HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > The KHL
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The KHL Discuss the Continental Hockey League (Kontinentalnaya Hokkeynaya Liga).

How Much $ Would Grigorenko Have Made This Season In The KHL?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-21-2012, 01:30 PM
  #1
Bryanbryoil
Moderator
Bozo Buddies
 
Bryanbryoil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 51,739
vCash: 500
How Much $ Would Grigorenko Have Made This Season In The KHL?

I was wondering if anyone here knows where I could find what he made last year and what he would've made this year had he not come over to play major junior. Thanks!

__________________
Treat Others As You Would Like To Be Treated
Bryanbryoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 01:38 PM
  #2
ozo
Registered User
 
ozo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Country: Latvia
Posts: 2,831
vCash: 500
Send a message via Skype™ to ozo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
I was wondering if anyone here knows where I could find what he made last year and what he would've made this year had he not come over to play major junior. Thanks!
Noone will be able to answer this questions because:

a) wages in Russia and in Europe in general are undisclosed
b) it's very unlikely that he would be playing in KHL at all this season or even next year

ozo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 01:58 PM
  #3
yunost
Registered User
 
yunost's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 390
vCash: 500
As mentioned, nobody can provide a source.

last year he played MHL, which is juniors in Russia so he wouldnt be making much(although im sure the high end prospects of CSKA make more than major junior in Canada),
this year, with the right team he could have been making $300000 or so. With a long term deal I can imagine SKA paying him up to 1 mil this year if he would sign for 4years or something.

so probably like a quarter of a mil to play in the Canadian juniors is what Grigorenko gave up. mind you like mentioned above im not sure how many KHL teams would sign 17 yr olds to 1yr contracts

next year he would definitely be able to make much more than the NHL ELC

again, those are my estimates there is no actual info

yunost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 06:42 PM
  #4
Latgale_fan
Registered User
 
Latgale_fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Riga
Country: Latvia
Posts: 964
vCash: 500
Few players of this age play in KHL, this year the only 1994 born in KHL was Anton Slepyshev and that only perhaps because his team wasn't that good

CSKA wasn't that strong a team this year so he might've played in KHL but they have a lot of good young players like Gusev and Kucherov who were also in WJC and are a bit older an more experienced than Grigorenko... IMHO Grigorenko would get ice time in KHL but probably not much, like Gusev or Kucherov maybe 15-20 games... Maybe, just maybe he would play a full season but he wouldn't be much of a factor in team's scoring anyway. And they wouldn't pay him millions, it's one thing if you already have established players like Radulov coming to you after 60 pts season in NHL or Kuznetsov being one of the top guys in KHL this season but Grigorenko is still a junior.

No KHL team would waste millions on a junior, just like an NHL team wouldn't do that. The only thing is contracts in KHL are often renewed each year and depending on your performance you can negotiate your salary every year. So while, say, Crosby enters NHL and signs three year entry level contract, in KHL he'd already receive his 9 million USD after the first year in the league as the team bosses would see that he's that good already and would have to pay a lot to keep him.


Last edited by Latgale_fan: 03-21-2012 at 06:51 PM.
Latgale_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2012, 05:35 AM
  #5
Bryanbryoil
Moderator
Bozo Buddies
 
Bryanbryoil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 51,739
vCash: 500
Thanks a lot for the education guys! So what would the odds be that he'd be in the KHL next year if he decided to go back home? What kind of $ would he be looking at?

@ yunost, if he made rookie max ie. $3.75 million including bonuses on his ELC you think that his KHL club would pay more than that next year?

Bryanbryoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2012, 07:32 AM
  #6
ozo
Registered User
 
ozo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Country: Latvia
Posts: 2,831
vCash: 500
Send a message via Skype™ to ozo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
@ yunost, if he made rookie max ie. $3.75 million including bonuses on his ELC you think that his KHL club would pay more than that next year?
Of course not. They could double or triple his guaranteed NHL ELC wage, but the only way that anyone in the league could pay him 4M is in case if Grigorenko signs a really long term deal, as Grigorenko isn't really worth such money currently.

ozo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2012, 10:07 AM
  #7
Mathradio
Go Roy Munson!
 
