HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Joey Mormina

Closed Thread

Old
11-24-2004, 01:05 PM
Inertiatic

vCash: 500
Joey Mormina

Hey guys,

I've been trying to follow Mormina's career for a little while now since I have a personal tie to him. He major flaws in the past were that he wasn't physical despite his size. Is this still true this season? How is he progressing? I noticed he didn't crack the top 20 prospect list, so I'm hoping that is saying more about the Flyers depth than his progression.

Another knock was that he wasn't big enough in his frame. I know that he had been working out extensively over the summer so hopefully with time, comes some additional weight.

Any information or opinion would be greatly appreciated. Thanks a lot guys.

Old
11-24-2004, 01:18 PM
Grant Dovey

Send a message via ICQ to Grant Dovey Send a message via AIM to Grant Dovey Send a message via MSN to Grant Dovey Send a message via Yahoo to Grant Dovey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inertiatic
Hey guys,

I've been trying to follow Mormina's career for a little while now since I have a personal tie to him. He major flaws in the past were that he wasn't physical despite his size. Is this still true this season? How is he progressing? I noticed he didn't crack the top 20 prospect list, so I'm hoping that is saying more about the Flyers depth than his progression.

Another knock was that he wasn't big enough in his frame. I know that he had been working out extensively over the summer so hopefully with time, comes some additional weight.

Any information or opinion would be greatly appreciated. Thanks a lot guys.
Inertiatic,
You can follow this years season by going on this http://www.orangeandblack.net/prospects/mormina.htm
He is a very big leader on that Colgate team. His flaw is still being to weak and soft. I talked to his coach a few times last year and it was very evident that everyday he is reminded about it. He is one of the those defenseman who does not score, but has a solid presence on the ice. He easily logs the most minutes on the team and you can use him in EVERY situation.

Old
11-24-2004, 01:31 PM
Inertiatic

Thanks for the info. Do you anticipate him cracking the Flyers lineup in a couple seasons? He certainly has the size to do so, and I'd think on a team that emphasizes size and touhgness, he'd get the nod before a smaller defenseman.

Old
11-24-2004, 06:10 PM
RoDu
Shagga likes axes

Big guy, but plays weak and soft. Remind anyone of Therian?

Old
11-24-2004, 10:43 PM
flyersrock1

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyerfanofthepeg
Big guy, but plays weak and soft. Remind anyone of Therian?
The man played over 700 NHL games as a Flyer on some good teams so he was not all that bad. But yea he never did use his size.

Old
11-24-2004, 10:54 PM
Blindside9711

Send a message via MSN to Blindside9711
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyersrock1
The man played over 700 NHL games as a Flyer on some good teams so he was not all that bad. But yea he never did use his size.
He played over 700 NHL games, but only showed up in games against Jagr... We should have only paid him for 10ish games out of those 700. The rest, he was a bum.
If there's one squad that can make a guy more physical, it's Philly. Chris McAllister had the reputation of being soft, despite resembling the jolly green giant. He comes to Philly and is made into a beast of an enforcer... until Preems broke his nose, then the lamb came back. Sami Kapanen... 'nuff said. The list goes on, but if Mormina needs to learn some grit, he's in the right organization.

Old
11-26-2004, 12:53 PM
Grant Dovey

Send a message via ICQ to Grant Dovey Send a message via AIM to Grant Dovey Send a message via MSN to Grant Dovey Send a message via Yahoo to Grant Dovey
I don't see him cracking into the NHL. He still isn't signed and I am not sure how much interest they have in him. How do you know him?

Old
11-26-2004, 01:32 PM
MojoJojo

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyersrock1
Therien got a bad rap. I wasnt too sad to see him go in the end (since his play had gotten pretty lousy), but he had a great run in Philly. He was a good defensive defenseman for many, many years. I think he got far too much criticism than he really deserved.

Old
11-26-2004, 04:03 PM
Toonces
The beer kitty

Quote:
Originally Posted by MojoJojo
Therien got a bad rap. I wasnt too sad to see him go in the end (since his play had gotten pretty lousy), but he had a great run in Philly. He was a good defensive defenseman for many, many years. I think he got far too much criticism than he really deserved.
I think Desjardins covered up alot of Therien's mistakes.

Old
11-26-2004, 10:17 PM
flyersrock1

Quote:
Originally Posted by MojoJojo
As I said above any player that played over 700 games AS a Flyer could not of been a bum. If he was why are we Philly fans. He was a good # 5-7 D-man. If he would of used his size he would of been a great #3. As for Eric covering up for him, Desjardins is a good D-man but no that good that he is able to cover up for his partner. Maybe a shift or game or two but not 700.

Old
11-27-2004, 10:58 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5888
Chris Therien is a good 6-7 d-man. He is not a good #2 d-man which is what he was being used as throughout the late 90's

I don't know a lot about Mormina but if he is big and soft then I highly doubt he will make it at all. If he can be a guy who flips up and down from the NHL and AHL then I think that would be rational.

Last edited by GKJ: 11-27-2004 at 11:09 AM.
Old
11-28-2004, 11:27 PM
flyersrock1

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson
Chris Therien is a good 6-7 d-man. He is not a good #2 d-man which is what he was being used as throughout the late 90's

I don't know a lot about Mormina but if he is big and soft then I highly doubt he will make it at all. If he can be a guy who flips up and down from the NHL and AHL then I think that would be rational.
Chris was never used as a # 2 D-man. He was a great 5-7 man. And that was what he was used as. AND I WOULD TAKE HIM BACK IN MIN AS A 5-7 man

Closed Thread