HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

3/23/12 "Corey Potter And The Cup Of Stanley" - Oilers VS Panthers

Closed Thread

Old
03-24-2012, 09:08 AM
adam graves
Panther 20 yr sth

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by angry_treefrog View Post
I'm not going to Sundays game, so I'm expecting a convincing win.

As KW said, when you go to the games, a SOL doesn't feel much different than a loss. In a way, it feels even worse.
It's true there is little difference in vibe when we don't get the bonus point. Had versteeg's breakaway gone in , the tone and tenure leaving the arena would have been completely different, as it would have on this thread.

But it should have much solace as we cut 2 points off our magic number from 13 -11. ( subtract eac point we gain and each point we fail to gain) its the same # for buff for a playoff spot.

Last edited by adam graves: 03-24-2012 at 09:15 AM.
Old
03-24-2012, 09:14 AM
SoupyFIN
Global Moderator
#CatsAren'tComing

vCash: 250000
Quote:
Originally Posted by adam graves View Post
Had versteeg's breakaway gone in , the tone and tenure leaving the arena would have been completely different, as it would have on this thread.
Nope, people would still rip steeg for his boneheaded plays that he did almost every shift. One goal doesn't repay a full night **** plays, maybe if it's a series winning goal but not otherwise.

Old
03-24-2012, 09:31 AM
Jeff Shafer
Established: 1987

Send a message via MSN to Jeff Shafer
Here are my thoughts:

Overall a much more intense game from the cats than in Carolina, It was ashame we couldn't get an early goal in the first when we were out playing the oilers. The wolski line played extremely well always getting pressure!

Versteeg was floating almost the entire game and the last ten second breakaway reminded me of another floater we once had (pavel Bure).

Gotta give Edmonton credit those kids don't stop coming at you. The shoot out as always was embarrassing. We need to regroup and get two points against the islanders.

This might just be the game we need. Finally I thought as a whole, the defense did extremely well, from Garrison to weaver playing a whole 1:30 min shift, Jovo made nice plays and everyone including gubs played a physical punishing game. Now all we need to do is have it transition into w's

Old
03-24-2012, 09:50 AM
PBPantherfan
#draft is coming

Quote:
Originally Posted by angry_treefrog View Post
I'm not going to Sundays game, so I'm expecting a convincing win.

As KW said, when you go to the games, a SOL doesn't feel much different than a loss. In a way, it feels even worse.
This. I think a shoot out loss is the worst. Only time it doesn't completely suck Is when they come back from a couple down to at least tie it up.

Old
03-24-2012, 10:13 AM
KW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Shafer View Post
Here are my thoughts:

Overall a much more intense game from the cats than in Carolina, It was ashame we couldn't get an early goal in the first when we were out playing the oilers. The wolski line played extremely well always getting pressure!

Versteeg was floating almost the entire game and the last ten second breakaway reminded me of another floater we once had (pavel Bure).

Gotta give Edmonton credit those kids don't stop coming at you. The shoot out as always was embarrassing. We need to regroup and get two points against the islanders.

This might just be the game we need. Finally I thought as a whole, the defense did extremely well, from Garrison to weaver playing a whole 1:30 min shift, Jovo made nice plays and everyone including gubs played a physical punishing game. Now all we need to do is have it transition into w's
They don't stop coming BECAUSE WE DO NOTHING TO STOP THEM.

That part of hockey is not that hard. Hit somebody every time. Especially if you're 3rd/4th line guy.

Actually there's only one guy who rarely hits (despite a recent highlight reel hit) but whose ability to strip the puck in the corners is so good and whose transition game is amazing, that I don't mind at all. He needs not to hit too much to avoid injury. Campbell. IMO, without any question at all, he's easily this season's MVP. He's our Scott Niedermeyer. He's been that good. Without him we're a lottery team.

Old
03-24-2012, 10:14 AM
adam graves
Panther 20 yr sth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Shafer View Post
Here are my thoughts:

Like Erick, a well thought analysis by someone who watched this and most games.

