HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Minnesota Wild
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

To Gui, or not to Gui? UPD: Unlikely to re-sign

View Poll Results: Should the Wild re-sign Guillaume Latendresse?
Yes, they should qualify him as an RFA (~$2.5M) 63 63.00%
Yes, but only if they can negotiate him down to a lower salary as a UFA 28 28.00%
No, they should let him walk 9 9.00%
Voters: 100. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
03-22-2012, 05:52 PM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

vCash: 50
shootouts really aren't an indicator of overall skill level as a player (or effectiveness meter). Otherwise Nummi would still be here probably.

Old
03-22-2012, 05:53 PM
tomgilbertfan
CRAAAWWWFFFOOORD

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by rynryn View Post
shootouts really aren't an indicator of overall skill level as a player (or effectiveness meter). Otherwise Nummi would still be here probably.
Oh man I miss his SO move. It was so slick. He wasn't great otherwise but man was that thing pretty.

Old
03-22-2012, 06:26 PM
TaLoN
All Hail the FBJ!

Quote:
Odds are pretty good Latendresse will miss significant time due to injury. Great, say he's a PPG player next year for 20 games.

now say Christensen is a .5PPG player next year for 80 games.

$2.5 for 20 points or ~$1.25 for 40 points.

It's a gamble. i'm just throwing those numbers out there for effect; Lats has proven more effective on the ice than Christensen.
IMO, this is the EXACT situation the Wild are facing. I for one am not thrilled about having to try to rely on Lats' health any longer.

Old
03-22-2012, 06:26 PM
Casper
30 goal grinder

don't really think that this team is in a position to give on guys like Lats yet. If this was year or two down the road and the kids were starting to show continued growth in the nhl than maybe i would hesitate to qualify him. But most of the kids need some time in the A so he really isn't taking up anyone else's spot.

As for the EC talk, if signs a 'prove it' deal sure sign him. However four good games after 15 mediocre ones doesn't make me want to take a chance on him over Lats.

Old
03-22-2012, 07:21 PM
OpRedDawn*

vCash: 127
That 2.5 isn't going to stop us from signing anyone. If GMCF is serious about making a push for the playoffs next year, Lats will be on the team.

Old
03-22-2012, 08:28 PM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpRedDawn View Post
That 2.5 isn't going to stop us from signing anyone. If GMCF is serious about making a push for the playoffs next year, Lats will be on the team.
that's way too dramatic.
Also, $2.5 million could keep us from acquiring two quality FAs (or taking on the salaries through trade). Yes, it could. Or even the difference between Lats and Christensen's salaries if it came to that.

Old
03-22-2012, 08:52 PM
Dr Jan Itor

Why couldn't we just assemble our roster assuming he'll be out, and then if he's fine and ready to go, it's just a bonus for us?

I guess I'm not in the Suter/Parise dreamworld, so I'm not sure how we are going to use up our cap space anyways. Low risk/high reward is better than no risk/no reward, but that's just me.

Old
03-22-2012, 09:00 PM
OpRedDawn*

Spurg has a history now of getting hurt along the boards. Too risky to keep him. Trade him for a 4th and be done right?

Old
03-22-2012, 09:25 PM
TaLoN
All Hail the FBJ!

Quote:
Spurg has a history now of getting hurt along the boards. Too risky to keep him. Trade him for a 4th and be done right?
Spurgeon has played more games this year alone than Lats has played in the past 2 combined!

Hell... Spurgeon didn't even start last season with the Wild, yet he played more games LAST SEASON alone than Lats has in the past 2 combined....

It's funny how Gaborik would miss 15-20 games in a year, yet everyone seemed to want to dump him because he's injury prone... Lats plays 10 or so games/yr the past two years and everyone wants to keep him. Gotta love double standards.

Old
03-22-2012, 09:37 PM
Dr Jan Itor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaLoN View Post
Spurgeon has played more games this year alone than Lats has played in the past 2 combined!

Hell... Spurgeon didn't even start last season with the Wild, yet he played more games LAST SEASON alone than Lats has in the past 2 combined....

It's funny how Gaborik would miss 15-20 games in a year, yet everyone seemed to want to dump him because he's injury prone... Lats plays 10 or so games/yr the past two years and everyone wants to keep him. Gotta love double standards.
Gaborik was also our franchise player, a guy we spent the 3rd overall pick on, and was getting paid more than $2.5 million (and he held out to get it).

Not the same.

And I don't really remember anybody wanting to dump him, we wanted him to ****ing play.

Old
03-22-2012, 09:39 PM
tomgilbertfan
CRAAAWWWFFFOOORD

Gabby also got injured in the weirdest ways.

Playing soccer to warm up before a game - boom out for the season.

Old
03-22-2012, 10:13 PM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Quote:
Odds are pretty good Latendresse will miss significant time due to injury. Great, say he's a PPG player next year for 20 games.

now say Christensen is a .5PPG player next year for 80 games.

$2.5 for 20 points or ~$1.25 for 40 points.

It's a gamble. i'm just throwing those numbers out there for effect; Lats has proven more effective on the ice than Christensen.
There is absolutely no evidence to support this claim, and no reason to state it except to falsify information for the purpose of "proving" a point.

