HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

HF Shinny - Game 2 - Saturday, October 6th, 9:30AM, 8-Rinks

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-22-2012, 12:10 PM
  #26
Mr. Canucklehead
Mod Supervisor
Kitimat Canuck
 
Mr. Canucklehead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Kitimat, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,576
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank4Hart View Post
depending on the time and location i could show up as goalie...

haven't gone onto the ice in a couple years since i play mostly road and roller now... but if you don't mind me playing like crap for half an hour or so before settling in then I am down for ice as well, doesnt matter if its roller/ball/ice since i have sufficient protection.
Wicked! I don't know about everyone else, but I think there'll be a good "feeling out" period for my legs as well.

Mr. Canucklehead
Wilch
Reverend Mayhem
Winroba (prefers ball hockey)
Figz14 (prefers ball hockey)
Stefan It Up
Canadian Chris
True North
Hank4Hart (goalie)
Ski Powder (goalie)

10 so far, getting closer...

Would we prefer a daytime slot on a weekend? Or a late night slot?

Mr. Canucklehead is offline  
Old
03-22-2012, 12:16 PM
  #27
Hank4Hart
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 1,084
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Canucklehead View Post
Wicked! I don't know about everyone else, but I think there'll be a good "feeling out" period for my legs as well.

Mr. Canucklehead
Wilch
Reverend Mayhem
Winroba (prefers ball hockey)
Figz14 (prefers ball hockey)
Stefan It Up
Canadian Chris
True North
Hank4Hart (goalie)
Ski Powder (goalie)

10 so far, getting closer...

Would we prefer a daytime slot on a weekend? Or a late night slot?
late night/weekend for me

Hank4Hart is offline  
Old
03-22-2012, 12:19 PM
  #28
Canadian Chris
Registered User
 
Canadian Chris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Nanaimo, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,191
vCash: 748
weekend, anytime day or night for me...ferry and work and all...lol

Canadian Chris is offline  
Old
03-22-2012, 12:24 PM
  #29
Hank4Hart
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 1,084
vCash: 500
A few things to keep in mind

if we end up choosing ball hockey, its about 50 bucks an hour to book the gym at Brittania, thats about the only community centre in the city that has open booking on weekends, all the other ones are usually taken up by programs.

UBC osborne should be available for booking as well for about 30 an hour but that place has the cement floors and it will kill your sticks and pads. I'd go with Brittania based on experience, gym floor is more fun than cement.

theres also the hockey box at QE park for roller/ball hockey thats for free, but on weekends that are usually people there starting at 12 so if we want to play there we'd have to show up by 11.

ice hockey wise, community centers such as kerrisdale/brittania are generally cheaper than 8 rinks (bad ice though), if they are still open in may i'd book at the community centers they are less in demand

Hank4Hart is offline  
Old
03-22-2012, 12:31 PM
  #30
Mr. Canucklehead
Mod Supervisor
Kitimat Canuck
 
Mr. Canucklehead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Kitimat, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,576
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank4Hart View Post
A few things to keep in mind

if we end up choosing ball hockey, its about 50 bucks an hour to book the gym at Brittania, thats about the only community centre in the city that has open booking on weekends, all the other ones are usually taken up by programs.

UBC osborne should be available for booking as well for about 30 an hour but that place has the cement floors and it will kill your sticks and pads. I'd go with Brittania based on experience, gym floor is more fun than cement.

theres also the hockey box at QE park for roller/ball hockey thats for free, but on weekends that are usually people there starting at 12 so if we want to play there we'd have to show up by 11.

ice hockey wise, community centers such as kerrisdale/brittania are generally cheaper than 8 rinks (bad ice though), if they are still open in may i'd book at the community centers they are less in demand
I'm partial to ice myself as I love any excuse to get my skates out. (and I don't have a stick for ball hockey use...I forgot how badly sticks can get mangled playing on concrete, thanks for reminding me)

Britannia is the one in downtown Vancouver, right? Near Denman St?

