HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The NHLPA files a grievance on behalf of Ben Eager

Old
03-21-2012, 09:47 PM
AUAIOMRN

vCash: 500
Some people actually think anyone but Eager should pay for this? How big does your sense of entitlement be to think someone else should pay for something you intentionally broke? And how brainwashed does the average fan have to be to believe the same thing?

AUAIOMRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 09:47 PM
Tarus
Fire Mact

Reading the article, I can understand why the NHLPA is doing this.

The Oilers should have questioned why that camera cost $13000 dollars, and should have treated one of their own players with more respect by sending an invoice rather than just arbitrarily docking him pay.

The real issue here isn't Eager breaking the camera or the Oilers asking him to pay for it, but Edmonton's lack of tact in dealing with the situation and perpetuating their reputation as one of the anti-player organzations in the NHL.

Tarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 09:48 PM
metallicat

More bad PR, that's about all that is important here. Whether you agree with the Oilers or Eager. I sort of doubt this will have a huge blowback effect in the long run though.

metallicat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 09:51 PM
MeestaDeteta

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booya42 View Post
It's a perfect comparison.
I'm not disagreeing with the fact that Eager should pay for this. But I don't like comparing real world business to a sport where you're hitting, scrapping and fighting with your "co-workers". It's two different worlds.

MeestaDeteta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 09:51 PM
Booya42
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ) What the...

Eager breaks camera in another rink on purpose....Tambo's fault.

Booya42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 09:54 PM
Eytinge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarus View Post

The Oilers should have questioned why that camera cost $13000 dollars, and should have treated one of their own players with more respect by sending an invoice rather than just arbitrarily docking him pay.

The real issue here isn't Eager breaking the camera or the Oilers asking him to pay for it, but Edmonton's lack of tact in dealing with the situation and perpetuating their reputation as one of the anti-player organzations in the NHL.
Tambo has continually shown he lacks in communication skills. Time and time again.

Eytinge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 09:55 PM
dnicks17

vCash: 1115
Quote:

Good post.

I think this is the point some people are missing.

dnicks17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 09:57 PM
nullterm

vCash: 800
Quote:
This. Eager should pay the bill, but yet again another case of a player not being talked to before hand. Seems like Tambo doesn't like talking to anyone, media, fans, or even his own players until after the fact. Hopefully that's addressed with a new GM, assuming they let him walk alongside Renney.

We're entering a new phase, where clear, open, frequent communication with the players will be paramount to keeping the whole machine running forward in a happy manner.

nullterm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 10:08 PM
Tarus
Fire Mact

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eytinge View Post
Tambo has continually shown he lacks in communication skills. Time and time again.
Seems like it.

Even if Tambo was fired, there would be no relief since Lowe would just get rehired, and is probably worse in player interaction.

Oilers need to get their head out of their a**es and realize that you don't piss of the talent, even if they are low on the totem pole.

Old
03-21-2012, 10:29 PM
Alex87

Quote:
Exactly, but players around the league will think its Edmonton being cheap again.
I don't think you're giving players around the league enough credit. Many of them aren't morons and have a shred of integrity; they would probably think what Eager deserves to pay. In the world of labour relations this is called "culpable behaviour," essentially meaning Eager should have known better and has direct control over his actions. In what universe should an organization have to put up with that? What kind of spineless hockey club would the Oilers be if they allowed their employees to get away with this b.s.?

Of course, I'll add a disclaimer that there is a ton of information we don't have. But I'm pretty sure the Oilers wouldn't pull $13,000 out of thin air, and resolving the grievance would be a matter of producing an invoice or a cost estimate. Easy stuff.

Quote:
You are getting all of your information through the media and are forgetting that the Oilers are a private organization. You have no idea what gets said behind closed doors, so I'm not really sure you have a basis to be saying this.

Last edited by Alex87: 03-21-2012 at 10:34 PM.
Alex87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 10:34 PM
oilborn

I have to weigh in on this one. First off you break it you buy it...accountability is something that is really being lost on these new generations. Second, Why is it the responsibility of the Oilers organization to go to Eager and say look you broke this you need to pay for it, IMO he should have manned up and proactively offered to pay knowing full well it was his actions that caused the damage. In the end I am sure there are better ways this should have been handled like Vancouver going to the NHL and then the NHL could have dealt directly with Eager to resolve the situation but anyway you slice it the Oilers should have no culpability in this situation.

oilborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 10:34 PM
Seachd

Quote:
You think this is a Tambellini issue?

No problem with the Oilers doing this. Maybe Eager will turn his brain on next time he decides to do something like that.

Seachd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 10:38 PM
Eytinge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex87 View Post
I don't think you're giving players around the league enough credit. Many of them aren't morons and have a shred of integrity; they would probably think what Eager deserves to pay. In the world of labour relations this is called "culpable behaviour," essentially meaning Eager should have known better and has direct control over his actions. In what universe should an organization have to put up with that? What kind of spineless hockey club would the Oilers be if they allowed their employees to get away with this b.s.?

Of course, I'll add a disclaimer that there is a ton of information we don't have. But I'm pretty sure the Oilers wouldn't pull $13,000 out of thin air, and resolving the grievance would be a matter of producing an invoice or a cost estimate. Easy stuff.

You are getting all of your information through the media and are forgetting that the Oilers are a private organization. You have no idea what gets said behind closed doors, so I'm not really sure you have a basis to be saying this.
Have you followed the Oilers the last few years? Quinn had no idea where he stood after his first year as coach and was left in limbo, we obviously have heard Souray complain about the Oilers not keeping in touch with him during his injuries, and then the whole Smythgate saga last summer.

And that's just stuff we know about.

Eytinge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 10:39 PM
awesomo
HARD!

