HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Remembering Pelle Lindbergh

Closed Thread

Old
11-10-2004, 09:47 PM
Pelle31

vCash: 500
Remembering Pelle Lindbergh

It was 19 years ago today that the Flyer family lost a potential superstar in Pelle Lindbergh. He made a bad decision in driving drunk and it cost him his life. It made Flyer fans wonder "what if" when talking about Lindbergh. What if he didn't get into that accident, would he had led the Flyers to a Stanley cup. We'll never know but if anyone has stories regarding Lindbergh, post them.

Old
11-10-2004, 11:14 PM
flyersrock1

I was 18 in my first year of University loving the Flyers chances of a cup. My folks picked me up to visit the folks in N.B. When we got there I heard a hockey player for the Phil Flyers had been in an accident. I stayed up all night to hear that Pelle was the Flyer. It might be our Babe Ruth curse.

Old
11-10-2004, 11:55 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 1383
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyersrock1
I was 18 in my first year of University loving the Flyers chances of a cup. My folks picked me up to visit the folks in N.B. When we got there I heard a hockey player for the Phil Flyers had been in an accident. I stayed up all night to hear that Pelle was the Flyer. It might be our Babe Ruth curse.
Bad stuff happened before Pelle Lindbergh's demise. Bernie Parent's pinched nerve for instance that wiped out his 1975-76 season. Maybe if there is a curse, it was the trading of Bill Clement or maybe Ed Van Impe. OK, maybe not.

Bernie's eye injury against the Rangers -- a game I watched on TV. Still one of the sickest things I have ever seen.

This team battled the career ending injury to Barry Ashbee and his eventual death and in between they won two Cups.

I recall watching the Bruins-Flyers game, the last night Pelle Lindbergh was alive. A Saturday night home game -- how rare. Lindbergh not playing because Bob Froese was being showcased for a possible trade. Then all the sickening news.

Then, Froese got injured in practice prior to the rematch with Edmonton with Darren Jensen in goal. That wild game with the Isles as the days progressed. What a roller coaster time.

R.I.P. Pelle Lindbergh.

Last edited by MiamiScreamingEagles: 11-11-2004 at 10:25 AM.
Old
11-11-2004, 12:48 AM
Toonces
The beer kitty

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyersrock1
It might be our Babe Ruth curse.
There is no curse related to winning, but this team has had more than it's fair share of tragedy.

Rest in peace Pelle Lindbergh. I hope you are keeping Yanick, Dimitri, and Gene good company.

Old
11-11-2004, 07:36 AM
Flyers26

Awesome goalie.
Best memory I have is a non-game item.
At the FLYERS carnival, maybe in '83 or '84, for 45.00 I believe, you could take a shot on Pelle. Well, this was designed more for kids, but my 2 friends I was with, (17 & 18yrs old), decided to take a shot. Well, after both buzzed shots by his head (playing without a mask), he was PISSED, and got relieved in goal.
Anyway, the Flyers wives handed out "I scored a goal on..." certificates, signed by Pelle, to both of my friends. Both wish to this day, that they still had those certificates!

Old
11-11-2004, 10:07 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
I was maybe six or seven and the Flyers were playing the Rangers at MSG. My father had season tickets at that point (back when they were affordable) which second row on the blueline behind the visitor's bench. During warm-ups, there were the usual fans standing around and yelling, taunting, and harrassing the Flyers. I was sitting in my seat, reading my program and not really paying attention to what was going on. At one point, the Flyers' equipment manager turned around and pointed to me. I thought I was in trouble for yelling at the team. He called me over (for some reason, I went). He then offered me one of Pelle's sticks that had just cracked during warm-ups. I was thrilled, even though I was a Ranger fan.

Of course, at the time, I wished it was an Eddie Mio stick!

He was a great goalie. I hope that Henrik Lundqvist can become the player that Lindberg was.

Old
11-11-2004, 10:29 AM
John Flyers Fan

One of my favorite Lindbergh moment actually came during a preseason game.

It was at the Spectrum and there was a full bench clearing brawl. Lindsey Carson had Glen Hanlon in a full-nelson, and Pelle using his blocker bloodied the hell out of Hanlon's face.

Flyers-Rags preseason games, Good Times

Old
11-11-2004, 12:34 PM
MacDaddy TLC*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toonces
Rest in peace Pelle Lindbergh. I hope you are keeping Yanick, Dimitri, and Gene good company.

don't forget the Fog and Barry Ashbee, two important pieces in the early history of this great organization.

Old
11-11-2004, 12:35 PM
MacDaddy TLC*

The memory is so vivid of this tragedy. I couldn't believe that an NHL player, an athlete in his prime was dead. Sadly, we have only see more instances in the 19 years since of our guys (hockey players) going before their time should have come.

Old
11-11-2004, 12:50 PM
Toonces
The beer kitty

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacDaddy Version 1.3
don't forget the Fog and Barry Ashbee, two important pieces in the early history of this great organization.
Oh, absolutely not, they were up there first so I'm confident they are comfortably situated. Their omission was intended, but only because they are running the show I'm sure.

Old
11-11-2004, 12:53 PM
Flyers26

Quote:
The memory is so vivid of this tragedy. I couldn't believe that an NHL player, an athlete in his prime was dead. Sadly, we have only see more instances in the 19 years since of our guys (hockey players) going before their time should have come.
It's one of those things, as a fan of the sport, you remember where you were, what you where doing, ect... Like any great tragedy of our time.

Luckly, I do have a few games of his on VHS. I'll have to dig around for them.

Old
11-11-2004, 10:36 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 1383
Quote:
Cowboy Bill Flett, too.

Old
11-12-2004, 02:21 PM
CNote
Get 'er done

i was riding along with my cousin in the back seat of his step-dad's car when we heard the news about the accident on radio. i was only 11 at the time but i still remember it like it was yesterday.

Old
11-12-2004, 03:23 PM
neg marron

pelle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyers26
It's one of those things, as a fan of the sport, you remember where you were, what you where doing, ect... Like any great tragedy of our time.

Luckly, I do have a few games of his on VHS. I'll have to dig around for them.
i remember all the promise he had he could of been a great one for philly

Old
11-12-2004, 04:10 PM
Bennysflyers16

vCash: 50
2 things i remember about Pelle, Arguing with my Oiler Friends that he was better than Grant Fuhr and 2nd and most ironic, I remember playing with little cars and one of them was a Porsche, Being from a small canadian town we had no idea yet what a Porsche was, so we decided that it was the type of car that was indestructable and that you could not be hurt in one, next thing i know i was watching the news and Pelle was killed driving a Porshe.

R.I.P.

Old
11-19-2004, 01:51 AM
GoneFullHolmgren
def. hockey FAIL

vCash: 50
i was riding in a friends car on the way to work when i heard the news. I just put my head down onto my hands for like 5 minutes just hoping it was a bad dream. I couldnt believe it when i heard it. I was one of few Flyer fans living up here and i remember a couple of us getting together the next day to talk about it.
You were the best Pelle.
R.I.P.

Closed Thread