Old
03-24-2012, 10:15 AM
otimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoupyFIN View Post
Nope, people would still rip steeg for his boneheaded plays that he did almost every shift. One goal doesn't repay a full night **** plays, maybe if it's a series winning goal but not otherwise.
Oh brother, I was at the game and he wasn't floating. First of all the guy set up many opportunities for other players. He comes back from a LBI and hasn't played in a number of games, he's getting back into it again. Most players coming off that kind of injury take time. You're starting to sound like a Leafs fan?? Negitivity hasn't done that team any good either.

Old
03-24-2012, 10:18 AM
adam graves
Panther 20 yr sth

Quote:
Originally Posted by KWGoon View Post
They don't stop coming BECAUSE WE DO NOTHING TO STOP THEM.

That part of hockey is not that hard. Hit somebody every time. Especially if you're 3rd/4th line guy.

Actually there's only one guy who rarely hits (despite a recent highlight reel hit) but whose ability to strip the puck in the corners is so good and whose transition game is amazing, that I don't mind at all. He needs not to hit too much to avoid injury. Campbell. IMO, without any question at all, he's easily this season's MVP. He's our Scott Niedermeyer. He's been that good. Without him we're a lottery team.
Adopt all of this. Gudbranson gets special mention, he made some smashing hits.

And we all commented on Campbell exactly what you said...hes arguablly the one guy that we would completely unravel without, the centerpiece of our team. Tallon is no idiot. And no no no, we dont want Campbell in the corners.

Old
03-24-2012, 10:21 AM
adam graves
Panther 20 yr sth

Quote:
Originally Posted by otimer View Post
Oh brother, I was at the game and he wasn't floating. First of all the guy set up many opportunities for other players. He comes back from a LBI and hasn't played in a number of games, he's getting back into it again. Most players coming off that kind of injury take time. You're starting to sound like a Leafs fan?? Negitivity hasn't done that team any good either.
I dont think he floated either, i do give him credit for playing through an injury that will require surgery.

He weiss and flash were tho all guilty of overpassing, on ice that sucks, instead of a more simple pucks on net, the rebound is the best pass statement etc.

Old
03-24-2012, 10:23 AM
adam graves
Panther 20 yr sth

Quote:
Originally Posted by PBPantherfan View Post
This. I think a shoot out loss is the worst. Only time it doesn't completely suck Is when they come back from a couple down to at least tie it up.
As long as we all realize how important that one point is.

Old
03-24-2012, 10:44 AM
SoupyFIN
Global Moderator
#CatsAren'tComing

vCash: 250000
Quote:
Oh brother, I was at the game and he wasn't floating.
When exactly did I say that he was floating? Oh yea, I didn't. He made boneheaded decisions throughout the night, almost every single shift. Take off your homer glasses if you can't see it.

Quote:
First of all the guy set up many opportunities for other players.
Yea, from the opposing team..

Quote:
He comes back from a LBI and hasn't played in a number of games, he's getting back into it again. Most players coming off that kind of injury take time.
I don't care if it was Saku 'freakin Koivu returning from cancer, if the player looks disinterested out there and loses the puck to the opposing team on almost every chance he gets, he shouldn't be playing.

Nothing against Steeg, but he really needs to sit a game (or two) to learn his lesson.

Quote:
You're starting to sound like a Leafs fan?? Negitivity hasn't done that team any good either.
So, we're all just suppose to pretend that he's playing well and ignore his constant **** decicions on the ice? I'm sorry, maybe you can do it- but I sure as hell can't.

Old
03-24-2012, 11:55 AM
FlaPnthrsPunk
#CatsAreComing

I just watched the game on DVR since I didn't have time to watch it last night. Overall, I can't say I'm very pleased with the effort as I feel like they've been playing too nervous over the last four games. Too many passes in the offensive zone to get the perfect shot off. Just shoot the damn puck. There's no excuse to lose tomorrow's game as they've beaten the Islanders in every game this season and the effort has to be much better. This kind of play is not going to be acceptable in the playoffs against better teams. Not to take away from the Oilers, whom despite being the second worst team in the league have some terrific skill that I see coming in the next few seasons.

