HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

HF Shinny - Game 2 - Saturday, October 6th, 9:30AM, 8-Rinks

Closed Thread

Old
03-22-2012, 12:10 PM
Mr. Canucklehead
Mod Supervisor
Kitimat Canuck

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank4Hart View Post
depending on the time and location i could show up as goalie...

haven't gone onto the ice in a couple years since i play mostly road and roller now... but if you don't mind me playing like crap for half an hour or so before settling in then I am down for ice as well, doesnt matter if its roller/ball/ice since i have sufficient protection.
Wicked! I don't know about everyone else, but I think there'll be a good "feeling out" period for my legs as well.

Mr. Canucklehead
Wilch
Reverend Mayhem
Winroba (prefers ball hockey)
Figz14 (prefers ball hockey)
Stefan It Up
Canadian Chris
True North
Hank4Hart (goalie)
Ski Powder (goalie)

10 so far, getting closer...

Would we prefer a daytime slot on a weekend? Or a late night slot?

Old
03-22-2012, 12:16 PM
Hank4Hart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Canucklehead View Post
Wicked! I don't know about everyone else, but I think there'll be a good "feeling out" period for my legs as well.

Mr. Canucklehead
Wilch
Reverend Mayhem
Stefan It Up
Canadian Chris
True North
Hank4Hart (goalie)
Ski Powder (goalie)

10 so far, getting closer...

Would we prefer a daytime slot on a weekend? Or a late night slot?
late night/weekend for me

Old
03-22-2012, 12:19 PM
Canadian Chris

vCash: 748
weekend, anytime day or night for me...ferry and work and all...lol

Old
03-22-2012, 12:24 PM
Hank4Hart

A few things to keep in mind

if we end up choosing ball hockey, its about 50 bucks an hour to book the gym at Brittania, thats about the only community centre in the city that has open booking on weekends, all the other ones are usually taken up by programs.

UBC osborne should be available for booking as well for about 30 an hour but that place has the cement floors and it will kill your sticks and pads. I'd go with Brittania based on experience, gym floor is more fun than cement.

theres also the hockey box at QE park for roller/ball hockey thats for free, but on weekends that are usually people there starting at 12 so if we want to play there we'd have to show up by 11.

ice hockey wise, community centers such as kerrisdale/brittania are generally cheaper than 8 rinks (bad ice though), if they are still open in may i'd book at the community centers they are less in demand

Old
03-22-2012, 12:31 PM
Mr. Canucklehead
Mod Supervisor
Kitimat Canuck

Quote:
A few things to keep in mind

if we end up choosing ball hockey, its about 50 bucks an hour to book the gym at Brittania, thats about the only community centre in the city that has open booking on weekends, all the other ones are usually taken up by programs.

UBC osborne should be available for booking as well for about 30 an hour but that place has the cement floors and it will kill your sticks and pads. I'd go with Brittania based on experience, gym floor is more fun than cement.

theres also the hockey box at QE park for roller/ball hockey thats for free, but on weekends that are usually people there starting at 12 so if we want to play there we'd have to show up by 11.

ice hockey wise, community centers such as kerrisdale/brittania are generally cheaper than 8 rinks (bad ice though), if they are still open in may i'd book at the community centers they are less in demand
I'm partial to ice myself as I love any excuse to get my skates out. (and I don't have a stick for ball hockey use...I forgot how badly sticks can get mangled playing on concrete, thanks for reminding me)

Britannia is the one in downtown Vancouver, right? Near Denman St?

And Kerrisdale, that takes me back. I haven't played in that rink since I was 11 or 12 years old.

Another advantage of 8-Rinks is that it has a restaurant/bar/lounge right upstairs for gathering afterwards. In an ideal world, the Canucks would still be playing playoff hockey in May...wouldn't that be great if we could combine the day into a shinny/Canuck game event.

Old
03-22-2012, 12:57 PM
RandV
It's a wolf v2.0

vCash: 50
I prefer ice hockey now but can play both.

Old
03-22-2012, 12:58 PM
RandV
It's a wolf v2.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilch View Post
The person who'd like to organize could start a thread on this forum, and see how many people are up for it.