Mathradio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 9,560
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by yunost View Post
As mentioned, nobody can provide a source.

last year he played MHL, which is juniors in Russia so he wouldnt be making much(although im sure the high end prospects of CSKA make more than major junior in Canada),
this year, with the right team he could have been making $300000 or so. With a long term deal I can imagine SKA paying him up to 1 mil this year if he would sign for 4years or something.

so probably like a quarter of a mil to play in the Canadian juniors is what Grigorenko gave up. mind you like mentioned above im not sure how many KHL teams would sign 17 yr olds to 1yr contracts

next year he would definitely be able to make much more than the NHL ELC

again, those are my estimates there is no actual info
North American major junior players earn $25k at best for the most part. Perhaps Grigorenko, Yakupov and other top talent can earn $30-40k but that's a stretch.

But, if CSKA had a VHL team, Grigorenko would be in the VHL by now...

Mathradio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2012, 11:46 AM
  #8
tuker1980
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 72
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathradio View Post
North American major junior players earn $25k at best for the most part. Perhaps Grigorenko, Yakupov and other top talent can earn $30-40k but that's a stretch.

But, if CSKA had a VHL team, Grigorenko would be in the VHL by now...
That is totally wrong. In the extreme rare cases, an OHL team can pick up and ECHL contract, i.e. a 20 years old who could play in ECHL but OHL team will asked the NHL team to return the kid Jr and will pay him his salary. But that is very very rare.

Usually, kids makes between 50-80$ a weeks. Some made a bit more in "gas" money, if they have a car and carry a few players to practice.

20 years old players can make 200-300$ a week.

However, many top young talent get school packages. Which is if you don't go pro, they will pay for your university. Depending of the contracts, some get a A rated school package, other don't. A soon a you play 1 pro game, contract can be void.

They are rumors that some players did received some money. When Crosby when to Rimouski, there was a rumors that for every tickets sold more than the previous year avg, he received 1$. Not sure if this is true.

Also, Maj. Jr team who want highly touted players such a Greigorenko/Yakupov, have to pay lots and lots of money!!! Again, rumors said that Quebec paid about 300 000 to 350 000 for Grigorenko.

tuker1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2012, 04:27 PM
  #9
yunost
Registered User
 
yunost's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 390
vCash: 500
Players in the CHL are basically volunteering to play; they can make more money working retail at the mall.

The bonuses in the CHL are minimal, yeah if you dont go pro they pay for tuition...So you have to play 4-5 more years of CIS hockey and tuition is only $5-10 thousand Canadian dollars.

Grigorenko is top 10 ppg in the Q and leading rookie, he would crush the MHL. What would be the point of making him develop in that league playing against teams like Kapitan Stupino? I think he could make the KHL had he stayed or split minutes in KHL/VHL.

Players who make 3.75 mil in their ELC are generational stars like Stamkos, Ovie, Crosby etc. I guarantee you that if Grigorenko was playing well enough to max out all the bonuses there would be enough KHL teams that would offer him a substantial amount of money more than a maxed out ELC.

yunost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2012, 04:44 PM
  #10
vorky
@vorkywh24
 
vorky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 7,016
vCash: 500
MINIMUM

750 000 rubles (cca 19 500 euro) if plays KHL + stipendium KHL
150 000 rubles (cca 3 900 euro) if plays MHL

MAXIMUM
4,5 milions rubles + 4,5 milions rubles as stipendium KHL = cca 230 000 euro

- he was drafted in 1st round by CSKA + he would have to play KHL all season to receive MAXIMUM

maximum depends on draft possition and if he plays KHL/ MHL/ VHL

vorky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 09:33 PM
  #11
GoAttackGo
Registered User
 
GoAttackGo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 29
vCash: 500
This is true, I think players that sign NHL contracts tho can get paid by the NHL team though, I could be wrong though, If you go the OHL website they will provide details on this info
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuker1980 View Post
That is totally wrong. In the extreme rare cases, an OHL team can pick up and ECHL contract, i.e. a 20 years old who could play in ECHL but OHL team will asked the NHL team to return the kid Jr and will pay him his salary. But that is very very rare.

Usually, kids makes between 50-80$ a weeks. Some made a bit more in "gas" money, if they have a car and carry a few players to practice.

20 years old players can make 200-300$ a week.

However, many top young talent get school packages. Which is if you don't go pro, they will pay for your university. Depending of the contracts, some get a A rated school package, other don't. A soon a you play 1 pro game, contract can be void.

