HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Hockey stick debate...

Closed Thread

Old
11-21-2004, 09:38 PM
ricknashfan_61

vCash: 500
Hockey stick debate...

wood or composite.and why,,,
also what type of stick do you use?

Old
11-21-2004, 09:43 PM
DaveyCrockett

Wood.I use a $27 Sherwood with a Crosby curve. I would buy a $100 composite as it would last me longer than 3-4 woodies but I don't wanna be the guy with the awesome equipment who cant play for his life.

Old
11-21-2004, 09:51 PM
Canadian Chris

I've had:

Synergy Grip, 110 flex, Shanahan curve. LOVED IT.
Mission M-1, 100flex, Gaborik Curve. LOVED IT.

Currently am using my Easton Grip Lite shaft, with a Carbon Shanahan blade in and love it.

Basically, I won't go back to a wood stick. In my last year of minor hockey, or 2nd to last year I suppose it was, I used wood sticks, and they kept breaking. I'd get a game, max. Then I switched over to to a composite shaft/blade combo and loved it. Absolutely loved it.

The blades are generally cheaper than a wooden stick costs, and I figured, when I've got my 1 piece and it snaps, usually the blade breaks, or it's down in the bottom of the shaft where the break occurs, then I can use it for a shaft/blade combo afterwards too. So it's basically 2 sticks.

I got 2 and half years out of my Synergy Grip and 10 months out of the Mission. This is the 2nd Grip Lite that I've had, and it's a great shaft as well.

Old
11-21-2004, 10:01 PM
Aaron Vickers
FC Hockey

Send a message via ICQ to Aaron Vickers Send a message via MSN to Aaron Vickers
I refuse to swtich off from my Graf 5500 with G3 curve. It is easily the best stick I've ever used, and has been quite durable too. I think I'm on game 20 with it or so, which isn't bad for a wooden stick.

I've talked to a Graf rep here in Calgary (played in the 3-on-3 tournament held at the Olympic Oval here over the course of the summer) and apparently they've got a G3 curve on a one piece, so I might have to check that out.

I tried playing one game with one of his Grafs, but aside from being lighter, it wasn't received well by me. Shot about the same, with less accuracy. I'm thinking it might have to do with the fact I wasn't used to the curve though.

11-21-2004, 11:09 PM
Toonces
The beer kitty

Both!

I have a Louisville Tri-core that I love. It feels like wood, and is as stiff as iron.

Wood blade of course.

Old
11-22-2004, 01:48 AM
IkeaMonkey*
HF Hall of Famer

I dont have any true preference. I'm not a pro, so im not picky. I use Bauer XX, Mission M-1 for composite. I also have Easton Cyclone and Typhoon shafts and a Vector 110 shaft all composite. The shafts give good flexibilities with blades being composite or wood, I prefer a wood blade.

Old
11-22-2004, 05:22 AM
I.am.ca

I had a wood stick and i heated and bent my own curve into the blade (almost flat but with a slight curve, it worked well for me).

Oh it was Sherwood.

Old
11-22-2004, 08:22 AM
Pavel

I just recently switched to a Louisville Response Plus composite (Nash curve) from an Easton Cyclone. I had two reasons to do it with great caution. First, like a previous poster mentioned, I didn't want to be this guy with a 150 buck stick and a 10 cent game. Second I didn't want to get used to that stick and have it break on me. We all saw how in the NHL during last year's playoffs all the one pieces were falling apart on everyone it seemed. After about two month of use I couldn't be any happier. This stick is super lite and I can feel a big time difference in my slapshot. I would definitely get another one (even if I had to save for it).

Old
11-22-2004, 09:15 AM
glimradnor

It depends where I am playing. When I am playing wing, I like my two-piece composite. It's lightness makes it easier for me to ATTEMPT to make fancy moves.
...but on defence I need something with a bit of weight. I use my trusty Sher-Wood PMPX 9950 (fiberglass) What a fantastic stick…I don't know how many guys I've roughed up in front of the net with one of those beautys...

Old
11-22-2004, 10:35 AM
Icer

I just switched from using wood Bauer 300s to the new Easton Octane shaft with a wood blade. The jury is still out. I've only played 1 game with the composite.