And Kerrisdale, that takes me back. I haven't played in that rink since I was 11 or 12 years old.

Another advantage of 8-Rinks is that it has a restaurant/bar/lounge right upstairs for gathering afterwards. In an ideal world, the Canucks would still be playing playoff hockey in May...wouldn't that be great if we could combine the day into a shinny/Canuck game event.

Mr. Canucklehead is offline  
Old
03-22-2012, 12:57 PM
  #31
RandV
It's a wolf v2.0
 
RandV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,409
vCash: 50
I prefer ice hockey now but can play both.

RandV is offline  
Old
03-22-2012, 12:58 PM
  #32
RandV
It's a wolf v2.0
 
RandV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,409
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilch View Post
The person who'd like to organize could start a thread on this forum, and see how many people are up for it.

As for goalies:
http://www.hockey-community.com/

I use that site a lot to find drop-in games. I also see a lot of people using it to find goalies. Seems like goalies are easy to find if you let them play for free.
Never heard of this site before, does it work okay for a single player looking to sub in a few games? I've been restricted to one league due to financial restraints, but I really want to play more and while a full second team might be too much can afford to sub for a few games.

RandV is offline  
Old
03-22-2012, 01:03 PM
  #33
Hank4Hart
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 1,084
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilch View Post
The person who'd like to organize could start a thread on this forum, and see how many people are up for it.

As for goalies:
http://www.hockey-community.com/

I use that site a lot to find drop-in games. I also see a lot of people using it to find goalies. Seems like goalies are easy to find if you let them play for free.
most goalies usually expect to not have to pay considering the money that they had to shell out for gear.


back on topic though, i think i'd take ice hockey over ball hockey as well. especially if we can go to the restaurant lounge for a canucks game after

Hank4Hart is offline  
Old
03-22-2012, 01:04 PM
  #34
Hank4Hart
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 1,084
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Canucklehead View Post
I'm partial to ice myself as I love any excuse to get my skates out. (and I don't have a stick for ball hockey use...I forgot how badly sticks can get mangled playing on concrete, thanks for reminding me)

Britannia is the one in downtown Vancouver, right? Near Denman St?

And Kerrisdale, that takes me back. I haven't played in that rink since I was 11 or 12 years old.

Another advantage of 8-Rinks is that it has a restaurant/bar/lounge right upstairs for gathering afterwards. In an ideal world, the Canucks would still be playing playoff hockey in May...wouldn't that be great if we could combine the day into a shinny/Canuck game event.
Brittania is next to commercial drive

8 rinks it is then!

Hank4Hart is offline  
Old
03-22-2012, 01:05 PM
  #35
Mr. Canucklehead
Mod Supervisor
Kitimat Canuck
 
Mr. Canucklehead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Kitimat, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,576
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank4Hart View Post
most goalies usually expect to not have to pay considering the money that they had to shell out for gear.


back on topic though, i think i'd take ice hockey over ball hockey as well. especially if we can go to the restaurant lounge for a canucks game after
Right on. Hopefully it all works out that way!

Updated list of interested parties...

Mr. Canucklehead
Wilch
Reverend Mayhem
Winroba (prefers ball hockey)
Figz14 (prefers ball hockey)
Stefan It Up
Canadian Chris
True North
RandV
Hank4Hart (goalie)
Ski Powder (goalie)

Mr. Canucklehead is offline  
Old
03-22-2012, 01:15 PM
  #36
Wilch
Unregistered User
 
Wilch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Under your bed
Country: Taiwan
Posts: 8,224
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandV View Post
Never heard of this site before, does it work okay for a single player looking to sub in a few games? I've been restricted to one league due to financial restraints, but I really want to play more and while a full second team might be too much can afford to sub for a few games.
On that site, you find drop-in games or people recruiting for league players on a full time basis. You could make a posting there and ask around. If you get lucky you might be able to find something.