As for goalies:
http://www.hockey-community.com/

I use that site a lot to find drop-in games. I also see a lot of people using it to find goalies. Seems like goalies are easy to find if you let them play for free.
Never heard of this site before, does it work okay for a single player looking to sub in a few games? I've been restricted to one league due to financial restraints, but I really want to play more and while a full second team might be too much can afford to sub for a few games.

Old
03-22-2012, 01:03 PM
Hank4Hart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilch View Post
The person who'd like to organize could start a thread on this forum, and see how many people are up for it.

As for goalies:
http://www.hockey-community.com/

I use that site a lot to find drop-in games. I also see a lot of people using it to find goalies. Seems like goalies are easy to find if you let them play for free.
most goalies usually expect to not have to pay considering the money that they had to shell out for gear.

back on topic though, i think i'd take ice hockey over ball hockey as well. especially if we can go to the restaurant lounge for a canucks game after

Old
03-22-2012, 01:04 PM
Hank4Hart

Quote:
I'm partial to ice myself as I love any excuse to get my skates out. (and I don't have a stick for ball hockey use...I forgot how badly sticks can get mangled playing on concrete, thanks for reminding me)

Britannia is the one in downtown Vancouver, right? Near Denman St?

And Kerrisdale, that takes me back. I haven't played in that rink since I was 11 or 12 years old.

Another advantage of 8-Rinks is that it has a restaurant/bar/lounge right upstairs for gathering afterwards. In an ideal world, the Canucks would still be playing playoff hockey in May...wouldn't that be great if we could combine the day into a shinny/Canuck game event.
Brittania is next to commercial drive

8 rinks it is then!

Old
03-22-2012, 01:05 PM
Mr. Canucklehead
Mod Supervisor
Kitimat Canuck

Quote:
most goalies usually expect to not have to pay considering the money that they had to shell out for gear.

back on topic though, i think i'd take ice hockey over ball hockey as well. especially if we can go to the restaurant lounge for a canucks game after
Right on. Hopefully it all works out that way!

Updated list of interested parties...

Mr. Canucklehead
Wilch
Reverend Mayhem
Stefan It Up
Canadian Chris
True North
RandV
Hank4Hart (goalie)
Ski Powder (goalie)

Old
03-22-2012, 01:15 PM
Wilch
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandV View Post
Never heard of this site before, does it work okay for a single player looking to sub in a few games? I've been restricted to one league due to financial restraints, but I really want to play more and while a full second team might be too much can afford to sub for a few games.
On that site, you find drop-in games or people recruiting for league players on a full time basis. You could make a posting there and ask around. If you get lucky you might be able to find something.

Also, Mr. Canucklehead, I'll only be playing if this happens within the next 3 weeks. I'll be flying out of town for quite a while after that unfortunately

Old
03-22-2012, 02:15 PM
rye&ginger

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandV View Post
Two guys that were on my team run that site. Its easier to find drop in games there right now.

PM your email address and what league and div you play in right now, I can put you on my teams spare list if it makes sense.

Im in for ice, but busy, so attending depends on the day and time!

Old
03-22-2012, 02:33 PM
Nash

As long as I don't have a conflict with a league game, I'd play for sure. The Saturday afternoon time sounds better to me.

Old
03-22-2012, 02:37 PM
Timmer44

vCash: 400
I'm down for Ice hockey.

Old
03-22-2012, 02:57 PM
Mr. Canucklehead
Mod Supervisor
Kitimat Canuck

Mr. Canucklehead
Wilch
Reverend Mayhem
Stefan It Up
Canadian Chris
True North
RandV
rye&ginger
Nash
Timmer44
Hank4Hart (goalie)
Ski Powder (goalie)

14 interested parties. 1 more and we can do an afternoon slot at about $17.00 a head at 8-Rinks in Burnaby.

Wilch - I wouldn't be able to organize one in three weeks as I won't be there. I'll be down in May between the 5th and 12th, and I'll volunteer to organize one/rent ice etc. at that stage. But someone else would have to take the reins for a sooner one.