Old
11-22-2004, 10:36 PM
Poochie_D

i really like the easton fiber-lite stick with the sakic curve. easily the best stick ive ever used... altho if i had the cash maybe id get something more pricey

Old
11-23-2004, 12:05 AM
ShippinItDaily

Send a message via MSN to ShippinItDaily
Use a z-bubble (100 flex) with a Sakic curve. Though I dont like the new blue ones near as much as I liked the green ones I used to have. Probably going to try a CCM Vector 1 piece though as Sport Chek is supposedly going to be selling them for $85 this week and my juny b team is too cheap to get me anything otehr than wooden sher woods that i cant stand. I doubt I will ever go back to wooden sticks.

Old
11-23-2004, 10:02 AM
Mr Brownstone

Send a message via AIM to Mr Brownstone Send a message via MSN to Mr Brownstone Send a message via Yahoo to Mr Brownstone
Bauer Vapor 8 composite shaft with an Easton composite blade...then my backup's a heavy as hell Nike Ignite alumninum (4?) with an Easton ABS blade.

Old
11-23-2004, 01:22 PM
bleedgreen

ive used about everything, and im positive wood just has way better feel. i also ref a lot and can say from what ive seen that one-pieces are actually a negative in young players. i dont think they really learn to shoot well, and have trouble with tough passes. sometimes i think the pros have the same problem. i think the biggest problem is that people have trouble finding a good pattern for themselves and then stick with it. if you buy a 50 dollar blade, your using it whether your good with it or not - which obviously isnt great for your game. people dont know what lie they should use anymore, or know what kind of curve they should use - and its awful expensive to figure it out with composite. no doubt for some people composite stuff lasts longer and is worth it if you like what you get.
im 6'4" 215 so even though i love wood - ive often used a shaft and composite blade just because i had to. i play both ice and roller - andright now i use a sherwood 9950 (leclair) for ice. i use a innovative novious shaft for roller (sweet shaft) with a modano focus flex. i might try a hybrid easton modano stick for roller - ilke the feel a lot better, but obviously it will only last me a couple of games. i think wood wears down quicker in roller than ice, weird huh?

Old
11-23-2004, 05:06 PM
two out of three*

Send a message via ICQ to two out of three* Send a message via AIM to two out of three*
I liked wood sticks better than composite, until I switched to a Synergy, then I had a total swing. Now I use composite, and have a XN10. However, I still do like the old CCM Vectors. (I believe Riku Hahl used them at one point?)

Old
11-23-2004, 06:25 PM
Bruins4Ever

Send a message via MSN to Bruins4Ever
I have three one piece graphite Harrow sticks. They are regular $160, but I snagged all of mine for $30 a piece. I have two 75 flex, and one 95 flex. You probably haven't heard of them.

Go to www.harrowsports.com

Change country to Canada.

Go to Men's Hockey on the main page, and click on graphite sticks.

Go to the V.3 Senior One-Piece, and there's my stick, or just click on this link.

http://www.harrowsports.ca/Zing.asp?...Type=34&Cat=29

Old
11-23-2004, 08:02 PM
bleedgreen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruins4Ever
I have three one piece graphite Harrow sticks. They are regular $160, but I snagged all of mine for $30 a piece. I have two 75 flex, and one 95 flex. You probably haven't heard of them.

Go to www.harrowsports.com

Change country to Canada.

Go to Men's Hockey on the main page, and click on graphite sticks.

Go to the V.3 Senior One-Piece, and there's my stick, or just click on this link.

http://www.harrowsports.ca/Zing.asp?...Type=34&Cat=29
actually, they are based here in colorado and everyone around here has them - especially roller players. i have met the owner a couple of times from working at rinks. he'll make your pattern in a wood blade for you. they bought the christian factory - anything you see thats new from christian is actually harrow.

Old
11-23-2004, 10:06 PM
maximil

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedgreen
i also ref a lot and can say from what ive seen that one-pieces are actually a negative in young players. i dont think they really learn to shoot well, and have trouble with tough passes.
I think there is a lot of truth to that. Shooting, passing, and stickhandling are fundemental skills and it is my feeling that they should be learned without cutting corners.

