HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Re-Throning the Kings [ESPN]

Old
03-21-2012, 08:27 PM
Sybil227

vCash: 500
Re-Throning the Kings [ESPN]

ESPN article, "Re-Throning the Kings", submitted for your perusal:
http://www.grantland.com/blog/the-tr...g-of-the-kings

Sybil227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 08:40 PM
reset
Puck Luck

awesome read... even if its from simmons

reset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 09:24 PM
Kings man 4 life

Dear God first post in the comments section pissy Philly fan, don't they have anything better to do?

Kings man 4 life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 10:11 PM
TonySCV
Two Timer!

Great article.

TonySCV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 10:54 PM
Nose of Sutter

28 games in 28 days at Staples, wow.

Nose of Sutter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 11:15 PM
Fishhead

Anze is Yugoslavian, hmm. Who knew?

Fishhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 11:26 PM
JBernierFan
Drink up!

Not to be picky, but did it bug anyone else he wrote it Kopie and not Kopi? I couldn't focus on the article every time I saw it! Also, shouldn't it be a cherry Icee and not a cheery Icee? LOL Maybe not.

JBernierFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 11:38 PM
Fishhead

I doubt he has been to nearly as many games as he claims. TM wasn't fired a 'few weeks ago', Kopitar is from Slovenia, and if you don't notice Jack, well you aren't watching. He either is pushing the play, or making a big screw up - but unnoticeable is something he is not.

He does admit he is a casual fan, and the article was a good try, I guess. ESPN used to have such a fantastic hockey crew that when I see them publish stuff like this its depressing.

Old
03-21-2012, 11:41 PM
DryIslandBartender
KCCO

Damn looking at the comment section, Flyer fans are really jilted lovers.

DryIslandBartender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 11:53 PM
Thrice
Coyote Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishhead View Post
Anze is Yugoslavian, hmm. Who knew?
You may want to read this...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_Slovenia

Thrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2012, 12:24 AM
Fishhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrice View Post
I'm aware of European history and the dissolution of Yugoslavia, but it doesn't change the fact that Anze is one of the more popular Slovene names. There was never a language called Yugoslavian. Even when it was Yugoslavia, they spoke Serbian, Macedonian, Slovene, Croat, and Bosnian for the most part.

My wife's grandmother is Austrian, but born in Czechoslovakia because of how the borders were shifting at the time. If you call her Czech she will throw a pan at you. I'm not sure if it is insulting to refer to a Slovenian as Yugoslavian, maybe one of the Slovenian posters could comment on this.

Old
03-22-2012, 12:42 AM
TheSlovenian

Quote:
I'm aware of European history and the dissolution of Yugoslavia, but it doesn't change the fact that Anze is one of the more popular Slovene names. There was never a language called Yugoslavian. Even when it was Yugoslavia, they spoke Serbian, Macedonian, Slovene, Croat, and Bosnian for the most part.

My wife's grandmother is Austrian, but born in Czechoslovakia because of how the borders were shifting at the time. If you call her Czech she will throw a pan at you. I'm not sure if it is insulting to refer to a Slovenian as Yugoslavian, maybe one of the Slovenian posters could comment on this.
Well, I was born in 1989 (before dissolution of Yugoslavia) and was NEVER called Yugoslavian. Never in my life. Always Slovenian and so is Kopi. But I don't think it's insulting but rather strange. That country is gone!

TheSlovenian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2012, 02:40 AM
likid

As the one who lived most of his youth in EX-Yugoslavia (was 14 when our independence happened) I can tell you, that most of older people see EX-Yougoslavia with nostalgia. And generaly we are not so upset, if somebody would call us Yugoslavian, because before this dreadful war many people were feeling that way and despite everything what happened after many still feel now that way.

Right now we as Slovenians are much more upset if somebody called us Slovak. But not because we are angry at them or having any issue with them. It is just that to many times it happened. But offcourse lots of guilt is on us - similar name, almost identical flag... and for usual person it is hard to see the difference.

likid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2012, 03:23 AM
TheSlovenian

Quote:
Originally Posted by likid View Post
As the one who lived most of his youth in EX-Yugoslavia (was 14 when our independence happened) I can tell you, that most of older people see EX-Yougoslavia with nostalgia. And generaly we are not so upset, if somebody would call us Yugoslavian, because before this dreadful war many people were feeling that way and despite everything what happened after many still feel now that way.

Right now we as Slovenians are much more upset if somebody called us Slovak. But not because we are angry at them or having any issue with them. It is just that to many times it happened. But offcourse lots of guilt is on us - similar name, almost identical flag... and for usual person it is hard to see the difference.
That is true. Some people remember Yugoslavia with joy (like my parents). "Brotherhood and unity" was the slogan and people were happy.

I don't like people mistake us for Slovakia .

TheSlovenian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2012, 09:45 AM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

When were we 'Throned'? Did I miss it?

kingsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2012, 11:48 AM
Perro

Entertaining to see what the game is like through the eyes of a new fan.

Perro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2012, 01:44 PM
The Butcher
Gutless

Quote:
I doubt he has been to nearly as many games as he claims. TM wasn't fired a 'few weeks ago', Kopitar is from Slovenia, and if you don't notice Jack, well you aren't watching. He either is pushing the play, or making a big screw up - but unnoticeable is something he is not.

