HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Notices

Sabres eye more arena upgrades

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-21-2012, 07:15 PM
  #1
Woodhouse
Global Moderator
 
Woodhouse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: New York, NY
Posts: 7,294
vCash: 500
Sabres eye more arena upgrades

Buffalo Business First - Sabres eye more arena upgrades:
Quote:
There remains a few weeks left in the 2011-12 regular season but the Buffalo Sabres are already plotting additional alterations to First Niagara Center.

When asked this week what the franchise has planned for upgrading the arena after the season, team President Ted Black would only say with a smile, “Stay tuned.”

The Sabres’ home has already undergone major changes in the last year. It was called HSBC Arena until naming rights were sold to First Niagara Bank last August. Then, in about a 60-day span, the building underwent a significant face lift to include new signs and lights to reflect the First Niagara name. Black listed the quick transformation as the biggest off-ice accomplishment this past season. He said the Sabres and First Niagara were both nimble organizations, which enabled a lot to get done in a short period of time.

Prior to the season, the front lobby and parts of the seating area were painted in Sabres colors, blue and gold. The team also unveiled the team’s new locker room, which covers 30,000 square feet and took seven months from concept to completion at a cost of $6 million or more. According to Frank Cravotta, the team’s director of creative services, the Vancouver Canucks took two years to build their state-of-the-art dressing room.

To the left of the main entrance, the team also built an outdoor patio party area for fans. Inside, the restrooms include television sets and shelves for beer cups.

If there are more changes slated, Black’s not tipping his hand. If there are more modifications in the works, they’ll be announced when the time is right.

“We’re always intrigued by the art of the impossible,” he said. “And we want to be open to new ideas.”
Any guesses or rumors as to what's next at FNC?

Woodhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 07:31 PM
  #2
ugly casanova*
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 165
vCash: 500
I hope ticket costs don't get too crazy

ugly casanova* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 07:35 PM
  #3
rabi
Registered User
 
rabi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Lancaster, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 1,628
vCash: 500
I keep hoping for more escalators from the 300 level down to the 100 level...there were supposed to be side by side escalators(due to price costs, they only put one). There still is room for them to be put next to the existing ones.

rabi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 07:45 PM
  #4
Dixon Ward
Fire SOMEONE
 
Dixon Ward's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: District of Columbia
Country: United States
Posts: 2,030
vCash: 500
how about you focus on some upgrades to the hockey department and roster, mr. president big daddy ted?

Dixon Ward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 08:01 PM
  #5
vcv
Moderator
Deal with it
 
vcv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Williamsville, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 13,358
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to vcv
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabi View Post
I keep hoping for more escalators from the 300 level down to the 100 level...there were supposed to be side by side escalators(due to price costs, they only put one). There still is room for them to be put next to the existing ones.
Ted Black mentioned it last year and my guess is they will do that this year.

My other guesses:
- Attempt to improve acoustics inside the Arena
- More minor improvements to ice making system
- More interactive things in the Arena


Quote:
how about you focus on some upgrades to the hockey department and roster, mr. president big daddy ted?
Is this sarcasm? If so, stop reading.

- It's not Ted Black's job to do that, his focus is mostly business side (which Arena Improvements fall under)
- Added ~10-12 scouts, per Ted Black
- Have acquired/committed to, since Pegula took over:
Brad Boyes (< 2y ~$5-6m, Scorer, didnt work out, oh well),
Christian Ehrhoff (10y $40m, minute eating PPQB),
Cody Hodgson (Vancouvers top center prospect, will be looking for a new contract after next season),
Robyn Regehr (long sough after Veteran Stay at home dman, 2y ~$8m)
Tyler Myers (7y $38m)
Drew Stafford (4y $16m)

You can argue about how good any of those signings/trades were, but that's committment to ~$21m a year in contracts since Pegula took over.

Come on now.

vcv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 08:08 PM
  #6
McTank
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,820
vCash: 500
Refrigerated cup holders and a 3D jumbotron

McTank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 08:12 PM
  #7
omglolnub
Registered User
 
omglolnub's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 2,173
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheyAreGoodScaryGood View Post
Refrigerated cup holders and a 3D jumbotron
**** 3D tv technology

omglolnub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 08:18 PM
  #8
Dixon Ward
Fire SOMEONE
 
Dixon Ward's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: District of Columbia
Country: United States
Posts: 2,030
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by volatile View Post
Is this sarcasm? If so, stop reading.

- It's not Ted Black's job to do that, his focus is mostly business side (which Arena Improvements fall under)
- Added ~10-12 scouts, per Ted Black
- Have acquired/committed to, since Pegula took over:
Brad Boyes (< 2y ~$5-6m, Scorer, didnt work out, oh well),
Christian Ehrhoff (10y $40m, minute eating PPQB),
Cody Hodgson (Vancouvers top center prospect, will be looking for a new contract after next season),
Robyn Regehr (long sough after Veteran Stay at home dman, 2y ~$8m)
Tyler Myers (7y $38m)
Drew Stafford (4y $16m)

You can argue about how good any of those signings/trades were, but that's committment to ~$21m a year in contracts since Pegula took over.

Come on now.
i love this place! i hope you didn't spend too much time typing that up. i dislike only two of those moves. i would love to see ruff canned, but i realize that will never happen. otherwise: so far, so good.

Dixon Ward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 08:27 PM
  #9
Myllz
Pavelski Lite
 
Myllz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Seattle
Country: United States
Posts: 12,933
vCash: 500
Retractable roof incoming.

