HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Alex Kovalev NHL return?

View Poll Results: Would you give a invite to Kovalev for next year's training camp?
Yes 113 38.97%
No 177 61.03%
Voters: 290. You may not vote on this poll

Old
03-23-2012, 01:21 PM
DAChampion

vCash: 500
I voted yes last year, but this year my view is "no".

He's not the 65 point, 1st line, gamebreaking impact winger he was in Montreal.

His second season in Ottawa/Pittsburgh was horrid, and he was not good in the KHL, 6 points in 22 games or something. He wasn't dominating like Jagr was.

It's time to move forward. I'd rather the spot go to a development forward.

DAChampion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2012, 01:25 PM
habscup

Quote:
Originally Posted by PricePkPatch View Post
Practically. A 15-goal Kovalev playing on the 3rd line at 1.2 mills is better than a 5-goal Gomez playing on the 2nd line at 7 mills

Depth. That's all he'd be. IF he proves to be determinated and doesn't just coast into our team.
Kovalev last 2 season in nhl
2010-11 74 gp, 16 goals 18 assists 34 points
2009-10 77 gp, 18 goals, 31 assists, 49 points

Lets compare those to our current 2nd and 3rd liners.
Plekanec: 76 gp, 46 points
Bourque, 68 gp 23 points
Eller, 71 gp 26 points
Gomez, 38 gp 11 points
White, 17 gp 3 points

Cole, Pac, Desharnais and Plekanec would be ahead of Kovalev on the depth chart for obvious reasons and Gionta if healthy but after that Kovalev on a 3rd line would be great if he's motivated which I think he would be because he loves the attention here in MTL, that is what made him have good years here compared to New York.

habscup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2012, 01:30 PM
DenverHabsFan

Quote:
Practically. A 15-goal Kovalev playing on the 3rd line at 1.2 mills is better than a 5-goal Gomez playing on the 2nd line at 7 mills.
Totally agree. For better or for worse, Kovalev is a very emotional player who will do well if he's happy. Last 4 years mean nothing since this is where he wanted to be. He loves Mtl and still can produce more than half our forwards. If he accepts a limited role for limited money, he adds depth and an option on the PP and shootout.

I'm reading the same thing I read about Jagr last summer. Look at his numbers now and tell me with a straight face that Plekanec would have had a worse season with him on the wing?

DenverHabsFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2012, 01:33 PM
poetryinmotion

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverHabsFan View Post
Totally agree. For better or for worse, Kovalev is a very emotional player who will do well if he's happy. Last 4 years mean nothing since this is where he wanted to be. He loves Mtl and still can produce more than half our forwards. If he accepts a limited role for limited money, he adds depth and an option on the PP and shootout.

I'm reading the same thing I read about Jagr last summer. Look at his numbers now and tell me with a straight face that Plekanec would have had a worse season with him on the wing?
Doesn't Jagr play with Giroux? It must have inflated his stats seeing as how he has a >.ppg player on his line.

poetryinmotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2012, 01:42 PM
DAChampion

Quote:

Jagr was dominating the KHL, Kovalev was not.

DAChampion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2012, 01:46 PM
PricePkPatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAChampion View Post
Jagr was dominating the KHL, Kovalev was not.
Hence why I expect Kovalev to be on the 3rd line, where I expected Jagr to be on the 1/2nd

PricePkPatch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2012, 01:46 PM

Quote:

Are you for real? lol

His last 4 years mean nothing???

417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2012, 01:55 PM
DenverHabsFan

People don't understand the concept of depth the way teams out West do. That's why you often see players considered "washed up" like Koivu, Selanne, Arnott, Bertuzzi, Langenbrunner play in the Western Conference. Even Modano had stepped down to a more limited role at some point.

You can't expect those guys to play at a high level all season but there are nights where they can make a difference. That's why Boston had Dr. Recchi on a cup-winning team.

Old
03-23-2012, 02:00 PM

Quote:
People don't understand the concept of depth the way teams out West do. That's why you often see players considered "washed up" like Koivu, Selanne, Arnott, Bertuzzi, Langenbrunner play in the Western Conference. Even Modano had stepped down to a more limited role at some point.

You can't expect those guys to play at a high level all season but there are nights where they can make a difference. That's why Boston had Dr. Recchi on a cup-winning team.
I get the concept of depth...but Kovalev is most effective as a player who plays heavy minutes in a big role. He's not effective at all in a reduced role.

That's the difference between Kovalev and the players you mentioned, these guys are still in the NHL today because they've been able to adapt to survive. Kovalev is still the mecurial talent he always was.

Old
03-23-2012, 02:01 PM
DenverHabsFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by 417 View Post
Are you for real? lol

His last 4 years mean nothing???
The guy was so depressed being in Ottawa he spent the first half of the season saying how much he would love to come back here.

He just got swept in Gainey's Destruction Of 2009.

Old
03-23-2012, 02:01 PM
PricePkPatch

Quote:

An intelligent Habs fan? Impossible!!!

Thank you sir! Lack of Depth is what killed us defensively this year and may prove to kill us next year if we keep trying to swing only for homeruns.

Kovalev, if he proves competitive in camp, would be a great addition to our lower depth. Play him alongside energy youngsters like Leblanc and Eller, he could pick up pace and give us this 1-goal that would have the difference in so many ****ing games this year.

You cannot rely on Cole-DD-Patch to produce all the time. Quality depth is always nice, specially if they are skilled like the Kommodore. You can afford to focus your 4th line with your spare energy players!

Old
03-23-2012, 02:05 PM
Habitant le colon

I said yes :

Invite him to drop him like Nolan he is a good warm up for our rookie and can give them at least some tricks !!

Habitant le colon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2012, 02:08 PM

Quote:
The guy was so depressed being in Ottawa he spent the first half of the season saying how much he would love to come back here.

He just got swept in Gainey's Destruction Of 2009.
Give me a break lol...HE chose to go to Ottawa. There was a contract on the table for Kovalev. Once again, his massive ego got into his way and thankfully, the Habs decided to move on. So glad they dodged that bullet.

You know why he wanted to come back to Montreal? Because in Ottawa, he was just another player on the team, he had no clout...in Montreal he was treated like a God. Everyone in Montreal stroked his ego and there's nothign Kovalev loves more than that.

He did his time in Montreal, he had 1 exceptional season sandwhiched in between some mediocre one's, not to mention his fair share of scandals. The time has passed, the game has certainly passed him.

I don't understand how you can just forget his performance the last 4 years where he's been absolutely brutal, and expect the guy to just come back to the NHL and perform JUST because he's with the Habs now...pipe dream

notice how he's announced he wants to come back, yet no one in the NHL is talking about it? No one except for groupie Habs fans

Old
03-23-2012, 02:09 PM
DenverHabsFan

Quote:
I get the concept of depth...but Kovalev is most effective as a player who plays heavy minutes in a big role. He's not effective at all in a reduced role.

That's the difference between Kovalev and the players you mentioned, these guys are still in the NHL today because they've been able to adapt to survive. Kovalev is still the mecurial talent he always was.
Was he ever asked to consider a limited role? He left here making elite money and got about the same amount in Ottawa. People change.

Again, we're only talking about a trial at training camp. We're not planning to build around him. If he makes $1-2M, expectations have to be low.

Another thing to consider: if we draft one of the Russians, isn't there a chance that kid would love to have Kovalev as a mentor?

Old
03-23-2012, 02:10 PM
Craig71

Kovalev has all the talent in the world, even at his age but he has very little desire and heart to go with it. He is the exact opposite of the type of guy that you would want anywhere near your younger players.

Craig71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2012, 02:14 PM
PricePkPatch

Okay, so we agree. This offseason's pickups will be:

Radulov
Grigorenko
Semin
Kovalev

Aint that a winning attitude team?!

Old
03-23-2012, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Thank you sir! Lack of Depth is what killed us defensively this year and may prove to kill us next year if we keep trying to swing only for homeruns.
How is Alex Kovalev going to help the Habs 'defensively'????
Quote:
Kovalev, if he proves competitive in camp, would be a great addition to our lower depth. Play him alongside energy youngsters like Leblanc and Eller, he could pick up pace and give us this 1-goal that would have the difference in so many ****ing games this year.
I don't want ANY Habs players learning from Kovalev's work habits, MUCH LESS guys like Eller and/or Leblanc, who if they played with Kovalev would feel pressure to keep passing the puck to him.

Quote:
You cannot rely on Cole-DD-Patch to produce all the time. Quality depth is always nice, specially if they are skilled like the Kommodore. You can afford to focus your 4th line with your spare energy players
Quality depth is great, I just wouldn't call Alex Kovalev a 'depth type' of player.

