HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Hockey Fights
Hockey Fights Discuss and rate hockey fights and fighters of today and from the past. Videos welcome!

Why I hate enforcers

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-23-2012, 05:47 PM
  #26
Banana Sandwiches
Registered User
 
Banana Sandwiches's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Country: United States
Posts: 2,292
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by acor View Post
Blysma won't call Engellard or Big Mac, as all enforcers in PIT in Crosby Era (BGL/Godard/BigMac) were just a sideshow freaks, not "protrectors" of Crosby. Plus Crosby, a contrary to popular opinion, IS able to hold his own and fight his own battles. Check his fightcard.
Two things wrong with this post:

First off, Eric Godard did protect his teammates.



While I'm sure the Penguins admired Crosby for trying to get at Rosehill, they definitely don't want and that's why Godard comes flying in.

Also, Godard is the guy who took a 10 game suspension for coming off the bench so his goalie wouldn't have to fight Micheal Haley.

The second part of your post, Crosby's fight card, is pretty laughable.

He's fought Andrew Ference (I'll give you that he's fairly tough), Brett McLean (doesn't fight plus Crosby jumped him), Keith Ballard (he'll sometimes fight), Marek Zidlicky (guy who doesn't fight/can't really fight), and Matt Niskanen (he can't fight to save his life). Those aren't the guys Pittsburgh is concerned about in regards to protecting Crosby. Guys like Chris Neil, Colton Orr (if he ever gets back to NHL), Steve Ott, etc. are the guys who worry Pittsburgh because all of them can hit and hit hard and none of them are shy when the mitts come off. You're delusional if you think Crosby could hold his own against a guy like Chris Neil. I think most Pens fans would rather have a "goon" like Godard who will protect his teammates (sure, maybe take a roster spot from someone marginally better) than have Crosby fight his own battles. It's fine if Crosby wants to fight his own battles against guys who aren't fighters either, but he shouldn't have to fight other teams' tough guys.

Banana Sandwiches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2012, 05:57 PM
  #27
acor
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 581
vCash: 500
Quote:
The second part of your post, Crosby's fight card, is pretty laughable.

He's fought Andrew Ference (I'll give you that he's fairly tough), Brett McLean (doesn't fight plus Crosby jumped him), Keith Ballard (he'll sometimes fight), Marek Zidlicky (guy who doesn't fight/can't really fight), and Matt Niskanen (he can't fight to save his life).
Umm...So is he supposed to fight Orr/Laraque type of guys to gain respect of player who can hold his own ? He fights when he is challenged, I remember one time he refused against Dubinsky, but overall, he has nothing to be ashamed about in this departament. Ballard and Ferrance are pretty good fighters after all (I know, in pourist fan vocabulary anyone who is not "legit heavyweight" is NOT a fighter)...

But, enough of this. This thread is NOT about Crosby.

acor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2012, 09:32 PM
  #28
mygameworn
Registered User
 
mygameworn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Connecticut
Country: United States
Posts: 1,733
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to mygameworn
You're example has nothing to do with the "enforcer" role. It's one teammate stepping in for another. It happens a lot, not exactly like that, but it happens.

You then talk about liking the gusty, scrappy agitators. What agitator has guts? btw Chris Neil is not an agitator, Ott, ok maybe. Marchand, Avery, Ruutu, Downie and I'm sure I'm missing more. There is no guts when it comes to them. They don't answer the bell when it comes time. Agitators know they're protected by the instigator rule.

Your opinions are just that, not fact. I'd remove the dirty players before I'd remove the enforcer role. Also why do you insist on only the enforcers are on steroids?

mygameworn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2012, 11:49 PM
  #29
Coop
Registered User
 
Coop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 177
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by acor View Post
I've never had anything against fighting, however I always hated enforcers. I think existance of enforcers in fact embaraces soft players. Existance of enforcers= existance of "protected" players.
Have you ever seen something equally embarrassing to this ?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X3Sq1Kwz-zc

Those who love enforcers calls themself old school hockey fans, while they fail to realize that in real old school hockey there were no "enforcers"- and no sacred cows either. Players were supposed to fight their own battles. Richard or Howe were their own enforcers. Gretzky never was forced to fight, or play physical, BC he had his "enforcers".

