HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Chicago Blackhawks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Good News - Bad News

Old
03-22-2012, 01:00 AM
Fenway

vCash: 700
Good News - Bad News

Blackhawks are playing very well. But are they playing TOO well?

Here is the dilemma. If they keep playing like this they could capture the #4 seed and at least have home ice against number #5. BUT staying at #6 they would avoid Detroit and Nashville and let those 2 go at it. This morning Dallas sits at #3.

The real nightmare would be to finish at #5.

I think you will see a cat and mouse game with the Hawks, Nashville and Detroit. Nobody wants to be in that 4-5 series in Round 1.

Thoughts?

Fenway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2012, 01:02 AM
sketch22

vCash: 2893
Duncs upcoming suspension should keep us solidly in the 6th seed.

sketch22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2012, 02:29 AM
EbonyRaptor

vCash: 500
If we've learned anything about the Hawks this year it's that they're capable of losing streaks as much as winning streaks. At 92 points, they're in a very favorable position, but they haven't secured a playoff position yet. If they drop 4 or 5 in a row, the Hawks will be right back on the bubble again ... so worrying about not getting the 5th position is a little premature. At this point, I don't care what position the Hawks end up in as long as they make the final cut.

I will add that for all the Hawk fans that want the #6 spot because playing the Pacific Division winner in the first round will supposedly be the easiest matchup - I'm not so sure. As crazy as this sounds - Detroit is the team that I think the Hawks match up well against and I thought that before the Wings went into their nosedive down the stretch.

EbonyRaptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2012, 03:16 AM
Sir Psycho T
More Cowbell!

Why are people sooo worried who cares who they play, if your a cup contending team you have to play the best teams.

Seriously lose games so we don't have to play Nashville? That is such a pathetic attitude, is it to late to fail for Nail?

Sir Psycho T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2012, 05:30 AM
EmeticDonut

vCash: 50
Even when winning there is something to complain and be worried about. While meeting the 3rd place Pacific team might be favorable, in the end shouldn't matter who they meet, they still need to win them.

EmeticDonut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2012, 06:40 AM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

just make it as high as possible... thats what matters

Bubba88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2012, 11:00 AM
salty justice

Hawks won't get higher than 6th. With Keith and Kruger out the next 3 games (I'm guessing) we'll probably lose the next 3 games. That only leaves 4 games left on the season to gain ground on 4th or 5th so I don't expect it to happen.

salty justice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2012, 11:03 AM
BronYrAur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Psycho T View Post
Why are people sooo worried who cares who they play, if your a cup contending team you have to play the best teams.

Seriously lose games so we don't have to play Nashville? That is such a pathetic attitude, is it to late to fail for Nail?
Look, this is fine in theory. But really, every team that wins the Cup is going to have the luck go their way a bit to get there. If you give yourself Nash/Det 1st rd, then Blues 2nd rd, then Van 3rd rd.....even if you get through that murderer's row, what are you going to have left for the Rangers/Pens/Flyers/Bruins???

BronYrAur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2012, 11:36 AM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

we won the Cup against the Preds, Nucks and Sharks and still had enough left for the Flyers

Nucks and Sharks were contenders and Preds as always hard to play against. Jackets or Blues would have been easier than the Preds in 10

Old
03-22-2012, 11:37 AM
BronYrAur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba88 View Post
we won the Cup against the Preds, Nucks and Sharks and still had enough left for the Flyers

Nucks and Sharks were contenders and Preds as always hard to play against. Jackets or Blues would have been easier than the Preds in 10
That team year's team was much better than this Hawks team. More reliable goaltending. They were ridiculously healthy (we don't even know if Toews will be back), the Flyers were the 8 seed in the East, the Preds were decent but not nearly as good as they are now. Sharks were, as they always are, a joke. Vancouver was by far the toughest team the Hawks had to beat.

Old
03-22-2012, 11:43 AM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

we have had no luck in our Cup Run, no team has. Don't get me wrong, you need luck to win it all, but after the 1st round there are no easy opponents or anything like that

Old
03-22-2012, 11:46 AM
BronYrAur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba88 View Post
we have had no luck in our Cup Run, no team has. Don't get me wrong, you need luck to win it all, but after the 1st round there are no easy opponents or anything like that
It's just going to be a lot harder this time around. Which is why I don't really think the Hawks will do it.