They are rumors that some players did received some money. When Crosby when to Rimouski, there was a rumors that for every tickets sold more than the previous year avg, he received 1$. Not sure if this is true.

Also, Maj. Jr team who want highly touted players such a Greigorenko/Yakupov, have to pay lots and lots of money!!! Again, rumors said that Quebec paid about 300 000 to 350 000 for Grigorenko.

GoAttackGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2012, 04:16 PM
  #12
Coramoor
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 453
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by yunost View Post
Players in the CHL are basically volunteering to play; they can make more money working retail at the mall.

The bonuses in the CHL are minimal, yeah if you dont go pro they pay for tuition...So you have to play 4-5 more years of CIS hockey and tuition is only $5-10 thousand Canadian dollars.

Grigorenko is top 10 ppg in the Q and leading rookie, he would crush the MHL. What would be the point of making him develop in that league playing against teams like Kapitan Stupino? I think he could make the KHL had he stayed or split minutes in KHL/VHL.

Players who make 3.75 mil in their ELC are generational stars like Stamkos, Ovie, Crosby etc. I guarantee you that if Grigorenko was playing well enough to max out all the bonuses there would be enough KHL teams that would offer him a substantial amount of money more than a maxed out ELC.
if Grigorenko goes to Montreal, he certainly has a shot to make the team and simply put the NHL is still the place to be if you want to prove you're the best

It's not just tuition btw, it's a full ride, housing costs etc.

Coramoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2012, 04:57 PM
  #13
yunost
Registered User
 
yunost's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 390
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coramoor View Post
if Grigorenko goes to Montreal, he certainly has a shot to make the team and simply put the NHL is still the place to be if you want to prove you're the best

It's not just tuition btw, it's a full ride, housing costs etc.
Whats the monetary value of that?

yunost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2012, 05:05 PM
  #14
Coramoor
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 453
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by yunost View Post
Whats the monetary value of that?
Well if you pan out as a top player, it's probably more then the KHL can offer in the long run, but there is certainly some time to get there. There is also the fact that some people want to play against the best all the time, that's a personal not monetary thing. Players like Grigorenko have the potential to be 6-7 million a year players if they can learn to play the 2 way game. Montreal really needs size right now which will certainly give him plenty of chances with management(that's where i see him going)

Coramoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2012, 05:51 PM
  #15
yunost
Registered User
 
yunost's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 390
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coramoor View Post
Well if you pan out as a top player, it's probably more then the KHL can offer in the long run, but there is certainly some time to get there. There is also the fact that some people want to play against the best all the time, that's a personal not monetary thing. Players like Grigorenko have the potential to be 6-7 million a year players if they can learn to play the 2 way game. Montreal really needs size right now which will certainly give him plenty of chances with management(that's where i see him going)
I disagree with you, and I will lay down my arguments and hope you can objectively understand them in order to make sense of what I'm saying. Since alot of people have trouble imagining things I will be very express.

First of all, Im not sure where you get the notion that the NHL will be a higher earning for him in the long run. Metallurg Magnitogorsk, for example will offer Malkin that same 9million for as long as the Pittsburg Penguins would.

Lets look at it with your example, Grigorenko, 1st line, 7mil in Monreal. Great.

The icon says your from Canada, so I assume you pay taxes.
go to http://lsminsurance.ca/calculators/canada/income-tax and key in $7,000,000

you will see Tax Payable of $3,358,818 and so all of the sudden its $7,000,000 - Tax Payable = $ 3,641,182

So with that salary he's making $3,641,182 in the NHL.

While in Russia the $7million is clean. Actually since I dont want to bother looking for the KHL tax exemption, and cite that KHL pay those salaries after tax, lets assume he pays taxes at home too.

If you look at http://www.worldwide-tax.com/russia/russia_tax.asp you will find tax rates to be 13% so a Tax Payable of $910,000

$7,000,000 - Tax Payable = $6,090,000 in the KHL

But it doesn't even end there. The NHL season is much longer, so the player works longer and gets paid less. In fact there are 82 games in the NHL, while only 56 in the KHL. Lets break it down. With the same salaries, the player has income of:

$ 44,405 per game in the NHL
$108,750 per game in the KHL

Making more than double with the same salary. The KHL could offer him $5 mil and he would still be making more than if the NHL offered him $7 mil.