Old
03-22-2012, 10:15 PM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Quote:
that's way too dramatic.
Also, $2.5 million could keep us from acquiring two quality FAs (or taking on the salaries through trade). Yes, it could. Or even the difference between Lats and Christensen's salaries if it came to that.
Who's being dramatic here?

The Wild have the cap room next season to sign Lats @ 2.5, as well as sign Suter and Parise @ 7.5 each, and still can bring in a 13th forward and 7th d-man at $1MM.

Old
03-22-2012, 10:55 PM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

Quote:
Originally Posted by squidz View Post

The Wild have the cap room next season to sign Lats @ 2.5, as well as sign Suter and Parise @ 7.5 each, and still can bring in a 13th forward and 7th d-man at $1MM.
"if GMCF is serious about..."
if GMCF doesn't follow the poster's advice he isn't interested in success? it's dramatic.
I don't think we'll get both. I don't know that either will come as cheaply as $7.5 unless it's a long contract and then I'd be concerned we're crippling ourselves at the tail end when we'd have to start handing big money to our (hopefully) stud prospects who would be then entering their early prime years (yes, i know we'll have shed other contracts by then). If we have the room and the situation warrants though we might trade for an expensive player or two to go along with one huge FA contract. Say a $6.5m-$7m forward and $3m defenseman or some other combo.

Old
03-22-2012, 11:05 PM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

Quote:
There is absolutely no evidence to support this claim, and no reason to state it except to falsify information for the purpose of "proving" a point.
he's missed more time than he's played for us. I've crapped out more often than I've rolled money i'm going to stop rolling the dice. you're being combative for the sake of it. Latendresse's ability to stay in game shape (injuries or conditioning) is in question. Of course all i have to go on is complaints from the Habs organization and insinuations from ours. "some players" coming to camp unfit and getting injured. hmmm... Oh and his injury history. All totally make believe.

Old
03-22-2012, 11:05 PM
Fel 96
JFC

vCash: 2037
Send a message via MSN to Fel 96
The poll results proves me there's many Wild fans here.

Awesome!

Old
03-22-2012, 11:11 PM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

like i said--wouldn't be upset if we re-signed him. His last contract was (stated as, even, i believe) a "show us you can do it" contract. Just saying. How many of those do you get?

i have no doubt someone will pick him up next year even if it isn't us.

Old
03-22-2012, 11:56 PM
OpRedDawn*

Quote:
"if GMCF is serious about..."
if GMCF doesn't follow the poster's advice he isn't interested in success? it's dramatic.
I don't think we'll get both. I don't know that either will come as cheaply as $7.5 unless it's a long contract and then I'd be concerned we're crippling ourselves at the tail end when we'd have to start handing big money to our (hopefully) stud prospects who would be then entering their early prime years (yes, i know we'll have shed other contracts by then). If we have the room and the situation warrants though we might trade for an expensive player or two to go along with one huge FA contract. Say a $6.5m-$7m forward and $3m defenseman or some other combo.
risk: 2.5 mil that most likely won't get spent anyway

reward: one of the best power forwards in the game, and our best goal scorer. Gee.

Old
03-23-2012, 12:06 AM
Minnesota
L'Étoile du Nord

vCash: 404
Quote:

reward: one of the best power forwards in the game, and our best goal scorer. Gee.
Don't you think you're overrating him just a bit?

Old
03-23-2012, 12:08 AM
llamapalooza
Hockey State Expat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnesota View Post
Don't you think you're overrating him just a bit?
He scored 25 goals, under Todd Richards. Might as well be ****ing Gretzky.

Old
03-23-2012, 12:17 AM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

Quote:

one of the best powerforwards in the game. out of how many? nevermind, that'll just get bogged down in a debate over what constitutes a powerforward. It's all a gamble. No, i can't prove he'll be injured early. Neither can you prove he'll come out of the offseason in shape or even if he is, play successfully in Yeo's system.

Old
03-23-2012, 12:35 AM
TaLoN
All Hail the FBJ!

Quote:
In 6 seasons in the NHL, Lats has spent nearly half or more of a season on the shelf 3 times. 3 times he has played 70+ games in a season.

I'd say 50/50 odds are pretty good when it comes to expecting him to be on the shelf for a rather long period of time.

If you take only the last 4 years, the chance actually goes up to 75% that he'll be injured most of the time. That's pretty scary if you ask me... only 1 healthy season out of the last 4? YIKES!

Old
03-23-2012, 06:31 AM
roon

Quote:

With the amount of teams that will be after Suter/Parise you should probably up your 7.5 figure a bit.

Old
03-23-2012, 06:32 AM
roon

Quote:

You gotta be kidding me right now.

And I am the one trolling?!

Old
03-23-2012, 07:19 AM
llamapalooza
Hockey State Expat

Quote:
Originally Posted by roon View Post
[/B]

You gotta be kidding me right now.

And I am the one trolling?!
I don't know about the "one of the best power forwards" thing, but he most certainly is our best goal scorer; no trolling there.

Closed Thread