No it sets a bad precedence for the oilers to take the hit.

Ben should be responsible for the payment

or just get horcoff to pay. hes robbing the oilers anyway

awesomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 10:40 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

That was the most aggression I've seen from Eager all year. That poor lil HDcamera didn't stand a chance..

What a ****ing maroon.

Intentionally damages the camera because he doesn't want to be filmed in the box or something. Maybe don't take stupid slashing penalties.

Heres an idea. Throw a towel over the camera if you're too pissed and you don't want to be viewed. Seems to work..

Last edited by Replacement: 03-22-2012 at 12:36 AM.
Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 10:40 PM
nullterm

vCash: 800
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seachd View Post
You think this is a Tambellini issue?

No problem with the Oilers doing this. Maybe Eager will turn his brain on next time he decides to do something like that.
For what happened, Eager.

The wait was handled, Tambo. Directly (Tambo made the call) or indirectly (someone under him made the call).

There's been too many cases of miscommunication or none at all with players over his tenure. Time to find a new GM to address that. Add it to the "body of work" including two dead last finishes and one with an easily ignorable improvement.

nullterm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 10:41 PM
Njoy Oilers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valic View Post
Jesus Christ Oilers. Tell Ben not to do it again we got it covered once. This is the type of stuff you can do to go above and beyond the salary cap with your billions Katz.
Has zero to do with the money. It was senseless. You would be doling out at Beer league for the same thing, and probably banned from the rink. Accountability.

Some Anti managment posters will take advantage of this assanign conduct.

Njoy Oilers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 10:44 PM
Alex87

Quote:
Have you followed the Oilers the last few years? Quinn had no idea where he stood after his first year as coach and was left in limbo, we obviously have heard Souray complain about the Oilers not keeping in touch with him during his injuries, and then the whole Smythgate saga last summer.

We get bits and pieces about Quinn and Souray through the media, but again, we have no indication of what actually happened behind closed doors. I find it strange that when the Oilers take the high road and choose not to air their dirty laundry publicly, they get labeled as poor communicators, and the word of disgruntled employees is taken without question. I can't think of any other organization where the rantings of disgruntled employees getting turfed would be treated as gospel.

Alex87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 10:47 PM
Seachd

Quote:
Originally Posted by nullterm View Post
The wait was handled, Tambo. Directly (Tambo made the call) or indirectly (someone under him made the call).
What makes you say that?

Old
03-21-2012, 10:47 PM
Njoy Oilers

Quote:

That is hogwash! You o ly have to watch the video. Spoiled ****in brat gets call. Spoiled ****in brat then takes out said camera. Unions are legal mafia organizations. Hockey is no more special.

Njoy Oilers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 10:51 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:

Why should the due dilligence fall on the Oilers to find out what the camera really costs?

Is Tambo managing Led Zeppelin on a wild west tour or a professional hockey club? If Eager has concerns about the cost it seems as if he could look into it.

Eager broke the camera, should be expecting something for his actions, and should fully expect that him intentionally damaging property would be reported to the facility and that he would end up paying something. Its even evident in the video that the timekeeper motions the official over and indicates Eager has broken the camera. Obviously at that point some ramification is going to occur. If I'm Eager I probably expect that being that its being reported to different channels its not going away.

The battle here is between the NHLPA feeling that players doing **** like this have a right of proper invoicing and consultation vs member teams feeling that they have certain autonomy in these matters. The Nucks "informed" the Oilers the camera cost 13K. Theres no word on whether that involved an official invoice wherein price was substantiated. I doubt that occurred. The people arguing that the Oilers should've properly invoiced Eager should point exactly how they know that the Oilers recieved such invoice to forward to Ben.

Last edited by Replacement: 03-21-2012 at 11:02 PM.
Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 11:03 PM
Tarus
Fire Mact

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilborn View Post
I have to weigh in on this one. First off you break it you buy it...accountability is something that is really being lost on these new generations. Second, Why is it the responsibility of the Oilers organization to go to Eager and say look you broke this you need to pay for it, IMO he should have manned up and proactively offered to pay knowing full well it was his actions that caused the damage. In the end I am sure there are better ways this should have been handled like Vancouver going to the NHL and then the NHL could have dealt directly with Eager to resolve the situation but anyway you slice it the Oilers should have no culpability in this situation.
Has nothing to do with accountability or the camera getting paid for, even the NHLPA isn't impressed with Eager's behavior. The NHLPA flat out isn't going to stand around while the Oilers dock players pay. There are specific rules and methods to deal with those things within the CBA, and a union is going to protect the wages of it's members.

Furthermore, Eager clearly isn't happy with the way it was handled as the NHLPA is filing this on his behalf. That's a player the Oilers commited to for 3 years and 3 million dollars... in a league base around competitive recruitment where reputations are extremely important.

The Oilers only hurt themselves by not handling a total non-issue better.

Old
03-21-2012, 11:07 PM
Husker Du

Quote:

I agree that this should have been dealt with in private so the public never hears about it. Bolded is a bit harsh, no?

Husker Du is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 11:09 PM
Seachd

Quote:
There are specific rules and methods to deal with those things within the CBA, and a union is going to protect the wages of it's members.
Can you point those out? I'd like to read them and see how they apply to this situation.

Old
03-21-2012, 11:12 PM
cpnfantstk

Quote:

I agree... look at the list here:

1) Souray situation
2) Pat Quinn
3) Glenncross not even talked to
4) Sykora not even talked to
5) Ryan Smyth
6) Ben Eager

How many situations do we need to be convinced that Lowe and Tambo (on a couple these) are the problem? I don't care if I am paid 5 million a year, give me respect and that you give a damn . These guys need to go... Snobby *****

cpnfantstk is offline   Reply With Quote