We wont take into account injury proneness and how many more multiples of injuries there are in the NHL compared to the KHL, how a player leaves his home and everything he knows behind, etc.

So I ask again: what is the monetary value in your opinion that a player could have?

The next time your having a beer with your friends watching a game and something comes up about how heartless Russians dont care about the game, while listening to Cherry talk about how Russians come here only for the money, you remember me and keep in mind that in your own words, they are coming here because they have heart to play our game and sacrifice alot for it.


Last edited by yunost: 05-21-2012 at 06:19 PM.
yunost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2012, 07:03 PM
  #16
Coramoor
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 453
vCash: 500
certainly an interesting reply

One funny thing to note is that a lot of players create corporations, Evengi Malkin inc or whatever and use that as a tax shelter cause you can pay less if you take it as a dividend rather than income. Sponsorship is more then likely far better in the NHL. I doubt there is enough money going around to pay a lot of these guys big money for doing ad spots and the like, but please correct me if I'm wrong. The big advantage the NHL offers for the Russian Superstars is you get both opportunities presented by being Russian, and by being an NHLer, double dipping so to speak.

Medical treatment is generally better in the NHL, weird Crosby situation aside.

I'm never one to say Russians don't care about the game. Certainly Russian players do have a tendency for flakiness mid game or for several games in a row. Semin is notoriously bad for that. It's also a lot harder to get a Russian to buy into a team defense concept. Although New Jersey has shown that it is possible with Kovalchuk's great and responsible season on both sides of the puck. Lets be honest Cherry is right about some things, but a crazy hardliner about other things and it just gets worse the older he gets.

I would say that the KHL is easy money and if you don't really care, you can certainly make good easy money. The NHL however has the top flight talent from all around the world. Quality of Life is generally better in the NHL. If you want to be the best, you have to play in the NHL period. That's a driving force for most athletes. I can't tell you for sure it's the better money decision, but if you're good enough once you factor in sponsorships etc, it's probably close to even, especially for the guys that can double dip.

Coramoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2012, 07:30 AM
  #17
tuker1980
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 72
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by yunost View Post
I disagree with you, and I will lay down my arguments and hope you can objectively understand them in order to make sense of what I'm saying. Since alot of people have trouble imagining things I will be very express.

First of all, Im not sure where you get the notion that the NHL will be a higher earning for him in the long run. Metallurg Magnitogorsk, for example will offer Malkin that same 9million for as long as the Pittsburg Penguins would.

Lets look at it with your example, Grigorenko, 1st line, 7mil in Monreal. Great.

The icon says your from Canada, so I assume you pay taxes.
go to http://lsminsurance.ca/calculators/canada/income-tax and key in $7,000,000

you will see Tax Payable of $3,358,818 and so all of the sudden its $7,000,000 - Tax Payable = $ 3,641,182

So with that salary he's making $3,641,182 in the NHL.

While in Russia the $7million is clean. Actually since I dont want to bother looking for the KHL tax exemption, and cite that KHL pay those salaries after tax, lets assume he pays taxes at home too.

If you look at http://www.worldwide-tax.com/russia/russia_tax.asp you will find tax rates to be 13% so a Tax Payable of $910,000

$7,000,000 - Tax Payable = $6,090,000 in the KHL

But it doesn't even end there. The NHL season is much longer, so the player works longer and gets paid less. In fact there are 82 games in the NHL, while only 56 in the KHL. Lets break it down. With the same salaries, the player has income of:

$ 44,405 per game in the NHL
$108,750 per game in the KHL

Making more than double with the same salary. The KHL could offer him $5 mil and he would still be making more than if the NHL offered him $7 mil.

We wont take into account injury proneness and how many more multiples of injuries there are in the NHL compared to the KHL, how a player leaves his home and everything he knows behind, etc.

So I ask again: what is the monetary value in your opinion that a player could have?

The next time your having a beer with your friends watching a game and something comes up about how heartless Russians dont care about the game, while listening to Cherry talk about how Russians come here only for the money, you remember me and keep in mind that in your own words, they are coming here because they have heart to play our game and sacrifice alot for it.
While your argument are valid, you omit to include a very important aspect of the NHL.

Pension plan.

