HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

Leaf have no shot at Parise according to McGuire

Old
03-21-2012, 11:03 PM
Sundinforever13

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dimi78 View Post
Wrong the top dogs didn't want to sign here even when this team was an 100 point team during the Quinn years and the reason is so blatantly clear it amazes me we ignore the impact of how the MEDIA treat this team.

You tell me why should Parise or Suter sign here they're not Ontario boys doesn't fit the criteria remember. You didn't think those comments wouldn't have a damaging effect did you? Why shouldn't Kessel bolt when he becomes a UFA with how the media have treaded him as if he's not performed and improved each and every year since he became a Leaf three straight 30+ goal years and the only player in the NHL to have scored 30+ goals these past 4 years. The constant talk about the cost it took for him to become a Leaf yet he's still the best player involved in the trade.

I'll take it back years ago with who really is the greatest Leaf of all time one Mr. Sundin leading an 100 point contending team was constantly question about his leadership why? Roberts was the leader remember? Do you guys remember the Lindros for Sundin articles written back in the day just like the crap written recently about trading Kessel? Now that he's gone we see just how valuable of a player he is and you know what the same thing will happen with Kessel.

Why is it that it takes a special type of personality for a player to play in Toronto? Media coverage is one thing but being blasted by the media constantly is another thing that NO PLAYER WANTS TO DEAL WITH IF THEY HAD THE CHOICE. The image and the attacking the media does has turn the Leafs into a have not market place and as a Leaf fan I'm shocked that more people don't support Burke's efforts to silence the constant abuse.
good points made. isnt gilmour the only player in the modern era who has beeen unanimously liked by everyone?

Sundinforever13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 11:07 PM
T M L
Make Belief Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nasty Nazem View Post
Not really news. No top end FA is going to sign with a bottom feeder.
This exactly. No good FA will have any interest in coming to Toronto.

In fact, Burke has done more harm than good since he got here.

T M L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 11:09 PM
MeowLeafs
LM is awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimi78 View Post
Wrong the top dogs didn't want to sign here even when this team was an 100 point team during the Quinn years and the reason is so blatantly clear it amazes me we ignore the impact of how the MEDIA treat this team.

You tell me why should Parise or Suter sign here they're not Ontario boys doesn't fit the criteria remember. You didn't think those comments wouldn't have a damaging effect did you? Why shouldn't Kessel bolt when he becomes a UFA with how the media have treaded him as if he's not performed and improved each and every year since he became a Leaf three straight 30+ goal years and the only player in the NHL to have scored 30+ goals these past 4 years. The constant talk about the cost it took for him to become a Leaf yet he's still the best player involved in the trade.

I'll take it back years ago with who really is the greatest Leaf of all time one Mr. Sundin leading an 100 point contending team was constantly question about his leadership why? Roberts was the leader remember? Do you guys remember the Lindros for Sundin articles written back in the day just like the crap written recently about trading Kessel? Now that he's gone we see just how valuable of a player he is and you know what the same thing will happen with Kessel.

Why is it that it takes a special type of personality for a player to play in Toronto? Media coverage is one thing but being blasted by the media constantly is another thing that NO PLAYER WANTS TO DEAL WITH IF THEY HAD THE CHOICE. The image and the attacking the media does has turn the Leafs into a have not market place and as a Leaf fan I'm shocked that more people don't support Burke's efforts to silence the constant abuse.
I'm pretty sure he's not...

MeowLeafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 11:13 PM
Sundinforever13

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeowLeafs View Post
I'm pretty sure he's not...
i think he meant consecutively

Sundinforever13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 11:16 PM
IBLEAF
17 CLARK-SON 71

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by LetzgoEggo View Post
Pretty sure = absolutely zero evidence needed. I have to remember that.
yeah i pull this **** out of my ass!!!

IBLEAF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 11:24 PM
Faltorvo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundinforever13 View Post
Even then he is not even remotely correct.

