HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Crowd noise at renovated Garden?

Old
03-21-2012, 09:54 PM
SwedeAmerican

vCash: 500
Crowd noise at renovated Garden?

Living here in Arizona all season I unfortunately haven't been able to make it back to NY to see the Rangers. How has the crowd noise been this season in the renovated MSG? On tv it actually sounds louder (especially when its on NBC Sports like tonight). They mentioned tonight that they're going to raise the ceiling a little...do you think that would negatively impact the noise level?

SwedeAmerican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 09:55 PM
qwertyaas
LGR@

I think MSG lowers the crowd noise on their broadcasts. That's why it always seems much louder on NBC.

qwertyaas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 10:17 PM
petejudge

msg isn't exactly a loud arena..not because of the building itself but most fans don't get loud for just anything.

petejudge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 10:21 PM
Rust Heisenberg

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by petejudge View Post
msg isn't exactly a loud arena..not because of the building itself but most fans don't get loud for just anything.
Until the playoffs....

Rust Heisenberg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 10:29 PM
charlie460
Stone Age Hockey

MSG's production is top notch.... by far better than NBC, not even close, as far as angles, picture quality, etc, but I wish they'd take notes from NBC's sound production. I love the crowd noise.

charlie460 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 10:44 PM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by petejudge View Post
Yeah, which kind of stinks, but the pops in MSG are always crazy. Doesn't matter if it's Rangers or Knicks, when the Garden is loud, it's absolute insanity.

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 10:50 PM
savebyrichter35

Slightly OT but I think some people have some unrealistic expectations in terms of atmosphere. Is the crowd what it used to be? No, it's obviously become more of a corporate crowd. It's just not gonna be what it used to be, and it's not gonna be a playoff atmosphere for every regular season home game. After traveling to several other arenas, which are also built to enhance the sound a bit, I always leave saying "I'll never criticize the atmosphere at MSG again." Even when it's quiet (by MSG standards, still louder than most other arenas) there's still a hockey atmosphere. You still hear people yelling about a player going offside, or to avoid such and such player from the opposing team, and X was a penalty because of Y, etc. You hear knowledgeable hockey conversations. When I go to many other arenas there's none of that. I seriously think we just take the Garden crowd for granted. It may not be what it used to be but it's still one of the best hockey crowds in the league IMO.

Last edited by savebyrichter35: 03-21-2012 at 11:15 PM.
savebyrichter35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 11:03 PM
NYRFAN218
Mac Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by savebyrichter35 View Post
Slightly OT but I think some people have some unrealistic expectations in terms of atmosphere. Is the crowd what it used to be? No, it's obviously become more of a corporate crowd. It's just not gonna be what it used to be, and it's not gonna be a playoff atmosphere for every regular season home game. After traveling to several other arena's, which are also built to enhance the sound a bit, I always leave saying "I'll never criticize the atmosphere at MSG again." Even when it's quiet (by MSG standards, still louder than most other arena's) there's still a hockey atmosphere. You still hear people yelling about a player going offside, or to avoid such and such player from the opposing team, and X was a penalty because of Y, etc. You hear knowledgeable hockey conversations. When I go to many other arena's there's none of that. I seriously think we just take the Garden crowd for granted. It may not be what it used to be but it's still one of the best hockey crowds in the league IMO.
Completely agreed. I went up to Boston back in January for the game where Gabby scored in OT and I was shocked at how dead the arena was. No one a word the entire game. The only time any one cheered was either when the scoreboard told em too (which seemed like every stoppage, over kill much?) or when the Bruins scored. Hell, it was a pretty big game too and there wasn't a Lets Go Bruins chant until the 3rd period. I was stunned at how quiet the crowd was.

MSG can and will be dead at points, especially early on in the season. Sometimes it's tough to get up for those games mid week against Edmonton in November atmosphere wise but when the games get big, that place gets loud. Game 4 last year against the Caps was the loudest I've ever heard that building and the "can you hear us chant" almost blew the roof off the place. Video doesn't do it justice how loud that chant really was.

03-21-2012, 11:25 PM
NYRKING30

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRFAN218 View Post
MSG can and will be dead at points, especially early on in the season. Sometimes it's tough to get up for those games mid week against Edmonton in November atmosphere wise but when the games get big, that place gets loud. Game 4 last year against the Caps was the loudest I've ever heard that building and the "can you hear us chant" almost blew the roof off the place. Video doesn't do it justice how loud that chant really was.
this 100 percent. i was at game 4 as well in section 404, by far the loudest thing i have heard. your right the videos on youtube all have choppy sound or only show a 1 min clip. i remember at the game the chant lasted a good 3 or 4 mins. even though we lost in god awful fashion, the game had it all. can't wait for the playoffs this year.

NYRKING30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2012, 12:30 AM
RangerBlue62
Smoothies! Who's in?

Loved the "can you hear us" chant. Wish I was there.

Also liked the "we don't want you" chant towards Nash this season.

It really shows the knowledge and passion of the average Garden fan to get those kinds of chants started.

You'd never hear that kind of stuff at Devils games.

RangerBlue62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2012, 12:48 AM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

The NBC coverage seems to pick up more ice level audio/acoustics as you can always hear the players yelling at each other using profanities. Noticed it again tonight.... MSG needs to do the same during their broadcasts...

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2012, 01:01 AM
IBleedNYRBlue

Crowd always gets louder towards the end of the season, but MSG does lower the volume on it's broadcast. Easily picked up by the last two games on NBC. The Garden was ****ing electric.

IBleedNYRBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2012, 01:07 AM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

I went to the Garden last year at the Bruins game in April and the Garden was ****ing crazy.