KHL: What is the pension plan for playing in the KHL? I really don't know.

NHL: 400 games = 12,500 per year once you reach 45 and after that its 250,000 per year at 55. That is HUGE for playing since many of them blow their money while playing.

Also, again don't know about travelling arrangement but in NA you always travel 1st class, best hotels, very good per diem.

For an NA, all those thing are worth way more than a few millions bottom... however, not so for russian born players.

tuker1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2012, 05:11 AM
  #18
fredrikstad
Registered User
 
fredrikstad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Fredrikstad, Norway
Country: Norway
Posts: 1,167
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuker1980 View Post
That is totally wrong. In the extreme rare cases, an OHL team can pick up and ECHL contract, i.e. a 20 years old who could play in ECHL but OHL team will asked the NHL team to return the kid Jr and will pay him his salary. But that is very very rare.

Usually, kids makes between 50-80$ a weeks. Some made a bit more in "gas" money, if they have a car and carry a few players to practice.

20 years old players can make 200-300$ a week.

However, many top young talent get school packages. Which is if you don't go pro, they will pay for your university. Depending of the contracts, some get a A rated school package, other don't. A soon a you play 1 pro game, contract can be void.

They are rumors that some players did received some money. When Crosby when to Rimouski, there was a rumors that for every tickets sold more than the previous year avg, he received 1$. Not sure if this is true.

Also, Maj. Jr team who want highly touted players such a Greigorenko/Yakupov, have to pay lots and lots of money!!! Again, rumors said that Quebec paid about 300 000 to 350 000 for Grigorenko.
Who will recieve those money?The club that developed the player? An agent? Or who?

fredrikstad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2012, 10:35 AM
  #19
Coramoor
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 453
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuker1980 View Post
Also, Maj. Jr team who want highly touted players such a Greigorenko/Yakupov, have to pay lots and lots of money!!! Again, rumors said that Quebec paid about 300 000 to 350 000 for Grigorenko.
I find that highly unlikely. There isn't really enough money for such insane transfer fees in junior hockey

Coramoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2012, 12:15 AM
  #20
Fulcrum
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Toronto, ON
Country: Russian Federation
Posts: 2,605
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coramoor View Post
certainly an interesting reply

Sponsorship is more then likely far better in the NHL. I doubt there is enough money going around to pay a lot of these guys big money for doing ad spots and the like, but please correct me if I'm wrong. The big advantage the NHL offers for the Russian Superstars is you get both opportunities presented by being Russian, and by being an NHLer, double dipping so to speak.

Medical treatment is generally better in the NHL, weird Crosby situation aside.

I'm never one to say Russians don't care about the game. Certainly Russian players do have a tendency for flakiness mid game or for several games in a row. Semin is notoriously bad for that. It's also a lot harder to get a Russian to buy into a team defense concept. Although New Jersey has shown that it is possible with Kovalchuk's great and responsible season on both sides of the puck. Lets be honest Cherry is right about some things, but a crazy hardliner about other things and it just gets worse the older he gets.

I would say that the KHL is easy money and if you don't really care, you can certainly make good easy money. The NHL however has the top flight talent from all around the world. Quality of Life is generally better in the NHL. If you want to be the best, you have to play in the NHL period. That's a driving force for most athletes. I can't tell you for sure it's the better money decision, but if you're good enough once you factor in sponsorships etc, it's probably close to even, especially for the guys that can double dip.
1. Sponsorship $$ is only for the most famous- Crosby, Ovi, Stamkos. After that there is a huge drop off. You don't ever see Kulemin or Chimera in any commercials.

2. Medically, you need to be a doctor to say which league is better. But one thing is for sure, the amount of SERIOUS injuries in KHL is much much less. Concussions are relatively rare in KHL, and it's a much less brutal game. You would also be surprised that sport medicine at top clubs like SKA is very developed. To a point of constant cardio, pulminory monitoring for each player during games, workouts, practices and so on. It's world class.

Also, most professional KHL players are treated by the best Doctors in the world. Such as the hospitals and clinics in Germany (for Kuznetsov and Radulov).

3. "Laziness" - If you watch Russian players and the way they play for NT, its called combination hockey. That means that skating pointlessly is NOT good. Passing the puck and playing Positional hockey is the key. Next time you see Chimera breaking his head on the forecheck chasing the puck like a crazy lunatic, doesn't make him a better hockey player than Semin, who is setting up in a perfect position for an open shot.

N.A. fans look at it as laziness, but it's actually a different style of hockey. Much like Bure did back in the day. That's why when they play for NT, they are much more productive. That's why when Washington had the Russian 5, they were on fire. Same for Detroit 5. They understand each other, and hard work skating is not necessary to be effective when you are more skilled than the opponent.

4. Quality of life in Russia is far from what it used to be and even further from what you think. Players often stay in luxurious hotels, have very nice homes. I'm flying between Russian and Canada a lot. I've been in US plenty of times to know that there are complete dumps of neighborhoods all around, like the armpit of US that are Buffalo or Detroit. There are poor towns in Russia too. Both are very comparable, but if you're Rich in Russia- sky is the limit.

Having said all that, if you were in their shoes- would you not want to stay home with your family, rather than going to Russia to earn more money and play in better league than say AHL? I think most would stay put with their families and cultures, rather than face something they don't understand. So before passing judgement on "Russian stereotypical players"- do think about what it took for them to get where they are. And that these people don't want to sacrifice the life they have and MUCH MORE, just to play in a better league (that isn't always better anyway).

http://www.thehockeynews.com/article...ng-Topics.html

Fulcrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2012, 03:54 AM
  #21
Coramoor
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 453
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fulcrum View Post
1. Sponsorship $$ is only for the most famous- Crosby, Ovi, Stamkos. After that there is a huge drop off. You don't ever see Kulemin or Chimera in any commercials.

There is money and appearance fees and all kinds of stuff, it isn't a firestorm but there is something if you want it

2. Medically, you need to be a doctor to say which league is better. But one thing is for sure, the amount of SERIOUS injuries in KHL is much much less. Concussions are relatively rare in KHL, and it's a much less brutal game. You would also be surprised that sport medicine at top clubs like SKA is very developed. To a point of constant cardio, pulminory monitoring for each player during games, workouts, practices and so on. It's world class.

Also, most professional KHL players are treated by the best Doctors in the world. Such as the hospitals and clinics in Germany (for Kuznetsov and Radulov).

It took a death from cardiac arrest for that to happen though. Such things are standard in the NHL/AHL and CHL. Fischer suffered from the same issue and survived due to a defib being on site. There is also the rumours of and insistence from any foreign player that they have it in their contracts not to receive injections from team doctors. I remember a goalie that played in the KHL talking about that a few years back forget who thought, pretty sure he was Canadian though

3. "Laziness" - If you watch Russian players and the way they play for NT, its called combination hockey. That means that skating pointlessly is NOT good. Passing the puck and playing Positional hockey is the key. Next time you see Chimera breaking his head on the forecheck chasing the puck like a crazy lunatic, doesn't make him a better hockey player than Semin, who is setting up in a perfect position for an open shot.



N.A. fans look at it as laziness, but it's actually a different style of hockey. Much like Bure did back in the day. That's why when they play for NT, they are much more productive. That's why when Washington had the Russian 5, they were on fire. Same for Detroit 5. They understand each other, and hard work skating is not necessary to be effective when you are more skilled than the opponent.

Well you entirely ignore my point by referring to offense when I was referring to defense. The reason forechecking works is because it forces mistakes from players as they have to rush. The other point would be that russian players of all levels but especially at the highest levels don't backcheck hard(datsyuk being the exception) 100% of the time. Some of the younger ones are getting better at it. Malkin to a lesser extent Oveckhin. It took Kovalchuk 10 years to learn to play solid defense.

Also I would just like to point out that both Washington and Detriot have never had 5 russian players on their team in the modern age. Detriot has 2(datsyuk, hudler), and has never had more then that since Federov. Washington currently has 3(ovechkin, semin and orlov) orlov being a new edition so I have no idea where you got russian 5 from. Washington hasn't had a russian dman since Gonchar if i'm not mistaken.


4. Quality of life in Russia is far from what it used to be and even further from what you think. Players often stay in luxurious hotels, have very nice homes. I'm flying between Russian and Canada a lot. I've been in US plenty of times to know that there are complete dumps of neighborhoods all around, like the armpit of US that are Buffalo or Detroit. There are poor towns in Russia too. Both are very comparable, but if you're Rich in Russia- sky is the limit.