Off the top of my head, Iggy, Ovi, Iiya, soon to be Marleau,Nash,Ryan

Faltorvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 11:31 PM
T M L
Make Belief Captain

Parise will remain in NJ. No question about it. Anyone actually think Lou Lamoriello is going to just let him walk... right! Also considering the fact that NJ is pretty much a lock for the playoffs.

T M L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 11:37 PM
pucky

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcleex View Post
Excellent, you can add him to the following list of players that delusional fans thought were a lock to come to Toronto:

Kovalchuk
Sedin brothers
Stamkos
Tavares
Cammalleri
Bobby Ryan
Ryan Getzlaf
Eric Staal
Brayden Schenn
Mike Richards
Jeff Carter
Rick Nash
Stastny

anyone else?
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcleex View Post
a) You serious .. EVERYONE and their mother would talk about how the Sedin brothers were gonna come here because of the Burke connection bla bla and the tampering charge

Stamkos and Tavares are home town boys they will come to Toronto when they hit FA bla bla

Rick Nash .. seriously

Kovalchuk before he was traded to NJ

anyways I'm not going through everyone on the list, but I can guarantee you you can find 1 thread from the past on each of those players with people salivating from their mouth about them coming here

b) It's not excellent that they aren't coming here, it's excellent that hopefully the bigger the list grows the more realistic Leafs fans become and stop thinking everyone is gonna come here
Too many delusional fans
Exactly. That is just one of the many problems with Toronto. Delusional GM and delusional fans, just for starters.

pucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2012, 12:13 AM
Melrose Munch

When was the last time a high profile UFA came to Canada?

Exactly.

Melrose Munch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2012, 12:40 AM
LEAFS FAN 4 EVER
GO LEAFS GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose Munch View Post

Exactly.
Based on his name only I would guess it would have been Eric Lindros, even though he was not the same type of player he use to be during his time with the Flyers.

LEAFS FAN 4 EVER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2012, 12:54 AM
Faltorvo

Quote:

Exactly.
JBo was up there

Faltorvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2012, 12:58 AM
Ratboy
The Samsquanch!

Don't worry guys, maybe we can still sign Gretzky. He might give us that good ol hometown discount.

Ratboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2012, 01:04 AM
Sad Leafs fan

vCash: 1807
Quote:

Exactly.
I've always wondered why Canadian boys playing in the US wouldn't at least think of returning home to help bring the cup back. It's only been what 19 years?

You'd think the majority of them growing up were fans of Canadian teams and yet, I have never heard of one coming back home. Other than Lindros but I'm talking players healthy and in their prime.

It's the same when they retire. I think the majority of Canadian born players playing in the states stay there. Yet the majority of European players go back home and American players playing in Canada usually return home too.

For no reason other than a gut feeling, I think the most likely player to return to play for his boyhood team will be Crosby.

It sure would be nice to hear a few players say hey I'm a Toronto boy who grew up cheering for the Leafs and I'll play for them and give them a hometown discount.

Come on Stamkos and JT come HOME!!!

2525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2012, 05:47 AM
MajorityRules
ExcellencewithVigour

vCash: 620
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2525 View Post
Does anyone think we'll ever see a Toronto area player who grew up idolizing the Leafs; had his favourite Leaf players posters on his walls, Leafs sweaters, hats, even underwear
Went to bed crying because his team lost.
Will we ever see a guy like that play out his contract and announce it was always his dream to wear the Blue and White and bring the Stanley Cup home and sign with the Leafs?

I've heard of American baseball players that have said/done it, basketball and football too. I think I've even heard a few American hockey players say it.Even Parise said it would be great to play in his home state.
Eric Lindros was a Leaf fan, wanted to play for the Leafs and eventually did. It was to bad he wasn't the player he used to be.

MajorityRules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2012, 07:12 AM
oilphan

To be active in the FA market, you either have to overpay, or be a team that is attractive to players because you are close to being a cup contender. Otherwise, you need to be active in the trade market, or build through the draft.

Given that Burke claims he will not overpay (although some of his signings would suggest otherwise), be prepared for trader Brian to be active once again this summer. I'm not sure if you can make big strides by relying on this approach.

oilphan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2012, 07:34 AM
Dio666

Who's the college player (s) that will be available this summer? I ask because thats all Burke will probably get. He'll over hype him and we'll hear the usual "It's like finding a lost wallet" crap.

