HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Why are we so much better this year?

Old
03-21-2012, 01:10 PM
Vitto79

vCash: 500
I say two main things

1) kids are growing together. This team is so young and maturing infront of our eyes

2) Brad Richards adds that #1 C threat. he may not have the most pts but he's a threat and it opens others up. He is worth the money on that alone thus far.

And of course Hank is God but we already knew that

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 01:12 PM
Riverdale

Quite simply, Everyone has really stepped up (except Dubi scoring wise). A lot of the players have been putting 110% into every game. Hank has been a goaltending God as well.

Maturity
Hard Work
Effort

and maybe a little luck

Riverdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 01:13 PM
GAGLine
HFBoards Sponsor

Actually, this is why:

Quote:
“They were probably the softest team we played on the trip. We should have had these two points.”
Before Thornton said that, we were 4-3-3 (including the win over his sharks).

Since then, we've gone 41-17-4.

Coincidence? I think not. Maybe we can get him to say something else stupid to motivate us for the last 10 games and playoffs.

GAGLine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 01:32 PM
Zuccarello Awesome*

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAGLine View Post
Actually, this is why:

Before Thornton said that, we were 4-3-3 (including the win over his sharks).

Since then, we've gone 41-17-4.

Coincidence? I think not. Maybe we can get him to say something else stupid to motivate us for the last 10 games and playoffs.
Hahaha true. He sure picked the wrong team to call "soft." We lead the league in hits and fights, lol. Thanks Joe.

Zuccarello Awesome* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 02:19 PM
mrjohnnyy

these guys have been together for quite some time now. and not to mention everyone is at the top of their game.

lets go blueshirts.

mrjohnnyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 02:49 PM
Khelvan

Send a message via ICQ to Khelvan Send a message via AIM to Khelvan Send a message via MSN to Khelvan
No Avery.

Khelvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 02:59 PM
Rangerfans

I am not going to go into specifics as to why, but I feel that one major reason is because the majority of the core have grown up and learned to play with each other.

If anyone has played any sort of team competition and has 'grown' with a team, it is abundantly clear that you mature and improve as a team. You become comfortable with one another and learn how each player plays. It becomes a very fluid and smooth game.

Rangerfans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 03:16 PM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizza View Post
Agree with every item. Except I'd put the above on top. Everything flows from that.

This season is a non starter with out Buy In from the players on Torts and his system.
Oh, that was not in any particular order. Every player on the team not only plays and believes in what Torts is preaching, but also police the lockerroom that way. Every player without fail, players specifically the way that Torts wants. THere is no selfishness.

True Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 03:18 PM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangerfans View Post
the majority of the core have grown up and learned to play with each other.
I think that this will only continue and become more and more of a factor. Sort of like what happened with the Devils in the 90's.

True Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 03:19 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Everyone besides Dubinsky and Boyle are playing better from last year, including the defense which now SHOULD feature 3 near-elite shutdown guys and a 50+ point offensive defenseman. I don't know if the 2 month struggle is what these guys really are, though.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 03:24 PM
Vito Andolini

I'll go in a different direction with this....I think the answer is that we aren't "so much better this year". We were already pretty good last year and we ended the season playing really well. Winning 11 of our last 16. If not for a Callahan injury, we very well may have made a decent showing in the playoffs.

Regarding improvements...Richards has addressed a big need, Gaborik is healthy, and a player like Hagelin gives us another dimension. It's led to a far more consistent offense which has allowed us to keep things simple defensively and play the game to our style.

Vito Andolini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 03:26 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

While not a fan of his over his first 2 seasons, I have to give props to John Tortorella here. In just a couple of years, he really weeded out the trash on this team (Gomez, Zherdev, Avery, etc) and now has a roster full of guys that have bought in, and are willing to go through a brick wall for their teammates.

And Lundqvist too, of course, although we all knew he was always great.

The defense gets honorable mention.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote