HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Why do you think Colin Wilson is getting scratched?

Old
03-21-2012, 09:17 AM
hoosierpred

vCash: 500
Why do you think Colin Wilson is getting scratched?

Now, i understand why coach might be unhappy with his one on 4 zone entries where he looses the puck, but that can be corrected and the ability to enter without having to dump should be something that this team works on. What can't be taught is the ability to create your own shot and pick spots on the net. Radulov will help with this but last nights game was a good illustration of a lot of shots going directly into the goalies chest. Not having better shooters on the ice probably cost us 2 goals last night. Also, Wilson is probably one of the physically strongest players we have for gritty board battles.

hoosierpred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 09:25 AM
AtlantaWhaler
Thrash/Preds/Sabres

He's injured, I believe.

AtlantaWhaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 09:27 AM
VFL615*

Wilson is hurt and i would imagine Trotz is being careful with him because he will be greatly needed to anchor an effective 3rd line for a huge week next week and the playoffs. I am sure he also thought the rest of the guys should have no problems with the Ducks and Oilers I bet you see him this weekend.

VFL615* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 09:28 AM
kypredsfan
Weber is OUR captain

Said he aggravated his groin during morning skate Saturday

kypredsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 09:39 AM
gopreds19
Formerly gobears19

Should have never been scratched in the first place. No wonder guys are uneasy about re-signing. Trotz' stupid dog house.

Hartnell, Rads, Hamhuis, Wilson, now Smith. Who else has found his way into there?

gopreds19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 09:43 AM
hoosierpred

thanks, when i saw that he was listed as a healthy scratch, i didn't consider that he might have a little nagging injury justifying some rest.

hoosierpred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 10:24 AM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopreds19 View Post
Should have never been scratched in the first place. No wonder guys are uneasy about re-signing. Trotz' stupid dog house.

Hartnell, Rads, Hamhuis, Wilson, now Smith. Who else has found his way into there?
Wilson's own words revealed he knew exactly why he was scratched.

101st_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2012, 02:56 PM
Fortheloveofthegame

Quote:
Originally Posted by 101st_fan View Post
Wilson's own words revealed he knew exactly why he was scratched.
The interview I read did not give me the idea he knew why he was scratched. I am like most posters in thinking he never should have been scratched.
Defensively he has not been the liability that some mention. Offensively, he is a threat and so hard to knock off the puck. He is one of your few creative minds that can throw the D and goalies off....instead of constantly shooting and driving the net, and hoping for the best.
I would not be surprised to see him playing against the Preds next season.
In following guys like the obvious, Hartnell, etc. and even Santorelli and Jones for that matter who could not crack past the 4 th line, and seeing them have success with other " systems ", it may be the best thing for both sides.

Fortheloveofthegame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2012, 03:16 PM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwhiteandblue View Post
The interview I read did not give me the idea he knew why he was scratched. I am like most posters in thinking he never should have been scratched.
Defensively he has not been the liability that some mention. Offensively, he is a threat and so hard to knock off the puck. He is one of your few creative minds that can throw the D and goalies off....instead of constantly shooting and driving the net, and hoping for the best.
In following guys like the obvious, Hartnell, etc. and even Santorelli and Jones for that matter who could not crack past the 4 th line, and seeing them have success with other " systems ", it may be the best thing for both sides.
how exactly would he be playing against the preds next year?

he's a restricted free agent. poile will match any reasonable offer.

he tweaked his groin, he will play when he's healthy.

PredsV82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2012, 03:20 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Or Ward, don't forget Ward...

Wilson was injured according to Trotz.

triggrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2012, 04:06 PM
Fortheloveofthegame

Wilson has been scratched twice this season. From the last one, I am guessing he decided after the scratch to nurse what appears to be a groin injury. Probably the worst thing to do for a bad groin is play sporadic minutes through a game, as was happening. Better to make sure it is healed before returning.
The idea that he had been scratched twice in the first place is what concerns people.
He had played consistent, responsible hockey this season, but apparently still warranted a scratch.
The question is, do the brass see him as a integral part of this teams future? If not, he may be traded in the off season.

Fortheloveofthegame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2012, 04:15 PM
predfan24

Quote:
Wilson has been scratched twice this season. From the last one, I am guessing he decided after the scratch to nurse what appears to be a groin injury. Probably the worst thing to do for a bad groin is play sporadic minutes through a game, as was happening. Better to make sure it is healed before returning.
The idea that he had been scratched twice in the first place is what concerns people.
He had played consistent, responsible hockey this season, but apparently still warranted a scratch.
The question is, do the brass see him as a integral part of this teams future? If not, he may be traded in the off season.
I'm a big Willy fan and even though he has been more consistent this year than last he still has been painfully inconsistent at times. For a few games he will look like one of the best players on the ice and then the next few he will be hardly noticeable.

predfan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2012, 04:35 PM
MrJoshua

I would hardly say he's been playing "consistent, responsible hockey". He has as much offensive talent as anyone on the team; more than most. And I'm all for guys trying to be more creative with the puck. Wilson's problem is that he still has trouble figuring out WHEN to try to get creative. He'd had a few bad turnovers recently in dangerous sections of the ice. I wasn't surprised to hear he'd been scratched.