College player + a scrub overpaid free agents.

I hope I'm wrong and someone like Dudley can influence Burke into signing some good, useful player.

Dio666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2012, 07:43 AM
daveleaf

Burke is a blow hard!

Would Parise really help this team? We need someone to play the middle of the ice. Parise goes to let wing with Kessel then who digs for pucks? Bozak? That would be the most ineffective and most expensive pair of forwards in the nhl. Leafs need a stud goalie, a stud centre man and a stud d-man. Only find those at the top of the board and Burke is too stupid to stay there, he will try and trade it away for Nash.

daveleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2012, 08:52 AM
Maj. Conn Smythe

The Leafs will always have a difficult time attracting high end UFA's because the taxes are too high, along with real estate values and cost of living in Toronto.

If you are a Ryan Suter that can sign in Nashville where Tennessee state income taxes are ZERO as opposed to what Ontario/Federal Taxes are here, than he would be more inclined to sign in Nashville.

Let's face it; the John Tavares', Steven Stamkos', and all of the GTA raised players of the worlds would pick self preservation over playing for their hometown team. In the world of sports when millions of dollars are being thrown at these players and looking at the "net" result of receiving these millions, it would take major overpayment for these players to earn a living in Toronto.

It took Burke to overpay Tim Connolly, Colby Armstrong, and Mike Komisarek to sign with the Leafs as any other team would have offered these players at least a million dollar less to sign with their team. The only way the Leafs snag a top end player is to offer guaranteed money long term, which Burke will not do.

Therefore, don't expect any high tier UFA's to sign with the Leafs in the next few years. There are way too many disadvantages for the Leafs money wise for a player's income, let alone all the media garbage, and losing this team has been subjected to for the last seven years.

1927 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2012, 08:58 AM
MeowLeafs
LM is awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundinforever13 View Post
That's definitely what he meant (at least, I would hope so)...and it's still wrong

MeowLeafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2012, 09:19 AM
DirtyDion03
**** Brooklyn

vCash: 166
To say that a team has no shot on a player who isn't even a UFA is a bit silly. Seems like everyone wants to stir up **** to do with the Leafs nowadays. Wow.

DirtyDion03 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2012, 10:04 AM
boozeash

He also said he's really good friends with Parise.....I find that hard to believe. I could see Parise being polite to him when he's getting interviewed but I can't see them hanging out or anything.

boozeash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2012, 12:56 PM
SarcazemKadri

Quote:
Originally Posted by boozeash View Post
He also said he's really good friends with Parise.....I find that hard to believe. I could see Parise being polite to him when he's getting interviewed but I can't see them hanging out or anything.
So True haha. I can hear him now "my good friend ZACH PARISE"

Side note - no chance he signs here, why?

Losing Team
Media ***** on every good player in Toronto

Enough said.

SarcazemKadri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2012, 01:14 PM
Mess
Global Moderator

- Parise puts winning as his highest priority, so strike 1 against Toronto

- Parise is a winger and would desire a #1 playmaking center to assist him being productive.. Who is that in Toronto Bozak, Connolly, so strike 2 against Toronto

- Parise is American born and raised and playing in his own home country preferable as he mentions home state Minnesota as an option he is considering potentially, so strike 3 against Toronto.

- Parise has played in front of Marty Brodeur his entire career and realizes success lies in strong goaltending, so strike 4 against Toronto.

- Parise is looking for long term security contract and Burke's own rule opposes these lengthy deals, so strike 5 against Toronto.

How many strikes does it take before someone can be ruled out?

03-22-2012, 01:15 PM
Darylman

Pierre was wrong when he said Parise was negotiating with Jersey, and Parise confirmed what he said was false.

Darylman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2012, 01:20 PM
mooseOAK*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bagshaw View Post
So True haha. I can hear him now "my good friend ZACH PARISE"

Side note - no chance he signs here, why?
His dad played one game for the Leafs.

mooseOAK* is offline   Reply With Quote