HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Hockey Fights
Hockey Fights Discuss and rate hockey fights and fighters of today and from the past. Videos welcome!

How to get Fighting Out - Problem Solved.

Old
03-22-2012, 07:41 AM
Landeskog

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandysan View Post
Nhl rule 56, inception 1922. This is the rule for a major for fighting. In the 20s and 30s when players fought they often would not drop the cloves but go all out stick fights, is this what you want to return to? Really ? Wont your pacifist freinds be shocked?

The 70s certainly had their fair share of scraps, but the 50s and sixties were no picnic. If fighting keeps the stick fights down, i am good with that.

And minor hockey means kids playing for fun, the way most of us came to learn to lovebthe game, not major junior or the echl.
all i'll say to this is what's more enjoyable?

Olympic, world championships, World Jrs or NHL regular season?
NHL playoffs or regular season?
the best hockey played is normally Olympic and NHL Playoffs. NHL Playoffs as we all know has limited fighting because those "goons" are not playing and the hockey is better. So why not just remove the goon role in hockey and we'd be fine.

Landeskog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2012, 07:43 AM
Landeskog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Therick67 View Post
How many other sports have guys flying around on an eight of an inch of steel hitting each other with stick in their hands?

I have no problem with goons being taken out of hockey, but IMO fighting should stay.

I guess I just dont agree that fighting in hockey is a problem.
it'ss not fighting i have the problem with it's the goonss who add nothing to the game.

Old
03-22-2012, 07:45 AM
Therick67

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landeskog View Post

the best hockey played is normally Olympic and NHL Playoffs. NHL Playoffs as we all know has limited fighting because those "goons" are not playing and the hockey is better. So why not just remove the goon role in hockey and we'd be fine.
because you don't get the same style of play in a long season you do in a 2 week tournament.

If you want to get rid of goons I'm fine with it, but I'm not fine with eliminating fighting.

Therick67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2012, 07:45 AM
Alchemy
Philadelphia Flyers

Quote:
it'ss not fighting i have the problem with it's the goonss who add nothing to the game.
They are being eliminated from the game slowly. You will start seeing a wave in the future of "goons" who actually have to be able to play the game to stay up in an NHL lineup. Will you complain too?

Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2012, 07:46 AM
Yeti of the Flow

Quote:

Olympic hockey sucks. So, no.

Fighting in the NHL is part of what keeps it as clean as it is. Without fights there would be much more dirty play; e.g. spears, high sticks, bad hits, etc.

Yeti of the Flow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Therick67

Quote:
I'm fine with that, but you appear to want to change the penalty for fighting and I don't agree with that.

Therick67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
sandysan

Quote:
Except do what the coach sends them out to do, oh the horror !

sandysan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2012, 07:47 AM
Just Win
Free Larsson

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklanders View Post
People on this board constantly complain about the officiating. They complain about all the clutching and grabbing going on. They complain that scoring is down and offense is down and star players cannot show their skills.
But goons who do little but fight and slow the game down are ok?
Fighting in general slows the game down and equates to lower scoring.
Clean hits and checks are great to watch and part of the game. As much as I dislike fighting I don't want to eliminate it completely. But if fighting was banned I wouldn't blink an eye.
Posting your opinion as a fact doesn't make it true. Show me any evidence for correlation between fighting and lower scoring. Goalies looking like the ****ing Michelin man is the main reason for low scoring. Players wearing a damn armor so they don't have a price to pay when they block shots is another. But according to you fighting is obviously the reason why there are not enough goals.

Just Win is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2012, 07:49 AM
Surstromming

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Win View Post
The same people that are crying over fighting right now, will then cry for less hitting. And soon we can enjoy figure skating with sticks and a puck. I know how unwatchable certain European leagues have become because they tried to make the game more family friendly and restricted physicality more and more.
I'm not a huge fan of fighting (I don't mind it but it doesn't make me cheer for my team more) but the lack of hitting or the non-stop calling of normal hits is so annoying.

