HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Sports > Mixed Martial Arts
Mixed Martial Arts UFC, Bellator, HDNet Fights, WSOF, MFC, KOTC, One FC, and others

UFC on Fuel: Gustafsson vs Silva

Old
04-14-2012, 05:05 PM
AE

vCash: 500
Love how the crowd used my favorite hockey chant, "slå han på käften".. classic

AE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2012, 05:23 PM
ck26
Alcoholab User

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by AE View Post
"slå han på käften"...
What does this mean ???

I was stunned by the Bahadurzada / Thiago fight ... really enjoyed the first two rounds of Swedish Mauler vs Brazilian Mauler but thought it petered out a bit at the end. Overall, a B or B+ for a free card. Curious to see how high the ceiling for the winners of the three big fights is.

730AM ... time to go to bed

ck26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2012, 05:59 PM
Avs_19
Peter the Great

vCash: 645
Gustafsson looked like a 6'5 205 lb version of Dominik Cruz out there. Completely controlled the fight from start to finish. Great movement.

Everyone knew this was a tough fight for Thiago and even though it was all Gustafsson, I thought he still did well. He landed some decent shots and kept coming forward even though it wasn't his night. If healthy and on top of his game, I think he can beat most of the LHWs in the UFC.

Avs_19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2012, 06:39 PM
m9

it will be interesting to see what's next for Gustafsson. Him against Henderson would be perfect, although Henderson passes on that fight I'm sure.

If Bader has nothing lined up yet, maybe that's the fight to make next.

As for Silva, I'm not sure. Maybe you see him fight Shogun with Phil Davis fighting Machida. Or switch any of those names.

m9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2012, 08:06 PM
colonel_korn
Luuuuuuuuuu....lay?

Quote:
Originally Posted by m9 View Post
it will be interesting to see what's next for Gustafsson. Him against Henderson would be perfect, although Henderson passes on that fight I'm sure.

If Bader has nothing lined up yet, maybe that's the fight to make next.
I'd love to see him fight Shogun or Lyoto, but that's probably not good matchmaking because either of those guys winning does nothing for the UFC.

colonel_korn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2012, 08:53 PM
DeathFromAbove

Good showing by Gustafsson but I thought he looked timid. There was a few points where he had Thiago against the ropes and didn't close in for the kill.

DeathFromAbove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2012, 03:51 PM
Peter Griffin

If anything was said during the broadcast I didn't catch it, but was there any explanation for why the main event wasn't 5 rounds? I thought after the Sanchez/Ellenberger fight they were all main events were going to be 5 rounds?

As for Mauler's next opponent, I agree that Bader probably makes most sense. His only loss came against a strong wrestler in Davis so it will be interesting to see how he'd do against another wrestler in Bader. Or maybe they just do the 'lil Nog fight.

Last edited by Peter Griffin: 04-15-2012 at 03:56 PM.
Peter Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2012, 03:52 PM
DeathFromAbove

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Griffin View Post
If anything was said during the broadcast I didn't catch it, but was there any explanation for why the main event wasn't 5 rounds? I thought after the Sanchez/Ellenberger fight they were all main events were going to be 5 rounds?
I read online that Swedish regulation doesn't allow 5 rounds, but Dana said on Twitter that it was because Thiago Silva was a late replacement.

DeathFromAbove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2012, 04:00 PM
Peter Griffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathFromAbove View Post
I read online that Swedish regulation doesn't allow 5 rounds, but Dana said on Twitter that it was because Thiago Silva was a late replacement.
Ah right, that makes total sense. Thanks. And it looks like the Uncle Creepy/Mighty Mouse card won't be a 5 rounder either as it will be fought under the same guidelines as their 1st fight.

Peter Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2012, 08:17 PM
Fanpuck33

Quote:
Also, I believe the fight was already signed before the proclamation that all main events would be 5 rounds regardless of the size of the event.

Fanpuck33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2012, 02:44 AM
Gene Parmesan
Ball-So-Hard-U

Quote:
Good showing by Gustafsson but I thought he looked timid. There was a few points where he had Thiago against the ropes and didn't close in for the kill.
He was wary of Silva's power all night. Thiago isn't a guy you want try and brawl with. I was impressed with Gustafssons poise, I thought he'd oblige Thiago in a slugfest but chose to just use his footwork and reach and got the win.

Gene Parmesan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2012, 06:11 PM
Boris Le Tigre
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Griffin View Post
Ah right, that makes total sense. Thanks. And it looks like the Uncle Creepy/Mighty Mouse card won't be a 5 rounder either as it will be fought under the same guidelines as their 1st fight.
That is disappointing considering how close the match-up was the first time. Plus these bantam-weights are so small that one of them will need to get lucky to knock the other out. Really looking forward to these two going at it again, regardless.

Boris Le Tigre is offline   Reply With Quote