I was there against Philly and the Isles this year and it was really good too.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2012, 01:35 AM
Fanned On It

Yeah I was there at the Columbus game for the "WE DON'T WANT YOU!" chant against Nash, and it was great! I started cracking up and then joined in as loud as I could. Hopefully I won't be eating those words =X.

Fanned On It is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2012, 07:34 AM
Ranger Angst

What I've noticed the last few games - is when the opponent scores it's loud esp. against the Devils. Seemed 30% of the crowd were Devil fans.

Ranger Angst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2012, 08:05 AM
irishlaxburger2

There wasn't much change to the actual interior structure in phase 1 of the renovation, so I don't think there's a noticeable difference this year. Next year though, they're making the upper levels a lot more upright which *should* help keep the noise level higher. Acoustics are funny though. Impossible to tell how they'll be in a structure until it's completed. I hope it's better though, at least enough to make up for the louder fans that are getting pushed out by the higher prices.

irishlaxburger2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2012, 08:06 AM
patnyrnyg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger Angst View Post
What I've noticed the last few games - is when the opponent scores it's loud esp. against the Devils. Seemed 30% of the crowd were Devil fans.
Been like that for a while. The past 7-8 seasons, there have been A LOT of visiting fans and not just Devils or Isles fans taking the train. Flyers, Pens, Wings, Caps, Leafs, Habs.

patnyrnyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2012, 08:21 AM
NYRFAN218
Mac Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by patnyrnyg View Post
Been like that for a while. The past 7-8 seasons, there have been A LOT of visiting fans and not just Devils or Isles fans taking the train. Flyers, Pens, Wings, Caps, Leafs, Habs.
Been a lot more this year though compared to the past couple of seasons and it's always the same area, the lower bowl where the other team shoots twice.

NYRFAN218 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2012, 09:15 AM
Giacomin

Quote:
Been a lot more this year though compared to the past couple of seasons and it's always the same area, the lower bowl where the other team shoots twice.
In the 300,s I have seen a lot of visiting fans this year more than in the past

Giacomin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2012, 09:38 AM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger Angst View Post
Unfortunately, in today's world of online ticket sales and online ticket brokers, there will never be a time when opposing fans don't "invade" an arena unless the trip is just too far. MSG can be sold out and opposing fans will still find tickets on stubhub and the like. It's just how it is these days.

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2012, 09:53 AM
NYRFAN218
Mac Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubiSnacks17 View Post
Unfortunately, in today's world of online ticket sales and online ticket brokers, there will never be a time when opposing fans don't "invade" an arena unless the trip is just too far. MSG can be sold out and opposing fans will still find tickets on stubhub and the like. It's just how it is these days.
Visiting fans are also willing to pay more for a road game than a Rangers fan would since they can catch them 40 other times that year.

NYRFAN218 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2012, 10:22 AM
1994sec311

Quote:
Completely agreed. I went up to Boston back in January for the game where Gabby scored in OT and I was shocked at how dead the arena was. No one a word the entire game. The only time any one cheered was either when the scoreboard told em too (which seemed like every stoppage, over kill much?) or when the Bruins scored. Hell, it was a pretty big game too and there wasn't a Lets Go Bruins chant until the 3rd period. I was stunned at how quiet the crowd was.

completely agree--went to school in boston for a few years, and was shocked by how catatonic TD Banknorth was--for a great sports city and one where hockey is much more part of the culture than NY, I expected much much more.

caught Bruins/Panthers the other night at the BankAtlantic center, and I have never seen a place that's more dead. I would hate to be a player there (though the sunshine and no income tax are nice I guess).

Ive been to a fair amount of arenas now (Saddledome, Rexall/Northlands, Molson Centre,the Pru, AirCanada, BankAtlantic) and I'm proud to say that only Toronto may have a better hockey atmosphere. Assumed that all the Canadian cities would be better than MSG, but I was wrong. Calgary was a pretty cool atsmosphere just because of how Alberta/country it felt (natural gas jets coming out of scoreboard, country music piped in), but it was a quiet place. Theo Fleury said that same in his book.

In "Searching for Bobby Orr", Brunt makes teh point that Boston's crowd was better than Toronto's or Montreal's, because in the canadian cities you needed to have wealth or connectins to get into games. In America b/c there was less demand, it was more of a working man's crowd.

Pretty awesome how knowledgeable NY fans are considering that very few played hockey growing up. And NY fans are definitely the wittiest and most outspoken I've seen--some of the one liners the fans come up with are amazing.

1994sec311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2012, 10:40 AM
MSG the place to be*

I beg anyone who thinks MSG is loud to go to a good college sports atmosphere. There is nothing better than going on an 8-0 run, the opposing team calling a timeout, and then a student section getting into a frenzy to the sound of "we found love in a hopeless place".

MSG the place to be* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2012, 11:00 AM
BlueShirts88
Section 208 Row 15

Send a message via AIM to BlueShirts88
Quote:
Originally Posted by patnyrnyg View Post
It's the same way for every arena nowadays. Ranger fans appear in every other building too.

03-22-2012, 11:02 AM
Stugots
Kolo, Kolo Kolo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgaze View Post
The NBC coverage seems to pick up more ice level audio/acoustics as you can always hear the players yelling at each other using profanities. Noticed it again tonight.... MSG needs to do the same during their broadcasts...
Think it has to do with where the cameras are located sometimes. Last night Knicks game on MSG- you can hear Amar'e yelling "Oh **** oh ****!" every time he was going up for a rebound Lol. And that game was in Philly.

Stugots is offline   Reply With Quote