Honestly, Dallas kind of scares me because they do have some very dangerous scorers and they play a slow methodical game that the Hawks do not like. We match up much better with high-scoring teams who like pace.

Old
03-22-2012, 11:58 AM
RomersWorld*

I don't get why people are acting like if you get to the 2nd round it is meaningless. What would I rather have... 1) watch 4-7 games and my team loses the series or 2) watch my team win 4 games and take the series in the 1st round, and watch 4-7 more exciting games even though my team loses in the end.

So watch 4-7 games or 8-14 playoff games? I'd like to watch my team in 8 to 14 playoff games.

I'll always take more success and more games to watch. It makes the Hawks more money, gives them more experience, more exposure, ect. You don't have to win the Cup to have a good season. Obviously that is the ultimate goal, but I think our getting to the WCF and losing in 09 was a great experience for our Cup run in 2010. I think guys like Kruger, Leddy, Shaw, Hayes, Olsen, ect. could use the most experience they can get.

I hope we finish 6th and play the Stars. At this point, there are too many scenarios to really pick and choose though. We could finish anywhere from 4th-10th still. The Sharks might win the next 10 games and be the hottest team in the league if we finish 6th. Maybe we finish 4th and play the Red Wings and Lidstrom, Datsyuk, Howard, ect are out for the year. Right now I'd just rather not speculate. But I know I want the Stars over the Wings, Preds.

RomersWorld* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2012, 12:19 PM
coldsteelonice84

vCash: 10592
I want 6th but plan B is 4th vs. Detroit, if Detroit can even help that cause.

coldsteelonice84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2012, 12:21 PM
Judrix
Kruger is our 2C

I don't want Nashville in the 1st round that is for sure

Judrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2012, 12:42 PM
Sarava

I don't care what seed the Hawks are. I just want them to be playing as well then as they have the last 2 weeks.

Sarava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2012, 02:27 PM
Sir Psycho T
More Cowbell!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarava View Post
i don't care what seed the hawks are. I just want them to be playing as well then as they have the last 2 weeks.
Win!

I love the they are playing too well notion, WHAT!?

Damn you Hawks, you are playing too good, start sucking NOW!

Sir Psycho T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2012, 02:31 PM
BronYrAur

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldsteelonice84 View Post
I want 6th but plan B is 4th vs. Detroit, if Detroit can even help that cause.
Hawks won't get by Detroit if they don't have Toews and Detroit has Datsyuk. Detroit will be getting healthy by the playoffs it looks like.

Old
03-22-2012, 09:05 PM
RFIP
I LOVE CRAWFORD!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Psycho T View Post

Preds are in a free fall right now...Pens smacked them all over the ring tonight 5-1 and Rinne looks like he's doing his Crawford immatation...he can't stop sh/t right now.

I for one LOVE playoff hockey and could care less how we play!

RFIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2012, 09:07 PM
RFIP
I LOVE CRAWFORD!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BronYrAur View Post
Hawks won't get by Detroit if they don't have Toews and Detroit has Datsyuk. Detroit will be getting healthy by the playoffs it looks like.
Detroit is an old team, they are always going to be day-to-day until they turn the roster over once and for all. I don't think the hawks are cup contenders but I certainly don't fear playing Detroit either.

RFIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2012, 09:24 PM
ChiGuySez
Showtime

Quote:
Originally Posted by RFIP View Post
Detroit is an old team, they are always going to be day-to-day until they turn the roster over once and for all. I don't think the hawks are cup contenders but I certainly don't fear playing Detroit either.
The retirement train keeps on chuggin over in the Motor city.

ChiGuySez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2012, 10:08 PM
IU Hawks fan
They call me 'IU'

vCash: 772
Quote:
Really??? I want them to win!

I know, I know, you meant who.

IU Hawks fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2012, 08:29 AM
Beukeboom Fan

Quote:
Preds are in a free fall right now...Pens smacked them all over the ring tonight 5-1 and Rinne looks like he's doing his Crawford immatation...he can't stop sh/t right now.

In case you didn't notice, the Pens are the hottest team in the NHL right now and they're just clowning teams. Using that game as a measuring stick is foolish IMO.

Beukeboom Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2012, 09:28 AM
committedindian86
Flip The Switch

I'm fine with any matchup. Hawks made a nice run in 08-09 from the 4-5 matchup, why not give that a whirl again.

committedindian86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2012, 11:34 AM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

cause people are afraid of the Preds..