Don't read too much into it, though. He's still one of the top nine players on the team, new additions included. And I'm looking forward to seeing what he can do once he's healthy and back on the ice. A third line of Wilson-Gaustad-A.Kostitsyn could be a real nice line in the playoffs. Two wingers that can score and get creative with a big, defensively-responsible center that can grind the puck and dig along the boards? I'm hoping to see it.

MrJoshua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2012, 04:53 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Quote:
Wilson stated his game was lacking "detail" and his defense and forechecking weren't where the staff wanted them.

Hartnell didn't make it past the 4th line? Multiple 20+ goal seasons as a Pred from the 4th line is amazing.

Old
03-22-2012, 04:56 PM
dubgeek

I really like Wilson for the same reasons mentioned here. He's creative, strong and has tremendous potential. What irks me is how often he goes dancing around in the corner with the puck trying to shake loose. That won't play in the NHL. He's gotten better, but he continues to do it a couple times every game. He has to learn that if he can't break free in one or two moves it's time to cycle the puck. Once he figures that part out I think you'll see him make huge strides in his effectiveness.

dubgeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2012, 05:05 PM
gopreds19
Formerly gobears19

Quote:
Wilson stated his game was lacking "detail" and his defense and forechecking weren't where the staff wanted them.

Hartnell didn't make it past the 4th line? Multiple 20+ goal seasons as a Pred from the 4th line is amazing.
What I got from his quotes was: "I guess they think I need to work on some things.....", not necessarily saying that he's 100% in agreeance with them. I'm not either.

gopreds19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2012, 05:24 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopreds19 View Post
What I got from his quotes was: "I guess they think I need to work on some things.....", not necessarily saying that he's 100% in agreeance with them. I'm not either.
So he's playing his responsibilities perfectly on the forecheck and defensively? Or at least average for the rest of our forwards?

The selfawareness should be there ... if it's not, he's got serious issues with delusion.

Old
03-22-2012, 05:30 PM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

Wilson has shown longer stretches of good play, and flashes of the kind of play you'd expect from a #7 overall pick, but when you look at his numbers he really hasnt progressed all that much from last year

He needs to find consistency and another gear if he wants to play any higher than the third line

(wont mind if his numbers keep his contract demands reasonable this summer, I must say..... but all the same I'll be happy of he erupts with a scoring spree in the playoffs...

PredsV82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2012, 05:32 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Wilson must be the greatest thing ever and the "groin tweak" is nothing more than a Trozian conspiracy to torment the message boards.

Old
03-22-2012, 05:42 PM
NoNecksCurse

I believe that wilson is injured. but I also believe he would be scratched even if he was healthy.. lets face it. he is in trotz doghouse... he is the new hartnell. he has more offensive talent than about anyone on our roster except rads, erat, maybe another or so. trotz needs to realize not every forward is going to excel in his system as david legwand. wilson is offense first and thats okay.. if the ol coach doesn't like it.. maybe he should be traded this summer if we can re sign 2 of rads, sk, and ak. nothing wrong with that. sometimes players and coaches/systems don't gel.. trotz has proved his system works over and over.. lets see if it can take us to the next level without guys like wilson that "lack detail"

NoNecksCurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2012, 06:02 PM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

I personally find the healthy scratchings of Wilson justified. He's trying to do too much and do it all by himself. He should be experienced enough by now to know that isn't how you play the game here. This is just pure speculation, but I'd guess that Wilson keeps doing things the coaching staff tells him not to do (stuff like dangling thru defenders instead of dumping, making risky passes instead of cycling, etc.).

He's injured right now though. I think he'd be back in otherwise.

Paranoid Android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2012, 06:12 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

If he was healthy, he would have been in Tuesday. With Radulov in the lineup and him primarily playing wing ... Wilson is competing for ice time now.

Old
03-22-2012, 06:17 PM
NoNecksCurse

Quote:
If he was healthy, he would have been in Tuesday. With Radulov in the lineup and him primarily playing wing ... Wilson is competing for ice time now.
yepp we have a log jam and more at wing.. with the top 4 of 8 locked up to sk, erat, rads, hornqvist.. that leaves 4 spots for ak, bourque, wilson, yip, tootoo, halischuk, and smith (unless he is playing center)

Old
03-22-2012, 06:17 PM
tserberis*

Quote:
IMO Wilson should be in over Yip regardless...

tserberis* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2012, 06:23 PM
NoNecksCurse

Quote:
Originally Posted by tserberis View Post
IMO Wilson should be in over Yip regardless...
definitely.. yip would be a scratch and bourque in MIL we have enough depth now with radulov back.. too many scratches