Old
03-23-2012, 02:19 PM
ozo

Send a message via Skype™ to ozo
Whoever made this rumour hasn't seen him playing for years, that's fore sure. He's not even remotely useful in KHL anymore. He is as done as Russian player can be...

ozo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2012, 02:20 PM
Craig71

Alex Kovalev, the depth player/mentor to our youth.

Craig71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2012, 02:22 PM
boynickname

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig71 View Post
Kovalev has all the talent in the world, even at his age but he has very little desire and heart to go with it. He is the exact opposite of the type of guy that you would want anywhere near your younger players.
Very true...Kovalev was always exciting to watch when his head was in the game...But I wanted to kill myself when his mind was on another planet

boynickname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2012, 02:24 PM
PricePkPatch

Quote:
How is Alex Kovalev going to help the Habs 'defensively'????
My bad, I was talking about depth overall and I didn't specify my change of topic. Sorry

Quote:
I don't want ANY Habs players learning from Kovalev's work habits, MUCH LESS guys like Eller and/or Leblanc, who if they played with Kovalev would feel pressure to keep passing the puck to him.
you are right. They might catch Kooties!!

"Feel pressured to pass to him"? Now you are just making things up

Quote:
Quality depth is great, I just wouldn't call Alex Kovalev a 'depth type' of player.
Not before. Dr Recchi sure wasn't in the past, but he sucked it up and learned to deal with a depth position. If Kovalev can learn to live with it in a single city, it's Montreal.

Old
03-23-2012, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Was he ever asked to consider a limited role? He left here making elite money and got about the same amount in Ottawa. People change.

Again, we're only talking about a trial at training camp. We're not planning to build around him. If he makes $1-2M, expectations have to be low.

Another thing to consider: if we draft one of the Russians, isn't there a chance that kid would love to have Kovalev as a mentor?
You didn't follow Kovalev's time in Ottawa much did you? When the Sens realized Kovalev was way past his prime, they put him in a reduced role...how did Kovalev react? By calling ou the coach and demanding more icetime.

I wouldn't want Kovalev back for league minimum...not that I even think Kovalev would CONSIDER coming back to the NHL on a camp invite (the damage it would do to his ego would be too severe lol).

As for providing a mentor if the Habs potentially draft a Russian? Sigh...assuming the Habs do draft a russian, how do you know if he even makes the team next year? Furthermore, I would MUCH rather him look to Andrei Markov as a mentor, not Alex Kovalev.

I mean, I could understand the interest in kovalev if he went to the KHL and revived his career...but he hasn't, if anything, he's tarnished it even more.

The guy is done...I have zero interest in watching this guy figure skate with the puck for 15 mins a night...none

Old
03-23-2012, 02:26 PM
DenverHabsFan

Quote:
Okay, so we agree. This offseason's pickups will be:

Radulov
Grigorenko
Semin
Kovalev

Aint that a winning attitude team?!
I was going to completely agree until I saw the

Seriously, players get such a bad rep sometimes. I don't remember Kovalev being known for drama before playing in Mtl.

I have to find that link about how Stéphane Richer wanted to kill himself when he played here. He was the most quiet and private person and the media crated all that drama around him. My favorite quote is when he said scoring 30 here is like 50 elsewhere.

I must be the only one who think Semin is worth an offer. Some players just don't fit certain circumstances. Look at how Carter went from being a stud to 2nd line material. Even with LA.

Old
03-23-2012, 02:28 PM

Quote:

you are right. They might catch Kooties!!

"Feel pressured to pass to him"? Now you are just making things up

Not before. Dr Recchi sure wasn't in the past, but he sucked it up and learned to deal with a depth position. If Kovalev can learn to live with it in a single city, it's Montreal.
I'm making things up? Hmmm...I seem to recall Tomas Plekanec after one of his difficult years, saying he spent alot of the year trying to get Kovalev the puck all the time and it really affected the way he played. But why let facts get in the way of the fantasy of having Kovalev back

As for Recchi...like you said, he sucked it up and learned to deal with a depth role...something Kovalev has proven incapble of doing.

Old
03-23-2012, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig71 View Post
Alex Kovalev, the depth player/mentor to our youth.
I found that one pretty funny myself...the very definition of an oxy-moron