HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

Are 'The Suits' the Source of Our Futility?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-25-2012, 06:19 PM
  #101
Cmillz
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,382
vCash: 500
Big problem in my mind is our catatonic crowd night in night out at the ACC. Crowd noise has an effect on the players, and we fail at it miserably. Case in point...Winnipeg. Those fans kick our *****...and their players respond.

Fire the suits at the ACC in the stands in my opinion...crappy fans (the majority of them of course, not all).

Cmillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2012, 07:35 PM
  #102
hockeyfanz
Registered User
 
hockeyfanz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 6,901
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebluemachine View Post
Only problem with your argument is that it takes two to make a trade. You can't flat out blame Bourke if no one wanted to trade for the mediocrity and junk he was given. Re-builds take time, he eventually got around and started clearing the slate, that former Calgary GM lost his job for taking them off our hands.
What argument? You cannot argue dates. You guys are hilarious. If I told you I was born in the year 1982 , I would be 30 years old this year. There would not be an argument. Unless your a Burke blowhard.....No argument that he was handed mediocrity. Problem is thats all he has provided in 4 years. Not even that. Stop lying to fans. Not all Leaf fans are dumb.

hockeyfanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2012, 07:51 PM
  #103
thebluemachine*
go ahead, do it
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 11,193
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfanz View Post
What argument? You cannot argue dates. You guys are hilarious. If I told you I was born in the year 1982 , I would be 30 years old this year. There would not be an argument. Unless your a Burke blowhard.....No argument that he was handed mediocrity. Problem is thats all he has provided in 4 years. Not even that. Stop lying to fans. Not all Leaf fans are dumb.
Why are you moving the goal posts to dates now and claiming I'm lying about them if I didn't even mention dates in my post?

thebluemachine* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2012, 07:57 PM
  #104
hockeyfanz
Registered User
 
hockeyfanz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 6,901
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebluemachine View Post
Why are you moving the goal posts to dates now and claiming I'm lying about them if I didn't even mention dates in my post?
Ummmm..the initial convo was about how many seasons Brian Burke has had as the GM of the Leafs. The answer is simple and not really open for debate but somehow you and a few others on this board have a hard time with the math. He will be 2 months shy of 4 full seasons as GM of the Leafs. This will be his 4th off season as Leafs GM. That means 4 trade deadlines, 4 drafts and 4 July 1sts......Stop lying on this board.

hockeyfanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2012, 08:03 PM
  #105
thebluemachine*
go ahead, do it
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 11,193
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfanz View Post
Ummmm..the initial convo was about how many seasons Brian Burke has had as the GM of the Leafs. The answer is simple and not really open for debate but somehow you and a few others on this board have a hard time with the math. He will be 2 months shy of 4 full seasons as GM of the Leafs. This will be his 4th off season as Leafs GM. That means 4 trade deadlines, 4 drafts and 4 July 1sts......Stop lying on this board.
I questioned you for saying he didn't do anything in his first partial season because there's a lot more involved in making trades then just snapping your fingers. Not sure why you're still calling me a liar, just read over my original post. It's all there.

thebluemachine* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2012, 08:08 PM
  #106
crump
~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
 
crump's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Ontariariario
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,868
vCash: 274
to the OP....

We can never tell, sometimes it takes years to hear stories like how Gretzky wanted to sign here but the "suits" said no. And even then how much stock can you put into mostly hearsay and speculation.

Unfortunatety, as fans, we are left out of the loop on hockey decisions.


Last edited by crump: 03-25-2012 at 08:48 PM.
crump is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2012, 08:34 PM
  #107
Confucius
Registered User
 
Confucius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,461
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by crump View Post
to the OP....

We can never tell, sometimes it takes years to hear stories like how Gretzky wanted to sign here but the "suits" said no. And even then how much stock can you put into mostlt hearsay and speculation.

Unfortunatety, as fans, we are left out of the loop on hockey decisions.
I agreed with not going after him, I think he wanted 7 million per year. It was at the end of his career, he went to the Rangers instead. I'm glad we didn't get him. Don't like the idea of players coming home to retire when they played elsewhere their entire careers.