Another reason against enforcers is my love to gutsy, scrappy guys called "agitators". I know you like to call them rats, or even "cowards" (while, at the same time embaracing Gretzky or Sedin), but I think many of you love to see players like Ott, or Neil inmiditating softer players of opposition

Its no secret, that pesty play of Brad Marchand against Sedins was big reason why Bruins were so dominant against Canucks. Would he be as effective if he'd have to answer some roided goon ? In current era- yes, because he'd turtle, emasculine Sedin and draw instigator, but in 80s ?
I don't get what you're saying. You're saying that your favourite role "agitator" gets free reign today, but you want to go back in time to the 80's and get rid of enforcers so "agitators" could have free reign back then too?

You talk of the old days...there were still enforcers.

Quote:
In Boston on December 12, 1933, Shore ended the career of Toronto Maple Leafs star Ace Bailey when he hit Bailey from behind. Shore had checked Bailey, apparently in retaliation for a hit that Shore had received from Bailey's teammate Red Horner moments earlier. When Bailey's head hit the ice he was knocked unconscious and went into convulsions. In retaliation, Leafs tough-guy Red Horner punched Shore, whose head hit the ice as he fell from the blow. Shore was knocked out and required seven stitches but wasn't seriously injured. Bailey was rushed to hospital in critical condition with a fractured skull, and was operated on for more than four hours and there were fears he could die. Following the incident, Shore was suspended for 16 games by the league. Shore apologized to Bailey after the game, and the two shook hands at centre ice before a benefit game at Maple Leaf Gardens in Bailey's honour on February 14, 1934.
It was a different game back then my friend. The kind of retaliatory stuff that happened you can get arrested/sued for today. You want to go back to that? Bobby Clarke breaking Kharlamov's ankle?

Coop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2012, 06:14 AM
  #30
acor
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 581
vCash: 500
Quote:
You then talk about liking the gusty, scrappy agitators. What agitator has guts? btw Chris Neil is not an agitator, Ott, ok maybe. Marchand, Avery, Ruutu, Downie and I'm sure I'm missing more. There is no guts when it comes to them. They don't answer the bell when it comes time. Agitators know they're protected by the instigator rule.
First of all, agitators fight more than avarage player. Sure, they don't respond goons, but why should they ? If some man has some business with me, he should do it yourself, not sending some thug after me.

acor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2012, 09:17 AM
  #31
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston
 
Analyzer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Renfrew, ON.
Country: Canada
Posts: 39,287
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by acor View Post
First of all, agitators fight more than avarage player. Sure, they don't respond goons, but why should they ? If some man has some business with me, he should do it yourself, not sending some thug after me.
Agitators go after skilled players to get them to fight. So, why shouldn't a "goon" be allowed to go after the agitator, pummel his face in so that he'll learn ?

Agitators do their job knowing heavy weights will be coming after them.

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2012, 11:43 AM
  #32
mygameworn
Registered User
 
mygameworn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Connecticut
Country: United States
Posts: 1,733
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to mygameworn
Quote:
Originally Posted by acor View Post
First of all, agitators fight more than avarage player. Sure, they don't respond goons, but why should they ? If some man has some business with me, he should do it yourself, not sending some thug after me.
Agitators are average players. Your logic is severely flawed.

My agitator list, (I gave you Ott).
player - fighting majors
Marchand - 2
Avery - 3
Kaleta -3
Carcillo - 5
Ott- 6

There are 56 players who have at least 6 or more fighting majors. Agitators very rarely standup for themselves. Try another excuse to hate "enforcers"

Thank God this forum has an ignore button. It grows larger and larger by the day.

mygameworn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2012, 01:18 PM
  #33
mahonistan*
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Ireland
Posts: 770
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mygameworn View Post
Agitators are average players. Your logic is severely flawed.

