HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Best way to get equipment in Canada?

Old
03-26-2012, 04:01 PM
TrueBlue86

vCash: 500
Best way to get equipment in Canada?

what websites offer the best prices and ship to canada?

i noticed that many items on hockey monkey and ice wearhouse won't ship to canada

also when i go to sport chek's website or any other retailer here the prices are wayyy higher

are there any wearhouse type webistes that ship to canada?

TrueBlue86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2012, 04:08 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Gear manufacturers have different prices for Canada that are usually a lot higher despite the nearly equal currency value.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2012, 04:12 PM
AIREAYE

You live in London, hit up an LHS, a Source for Sports or something. After you factor in shipping and all that jazz, prices aren't that much different.

AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2012, 04:12 PM
theFinn

I got some pants and chest protector from HockeyTron.com, they had good prices and their shipping is fairly reasonable. As far as I can tell everything they have ships to Canada too.

You could always take the online prices into your local sporting goods store and see if they'll price match (at least somewhat..).

theFinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2012, 04:17 PM
AIREAYE

Quote:
Originally Posted by theFinn View Post
I got some pants and chest protector from HockeyTron.com, they had good prices and their shipping is fairly reasonable. As far as I can tell everything they have ships to Canada too.

You could always take the online prices into your local sporting goods store and see if they'll price match (at least somewhat..).
You could, but don't expect them to bake your skates for you or do anything for you really without a suitable fee.

AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2012, 08:21 PM
nightfighter

You live in london, so get a US shipping/mailing address here: http://www.usaddressinc.com/

and then order from the states to your hearts content. Even after you factor in driving down there, and paying duty on your way back, you will still often save more money. I've been doing this for other big ticket items and save hundreds of dollars on each item.

Even if you get Hockey Monkey or those other US stores to ship to canada, they will usually do it with UPS or Purolator which tack on huge border fees that can amount to more than 30% of your total invoice. This way, you get free shipping within the US.

nightfighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2012, 09:04 PM
Fixed to Ruin
Come wit it now!

vCash: 50
I buy lots from hockeymonkey. Its just bauer from my knowledge who won't ship to canada.

Fixed to Ruin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2012, 09:55 PM
TrueBlue86

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightfighter View Post

Even if you get Hockey Monkey or those other US stores to ship to canada, they will usually do it with UPS or Purolator which tack on huge border fees that can amount to more than 30% of your total invoice. This way, you get free shipping within the US.
is this included in the shipping cost they make you pay at the checkout, or are border fees something they can add on later before they bring the item to my door

Old
03-26-2012, 09:56 PM
TrueBlue86

Quote:
Originally Posted by devils4cup View Post
I buy lots from hockeymonkey. Its just bauer from my knowledge who won't ship to canada.
yea i am now noticing this too- too bad most of my costly items- ie. skates, helmet and gloves are bauer aha

Old
03-26-2012, 10:02 PM
nightfighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueBlue86 View Post
is this included in the shipping cost they make you pay at the checkout, or are border fees something they can add on later before they bring the item to my door
It's something totally separate, charged by the courier and the seller has no control over it unless they use USPS to ship (they never do for cross border sales).

Old
03-26-2012, 10:15 PM
TrueBlue86

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightfighter View Post
It's something totally separate, charged by the courier and the seller has no control over it unless they use USPS to ship (they never do for cross border sales).
damn that sucks..
so people are not aware of these charges until the package is at the door? do they ask you to pay it then or what?

Old
03-26-2012, 11:13 PM
nightfighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueBlue86 View Post
damn that sucks..
so people are not aware of these charges until the package is at the door? do they ask you to pay it then or what?
Yea you have to pay for it when you sign for it or if you pick it up from the depot. It's terribly dishonest business and that's why I never buy from somewhere that ships using UPS or Purolator.

Old
03-26-2012, 11:57 PM
theFinn

The site I mentioned before, hockeytron, actually does use USPS. That said you can still get customs charges depending on the cost of whatever you buy. With UPS you'll have to pay customs and brokerage fees (never use ups) with FedEx the up front will be higher but brokerage fees are built into the shipping cost so often there will be nothing owing on delivery.

It's not dishonest at all, it's not the seller or the couirer charging you these fees it's the government of Canada. All the couriers are quite honest about cross boarder shipping costs if you take the time to actually read the terms of shipment.

theFinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2012, 12:01 AM
vapor11

I attempted my first hockey order from the states around x-mas when HM was having clearance+25% off..I ordered 3 sticks in total..had them shipped to a border stop and drove across to pick it up..When it came time to pay duty I had to pay what the sticks actually retailed for..not the clearance+25% off price..I can't remember exactly what I paid I threw the paper out but it was like $30-40 in duty(Yes I even brought invoice showing what I paid)..for 2 vapor x40's and a cheapo Easton S3..which made the deal not so good afterall when you factor in gas/making the trip..The only Canadian shipping option was $50 and you never know if they will hit you with the duty fee to boot

I understand supply and demand but they really gouge us Canadians

vapor11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2012, 07:52 AM
KINgGh0sT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kessel View Post
I attempted my first hockey order from the states around x-mas when HM was having clearance+25% off..I ordered 3 sticks in total..had them shipped to a border stop and drove across to pick it up..When it came time to pay duty I had to pay what the sticks actually retailed for..not the clearance+25% off price..I can't remember exactly what I paid I threw the paper out but it was like $30-40 in duty(Yes I even brought invoice showing what I paid)..for 2 vapor x40's and a cheapo Easton S3..which made the deal not so good afterall when you factor in gas/making the trip..The only Canadian shipping option was $50 and you never know if they will hit you with the duty fee to boot

I understand supply and demand but they really gouge us Canadians
That makes no sense! Did you try to fight it?

But also, you probably paid 0$ in Duty. You paid HST, Tax and Duty are not the same. They also legally cannot charge you tax for more then what you paid as long as you have a receipt to prove what you paid, UNLESS they think you are being fraudulent. I buy cars from the states, You actually can save a boat load in registering a car by paying at the border, because when you go to a Service Ontario they tax you are the Blue Book value is, vs the Border that charges you at what you paid. I also shop through the states every two weeks I know the rules, also my girlfriend works for CBSA.

Also remember this for next time,

If you disagree with the amount of duty and taxes that you have to pay, please ask to speak with the superintendent on duty. A consultation can often resolve the issue quickly and without cost. If you are still not satisfied, our officers can tell you how to make a formal appeal.

That is from the CBSA website.

Don't let this happen next time!

KINgGh0sT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2012, 09:19 AM
sanityplease

We get bent over in Canada...

Has anyone ever ordered from "hockey supremacy", in Quebec?

sanityplease is offline   Reply With Quote