Having said all that, if you were in their shoes- would you not want to stay home with your family, rather than going to Russia to earn more money and play in better league than say AHL? I think most would stay put with their families and cultures, rather than face something they don't understand. So before passing judgement on "Russian stereotypical players"- do think about what it took for them to get where they are. And that these people don't want to sacrifice the life they have and MUCH MORE, just to play in a better league (that isn't always better anyway).

http://www.thehockeynews.com/article...ng-Topics.html

The NHL is far superior that is just obvious fact in terms of skill level. You can debate quality of hockey in terms of viewing but you can not in the slightest argue skill quality. Also i'm not talking about players that are maybe going to make it. I'm talking about players that are going to make it, like Grigorenko barring some kind of weird disaster or a filatov mentality.
Posted my replies in bold in your quote to simplify reading and responses

Coramoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2012, 04:02 AM
  #22
vorky
@vorkywh24
 
vorky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 7,016
vCash: 500
Quote:
It took a death from cardiac arrest for that to happen though. Such things are standard in the NHL/AHL and CHL. Fischer suffered from the same issue and survived due to a defib being on site. There is also the rumours of and insistence from any foreign player that they have it in their contracts not to receive injections from team doctors. I remember a goalie that played in the KHL talking about that a few years back forget who thought, pretty sure he was Canadian though
yes, there were problems in past. But now it is much much better, equal to any other profi league in the world. You can not jugde nowadays KHL if your argument is based on facts from 2008. Check current situation and then write something.

Quote:
Well you entirely ignore my point by referring to offense when I was referring to defense. The reason forechecking works is because it forces mistakes from players as they have to rush. The other point would be that russian players of all levels but especially at the highest levels don't backcheck hard(datsyuk being the exception) 100% of the time. Some of the younger ones are getting better at it. Malkin to a lesser extent Oveckhin. It took Kovalchuk 10 years to learn to play solid defense.

Also I would just like to point out that both Washington and Detriot have never had 5 russian players on their team in the modern age. Detriot has 2(datsyuk, hudler), and has never had more then that since Federov. Washington currently has 3(ovechkin, semin and orlov) orlov being a new edition so I have no idea where you got russian 5 from. Washington hasn't had a russian dman since Gonchar if i'm not mistaken.
you lie. All story. Hudler is not Russian therefore you have NO HOCKEY knowledge.

vorky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2012, 04:19 AM
  #23
Coramoor
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 453
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by vorky View Post
yes, there were problems in past. But now it is much much better, equal to any other profi league in the world. You can not jugde nowadays KHL if your argument is based on facts from 2008. Check current situation and then write something.


you lie. All story. Hudler is not Russian therefore you have NO HOCKEY knowledge.
wow so i make one mistake and i have no hockey knowledge, and please please please vorky, if you want to be taken seriously, stop telling people to research things, even with google translate the russian info and news is unintelligable. I can't research anything that happens that is new because it is basically impossible. You are the one who wants to champion his league so well, so get the relevant information and show us it

Also the fact that i'm wrong about hudler just proves my point even more. There is no russian 5 in Detriot, there is a russian 1, and the most defensively active of pretty much any russian forward in the nhl

Coramoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2012, 04:27 AM
  #24
vorky
@vorkywh24
 
vorky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 7,016
vCash: 500
Coramoor

that is your opinion, wish you luck

vorky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2012, 05:21 AM
  #25
Acallabeth
Seriously coach?
 
Acallabeth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Kemerovo, Russia
Country: Russian Federation
Posts: 4,628
vCash: 500
Send a message via Skype™ to Acallabeth
Quote:
Also I would just like to point out that both Washington and Detriot have never had 5 russian players on their team in the modern age. Washington currently has 3(ovechkin, semin and orlov) orlov being a new edition so I have no idea where you got russian 5 from. Washington hasn't had a russian dman since Gonchar if i'm not mistaken.
Washington had Ovechkin, Semin, Fedorov, Viktor Kozlov and Varlamov in 2009.

Also, I think people here are waaay overboard with Grig' possible contract assessment. 7 mils is crazy, he won't get that, it was rumoured that even Radulov got less salary! 2-3M for a season isn't out of reach, but nobody will pay a 18yo kid $7M!

Acallabeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:59 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.