HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

CSTV may come to Time Warner...

Closed Thread

Old
11-19-2004, 11:15 AM
Fletch

vCash: 500
CSTV may come to Time Warner...

if MSG and FSNY are cut off Time Warner's system as a result of the non-agreement of the fee per subscriber on TWC's system, and the inclusion of Metro. If there is a blackout, CSTV would be a channel to takes one of MSG's or FSNY's place (CSTV is College Sports TV). I'd be psyched, personally. But what's interesting is that with no Rangers hockey, the possibility of no Mets in the future, Cablevision has the cajones to ask for a rate increase. As it is, if the channels go off the system if there's no agreement, I save $2.00 per month, and I get college hockey games. It's a win-win for me (but I would be sacraficing Wolf Pack games). Cablevision stands to lose a great deal of revenue as a result. That, coupled with the millions they're losing from the Rangers (despite supposed $40 million losses), could hurt them somewhat.

Old
11-19-2004, 12:11 PM
in the hall

I have timewarner and it includes CSTV

Old
11-19-2004, 12:35 PM
NYIsles1*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch
if MSG and FSNY are cut off Time Warner's system as a result of the non-agreement of the fee per subscriber on TWC's system, and the inclusion of Metro. If there is a blackout, CSTV would be a channel to takes one of MSG's or FSNY's place (CSTV is College Sports TV). I'd be psyched, personally. But what's interesting is that with no Rangers hockey, the possibility of no Mets in the future, Cablevision has the cajones to ask for a rate increase. As it is, if the channels go off the system if there's no agreement, I save $2.00 per month, and I get college hockey games. It's a win-win for me (but I would be sacraficing Wolf Pack games). Cablevision stands to lose a great deal of revenue as a result. That, coupled with the millions they're losing from the Rangers (despite supposed $40 million losses), could hurt them somewhat.
I have Time Warner and would love a two dollar reduction and CSTV games/NBA television to classic games and very occasional minor league hockey....

Right now CSTV is a subscription service on Time Warner....

Mixed signals from that article. Cablevision is pulling it's only signature product from Time Warner on Wednesday but they are optimistic of a deal being done. Why set a deadline if they are so optimistic, keep working.

If this is blacked out again Time Warner will be in no rush this time to put a team Dolan completely owns back on television. Spitzer did what he did last time for the Mets, not cablevision.

And by some chance a miracle happens, no televised local hockey......

Last edited by NYIsles1*: 11-19-2004 at 12:41 PM.
Old
11-19-2004, 01:44 PM
Fletch

I think at this point...

Time Warner's using some leverage in the fact that the Rangers aren't playing, the Devils aren't playing and the Islanders aren't playing, in addition to waning Knicks interest and the possibility of losing the Mets during the timeframe in which the contract would be signed to not give Cablevision its increase. Heck, I wouldn't either. It could be a decent blow to Cablevision. 2.3 million subscribers @ $2.90 per month is $80 million per year. Now i'm not familiar with the broadcast model, but I don't think it costs a lot for Cablevision to allow the programs to be aired on additional networks (meaning the incremental above normal programming costs is not much), so that annual amount has a high profit margin, I believe.

Old
11-19-2004, 03:39 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Most digital cable systems such Time Warner,Comcast and Adelphia carry CSTV

Of course,Cablevision's iO digital cable system does not carry CSTV.MSG promotes the Rangers college prospects while at the same time CVC denies their customers the opportunity to watch Al Montoya and Corey Potter on CSTV

It just doesn't make sense but that's Cablevision

Old
11-19-2004, 08:55 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch
Time Warner's using some leverage in the fact that the Rangers aren't playing, the Devils aren't playing and the Islanders aren't playing, in addition to waning Knicks interest and the possibility of losing the Mets during the timeframe in which the contract would be signed to not give Cablevision its increase. Heck, I wouldn't either. It could be a decent blow to Cablevision. 2.3 million subscribers @ $2.90 per month is $80 million per year. Now i'm not familiar with the broadcast model, but I don't think it costs a lot for Cablevision to allow the programs to be aired on additional networks (meaning the incremental above normal programming costs is not much), so that annual amount has a high profit margin, I believe.
I saw an article last week that said the Knicks broadcasts on MSG were up over 40% from last season (around 140,000+ viewers). But, you're right, it is insane to ask for an increase when you have less programming to show than ever before. Kind of like putting Coke in smaller bottles and then advertising how easy they are to pour without adjusting the price.

Old
11-20-2004, 09:42 AM
NYIsles1*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyn Ranger
I saw an article last week that said the Knicks broadcasts on MSG were up over 40% from last season (around 140,000+ viewers). But, you're right, it is insane to ask for an increase when you have less programming to show than ever before. Kind of like putting Coke in smaller bottles and then advertising how easy they are to pour without adjusting the price.
According to Saturday's Newsday, Cablevision had demanded an 18-percent increase in the fees that Time Warner pays to carry the two sports channels and two Metro channels, which Cablevision insisted Time Warner keep carrying.

That's almost the equivalent of the NHL going to Espn last summer and demanding an eighteen percent increase from the old hockey deal that just expired....

Old
11-20-2004, 06:51 PM
ILuvHockey

Send a message via AIM to ILuvHockey
I get the rangers (if they were playing)I don't have time warner. I have comcast. The only thing I have to pay for is FSNY.

Closed Thread