Surstromming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2012, 07:51 AM
Landeskog

if they can stick in the NHL line-up in regular and playoffs and actually bring more than a par of fists, i'm fine with that. They also can't be stage fighting either or fighting for sake fighting. Other wise those other pieces this player can offer the team will be pointless.

Old
03-22-2012, 07:52 AM
Sonny Lamateena

Quote:
The only way that works is a full cage, even then I ve seen guys have a full cage ripped off in a fight.

I am not sure I understand your point, you want to stop fighting by implementing something that is even harder to enforce ? Lots of times players helmets stay on, most of the time the opponent tries to take it off but telling players they can wail away but cant pull off their opponents helmet or must stop throwing if the helmets gets knocked off seems like an unreasonable expectation to me.
It'll be half shields that they mandate.

I don't want to stop fighting, I think it is going to be stopped and this is how it will be done.

It's easy to enforce, you have 4 officials on the ice plus supplementary discipline. You lose your helmet in a fight or at any time you must immediately go to your bench. You remove another players helmet or strike an opponent without a helmet, penalty, misconduct, suspension... whatever. It won't take long and the culture will change and fighting will be out of the game.

The officials currently jump in as soon as a player gets a jersey over their head, they can certainly do the same when a helmet is lost. As soon as the rule is in place and the penalties set the players will follow.

I understand the passion of the people who love fighting but the clock is ticking, we should enjoy it while we can.

Sonny Lamateena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
elias026

Fighting has been in the NHL almost as long as the NHL has been running, why would we take something out that grew up with the league ?

elias026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
sandysan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Therick67 View Post
if you want to use 1920 as the date, thats 92 years. The 50's abd 60's had plenty of fighting.Goon where around in the 70's.

If you think fighting is a problem now, you would have hated the 70's. The game is cleaner now than it's ever been.
And what about sprage cleghorn , a man many consider to be the dirtiest player to EVER play the game, a man so evil that he beat his wife a crutch he was using while convalescing, and a guy who struck an ottawa player over the head with his stick.

When did he play? How about the 1920 's

Old
03-22-2012, 07:55 AM
JustGivingEr
How far we done fell

I absolutely hate it when people say "make room for the more skilled guys". There's a reason these so called skill guys aren't in the NHL. Teams need grinders, energy guys, tough guys to help their own skill guys and shut down the other teams skilled players.

There's a huge talent drop off between the best players in the world and the other "skilled guys". Thats why teams employ grinders to wear down the opponent and play a more defensive minded it game. It just happens that these sort of players like to fight, which only benefits their team.

If you had an entire roster of skill guys you're team would get dominated whenever you play one of the top teams (skill wise) in the league (Pitt for example) because your third and fourth line guys would just be a ****tier version of their top guys.

Every team in the league would rather have grinders fill their bottom lines than just second tier skill players and that won't change if fighting is abolished.

JustGivingEr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2012, 07:59 AM
Landeskog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeti of the Flow View Post
Olympic hockey sucks. So, no.

Fighting in the NHL is part of what keeps it as clean as it is. Without fights there would be much more dirty play; e.g. spears, high sticks, bad hits, etc.
Olympic hockey is some of the bet hockey in town.

well there are bad hits now, always going to have high sticks, spearing? I'll allow sparing as long as Dion Phaneuf can get speared countless time over. really to say fighting keeps this or that down is not true and if it keeping all that down is a problem you raise the punishment.

Old
03-22-2012, 08:00 AM
Landeskog

Quote:
Except do what the coach sends them out to do, oh the horror !
well that's part of the game and culture that needs to be fixed.

Old
03-22-2012, 08:01 AM
Landeskog

Quote:
Originally Posted by elias026 View Post
Fighting has been in the NHL almost as long as the NHL has been running, why would we take something out that grew up with the league ?
The league grew up with stick swinging so is that fine to?

Old
03-22-2012, 08:07 AM
Yeti of the Flow

Quote:
Olympic hockey is some of the bet hockey in town.

well there are bad hits now, always going to have high sticks, spearing? I'll allow sparing as long as Dion Phaneuf can get speared countless time over. really to say fighting keeps this or that down is not true and if it keeping all that down is a problem you raise the punishment.
Olympic hockey sucks. I don't care about watching a bunch of the game's stars skating around with each other. I'd rather see balanced teams. Olympic sports in general are stupid. Accident of birth determines far too much.

