is a place for it in some cases. I would like it be seriously scrutinized and regulated.
Goons need to go so we can watch skill and exciting fast play with hard clean checks and physical play.

Brooklanders* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2012, 10:06 AM
Therick67

Quote:
Originally Posted by fly4apuckguy View Post
I would argue that people should have evolved past a point where a fantastic game like hockey needs to rely on violence to entertain a certain segment of the population that relates more to butality than skill and passion.

As I have previously stated, I have no problem with a spontaneous hockey fight, but violence in order to entertain the lowest common denominator of people is not an evolution of anything, including this sport.

It has nothing to do with being a wimp. If you saw me, wimp is pretty much the last word that would come into your mind. But I AM educated and intelligent, aside from being rather large and not afraid of anyone. I realize that I don't need to see someone pounding another person in the face to be entertained. Forgive me, I'm unusual that way.

Old school? I am old school, too, I suppose because I think a spontaneous fight is both necessary and a part of the game. But old school isn't perfect. People who wax poetic about the good ol' times often remember the best parts and leave out (conveniently) the worst of those times. Those good old days were not perfect. There was a lot of fighting in 1969. Just ask Ted Green how that helped him sometime.
Ted Green got hit over the head with a stick. Had they dropped the gloves and fought, the outcome would probably have been much better for Ted.

Also, only uneducated people who aren't intelligent like fighting in hockey?

Therick67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2012, 10:07 AM
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Therick67 View Post
Ted Green got hit over the head with a stick. Had they dropped the gloves and fought, the outcome would probably have been much better for Ted.

Also, only uneducated people who aren't intelligent like fighting in hockey?
Fighting was an option at the time, and yet stick-swinging duels existed all the way through about 1985. One has nothing to do with the other.

Mayor Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2012, 10:13 AM
Therick67

Quote:
Fighting was an option at the time, and yet stick-swinging duels existed all the way through about 1985. One has nothing to do with the other.
Exactly, not sure why it was mentioned -- it has nothing to do with fighting. A fight in that case would have been a better option, for Ted Green anyway.

Therick67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2012, 10:35 AM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Knight414 View Post
Taking fighting out of the game, or heavily fining it is like a worse version of the instigator rule. Allowing rats to run around without having to answer for their actions.
just stop with this. this is as wrong a misconception of what used to be as there is.

back in the day when they could fight all they wanted to, the fighters opened the road for the rats and they were worse. its like people think that the dave schultz, bobby clarke flyers were an honest team after all the fighting. bobby clarke was king of the rats.

bobby clarke never HAD to answer for anything.

here's the reality. to police the other team you must first prove your police is stronger than the opposing police. otherwise your police is as effective as the chicago police in policing capone.

txpd is online now   Reply With Quote