My agitator list, (I gave you Ott).
player - fighting majors
Marchand - 2
Avery - 3
Kaleta -3
Carcillo - 5
Ott- 6

There are 56 players who have at least 6 or more fighting majors. Agitators very rarely standup for themselves. Try another excuse to hate "enforcers"

Thank God this forum has an ignore button. It grows larger and larger by the day.
Gordie Howe, Claude Lemieux, and Esa Tikannen were all agitators, and all were great players. Don't forget about Dale Hunter or Ulf Samuelson either. The crop for players that take on the role of true agitator these days are decent players too. Ott, Avery, and Morrow are/were decent players and great agitators. The agitators' role isn't necessarily to fight. It's to rile up the other team and make them commit stupid penalties.

mahonistan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2012, 01:29 PM
  #34
billybudd
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 8,127
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by acor View Post
Too bad Stevens, Lindros, Chelios and fer other guys who belong to the top of hokey elite (not saying HoF, as HoF voters are often unfair), weren't aware of it.
These guys are exceptions. Stevens caused all of the problems that put him in fights. He wasn't being targeted; he put a bullseye on his own forehead. If you're going to play the way he did, guys are going to rightly want to beat you down all the time. Just comes with the territory and always has. At least he was a man about it, unlike Samuelsson or, worse, Kronwall.

Lindros, in particular, was an aberration. Franchise players never ever have been commonly capable of handling the toughest guys in the league, let alone easily. There never was a guy like him prior to him and hasn't been one after.

I mean, Steve MacIntyre's mitts and Kopitar's hands came in the same package exactly one time in 120 years.


Quote:
Blysma won't call Engellard or Big Mac, as all enforcers in PIT in Crosby Era (BGL/Godard/BigMac) were just a sideshow freaks, not "protrectors" of Crosby. Plus Crosby, a contrary to popular opinion, IS able to hold his own and fight his own battles. Check his fightcard.
As someone else said, Godard did his job and did it well. Hartnell was a mouse in every game against Pitt that Godard played after the latter taught him a lesson.

And, as myself and, I think, Eaglepride already said, it simply doesn't matter if Crosby or Ovechkin are capable of handling their own battles. It is unwise in a team sport to allow people like them to do so. Their "battle-handling" is something that can more easily be backfilled by guys on the roster. Again, Matt Bradley can fight Downie just as well (better, really) than Alex O. What Bradley cannot do, is handle the scoring lost by letting OV do something dangerous he's not used to doing against a guy who is used to doing it.

Remember when Taylor Hall wrecked his ankle in an ill-advised show of machismo? That's why someone jumps in for star players; freak things can happen in fights involving guys who don't fight regularlt.


Quote:
Toughest job in hockey is, in fact, agitator- you have to be decent fighter, AT LEAST NHL 3rd line worthy player, and you are in constant danger of being jumped by some roided ape.
This is completely not true. Rat is probably the easiest job in the sport. To be a rat you need
a) be able to skate
b) be willing to work
c) disregard for the well-fare of the opposition
d) lack of shame

Tyson Nash has written pretty extensively about this. Might want to do a search to see what he said or buy his book if he has one.

Enforcers, on the other hand, have all sorts of psychological and physical pressures from their job that other players just aren't subject to.

billybudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2012, 02:34 PM
  #35
mygameworn
Registered User
 
mygameworn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Connecticut
Country: United States
Posts: 1,733
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to mygameworn
Quote:
Originally Posted by mahonistan View Post
Gordie Howe, Claude Lemieux, and Esa Tikannen were all agitators, and all were great players. Don't forget about Dale Hunter or Ulf Samuelson either. The crop for players that take on the role of true agitator these days are decent players too. Ott, Avery, and Morrow are/were decent players and great agitators. The agitators' role isn't necessarily to fight. It's to rile up the other team and make them commit stupid penalties.
I'm referring to now as the OP has stated. A decent player is equal to an average player or role player imo.

mygameworn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2012, 04:37 PM
  #36
Big Phil
Registered User
 
Big Phil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,632
vCash: 500
First off, that video with Ovechkin and Downie is not Ovechkin's fault. Bradley should have just let them go at it. I honestly think Ovechkin would have won that fight. I understand why Bradley would step in, but honestly, let 'em go! So you can't blame Ovechkin there, he was ready to rumble.