I accidentally taped the Oilers broadcast and during the second intermission, they talked about how there's only about 12,000 people in the building which isn't good for the Panthers revenue. Then that led to talking about how Jason Garrison is having a career season and just broke the Panthers defensemen record with that goal. They discussed how he's a UFA in the off-season and will want about $5 million, but with attendance that low, the Panthers can't afford him, so they might be seeing him in Edmonton next season. I know that the announced attendance was 16,214 and there certainly was way less than that as I saw on TV, but who says that he's definitely not signing in Florida? That comment kind of ticked me off.

The good thing is that the Caps lost in overtime and we're one point behind Boston for 2nd in the East. As everyone keeps saying, the team controls their own destiny at this point. Not winning the division IMO is unacceptable at this point.

Old
03-24-2012, 01:05 PM
zeroG

vCash: 540
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick View Post
To you.

I've had a lot of fun rooting for this team and some of the ones feeling down tonight were the same ones who were cheering during our recent 5-game winning streak.

Give me a break. If Versteeg scores on his breakaway, you're not seeing any of these comments right now. You're seeing: "well, not our best effort, but good teams find ways to win!"
yeah, i don't buy that. good teams don't drop the kind of stinkers we drop on a regular basis.

Quote:
It's a team that's been competitive most nights and has found a way to get points unlike the chokers of years' past.

I don't think we've been as "cutesy" as you say, either. We don't have enough skill to be cutesy as often as you say and have it lead to a playoff spot with 8 games left. We've had stretches of games where we've played the right way, too.

As for being bailed out on goaltending some nights: last I checked, goaltending is a significant part of a team, as well. How is that an argument against the team not being "good?"
that wasn't the crux of my argument. i look at the consistency of the team on the ice - the effort and the structure. good teams are consistent. there's no doubt we've had stretches where that's been there. just too many crap games stuck in there where guys are losing races/battles for pucks, skating past rather than stopping on pucks. call it cutesy or whatever you want. it's not the kind of hockey that will win come playoff time.

and while we don't have the top line talent that even the caps have, we have a glut of pretty good NHL players through all 4 lines. to the point where we are sitting 3 guys a night now who'd be playing on most rosters. problem is, many are playing half-assed hockey most nights. dineen looks like a genius as a players coach if the vets pull it together and start playing real hockey here. i thought that's where we were headed during the recent streak but here we are again, watching crap hockey.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laus723 View Post
We weren't outplayed, at all. We beat ourselves again tonight. As KW just said, too much cute crap.
when you're doing cute crap instead of getting your nose dirty, you're being outplayed.

Old
03-24-2012, 01:17 PM
Erick*

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeroG View Post

and while we don't have the top line talent that even the caps have, we have a glut of pretty good NHL players through all 4 lines. to the point where we are sitting 3 guys a night now who'd be playing on most rosters.

yeah, that's not true.

That's just people overrating our roster.

Marco Sturm was viewed as useless on the Canucks and would not be on a good team's roster, realistically. The only reason he was playing consistently here at one point was because of injuries. He's not Marco Sturm in his prime anymore.

Jerred Smithson is good in the faceoff circle and can play a role defensively but he's a very limited player. There's a reason Nashville traded him for nothing basically, despite the fact that they're a playoff team.

Mike Santorelli is useless. He's a top-6 player who puts up 40 points in his best season and becomes a bust on checking lines because he does nothing.

To say all of these guys would be on most NHL rosters is not true.

Our talent is not that great. We win either on a) good efforts or b) good goaltending.

This team wouldn't be 36-24-14 with "cutesy" efforts for the majority of the year. Sorry, that's just false.

At the end of the day, we're scoring 2.42 goals per game, good for 26th in the NHL. A team that gets by on talent scores more goals than that.

Old
03-24-2012, 02:04 PM
zeroG

vCash: 540
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick View Post
yeah, that's not true.

That's just people overrating our roster.

Marco Sturm was viewed as useless on the Canucks and would not be on a good team's roster, realistically. The only reason he was playing consistently here at one point was because of injuries. He's not Marco Sturm in his prime anymore.

Jerred Smithson is good in the faceoff circle and can play a role defensively but he's a very limited player. There's a reason Nashville traded him for nothing basically, despite the fact that they're a playoff team.

Mike Santorelli is useless. He's a top-6 player who puts up 40 points in his best season and becomes a bust on checking lines because he does nothing.

