HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > Canadian Junior Hockey > OHL
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

*OFFICIAL* Windsor Spitfires 2011-12 Season Thread (Pt.8)

Old
03-29-2012, 11:39 PM
OHLTG

vCash: 500
I'm not sure how to feel about this one. I was ecstatic to get into the playoffs and, aside from this game, we really competed hard against the top team in the West. You can't hang your head at that, as frustrating as it might be.

Then you get a game like this, where the team seems to sit back after it's a three-goal deficit, and not really care. It's tough to watch. I don't know if they gave up or what happened, but something simply fell apart in the last 30 minutes.

It was almost a fitting end to the season as there were times of toe-to-toe games, but also times of "are they going to skate?"

I really enjoyed the "We Want Cullen!" chants Laughing I know he's not the greatest goaltender (tonight not withstanding), but he's done a lot for the club and deserved the playing time. The standing ovation he got was well-deserved.

The Spitfires lose Cullen, MacQueen, and Holden. I'll miss Cullen, as he was one of the most vocal, animated players we've seen in some time. I'm mixed on MacQueen as he's a good kid, and has the talent to do something in hockey, but he tries to do more than he should and it burns him. I can see him playing University hockey somewhere (maybe Windsor?). Holden never grew on me, sorry, so it's tough to give a solid opinion. Dare I say he was the Craig Voakes of this season? Acquired, but little impact?

It'll be fun to watch the youngsters grow as next year unfolds. This team should make noise and there's no reason expect anything less than challenging for the West Finals.

I'm not happy to see this season end so early. It's tough going to the rink knowing there's a very good chance it'll be your last time until September. So much can happen between now and then. I can't believe how fast this season went by. It feels like I just hung out with Libbs behind the benches during training camp.

Sure will be an interesting summer...

Quote:
I thought BB did something good letting Cullen go in after Section 103...
You're welcome

OHLTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 11:54 PM
mini2z

We were chanting for Cully in 119 too! Definitely he's the only one I'll miss. Hopefully someone steps up and takes a leadership role because we need a true captain to rally the boys. It seemed like the year of the Lost Boys.

I will still be a STH next season. Bring on the draft and changes....

I know I lurk a lot but I find you guys to be a great group.

mini2z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 12:29 AM
Smashhouse92

Quote:
Originally Posted by mini2z View Post
We were chanting for Cully in 119 too! Definitely he's the only one I'll miss. Hopefully someone steps up and takes a leadership role because we need a true captain to rally the boys. It seemed like the year of the Lost Boys.

I will still be a STH next season. Bring on the draft and changes....

I know I lurk a lot but I find you guys to be a great group.
Well if Cully goes to the University of Windsor like McQueen then i could see all the boys staying close i mean McQueen, Vail, Posa went and saw the Lancers game a few weeks back when Lanoue was hurt so they should all be close still

Smashhouse92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 01:04 AM
OHLFan8771

I have seen some Windsor fans that are not to happy with marchese's play. What is everyone else's take now that you have seen him play quite a bit?

OHLFan8771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 01:44 AM
OHLTG

I'm neutral on him. You can see the potential there - solid hands, a willingness to work, backs up his teammates - but he doesn't show up every night. His attitude is good (from what I've seen in interviews), so maybe it's just youth, I don't know. Next year will be a telling tale for me.

Old
03-30-2012, 06:21 AM
hockeylegend11

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHLTG View Post
I'm neutral on him. You can see the potential there - solid hands, a willingness to work, backs up his teammates - but he doesn't show up every night. His attitude is good (from what I've seen in interviews), so maybe it's just youth, I don't know. Next year will be a telling tale for me.
I feel the same way,think next year will be the tell tale
If he gets drafted,and I feel he will ,he will have to realize to bring it every night
I have had discussions with him,he genuinely loves it here and I do think that he will continue to improve in all areas of his game,as well as paying attention to conditioning and attitude

hockeylegend11 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 08:19 AM
Libbs

I feel the opposite about the chants... just goes to show how fickle the fans are in Windsor. It was a smack in the face to Pavelka who, if you had forgotten, was about the only reason the first 3 games were close.

Libbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 08:25 AM
RayzorIsDull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottersfan View Post
I have seen some Windsor fans that are not to happy with marchese's play. What is everyone else's take now that you have seen him play quite a bit?
To continue I think I finally put my finger on who Marchese reminds me of. He reminds me of another former Spitfire they got from Erie, his name was Jason Polera. Both players were about the same size, didn't show a lot of interest in back checking. Mind you they both could put the puck in the net if they were focused and wanted to play that night. Polera might be a bit more talented but the comparisons are definitely there.

RayzorIsDull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 08:29 AM
RayzorIsDull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libbs View Post
I feel the opposite about the chants... just goes to show how fickle the fans are in Windsor. It was a smack in the face to Pavelka who, if you had forgotten, was about the only reason the first 3 games were close.
Very true. Cullen was the clown prince if you will always laughing, cracking jokes and growing a mullet. He didn't come to play this year and as a reward for all that fans chant his name and want him to come in? It's a shame to because chances are Pavelka won't even be back next year and that's what the fans think of him? Maybe another player can start cracking jokes on the bench and grow a mullet and be revered by the fans.

Old
03-30-2012, 09:02 AM
Ottomatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libbs View Post
Pavelka knew what was up. He knows Cully was graduating out of the league. He also knew it was what 5-1 or 6-1 at the time anyways.

Pav and Cully are buddies.

Ottomatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 09:05 AM
Ottomatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by dereksutton9 View Post
So this is the guy that is seen as a better prospect as an OHL 2nd rounder than Hunter Smith?

Nick Schmaltz
http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/p...php?pid=147658

You can't coach 6'-7". Jordan's talent isn't enough for me to think that's enough to make Nick that highly regarded. Plus I didn't realize Hunter had a mean streak with what he did to Maaita.
Scouts will disagree with you. Jordan Schmaltz will probably be an NHL first rounder this upcoming draft, and Nick Schmaltz would go top ten in the OHL draft if he fully committed to the league and would go anywhere.

You pull up his 11 games when he's playing against guys 4-5 years older than him. Look at his stats when he's playing against players his own age with the Chicago Mission.

Last edited by Ottomatic: 03-30-2012 at 09:10 AM.
Ottomatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 09:11 AM
KnightRanger

I was very impressed with the class shown by the Spits last night. All too often when the score starts to get run up a bit in an elimination game you see things get out of hand and that didn't happen. I think these two teams may bump heads again in 2 years in the Western Conference final. I look forward to that!

KnightRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 09:23 AM
RayzorIsDull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottomatic View Post
Scouts will disagree with you. Jordan Schmaltz will probably be an NHL first rounder this upcoming draft, and Nick Schmaltz would go top ten in the OHL draft if he fully committed to the league and would go anywhere.

You pull up his 11 games when he's playing against guys 4-5 years older than him. Look at his stats when he's playing against players his own age with the Chicago Mission.
Right when you look at the resume the younger Schmaltz has put together you can understand why people think highly of him.

Competed in under 16 Winter Youth Olympics USA hockey

In 2011 he competed in the Select 15 Development Camp 12 points in 5 games the 2nd leading scorer

In 2010 led the US Select 14 Hockey Camp with 10 points in 5 games

From fall of 07 to 11 he played for the Chicago Mission and over 115 Tier 1 elite games he had 190 points 91g 99a.

Old
03-30-2012, 09:26 AM
Libbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottomatic View Post
Pavelka knew what was up. He knows Cully was graduating out of the league. He also knew it was what 5-1 or 6-1 at the time anyways.

I don't mind that they switched up goalies... my issue is with the chants.

Old
03-30-2012, 10:16 AM
etr102

Somebody on this board was trying to identify the new Intro song played on the PA for the playoffs.