Also, Mr. Canucklehead, I'll only be playing if this happens within the next 3 weeks. I'll be flying out of town for quite a while after that unfortunately

Wilch is offline  
Old
03-22-2012, 02:15 PM
  #37
rye&ginger
Registered User
 
rye&ginger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,156
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandV View Post
Never heard of this site before, does it work okay for a single player looking to sub in a few games? I've been restricted to one league due to financial restraints, but I really want to play more and while a full second team might be too much can afford to sub for a few games.
Two guys that were on my team run that site. Its easier to find drop in games there right now.

PM your email address and what league and div you play in right now, I can put you on my teams spare list if it makes sense.


Im in for ice, but busy, so attending depends on the day and time!

rye&ginger is offline  
Old
03-22-2012, 02:33 PM
  #38
Nash
Registered User
 
Nash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: North Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,916
vCash: 500
As long as I don't have a conflict with a league game, I'd play for sure. The Saturday afternoon time sounds better to me.

Nash is offline  
Old
03-22-2012, 02:37 PM
  #39
Timmer44
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Van City
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,202
vCash: 400
I'm down for Ice hockey.

Timmer44 is offline  
Old
03-22-2012, 02:57 PM
  #40
Mr. Canucklehead
Mod Supervisor
Kitimat Canuck
 
Mr. Canucklehead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Kitimat, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,576
vCash: 500
Mr. Canucklehead
Wilch
Reverend Mayhem
Winroba (prefers ball hockey)
Figz14 (prefers ball hockey)
Stefan It Up
Canadian Chris
True North
RandV
rye&ginger
Nash
Timmer44
Hank4Hart (goalie)
Ski Powder (goalie)

14 interested parties. 1 more and we can do an afternoon slot at about $17.00 a head at 8-Rinks in Burnaby.

Wilch - I wouldn't be able to organize one in three weeks as I won't be there. I'll be down in May between the 5th and 12th, and I'll volunteer to organize one/rent ice etc. at that stage. But someone else would have to take the reins for a sooner one.

Mr. Canucklehead is offline  
Old
03-22-2012, 03:32 PM
  #41
Wilch
Unregistered User
 
Wilch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Under your bed
Country: Taiwan
Posts: 8,224
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Canucklehead View Post
Mr. Canucklehead
Wilch
Reverend Mayhem
Winroba (prefers ball hockey)
Figz14 (prefers ball hockey)
Stefan It Up
Canadian Chris
True North
RandV
rye&ginger
Nash
Timmer44
Hank4Hart (goalie)
Ski Powder (goalie)

14 interested parties. 1 more and we can do an afternoon slot at about $17.00 a head at 8-Rinks in Burnaby.

Wilch - I wouldn't be able to organize one in three weeks as I won't be there. I'll be down in May between the 5th and 12th, and I'll volunteer to organize one/rent ice etc. at that stage. But someone else would have to take the reins for a sooner one.
It's all good, hopefully by the time I return to Vancouver this is already become a sort of a bi-weekly or monthly thing

Wilch is offline  
Old
03-22-2012, 03:35 PM
  #42
jd22
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Victoria, Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 940
vCash: 705
Send a message via MSN to jd22
If it's a ball hockey game, I'm in. I don't have the equipment for ice.

As long as HF'ers are mostly competent. I went to a CDC drop in back in the day, it was a disaster. I felt like I was playing with pylons.

jd22 is offline  
Old
03-22-2012, 03:39 PM
  #43
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality
 
y2kcanucks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Surrey, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 46,465
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
I'm interested...

y2kcanucks is offline  
Old
03-22-2012, 03:40 PM
  #44
sewellda
Registered User
 
sewellda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 351
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jd22 View Post
If it's a ball hockey game, I'm in. I don't have the equipment for ice.
Same here, I'm in for ball hockey ...