As for the comments on Marchand, you know, if the Canucks didn't cower in the corner to start with then he would have never embarassed Sedin to start with. That surely had to boost the Bruins knowing that their agitator could intimidate their captain like that without anyone stepping in. Not to mention, the best thing that could have happened was at the beginning of Game 7 the Canucks take their tough guy and at puck drop (if he's on the ice) drop the mitts with Marchand. I am talking about in the beginning of Game 7 here! Both players get 5 minutes and it sets the tone for the Canucks. Maybe it isn't a 4-0 game and Marchand doesn't score two goals? Who knows? But if the roles were reversed Chara would never have stood for that nonsense.

So in a way, having a tough guy on your team is important for those reasons. The problem was, no one on the Canucks had the guts to do anything about it, which is a typical reason why they lost.

And Gretzky did have Semenko around there sure. But Yzerman had Probert. Bossy had Gillies and even Beliveau eventually got Ferguson. Lemieux and even Crosby are stars who have had liberties taken against them more than anyone without someone standing up for them.

If I had a player who scored 200 points in a season (Gretzky) I'd be stupid if I didn't do my best to protect that asset that will win you games on sheer talent. Another thing, it isn't as if Gretzky skated around dishing out elbows and then hiding behind everyone. He wasn't Bobby Clarke. He was a clean player who didn't get his nose dirty because it wasn't his game. The Sedins are clean too, the only thing is that even Gretzky wouldn't have let himself get pummelled like that in the final last year. He'd of at least grabbed the guy's sweater. Then McSorley would have stood up for the honour of his team and wrapped the guy's knuckles. Something no Canuck did.

See the need for an enforcer now?

Big Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2012, 05:24 PM
  #37
Rob
Registered User
 
Rob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: New Brunswick
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,816
vCash: 500
Enforcers are either the nicest guys in the world off the ice or completely bat ***** crazy.

Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2012, 06:03 PM
  #38
Alchemy
Philadelphia Flyers
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 12,381
vCash: 500
Honestly i am glad the role of the sidehow enforcer is getting taken out to the game. If the tough guys want to stay in the NHL they need to be decent hockey players. The last true goon that had skill was Brashear. He could at least put up 30 points in his prime. Hell Probert put up 40 points in his career multiple times. He even had a 62 point season. They simply just need to evolve and not be side show freaks.

Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2012, 06:49 PM
  #39
TieClark
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 3,689
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sm0ka47 View Post
Honestly i am glad the role of the sidehow enforcer is getting taken out to the game. If the tough guys want to stay in the NHL they need to be decent hockey players. The last true goon that had skill was Brashear. He could at least put up 30 points in his prime. Hell Probert put up 40 points in his career multiple times. He even had a 62 point season. They simply just need to evolve and not be side show freaks.
Brashear had no more skill than all of the enforcers now... that's ridiculous. Probert played on Detroits top lines protecting their players... that's why he got points.

TieClark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2012, 07:05 PM
  #40
Alchemy
Philadelphia Flyers
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 12,381
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TieClark View Post
Brashear had no more skill than all of the enforcers now... that's ridiculous. Probert played on Detroits top lines protecting their players... that's why he got points.
Really? Brash was a decent hockey player. Way better then all of the sideshows now. Id say the only enforcer in the league right now that can actually play a shift in the playoffs is Shawn Thornton. Most of these enforcer now days can't even break 10 points. Hell most can't even break 5 points. You think Tony Twist or Jody Shelley could put up points if they played on the top line? That is what's ridiculous. Probbie had decent skills. Every hockey analyst will tell you that.

Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2012, 08:02 PM
  #41
TieClark
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 3,689
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sm0ka47 View Post
Really? Brash was a decent hockey player. Way better then all of the sideshows now. Id say the only enforcer in the league right now that can actually play a shift in the playoffs is Shawn Thornton. Most of these enforcer now days can't even break 10 points. Hell most can't even break 5 points. You think Tony Twist or Jody Shelley could put up points if they played on the top line? That is what's ridiculous. Probbie had decent skills. Every hockey analyst will tell you that.
I think the game has changed pretty drastically... it has nothing to do with their actual skill. I'm probably Tie Domi's biggest fan, but in todays NHL he isn't putting up half decent stats.