To say all of these guys would be on most NHL rosters is not true.

Our talent is not that great. We win either on a) good efforts or b) good goaltending.

This team wouldn't be 36-24-14 with "cutesy" efforts for the majority of the year. Sorry, that's just false.

At the end of the day, we're scoring 2.42 goals per game, good for 26th in the NHL. A team that gets by on talent scores more goals than that.
i never said we had a very talented team. nowhere in the comment you quoted did i say or suggest that. i said we have a deep team and there's no way to deny that. there are a lot of "limited" players effectively filling roles on rosters (not just ours). sturm's done that, as has madden. smithson's that type of guy too. santo is somewhat limited and hasn't found his role on this year's team. those guys are littered around the league. all of those guys, except madden was on an NHL roster this year so... it is true. i don't care what fans say about this player or that player. we ought to know by now that most guys who can fill a role and are still able to play at this level can be a valuable member of a team somewhere around the league. most fans are not objective or skilled evaluators.

also never said we got by on talent. i'm saying we're an easy team to play against on far too many nights. some of those nights we get points anyway and i think our depth at F, the record production from the blueline and unreal goaltending has been the difference. i've probably missed 10 or so games this year but from what i've seen, we've played "the right way" for 60 minutes in maybe 10-15 games. parts of maybe another 20-30. then you have a ton of duds. some of those, like the philly game, we've still managed points from but not, imo, by virtue of playing good hockey or being a good team. contrast our ratio of "right way" games with the pens or the rangers (much more talented teams, granted). i think there's a huge difference. there aren't many nights those teams are easy to play against. the difference between us and another team that's easy to play against like, say, the isles, could probably be reduced to goaltending and brian campbell.

i'm being a bit provocative here and i hope we're able to turn it on in the playoffs. just saying that, as of right now, we aren't consistently playing a very satisfying brand of hockey.

Old
03-24-2012, 02:24 PM
Laus723
#CatsAreComing

Quote:
when you're doing cute crap instead of getting your nose dirty, you're being outplayed.
By yourselves. Didn't read the rest, not interested.

03-24-2012, 02:40 PM
Erick*

Quote:
i never said we had a very talented team. nowhere in the comment you quoted did i say or suggest that. i said we have a deep team and there's no way to deny that. there are a lot of "limited" players effectively filling roles on rosters (not just ours). sturm's done that, as has madden. smithson's that type of guy too. santo is somewhat limited and hasn't found his role on this year's team. those guys are littered around the league. all of those guys, except madden was on an NHL roster this year so... it is true. i don't care what fans say about this player or that player. we ought to know by now that most guys who can fill a role and are still able to play at this level can be a valuable member of a team somewhere around the league. most fans are not objective or skilled evaluators.

also never said we got by on talent. i'm saying we're an easy team to play against on far too many nights. some of those nights we get points anyway and i think our depth at F, the record production from the blueline and unreal goaltending has been the difference. i've probably missed 10 or so games this year but from what i've seen, we've played "the right way" for 60 minutes in maybe 10-15 games. parts of maybe another 20-30. then you have a ton of duds. some of those, like the philly game, we've still managed points from but not, imo, by virtue of playing good hockey or being a good team. contrast our ratio of "right way" games with the pens or the rangers (much more talented teams, granted). i think there's a huge difference. there aren't many nights those teams are easy to play against. the difference between us and another team that's easy to play against like, say, the isles, could probably be reduced to goaltending and brian campbell.

i'm being a bit provocative here and i hope we're able to turn it on in the playoffs. just saying that, as of right now, we aren't consistently playing a very satisfying brand of hockey.

There's a difference between this team and the Rangers/Pens playing the right way because those teams just so happen to be elite teams with more elite talent. I guess a better example would be the Hitchcock Blues to prove a point.

Either way, I guess it's just a difference of opinion in some games.
For example, the Philly game. We didn't generate much offense, but I actually thought we limited scoring chances that night better than we do on most nights. We kept them to the outside to the point that Jagr even complimented the team, postgame.

That game from Philly was rather similar to some of the games where we've put up 40 shots and yet only had like a handful of scoring chances realistically, imo.

Closed Thread