I really like the Easton Synergy (100 flex) Modano pattern. I just love the way the puck effortlessly rockets off your stick even if your shot mechanics arn't perfect. I like my stick a little bit on the long side (i'm pretty short) so I have extended reach and can more elusively cover passing lanes.

If my Synergy wasn't a present I probably wouldn't be using one. I could probably get half a dozen really nice wood sticks for the price of my Synergy. (I like the Sher-wood LeClair pattern.) But so far it has been pretty durable. It has lasted for several months.

Old
11-24-2004, 03:20 AM
Canadian Chris

totally agree with the 1-piece sticks being a negative thing for young players, or just players that don't generally know how to shoot the puck properly.

I work at sportchek, and am on comission, but I've told parents who think it'll help their kids become amazingly wonderful players, that unless they can already shoot properly..and unless they can actually use the flex in their stick to their advantage...then there is very little that a shaft and blade or wooden stick won't do for you that a 1 piece will...I even tell them on comission PRIOR to giving them that speil too...I tell them of my hockey experience etc...what I use, and have used...and then basically tell them it's their decision, but I'd advice against it until they can shoot properly!

Old
11-24-2004, 07:24 AM

Send a message via MSN to 2112
I have a TPS Red Lite shaft and I love it as well. I've had it for a year now, and I'm still using it. The name says it all, it's so light compared to most other shafts and it's great.

Im using a Easton Lidstrom curve (those kind of curves are the best IMO) and I've had no real problems with it.

Old
11-24-2004, 11:05 AM
Slats432

I am still using a Sherwood PMP 5030. 25 years and counting. (Guy Lafleur and Ray Bourque. Tough to argue.) Although when I want a really light stick, I get a 7000 series.

Old
11-24-2004, 11:51 AM
HeHateMeFrisbee

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to HeHateMeFrisbee Send a message via Yahoo to HeHateMeFrisbee
From everything I have used up to this point the Innovative sticks seem to be the best suited for me. I have used Easton, Mission, TPS, Bauer, and several other kinds. To me none really match the durability and performance that the Innovative 1100 has.

As far as wood goes, hey, if you like it, use it, but I generally reccomend that all kids either use a wood stick, or a shaft with a wood blade. Composite blades for kids are a waste.

Old
11-24-2004, 12:06 PM
bleedgreen

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Bachul
I am still using a Sherwood PMP 5030. 25 years and counting. (Guy Lafleur and Ray Bourque. Tough to argue.) Although when I want a really light stick, I get a 7000 series.
i like the 7000 the best off the rack - but being a big guy i go through them too quick, so i use the 9950 leclair. its a little too stiff but it lasts longer. i agree with frisbee though - innovative makes a great shaft. my novius has been my favorite shaft when i use one - its alittle less grippy than an easton grip, with better feel and flex.

Old
11-24-2004, 01:45 PM
usmhuskies

Send a message via AIM to usmhuskies Send a message via Yahoo to usmhuskies
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian Chris
totally agree with the 1-piece sticks being a negative thing for young players, or just players that don't generally know how to shoot the puck properly.

I work at sportchek, and am on comission, but I've told parents who think it'll help their kids become amazingly wonderful players, that unless they can already shoot properly..and unless they can actually use the flex in their stick to their advantage...then there is very little that a shaft and blade or wooden stick won't do for you that a 1 piece will...I even tell them on comission PRIOR to giving them that speil too...I tell them of my hockey experience etc...what I use, and have used...and then basically tell them it's their decision, but I'd advice against it until they can shoot properly!
As someone who can hit the 90's with their shot I would have to agree: teach the kids how to shoot the right way and it dosen't matter what stick they are using: if you want a better snap or wrist shot go with the compsite though!!!

Old
11-24-2004, 03:18 PM
Bruins4Ever

Send a message via MSN to Bruins4Ever
Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedgreen
actually, they are based here in colorado and everyone around here has them - especially roller players. i have met the owner a couple of times from working at rinks. he'll make your pattern in a wood blade for you. they bought the christian factory - anything you see thats new from christian is actually harrow.
That's cool, I had no idea. Do you personally like them? I think it's the best total of $90 I've ever spent, they're really nice sticks.

Closed Thread