TieClark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2012, 09:36 AM
  #42
acor
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 581
vCash: 500
Quote:
My agitator list, (I gave you Ott).
player - fighting majors
Marchand - 2
Avery - 3
Kaleta -3
Carcillo - 5
Ott- 6

There are 56 players who have at least 6 or more fighting majors. Agitators very rarely standup for themselves. Try another excuse to hate "enforcers"
Whooping 56 players, plus some of them are goon enforcers. If someone who fights 4-5 times per season, "rarely stand for himself", then how do you refer to players who NEVER fights, like Sedin ?

Quote:
These guys are exceptions. Stevens caused all of the problems that put him in fights. He wasn't being targeted; he put a bullseye on his own forehead. If you're going to play the way he did, guys are going to rightly want to beat you down all the time. Just comes with the territory and always has. At least he was a man about it, unlike Samuelsson or, worse, Kronwall.
Stevens. And Lindros. And Chelios. And Chara. And Neely. And Shanny. And Brind'Amour. And Messier. And Iginla. And even Thornton, Lecavallier, Kovalchuk.
So many "one in a million" players.

BTW- I would be pleased if you would not put my role model Ulf in the same sentence as IMO disgraceful Kronwall.

Ulf- 70 career fights
Kronwall- ZERO.

Quote:
First off, that video with Ovechkin and Downie is not Ovechkin's fault. Bradley should have just let them go at it. I honestly think Ovechkin would have won that fight. I understand why Bradley would step in, but honestly, let 'em go! So you can't blame Ovechkin there, he was ready to rumble.
I know its not Ovie's fault, but Bradley make him looks like fool, honestly. Plus, lerts face it, Ovie is more exposed to injuries by the way he play the game, than in 10 second fight against Downie. Argument about 5 minutes in penalty box is also weak IMO. All this players, especially forwards, average less than 30 minutes per game.

Anyway, ultimate winner of that scrap was Downie. Put 2 capitals players (star winger and a goon) in penalty box. Thats the power of agitator


Quote:
As for the comments on Marchand, you know, if the Canucks didn't cower in the corner to start with then he would have never embarassed Sedin to start with. That surely had to boost the Bruins knowing that their agitator could intimidate their captain like that without anyone stepping in. Not to mention, the best thing that could have happened was at the beginning of Game 7 the Canucks take their tough guy and at puck drop (if he's on the ice) drop the mitts with Marchand. I am talking about in the beginning of Game 7 here! Both players get 5 minutes and it sets the tone for the Canucks. Maybe it isn't a 4-0 game and Marchand doesn't score two goals?
Would Sedin feel better if, at the beginning of game seven someone would jump Marchand ? He was hummiliated in previous game, after all it all was said and done,
Goon challenging Marchand would just make it worse. Plus Marchand always could turtle, and you know what ? I wouldn't see anything shameful about this. The spot he picked was Sedin, not some "enforcer".

Quote:
So in a way, having a tough guy on your team is important for those reasons. The problem was, no one on the Canucks had the guts to do anything about it, which is a typical reason why they lost.
That "no one on the Canucks roster" was Daniel Sedin.

acor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2012, 11:19 AM
  #43
Redbarchettayyz
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 101
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by acor View Post

BTW- I would be pleased if you would not put my role model Ulf in the same sentence as IMO disgraceful Kronwall.
That explains a lot, actually.

Redbarchettayyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2012, 11:39 AM
  #44
Kass Effect
Registered User
 
Kass Effect's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Data Corrupted
Posts: 1,127
vCash: 358
Resepct and refs are the problem IMO. The refs allow a lot of fashwashing and shoving and cheap play after the whistle all the time. If they cracked down and handed out penalties for unsportsmanlike BS when the play is dead, would that not be good practice for everone? Look at boxing, or UFC - those guys are trying to K.O. the other person, but as soon as the bell rings - they have enough respect to stop mid-punch and await the next bell. There is not enough respect in the NHL, and they don't do enough to encourage it. Once the play is dead, NHLers behave like the worst athletes in pro sports - and the league practically just watches it. I like tough hockey, and fighting, but respect in the NHL is seriously lacking.