Myllz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 08:27 PM
  #10
Layne Staley
The Future
 
Layne Staley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 6,385
vCash: 500
Improving the internet connections would be nice.How about better food?It was great on opening night but after that the quality went wayyy down hill.

Layne Staley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 08:48 PM
  #11
Beerz
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Beerz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Country: United States
Posts: 10,471
vCash: 500
Hot Tub Suites... =)

Beerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 08:51 PM
  #12
vcv
Moderator
Deal with it
 
vcv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Williamsville, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 13,358
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to vcv
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myllz View Post
Retractable roof incoming.
I thought of that... but then I thought of that movie with Jean-Claude Van Damme... Sudden Death? Bad mojo.

How about the world's first Bubble-hockey Arena?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreddieBisco View Post
Improving the internet connections would be nice.How about better food?It was great on opening night but after that the quality went wayyy down hill.
Oh god yes. The pizza has gotten worst this year, even in the 200 level. Used to be aaaaaaaaaaawesome, now sometimes you get a slice with barely any cheese.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dixon Ward View Post
i love this place! i hope you didn't spend too much time typing that up. i dislike only two of those moves. i would love to see ruff canned, but i realize that will never happen. otherwise: so far, so good.
Took about an hour.

vcv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 08:51 PM
  #13
johnblah
Registered User
 
johnblah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Jamestown, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 104
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreddieBisco View Post
Improving the internet connections would be nice.How about better food?It was great on opening night but after that the quality went wayyy down hill.
Free wifi in the actual arena seating area would be Great!

johnblah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 08:53 PM
  #14
vcv
Moderator
Deal with it
 
vcv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Williamsville, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 13,358
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to vcv
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnblah View Post
Free wifi in the actual arena seating area would be Great!
They might want to discourage people being on their phones more.

Cell signal jammers instead?

OH! I'm positive they'll do something with the 300-level walls. They talked about some sort of historically themed mural there last year.

vcv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 08:57 PM
  #15
Beerz
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Beerz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Country: United States
Posts: 10,471
vCash: 500
I was hoping for a brand new arena altogether .... State of the Art ...yet historical at same time ... kind of like the Camden Yards of Hockey ... and some more development around the Arena .

But..that hope died when they put in all the improvements last year ..

Oh well.

Beerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 09:00 PM
  #16
Bosswally
Registered User
 
Bosswally's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Johnson City, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 369
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerz View Post
I was hoping for a brand new arena altogether .... State of the Art ...yet historical at same time ... kind of like the Camden Yards of Hockey ... and some more development around the Arena .

But..that hope died when they put in all the improvements last year ..

Oh well.
the probelm is FNC is not quite old enough yet, wont need a new one for another 10 years or so, maybe at the sabres 50th anniversary Pegula will announce plans for a new arena

Bosswally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 09:01 PM
  #17
McTank
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,820
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by volatile View Post
They might want to discourage people being on their phones more.

Cell signal jammers instead?

OH! I'm positive they'll do something with the 300-level walls. They talked about some sort of historically themed mural there last year.
That would be really cool, they got a pretty big canvas to work with

McTank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 09:02 PM
  #18
jamers
McTankel Mechanic
 
jamers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 2,342
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myllz View Post
Retractable roof incoming.
That would be awesome in the winter.

jamers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 09:02 PM
  #19
McTank
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,820
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosswally View Post
the probelm is FNC is not quite old enough yet, wont need a new one for another 10 years or so, maybe at the sabres 50th anniversary Pegula will announce plans for a new arena
Ya I would think he will do it somewhere down the road

McTank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 09:13 PM
  #20
Myllz
Pavelski Lite
 
Myllz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Seattle
Country: United States
Posts: 12,933
vCash: 500
Vendor/food upgrades are probably the closest to reality. I could see them doing that this off-season.

Myllz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 09:16 PM
  #21
barcs
Registered User
 
barcs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Country: United States
Posts: 1,934
vCash: 500
Blow every professional sports teams' pregame montage/light/smoke/laser/flag/gladitor speech show out of the water. Make season ticket holders get chills 41 times a year watching the pregame "thing". That'll get the crowd going.

barcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 09:18 PM
  #22
Beerz
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Beerz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Country: United States
Posts: 10,471
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myllz View Post
Vendor/food upgrades are probably the closest to reality. I could see them doing that this off-season.

Didn't they just do that!?...

Could of swore i saw a shin-dig they held that showcased the new food / Vendors ...

Beerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 09:34 PM
  #23
ZZamboni
Puttin' on the Foil
 
ZZamboni's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Buffalo, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 10,101
vCash: 500
Full on heavy jamming of any and all data signals during periods. Cellphone frequencies can stay available.

Put that freaking phone down and watch the game A-holes!



Food definitely needs improvement.

ZZamboni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 09:35 PM
  #24
ZZamboni
Puttin' on the Foil
 
ZZamboni's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Buffalo, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 10,101
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerz View Post
Didn't they just do that!?...

Could of swore i saw a shin-dig they held that showcased the new food / Vendors ...
A lot of it was for the Harbor clubs and 200 level shindigs

ZZamboni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 09:37 PM
  #25
joshjull
Moderator
 
joshjull's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Hamburg,NY
Country: United States
Posts: 32,341
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZamboni View Post
Full on heavy jamming of any and all data signals during periods. Cellphone frequencies can stay available.

Put that freaking phone down and watch the game A-holes!



Food definitely needs improvement.
How will I be able to babysit you guys in the GDT when I'm at the game?

joshjull is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:35 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.