Confucius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2012, 08:37 PM
  #108
paulster2626
Shape up or ship out
 
paulster2626's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,107
vCash: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyhopeful View Post
I agreed with not going after him, I think he wanted 7 million per year. It was at the end of his career, he went to the Rangers instead. I'm glad we didn't get him. Don't like the idea of players coming home to retire when they played elsewhere their entire careers.
Apparently Fletch had a contract all ironed out and ready to go for $3m, but was told to go and stick it.

paulster2626 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2012, 08:40 PM
  #109
EazyB97
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 27,854
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyhopeful View Post
I agreed with not going after him, I think he wanted 7 million per year. It was at the end of his career, he went to the Rangers instead. I'm glad we didn't get him. Don't like the idea of players coming home to retire when they played elsewhere their entire careers.
He was willing to take a huge paycut to come to Toronto, under $3 million when others were offering $7+.

Why wouldn't you want a legend, who was still an elite player, on your team at a significantly discounted rate?

EazyB97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2012, 08:43 PM
  #110
Confucius
Registered User
 
Confucius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,461
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulster2626 View Post
Apparently Fletch had a contract all ironed out and ready to go for $3m, but was told to go and stick it.
Well i see he went to the Rags for 6.25 and that was 15 years ago. Anyway that was alot of money for a guy on his last legs. I haven't heard the 3 million part before. Just wish the big stars show a desire to come here when they're 27 not 37.

Confucius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2012, 08:45 PM
  #111
EazyB97
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 27,854
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyhopeful View Post
Well i see he went to the Rags for 6.25 and that was 15 years ago. Anyway that was alot of money for a guy on his last legs. I haven't heard the 3 million part before. Just wish the big stars show a desire to come here when they're 27 not 37.
Here's a quote from Gretzky on it:
“We were talking about something between $2 million and $3 million a season,” Gretzky told Gord Stellick for the book ’67: The Maple Leafs, Their Sensational Victory and the End of An Empire, published in 2004.

“And you know, the ridiculous part is that Vancouver was offering me $8 million a season. But I wanted to be a Leaf in the worst way. I told Cliff, ‘I’ll do whatever it takes to make it work. You can defer my salary for 25 years if you have to. Whatever it takes to get the deal done.’”

Ultimately, partly because Stavro was forced to pay millions to the charities named in Harold Ballard’s will, the Leafs declined to sign Gretzky, who joined the New York Rangers, instead.

“(Fletcher) said he couldn’t get the deal approved,” said Gretzky, who said he was convinced at the time he was going to play for the Leafs. “Oh, definitely. I thought that way for a few weeks.”

http://www.thestar.com/sports/hockey...-bid-for-leafs

EazyB97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2012, 08:50 PM
  #112
Erdinger
Registered User
 
Erdinger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,755
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by EazyB97 View Post
Here's a quote from Gretzky on it:
“We were talking about something between $2 million and $3 million a season,” Gretzky told Gord Stellick for the book ’67: The Maple Leafs, Their Sensational Victory and the End of An Empire, published in 2004.

“And you know, the ridiculous part is that Vancouver was offering me $8 million a season. But I wanted to be a Leaf in the worst way. I told Cliff, ‘I’ll do whatever it takes to make it work. You can defer my salary for 25 years if you have to. Whatever it takes to get the deal done.’”

Ultimately, partly because Stavro was forced to pay millions to the charities named in Harold Ballard’s will, the Leafs declined to sign Gretzky, who joined the New York Rangers, instead.

“(Fletcher) said he couldn’t get the deal approved,” said Gretzky, who said he was convinced at the time he was going to play for the Leafs. “Oh, definitely. I thought that way for a few weeks.”

http://www.thestar.com/sports/hockey...-bid-for-leafs
I remember how disappointed I was when the Leafs backed off. I remember Bill Watters(when he was still a member of the management team and hadn't got into his hate MLSE personna) coming on the FAN and saying that the Leafs didn't need to sell seats so they didn't need a player like Gretzky. Accurate assessment but how typically freakin' arrogant. They would have got more revenue than they would have paid Gretzky from sales of Leafs replica jerseys with his name on it.

Erdinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2012, 09:48 PM
  #113
feverz28
Registered User
 
feverz28's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 87
vCash: 500
Yes, the suits are actually the source of the whole worlds futility.

If those would have been Leaf fans in REGULAR clothes in the first 50 rows instead of suits and empty seats, we would probably be in a playoff spot, or a lot closer.

feverz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2012, 10:27 PM
  #114
The Legend
Stamkos in 2016
 
The Legend's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,834
vCash: 500
I just want to point out two things:

1) I have sat in the upper and the lower bowl many times. There is no difference to the "quality" of fan in either.

2) what more would people want MLSE to do for the Leafs?

The Legend is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:01 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.