Kass Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2012, 12:56 PM
  #45
Big Phil
Registered User
 
Big Phil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,632
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by acor View Post
Would Sedin feel better if, at the beginning of game seven someone would jump Marchand ? He was hummiliated in previous game, after all it all was said and done,
Goon challenging Marchand would just make it worse. Plus Marchand always could turtle, and you know what ? I wouldn't see anything shameful about this. The spot he picked was Sedin, not some "enforcer".
Well we'll never know but things like that can create a lot of distrust within teammates. The Canucks were never in the game in Game 7 from the drop of the puck. Their heads looked elsewhere. Brad Marchand meanwhile was the best player on the ice. There is a lot of truth to Conn Smythe's old saying, "If you can't beat them in the alley, you can't beat them on the ice."

Since no one stood up for Sedin or the honour of their team that could have created a silent rift. Where is the team unity? And this stuff happens to teams that lose. All the trash talking that the Canadiens had last year after Chara's hit on Max the truth is they didn't do a thing about it. No one even tried anything with Chara after the hit. Heck, Scott Gomez may as well have shook his hand. But even the games afterwards, no one stood up for a guy who pretty much had his neck broken. That's a cowardly team and that alone makes you wonder why you'd even go to war with each other if your teammates don't defend you.

Same thing for the Maple Leafs when Kaberle got hit by a late check by Cam Janssen. McCabe I believe was on the ice. Nothing was done. Nothing. The only player who even seemed mad about it was Darcy Tucker who was in street clothes and not dressed. The next game, Wade Belak to his credit fought Janssen and you have to give Janssen credit he answered the call. So yeah, the only guy who had any cojones on the Leafs is now deceased. You think there wasn't a lot of respect for Belak then? There sure was.

But this is why no one respects the Canucks. Probert would have never let that happen to Yzerman. No one would have even tried to do that to Bossy for the fear of Gillies. Lafleur? Not unless they have amnesia and forget about Robinson. Even Lemieux had players tone down against him when Tocchet was a Pen and especially his linemate.

But Sedin? Who came to his defense, slapped Marchand around and warned him never to do that again? Who gave him a kick in the teeth for that? No one. Instead he scored 2 goals in Game 7.

Still think enforcers are unecessary?

Big Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2012, 01:54 PM
  #46
acor
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 581
vCash: 500
Quote:
Since no one stood up for Sedin or the honour of their team that could have created a silent rift. Where is the team unity? And this stuff happens to teams that lose. All the trash talking that the Canadiens had last year after Chara's hit on Max the truth is they didn't do a thing about it. No one even tried anything with Chara after the hit. Heck, Scott Gomez may as well have shook his hand. But even the games afterwards, no one stood up for a guy who pretty much had his neck broken. That's a cowardly team and that alone makes you wonder why you'd even go to war with each other if your teammates don't defend you.

And would Sedin really trust his teammates more if someone would "stood up for him" ? Would he be comfortable with his damsell-in-distress role ? He was hummiliated by Marchand, and he knew it. Thats why he was lacklusting later. Goon jumping Marchand wouldn't change a thing- except maybe powerplay for Bruins

acor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2012, 03:31 PM
  #47
Big Phil
Registered User
 
Big Phil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,632
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by acor View Post
And would Sedin really trust his teammates more if someone would "stood up for him" ? Would he be comfortable with his damsell-in-distress role ? He was hummiliated by Marchand, and he knew it. Thats why he was lacklusting later. Goon jumping Marchand wouldn't change a thing- except maybe powerplay for Bruins
In the confines of a dressing room you always want to know who has your back. Sedin is obviously not a fighter and if we know that then the Canucks team should as well. Maybe all this anti-fighting agenda crap has gotten people brainwashed and such, but at the core of your hockey team is trust and having each other's back. I can guarantee Sedin would have been more comfortable if someone like Kevin Biesksa stood up to Marchand. Then he says to Sedin: "He'll leave you alone now, just go play your game and win it for us." Maybe then Marchand is a little more timid in Game 7 and the Canucks have a little more swagger. As we saw, it was the polar opposite.