sewellda is offline  
Old
03-22-2012, 03:41 PM
  #45
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality
 
y2kcanucks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Surrey, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 46,465
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
I'll do ice or roller hockey. Whatever works.

y2kcanucks is offline  
Old
03-22-2012, 04:04 PM
  #46
Mr. Canucklehead
Mod Supervisor
Kitimat Canuck
 
Mr. Canucklehead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Kitimat, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,576
vCash: 500
Mr. Canucklehead
Wilch
Reverend Mayhem
Winroba (prefers ball hockey)
Figz14 (prefers ball hockey)
Stefan It Up
Canadian Chris
True North
RandV
rye&ginger
Nash
Timmer44
y2kcanucks
jd22 (prefers ball hockey)
sewellda (prefers ball hockey)
Hank4Hart (goalie)
Ski Powder (goalie)

I think that's enough to kind of get us started. Anyone else who wants to come and we can just drop the price as the group expands.

So at this stage, let's say we did this...

Saturday, May 12th
12:30PM - 1:45PM
Burnaby 8 Rinks
Burnaby, BC
$223.75 + Taxes = Approx. $250.60 / 15 People = $16.71 (round up to $17.00)

(Link to Prices and Times: http://icesports.com/burnaby8rinks/ice-rental.aspx)

We have two goalies and around 13 skaters, we could have a pretty good game. Full gear for goalies, sticks/gloves/skates for the skaters? (8 Rinks also has a sport shop that does skate rentals and stuff, IIRC. I could probably scrounge up some extra sticks)

Then we can head upstairs to the restaurant/lounge/bar after.

I don't mind fronting the cost and I could probably pick some people up that day. I'd be in North Van headed to Burnaby.

How does that all sound?


Last edited by Mr. Canucklehead: 03-22-2012 at 04:11 PM.
Mr. Canucklehead is offline  
Old
03-22-2012, 04:10 PM
  #47
Mr. Canucklehead
Mod Supervisor
Kitimat Canuck
 
Mr. Canucklehead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Kitimat, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,576
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jd22 View Post
If it's a ball hockey game, I'm in. I don't have the equipment for ice.

As long as HF'ers are mostly competent. I went to a CDC drop in back in the day, it was a disaster. I felt like I was playing with pylons.
I remember once way back - maybe 9 or 10 years ago - a couple of us from CDC organized an excursion to 8 Rinks. I think four people showed up. (the poor guy who fronted for the ice was out a lot of money). At least we had a goaltender so we could goof off and do shootouts and stuff, but yeah.

I played house hockey growing up my whole life and still play in a beer league, so I can at least skate, shoot and pass.

Mr. Canucklehead is offline  
Old
03-22-2012, 04:31 PM
  #48
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality
 
y2kcanucks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Surrey, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 46,465
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
What are the rules pertaining to contact? If skaters are just playing with sticks, gloves and a helmet I would suggest no contact, and no slap shots. If everyone wears full gear perhaps we can introduce light contact?

Also I highly recommend shin pads.

y2kcanucks is offline  
Old
03-22-2012, 04:38 PM
  #49
Mr. Canucklehead
Mod Supervisor
Kitimat Canuck
 
Mr. Canucklehead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Kitimat, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,576
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kcanucks View Post
What are the rules pertaining to contact? If skaters are just playing with sticks, gloves and a helmet I would suggest no contact, and no slap shots. If everyone wears full gear perhaps we can introduce light contact?

Also I highly recommend shin pads.
I think it goes without saying that if we just go with sticks/gloves/etc. that there would be no contact. Ditto for no slapshots, although again - I could bring a foam puck to ensure no one gets dinged.

If we all had full gear or whatnot, I guess the majority could decide on those items.

Mr. Canucklehead is offline  
Old
03-22-2012, 04:43 PM
  #50
Lundface
Registered User
 
Lundface's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 3,283
vCash: 50
I would be interested. Haven't skated in years but would love an excuse to play again.

Lundface is online now  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:32 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.