Fighting absolutely keeps certain players in check. Why give more penalty minutes, or other discipline when fighting does the job already, and is far more entertaining?

Old
03-22-2012, 08:09 AM
sandysan

Quote:
Lesser of two evils my friend, lesser of two evils.

If you could get rid of fighting and not have players seek retribution at the end of a stick, that would be peachy. But as thet say, if your aunt had balls she'd be your uncle.

Perpaps i have it all wrong, that the ani fighting crowd is not against fighting per se, they are just mad that fightings presence has largely prevented things like maki, boom boom and perezhogin.

Old
03-22-2012, 08:13 AM
pld459666

vCash: 873
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayor Bee View Post
Given the choice between retiring at 17 or learning to fight and continuing to play, what's a kid going to do? Go play in Europe

Given the choice between retiring at 20 or accepting a permanent role as "enforcer", what's a minor league player going to do? Go play in Europe

Given the choice between retiring at 26 or making millions of dollars to ignore the constant signs of brain trauma, what's an NHLer going to do? Go play in Europe
Playing in the NHL is a hard thing to do.

It's a prelivage, not a right.

If you can't get there on actual skill then you need to either choose another country/league to play in, choose another profession or you learn to duke it out.

Just don't come whining about the after effects when your playing days are over after you were just made a rich man by playing a role YOU CHOSE!

There's nothing wrong with fighting in the NHL staged or otherwise.

If it bothers people that much, stop watching.

It's a great thing about having so many channels to choose from, don't like what you are seeing, change the channel.

PROBLEM SOLVED.

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2012, 08:14 AM
sandysan

Quote:
Lesser of two evils my friend, lesser of two evils.

If you could get rid of fighting and not have players seek retribution at the end of a stick, that would be peachy. But as thet say, if your aunt had balls she'd be your uncle.

Perpaps i have it all wrong, that the ani fighting crowd is not against fighting per se, they are just mad that fightings presence has largely prevented things like maki, boom boom and perezhogin.

Old
03-22-2012, 08:24 AM
Landeskog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeti of the Flow View Post
Olympic hockey sucks. I don't care about watching a bunch of the game's stars skating around with each other. I'd rather see balanced teams. Olympic sports in general are stupid. Accident of birth determines far too much.

Fighting absolutely keeps certain players in check. Why give more penalty minutes, or other discipline when fighting does the job already, and is far more entertaining?
Teams in the NHL are not balanced so I'm not sure I see your point.

Old
03-22-2012, 08:27 AM
Yeti of the Flow

Quote:
Teams in the NHL are not balanced so I'm not sure I see your point.
The good teams are.

Old
03-22-2012, 08:30 AM
Brooklanders*

[QUOTE=Yeti

Fighting in the NHL is part of what keeps it as clean as it is. Without fights there would be much more dirty play; e.g. spears, high sticks, bad hits, etc.[/QUOTE]
Not if the league offered serious fines for those offenses like the NFL does.

Brooklanders* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2012, 08:35 AM
Brooklanders*

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustGivingEr View Post
I absolutely hate it when people say "make room for the more skilled guys". There's a reason these so called skill guys aren't in the NHL. Teams need grinders, energy guys, tough guys to help their own skill guys and shut down the other teams skilled players.

There's a huge talent drop off between the best players in the world and the other "skilled guys". Thats why teams employ grinders to wear down the opponent and play a more defensive minded it game. It just happens that these sort of players like to fight, which only benefits their team.

If you had an entire roster of skill guys you're team would get dominated whenever you play one of the top teams (skill wise) in the league (Pitt for example) because your third and fourth line guys would just be a ****tier version of their top guys.

Every team in the league would rather have grinders fill their bottom lines than just second tier skill players and that won't change if fighting is abolished.
What skilled does Trevor Gillies and other goons have?

Brooklanders* is offline   Reply With Quote