He does admit he is a casual fan, and the article was a good try, I guess. ESPN used to have such a fantastic hockey crew that when I see them publish stuff like this its depressing.
This.

I also remember the great writers at ESPN. Maybe I'm just bitter but I find the article a bit condescending. Kinda like "hey guys, look at this cute little niche sport I discovered".

Screw you, ESPN. It turns out our sport is better off without you.

The Butcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2012, 02:01 PM
Buddy The Elf
Kings!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsfan View Post
When were we 'Throned'? Did I miss it?
I was sitting on the throne when I read the artical. Does that count?

Buddy The Elf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2012, 02:17 PM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddy The Elf View Post
I was sitting on the throne when I read the artical. Does that count?
Seems like that was a good place to be, based on the article in question.

kingsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2012, 02:29 PM
Kurrilino
Go Stoll Go

Send a message via MSN to Kurrilino
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sybil227 View Post
ESPN article, "Re-Throning the Kings", submitted for your perusal:
http://www.grantland.com/blog/the-tr...g-of-the-kings
THIS IS AN AWSOME AVATAR !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Kurrilino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2012, 03:05 PM
Sybil227

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurrilino View Post
THIS IS AN AWSOME AVATAR !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks. Full credit to drugold:
http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...9&postcount=86

Sybil227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2012, 03:10 PM
Pucknut50

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBernierFan View Post
Not to be picky, but did it bug anyone else he wrote it Kopie and not Kopi? I couldn't focus on the article every time I saw it! Also, shouldn't it be a cherry Icee and not a cheery Icee? LOL Maybe not.
JBernier the term is "Anal"

Pucknut50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2012, 03:18 PM
Amateur Hour

Quote:
Originally Posted by BerniernextRoy View Post
Damn looking at the comment section, Flyer fans are really jilted lovers.
Some are, sure, but they're mostly the fans who are reactionary and emotional instead of level-headed and rational. Any Flyers fan who doesn't have his/her head up his/her ass and cheers for the crest on the front of the jersey rather than the name on the back knows the Richards and Carter trades were A) necessary and B) yielded hauls that set the team up very favorably for the future. Hell, I think the Carter trade will one day be mentioned in the same breath as Recchi for Desjardins and LeClair.

I'm rooting for you guys to make the playoffs, if only so I can read your reactions when Jeff Carter completely disappears and/or ***** his pants. Also because I still like Richards and have always been a Kopitar and Quick admirer from afar. Best of luck as the regular season winds down.

Last edited by Amateur Hour: 03-22-2012 at 03:34 PM.
Amateur Hour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2012, 03:23 PM
The Butcher
Gutless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amateur Hour View Post
Some are, sure, but they're mostly the fans who are reactionary and emotional instead of level-headed and rational. Any Flyers fan who doesn't have his/her head up his ass and cheers for the crest on the front rather of the jersey than the name on the back knows the Richards and Carter trades were A) necessary and B) yielded hauls that set the team up very favorably for the future. Hell, I think the Carter trade will one day be mentioned in the same breath as Recchi for Desjardins and LeClair.

I'm rooting for you guys to make the playoffs, if only so I can read your reactions when Jeff Carter completely disappears and/or ***** his pants. Also because I still like Richards and have always been a Kopitar and Quick admirer from afar. Best of luck as the regular season winds down.
Cool. See you then, bud.

The Butcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2012, 03:33 PM
Buddy The Elf
Kings!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amateur Hour View Post
Some are, sure, but they're mostly the fans who are reactionary and emotional instead of level-headed and rational. Any Flyers fan who doesn't have his/her head up his ass and cheers for the crest on the front rather of the jersey than the name on the back knows the Richards and Carter trades were A) necessary and B) yielded hauls that set the team up very favorably for the future. Hell, I think the Carter trade will one day be mentioned in the same breath as Recchi for Desjardins and LeClair.

You guys are a more bitter bunch than Kings fans it seems. When I read the comments on the article, there most be 5+ comments of "enjoy, Carter when he disappears in the playoffs". As fans of a much more miserable team that Philadelphia, I will say "thank you, we will enjoy Carter IF the Kings make the playoffs because that will be much more enjoyable than NOT watching playoff hockey". Beggars can't be choosers and the Kings don't have a talent like Carter in the system nor are the going to be able to sign someone like him. We will gladly take him and his lousy playoff performances. There are 22 other players on the roster. He is one cog in the machine. I say to you and all of you bitter ex-gf Flyer fans, past performance doesn't guarantee future results. Nobody knows how Carter will perform in the future, you included.

I just find it funny that there is an article about the Kings and a bunch of bitter Philly fans feel the need to come rain on our parade. Maybe I ought to find a article about how Philly be paying Chris Pronger to sit on the couch and Ilya "the enigma" Bryzgalov for the next 5+ years?

Who knows, maybe, just maybe Richards and Carter actually learned soemthing after being dumped by their former team. Now maybe they have something to prove? Maybe they matured a little since their Dry Island fantasy. BTW.. Wayne Simmonds was rumored to have similar issues as those two but I doubt you have droves of Kings fans lining up to inform you of that.

Buddy The Elf is online now   Reply With Quote