Old
03-22-2012, 03:32 PM
Wilch
Unregistered User

Quote:
Mr. Canucklehead
Wilch
Reverend Mayhem
Stefan It Up
Canadian Chris
True North
RandV
rye&ginger
Nash
Timmer44
Hank4Hart (goalie)
Ski Powder (goalie)

14 interested parties. 1 more and we can do an afternoon slot at about $17.00 a head at 8-Rinks in Burnaby.

Wilch - I wouldn't be able to organize one in three weeks as I won't be there. I'll be down in May between the 5th and 12th, and I'll volunteer to organize one/rent ice etc. at that stage. But someone else would have to take the reins for a sooner one.
It's all good, hopefully by the time I return to Vancouver this is already become a sort of a bi-weekly or monthly thing

Old
03-22-2012, 03:35 PM
jd22

vCash: 705
Send a message via MSN to jd22
If it's a ball hockey game, I'm in. I don't have the equipment for ice.

As long as HF'ers are mostly competent. I went to a CDC drop in back in the day, it was a disaster. I felt like I was playing with pylons.

Old
03-22-2012, 03:39 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
I'm interested...

Old
03-22-2012, 03:40 PM
sewellda

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd22 View Post
Same here, I'm in for ball hockey ...

Old
03-22-2012, 03:41 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

I'll do ice or roller hockey. Whatever works.

Old
03-22-2012, 04:04 PM
Mr. Canucklehead
Mod Supervisor
Kitimat Canuck

Mr. Canucklehead
Wilch
Reverend Mayhem
Stefan It Up
Canadian Chris
True North
RandV
rye&ginger
Nash
Timmer44
y2kcanucks
jd22 (prefers ball hockey)
sewellda (prefers ball hockey)
Hank4Hart (goalie)
Ski Powder (goalie)

I think that's enough to kind of get us started. Anyone else who wants to come and we can just drop the price as the group expands.

So at this stage, let's say we did this...

Saturday, May 12th
12:30PM - 1:45PM
Burnaby 8 Rinks
Burnaby, BC
$223.75 + Taxes = Approx. $250.60 / 15 People = $16.71 (round up to $17.00)

(Link to Prices and Times: http://icesports.com/burnaby8rinks/ice-rental.aspx)

We have two goalies and around 13 skaters, we could have a pretty good game. Full gear for goalies, sticks/gloves/skates for the skaters? (8 Rinks also has a sport shop that does skate rentals and stuff, IIRC. I could probably scrounge up some extra sticks)

Then we can head upstairs to the restaurant/lounge/bar after.

I don't mind fronting the cost and I could probably pick some people up that day. I'd be in North Van headed to Burnaby.

How does that all sound?

Last edited by Mr. Canucklehead: 03-22-2012 at 04:11 PM.
Old
03-22-2012, 04:10 PM
Mr. Canucklehead
Mod Supervisor
Kitimat Canuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd22 View Post

As long as HF'ers are mostly competent. I went to a CDC drop in back in the day, it was a disaster. I felt like I was playing with pylons.
I remember once way back - maybe 9 or 10 years ago - a couple of us from CDC organized an excursion to 8 Rinks. I think four people showed up. (the poor guy who fronted for the ice was out a lot of money). At least we had a goaltender so we could goof off and do shootouts and stuff, but yeah.

I played house hockey growing up my whole life and still play in a beer league, so I can at least skate, shoot and pass.

Old
03-22-2012, 04:31 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

What are the rules pertaining to contact? If skaters are just playing with sticks, gloves and a helmet I would suggest no contact, and no slap shots. If everyone wears full gear perhaps we can introduce light contact?

Also I highly recommend shin pads.

Old
03-22-2012, 04:38 PM
Mr. Canucklehead
Mod Supervisor
Kitimat Canuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kcanucks View Post
What are the rules pertaining to contact? If skaters are just playing with sticks, gloves and a helmet I would suggest no contact, and no slap shots. If everyone wears full gear perhaps we can introduce light contact?

Also I highly recommend shin pads.
I think it goes without saying that if we just go with sticks/gloves/etc. that there would be no contact. Ditto for no slapshots, although again - I could bring a foam puck to ensure no one gets dinged.

If we all had full gear or whatnot, I guess the majority could decide on those items.

Old
03-22-2012, 04:43 PM
Lundface

I would be interested. Haven't skated in years but would love an excuse to play again.

Closed Thread