HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > NHL Draft - Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

NHL Draft - Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

Gralund, Bartschi, or Yakupov?

Old
03-22-2012, 11:11 PM
leafsfuture

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dampland View Post
I'm a Wild fan, but I think Granlund is going to struggle mightily in NHL sized rinks. I'd be surprised if he puts up 10g 20 asst next year
I can understand why you say that. From the little I have seen of him, skating isnt his strong suit, but much like John Tavares, he maybe better on larger ice than small ice because his incredible hockey IQ allows him to use the extra space that the large ice gives.

That being said, if he spends a whole summer preparing for the NHL and smaller ice, you never know what can happen. This kid has hands, and he sees the ice very well.

leafsfuture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2012, 11:15 PM
Roof Daddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames Fanatic View Post
There are crap ton of blue chip prospects that should make the NHL next year.

Next to no defensemen have been named, plus guys from the 2012 draft. Then throw in a couple guys like Coyle, Schwartz, etc...
This guy would have to be a front-runner. Has looked good so far and will have 10 regular season games + who knows how many playoff games under his belt for next year. Probably the most complete player of all the names mentioned, probably gets it done if he pots more than 55pts next year (based on what he brings defensively).

Roof Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2012, 11:17 PM
Billy Mays Here*
#Yeolo'd Too Hard

vCash: 827
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dampland View Post
I'm a Wild fan, but I think Granlund is going to struggle mightily in NHL sized rinks. I'd be surprised if he puts up 10g 20 asst next year
Plus the Wild are always getting injured so I wouldn't doubt if Granlund ends up with a season ending concussion during a pre-season game.

Billy Mays Here* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2012, 02:55 AM
spfan

Next year will be one hell of a rookie class.

Nail Yakupov,Jaden Schwartz,Sven Barschi,Vladimir Tarasenko,Evgeny Kuznetsov,Jonathan Hubderdeau,Dougie Hamilton,Mikhail Grigorenko,Ryan Murray,Ryan Strome,Mika Zibanejad and Mark Scheifele.

Obviously not all of those will play the full season, but those are all possibilities.

spfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2012, 02:57 AM
pouskin74*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paha Arkk1tehti View Post
+Kuznetsov and Tarasenko
Kuznetsov will stays in Russia at least one more year but maybe even more.

pouskin74* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2012, 03:30 AM
weklof

Jakob Silfverberg is not getting enough love in this thread. He's dominating the SEL playoffs at the moment and looks more than ready to step into the NHL and produce right away. He may not be the front runner, but I think he has a good chance.

weklof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2012, 04:22 AM
Billy Mays Here*
#Yeolo'd Too Hard

vCash: 827
Quote:
Originally Posted by spfan View Post
Next year will be one hell of a rookie class.

Nail Yakupov,Jaden Schwartz,Sven Barschi,Vladimir Tarasenko,Evgeny Kuznetsov,Jonathan Hubderdeau,Dougie Hamilton,Mikhail Grigorenko,Ryan Murray,Ryan Strome,Mika Zibanejad and Mark Scheifele.

Obviously not all of those will play the full season, but those are all possibilities.
Seems like you're missing one.

Billy Mays Here* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2012, 08:12 AM
madmike77

It's too tough to tell at this point. No one knows for sure which prospects will be in the NHL and which will be continuing their development.

Granlund seems like a pretty good bet. Minnesota is a bad team and Granlund will almost certainly get into the top 6 and earn plenty of ice time.

Bartschi looked decent in Calgary - however he was playing 3rd line minutes and if that's how the Flames break him in next year it's unlikely he would challenge for the Calder. In my opinion Tanguay or Glencross would need to be moved to open up space for Bartschi in the top 6 and I'm not sure that will happen.

Whoever Edmonton picks should have a chance to get some points.

After that it's tough to tell - largely because I don't know who will make it and who will get immediate top 6 and PP minutes.

madmike77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2012, 08:35 AM
The Magic Man
With God given hands

Ty Rattie - 69gm 57g 64a 121pts

Emerson Etem - 65gm 61g 46a 107 pts

How can these guys be overlooked so much when we are talking about Strome, Huberdeau, Scheifele or even Kuznetsov.

Do people only watch WJC and Youtube? I know scoring in different leagues needs to be taken into consideration, but 60 goals in any league is incredible.

The Magic Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2012, 09:08 AM
tfong
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Naz View Post

How can these guys be overlooked so much when we are talking about Strome, Huberdeau, Scheifele or even Kuznetsov.

Do people only watch WJC and Youtube? I know scoring in different leagues needs to be taken into consideration, but 60 goals in any league is incredible.
I don't think either player will be in the NHL. Etem might but I think both need AHL refining first. The blues have no room in their top six for Rattie.

tfong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2012, 09:14 AM
King In The North
Sean Bennett

Hard to predict; Schenn isn't even considered for the Calder this year

King In The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2012, 09:14 AM
Wondercarrot
Stone, Mr.

Silverberg is polishing up his Swedish Elite league MVP trophy so he can see the reflection of the Calder trophy in it when placed beside it.

havent seen enough of all the guys but after watching Schwartz at the WJC i thought he was the best player for Canada - that guy is an absolute wizard with the puck.
If they play him with a good winger or two i'd actually wtach St Louis play....

Wondercarrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2012, 09:18 AM
madmike77

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfong View Post
I don't think either player will be in the NHL. Etem might but I think both need AHL refining first. The blues have no room in their top six for Rattie.
I agree. Really when you're looking at the Calder, rookies with bad teams have a better chance than rookies with good teams. It doesn't necessarily mean they're better players - but it does mean they are likely to get more top-6 and PP minutes and more points.

madmike77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2012, 12:00 PM
jebs

I expect Huberdeau, if given the right situation, to score 60+ points.

jebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2012, 12:05 PM
grN1g

as stated earlier, im a wild fan also and feel granlund will have a decent season, but wont be in calder talks.

first season i think 30-40 pts and a PP producer is about right.

my guess? scheifele.

grN1g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2012, 01:02 PM
AmericanDream
Puck You

Quote:

two of my favorite prospects..

but to be fair, I think they both will make their case in 2 years not next year. Palmieri has taken some time to get into the role he has, and the Ducks still have a very solid top 6 if Selanne sticks...not sure Etem gets a full shot next year.

Rattie has been a player I have enjoyed watching for some time. the kid amazed me 2 years back, and is still doing so now. he will be a solid NHLer, but in 2 years as well. the Blues have some serious depth, but I can see them moving a guy like Steen to make some room in a year or so...plus Langenbrunner will be gone which could open up some room. but Schwartz is the first player to take a spot full-time imo.

AmericanDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2012, 01:10 PM
frederixx

i really like Huberdeau...

I'll go with Nyquist as the dark horse

frederixx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2012, 01:47 PM
CanucksBen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabba11 View Post
Why is everybody talking about Kuznetsov? He ain't coming to NA next year.

It's going to be Jonathan Huberdeau.
This

CanucksBen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2012, 03:09 PM
Kevin8se7en
Unregistered User

1. Yakupov
2. Silfverberg
3. Huberdeau
4. Ryan Ellis

Yeah Silfverberg is a bit of a homer pick, but its also based on the idea of him playing 1st line with Spezza and Michalek all year. I mean, Colin Greening is 4th in rookie scoring (at least he was last time I checked) and he's nowhere near as good as Silfverberg. If Silfverberg doesn't play top line then he has no chance IMO.

Same with Ellis... If Suter leaves then he has a shot. If not, he has none.

Note: Single season for the Calder only. No way does this mean he's going to better than guys like Grunlund after this upcoming season.

Kevin8se7en is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2012, 03:12 PM
SirPaste
#HitchGonnaHitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanDream View Post
two of my favorite prospects..

but to be fair, I think they both will make their case in 2 years not next year. Palmieri has taken some time to get into the role he has, and the Ducks still have a very solid top 6 if Selanne sticks...not sure Etem gets a full shot next year.

Rattie has been a player I have enjoyed watching for some time. the kid amazed me 2 years back, and is still doing so now. he will be a solid NHLer, but in 2 years as well. the Blues have some serious depth, but I can see them moving a guy like Steen to make some room in a year or so...plus Langenbrunner will be gone which could open up some room. but Schwartz is the first player to take a spot full-time imo.
Steen is one of the last guys that would be moved, but you are correct in that there will be no room for Rattie next year.

SirPaste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2012, 03:13 PM
AmericanDream
Puck You

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirPaste View Post
Steen is one of the last guys that would be moved, but you are correct in that there will be no room for Rattie next year.
I only used him because the team is doing well without him and he could become available to make room for some young guys.

I dont expect him to move, but he would be more likely then some of the other guys in the top 6 imo.

AmericanDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2012, 03:42 PM
GetThePuckOut

I think it will be Granlund or Bartschi.

I don't think Granlund will struggle on smaller ice; he's a smart player, he'll make a good safe pass whenever he's under pressure. He doesn't need that much time.

Bartschi has proven he can score, now it's just a matter of getting the minutes. He'll likely be on the third line for the most part, but will probably see periods in the top 6 if he's playing well. Calgary has always been a team that mixes up the lines, so he should be getting his chances if he's playing well.

GetThePuckOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2012, 04:04 PM
heksagon

Yakupov, Huberdeau, Granlund and Silfverberg are obvious picks, all of them have potential to have really good rookie seasons.

But I'll throw in a dark horse candidate: Sami Vatanen.

Many Finnish prospects seem to be slightly overhyped, but Vatanen doesn't get that much recognition here other than from Finns/Ducks fans. With the way he has been playing this season (dominating in the FEL lately) I could see him cracking the Anaheim's blueline and making some noise next season.

heksagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2012, 07:53 PM
spfan

Quote:

Both were great this year, but i don't see St. Louis having Rattie in their lineup next year as they can be patient, especially with Tarasenko and Schwartz who are older and most likely to play full time next year.

I don't see Etem having a huge impact in his rookie year and i don't think he has as big of upside as the others, but he'll be a good player. I think he might spend a year in the AHL first too. I think it'll benefit him.

spfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2012, 08:07 PM
canucksPK

Cory Conacher

canucksPK is offline   Reply With Quote