Through the magic of Shazam for Blackberry, I've determined the song to be "Bangarang (Original Mix)" by Skrillex Feat. Sirah

etr102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 11:30 AM
Libbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by etr102 View Post
Somebody on this board was trying to identify the new Intro song played on the PA for the playoffs.

Through the magic of Shazam for Blackberry, I've determined the song to be "Bangarang (Original Mix)" by Skrillex Feat. Sirah
I love shazam! One of the best aps released for any phone.

Old
03-30-2012, 01:56 PM
OHLTG

Chanting "We Want Cullen" has NOTHING to do with what we feel about Pavelka. Nothing. I'm a fan of Cullen and have been since day one. I know why he wasn't in the line-up (or at least the statistical reason), but I wanted to see him get one last shot at some ice time. My chanting it has absolutely nothing to do with my thoughts towards Pavelka.

Quote:

At least someone gets it! Hell, if I'm Pavelka in the room in the second intermission, I'm telling the coaches and Cullen..."Cullen plays in the third!"

Old
03-30-2012, 03:29 PM
hockeylegend11

Spits this season without Koko in the lineup 3-8-1 and of course 0-4 in the playoffs
With him in the lineup the Spits were 26-24-4-2 during the regular season
Against the Whalers and NF Ice Dogs the 2 best in the O in my opinion the spits were a combined 2-7-1,against the rest of the league the spits were 27-25-4-2,not bad considering their best offensive player Khoklachev missed 11 games against the rest of the league and only 1 against Plymouth and NF,also with the roster turnover,2nd youngest squad in the O and the most difficult schedule re 3 in 3"s in the league,they completed all of them before the last month and a half
I am reasonably pleased with the season thought they would finish 6 or 7th prior to the start of season,but with the early selloff 18 games in to me they reached their target,get into the playoffs and get some experience
Were they inconsistent u betcha
Special teams problematic u betcha
Did some players disappoint for whatever reason,u betcha
Did most players improve from last year ? You betcha,especially Rychel,Vail, Czinder and Clarke
Because I have seen management build teams in the near past do I still have confidence they can do it again,despite changing landscapes U betcha
All in all the future is bright in my opinion,alot of work needs to be done both offensively and defensively,and I fully expect those areas to be addressed this upconing season and beyond leading to 2014

hockeylegend11 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 08:27 PM
Sec108

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnightRanger View Post
I was very impressed with the class shown by the Spits last night. All too often when the score starts to get run up a bit in an elimination game you see things get out of hand and that didn't happen. I think these two teams may bump heads again in 2 years in the Western Conference final. I look forward to that!
Don't be too impressed by the spits lack of say stepping up.This team doesnt have enough physical tools to let things get out of hand.Other than maybe Bilke and Alonge the rest of the team is lacking in physical play and Im not talking about fistcuffs.

Our D is terrible in taking the man with Ebert being worst and Bateman right behind.Its a wonder these 2 dont give the opposing players a kiss on there way to the net.Next year that better change or forget West.Finals. thats for sure.

One thing the coaches need to do right from training camp is to teach them how to check.Alot of them this year were way down the learning curve.

If this was the Spits of yesteryear at the Barn London wouldnt have left unscathed and thats what WR better instill in these kids.Too many teams enjoyed coming to the WFCU Center this year.But the social engineers are up to there old tricks dumbing down their perceived violence so I dont think we can go back to true hockey we once had, which was more about honour than what the Spits showed last night.I think it was the first Windsor/London "love in".LOL!!!!!

As for the OA Spits I will miss......Will be McQueen, I like his grit for his size and always put in the extra effort.I hope he hooks up with the Lancers, Holden didnt get to know much BC of his injury and lack of games in uniform good luck to him and it was nice IMO to give Cully one last shot between the pipes for posterity sake.

Don't hold your breath on getting the Cup in "14 now that the Hunters are also going for hosting.Don't be suprised if Branch's little darlings the Hunters now get it before us,at the beautiful JLC (sarcasm).

And yes (whew) Im Done

Last edited by Sec108: 03-30-2012 at 08:35 PM.
Sec108 is offline   Reply With Quote