You don't have to believe me though. Look at the actions of the Canucks this year. Cody Hodgson might have been a little bit of a headcase but I wouldn't have traded anyone with his young talent. But the Canucks did for Kassian. Someone who can drop the gloves, has some sandpaper and has some grit. The Canucks will tell you until they are blue in the face that they weren't trying to get tougher but actions always speak louder than words.

So yes, from a mental perspective Sedin is more comfortable if he has some toughness on his side to look out for him. There is nothing wrong with that at all as you can see I have documented many times in NHL history when succesful teams felt it was necessary to do this. I mean, Tocchet for Recchi in 1992? Come on, if that wasn't for toughness and intimidation then I don't know how else to explain it.

Big Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2012, 03:46 PM
  #48
acor
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 581
vCash: 500
Quote:
In the confines of a dressing room you always want to know who has your back. Sedin is obviously not a fighter and if we know that then the Canucks team should as well. Maybe all this anti-fighting agenda crap has gotten people brainwashed and such, but at the core of your hockey team is trust and having each other's back. I can guarantee Sedin would have been more comfortable if someone like Kevin Biesksa stood up to Marchand. Then he says to Sedin: "He'll leave you alone now, just go play your game and win it for us." Maybe then Marchand is a little more timid in Game 7 and the Canucks have a little more swagger. As we saw, it was the polar opposite.
Umm..no. Sorry, I fail to realize how "someone else" "standing for you" may make you more comfortable. Lets face it- Sedin was a WIMP. His wimpness was the reason why he got owned by Marchand, and awareness that his wimpness was exposed caused him underpersorming. Would Bieksa jumping Marchand make Sedin looking less wimpy ? Only way to Sedin for getting his momentum back would be dropping gloves against Marchand himself. Not sending his bodyguard after him, BC it would make Sedin even more wimpy, and Marchand would get bonus ammo.

acor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2012, 05:18 PM
  #49
billybudd
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 8,127
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by acor View Post
BTW- I would be pleased if you would not put my role model Ulf in the same sentence as IMO disgraceful Kronwall.
That's a fair point. I happen to agree that Kronwall is a disgrace to the sport, but that seems to be a minority opinion.

billybudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2012, 06:16 PM
  #50
Big Phil
Registered User
 
Big Phil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,632
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by acor View Post
Umm..no. Sorry, I fail to realize how "someone else" "standing for you" may make you more comfortable. Lets face it- Sedin was a WIMP. His wimpness was the reason why he got owned by Marchand, and awareness that his wimpness was exposed caused him underpersorming. Would Bieksa jumping Marchand make Sedin looking less wimpy ? Only way to Sedin for getting his momentum back would be dropping gloves against Marchand himself. Not sending his bodyguard after him, BC it would make Sedin even more wimpy, and Marchand would get bonus ammo.
It isn't about how it makes Sedin look because there isn't anything he could do for his own dignity after that other than dropping the mitts with Marchand himself. But I have to ask, how can you not see that having teammates that have your back makes you more comfortable? I can't understand how you don't see that logic. I know its been 65 years since Canada was in WWII but think of it that way, you certainly feel a lot more comfortable if someone has your back. The analogy works with hockey (although of course less serious than war). I guarantee you Gretzky felt a whole lot better knowing Semenko had his back regardless. Or McSorley. In fact how do I KNOW he felt comfortable with Marty? He requested that he came with him to L.A. in the trade. Pretty solid proof there don't you think?

Playing hockey on a sheet of ice is hardly any different than the playground. If you aren't the fighting type you want to know that your friend will stick up for you when a bully comes around. That same fear on the playground I can assure you is entrenched in some players' on the ice even if they don't admit it. I can also assure you that you'd feel safer on the ice if Chara was with you than if Phil Housley was. That's the importance of enforcers, if only for the reason for protection and peace of mind for the other players

Big Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:21 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.