HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Notices

Have you gone to see the Sharks away from home?

Old
02-10-2013, 09:54 PM
tattooedsean
Hockey Maniac!

vCash: 500
Have you gone to see the Sharks away from home?

To me, it is almost more fun to root for your team away from home when the team has to step it up against the home team and their loud supporters.

I am curious. Have you ever gone to see the Sharks away from home? Which arenas have you seen them play in? What was the atmosphere like there? How were you treated by the home supporters? Which cities were cool and which were similar to how New York looked like in the movie- Escape from NY?

Any stories?

tattooedsean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 10:09 PM
VP and GM
Havlat Sucks!

my first will in at Pepsi Center/Denver in March.

VP and GM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 10:20 PM
Mafoofoo
Hockey

I've seen them in Buffalo and since I'm in LA I'll probably see them in Anaheim and LA. Buffalo was a ton of fun and everyone was super nice. Also Tim hortons....

Mafoofoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 10:28 PM
rbarker26

I've never seen the sharks play away, but I have been trying for the last couple of years. Hard/expensive to travel when I'm still in school. I agree, I feel like watching your team play away is awesome. Hopefully this season I can catch them in anaheim during spring break

rbarker26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 10:36 PM
Squeeven

I've seen them in Buffalo and in Toronto. In Buffalo they lost 6-3 and in Toronto they won 2-1. Buffalo the people were pretty nice, nobody gave me **** and Toronto there were actually a lot of Sharks fans which was surprising so that was fun too. I live in Toronto so I didn't have to do much travelling for either.

Squeeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 10:39 PM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

I've seen them in Vancouver. Does that count?

Oh, and Anaheim too. Infestation!

"Do you know what "nemesis" means? A righteous infliction of retribution manifested by an appropriate agent."
13-14 Sharks CI Feed Tracker: 82 GP |29-39-14 (SJ-Opponent-Van/Nat'l)
www.bluejayshipsters.com We liked the Blue Jays before it was cool.
Sorry, I am not taking signature requests at this time.
The Nemesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 10:41 PM
ChompChomp
SACK T-MAC

Been living in Dallas since Nov 09, so yeah, seen Sharks at Stars now many times. Most Stars fans are good to us. Most engage in light smack talk, almost always with a smile.

Don't know how a playoff road game would be, kinda scares me. I remember Sharks home games and opposing fans trying to start fights after games (or Sharks fans trying to start fights with them). Now having gone to Sharks at Stars many times, I have this general rule about road games:

There is no higher feeling than watching the Sharks win a road game in person, but likewise there is no worse feeling than watching the Sharks lose a road game in person.

I've mentioned here how jacked I was last April when the Sharks won that game in Dallas. It may be my favorite regular season win I attended in person. Not only were the stakes high (it was, in essence, a playoff game), but being in enemy territory sticking it to them just makes it even sweeter.

FYI, there is another thread I have on this, but we have a group game in Dallas on 4/13. PM me or check that thread for details, you can buy tix now!

ChompChomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 10:41 PM
OffSydes

A few times in Anaheim when I was living in San Diego.. But those are more neutral site than they are away games.

OffSydes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 10:48 PM
Iron Chef

My fiancee and I are on a mission to see the Sharks play in every NHL arena before we die. So far we've been to:

Anaheim - worst fan base I've ever encountered. Shark Infestation Trip.

LA - Friendly jabs, but not aggressive like Ducks fans. Went for Game 4 of the 2012 QWCF

Vancouver - Surprisingly amazing fans. They were genuinely happy that we came all the way from SJ. Even though we wore our Sharks gear around the city (this was the season after we lost to the Canucks in the WCF), they were all very kind. Its significantly cheaper (and more fun) to fly to Seattle, then take 4 hour train ride to Vancouver along the coast. We ended up staying in Seattle on New Years Eve and got to watch the iconic fireworks celebration at the Space Needle. Something I'll never forget

Washington DC - Caps fans are so amazing. If you think they sound great on TV, wait till you got watch a game there. Every single fan cheers, its unbelievable. Lots of great places to eat. There's that White House place too.

Boston - Another great hockey town. We got a few friendly jabs, but all in good fun. They are willing to take it as much as they dish it. So much history in Boston and great eats. I had one of the top 5 meals of my life in Boston.

Overall, our adventures have been amazing. We've learned that as long as you focus on cheering for your team and not putting down the home team, it's great to go to road games.

We're thinking. As much as I hate the tennis road trip, it's a shame its ending this year. We would have loved to spend our honey moon travelling with the team on that trip.

Iron Chef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 11:27 PM
bluefunnel
HFBoards Sponsor

I saw them in Nashville in 2002 during a sixth month period that I was living in Tennessee.

We got to see Cheechoo's first NHL goal and a nice Kyle McLaren hip check. Kipprusoff was in net since Nabby was still a contract holdout(though he had traveled with the team). I was close to getting a Ricci autograph but was unaware that he was five feet behind me.

We met another nice Sharks' fan couple from Mississipi but I was stupid and didn't give them a way to get in contact with us.

bluefunnel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 11:42 PM
RexFeral
Registered Boozer

Philly twice, DC thrice, Raleigh(Met John McCarthy and his folks during 2nd intermission).

RexFeral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 01:11 AM
sharkfan95
Stalock is the best

I watched the Sharks in Vancouver! great game. Saw Handguns pot the shootout winner. Canuck fans are fine

sharkfan95 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 01:12 AM
SharksFan1

vCash: 50
Phoenix once, it was the game they lost 0-8 .

LA once, and now I go to almost all of my games in Anaheim since I live in OC now. The crowd there is quieter that the Tank and there are quite a few empty sets. The fans are nice enough for the most part. Unfortunately the Ducks seems to have the Sharks number the past few years. Sharks are probably 1-6 for games I've been to down here, include a loss in the playoffs when the Ducks knocked them out in the first round.

I'm convinced I'm bad luck at away arenas.

SharksFan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 01:22 AM
one2gamble

Dallas, Anaheim and Phoenix. Had a great time in both places. I loved that the yard house is like 20 yards from the entrance in Phoenix.

one2gamble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 01:43 AM
Tw1ster

I've only ever seen them play in Vancouver. Out of the 5 times I've never seen them win and last time a guy was trying to pick a fight with me on the bus after the game. He said vancouver won the cup over Boston.....I just couldn't let it pass

Tw1ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 01:57 AM
Lebanezer

I've seen them play the at the Rangers, Devils, Islanders, Bruins (Joe's first game back when he was tossed after 2 minutes), Flyers, Capitals, Kings and Coyotes.

Best fans easily were in Boston. They were all very nice and were all over Chris Rooney after he tossed Joe.

At the Capitals game I actually sat next to Mervin Cheechoo and some friends of the Cheechoo family. Cheech scored the shootout winner and Mervin was ecstatic.

Worst fan was in Philadelphia. She was two seats over from my brother and I and when we stood up to cheer a goal she started screaming, "not in my ****ing section." It was very pleasant.

MSG also has some nasty fans. They made very vulgar comments constantly, especially about Havlat.

Nassau is so old, gross, and impossible to get to without a car. Fans were cool though. Burns scored the OT winner in that one.

Hope to see them play in Chicago next, maybe St. Louis or Denver after that. All in due time.

Lebanezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 02:09 AM
tattooedsean
Hockey Maniac!

To those that have been to some especially those trying to hit up every arena, I am attempting that as well.

I definitely liked it when the West was guaranteed to play the Eastern teams twice so you knew you would play everyone at least once away each season.

I have seen the Sharks a bunch of times in Phoenix including in the playoffs when the Coyotes still played downtown at the arena they shared with the Suns.

tattooedsean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 07:28 AM
CupfortheSharks

I went on all 3 bus trips to Anahiem. I've also seen them in LA twice. I had fun at every game.

CupfortheSharks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 07:38 AM
Dusk Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeeven View Post
I've seen them in Buffalo and in Toronto. In Buffalo they lost 6-3 and in Toronto they won 2-1. Buffalo the people were pretty nice, nobody gave me **** and Toronto there were actually a lot of Sharks fans which was surprising so that was fun too. I live in Toronto so I didn't have to do much travelling for either.
I was at this game too.

Dusk Soldier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 08:05 AM
ScottyDont

vCash: 900
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lebanezer View Post
Worst fan was in Philadelphia. She was two seats over from my brother and I and when we stood up to cheer a goal she started screaming, "not in my ****ing section." It was very pleasant.
I live in Philly now... that's the general experience from most of their fans if you get up and cheer everytime I've gone to a game.

ScottyDont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 08:19 AM

I've seen the Sharks in Boston. I wore a Bruins jersey. I'm guessing this doesn't count.

210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 08:29 AM
Alaskanice

My wife and I went to see the Sharks play the Kings at the Forum. The Kings were terrible then and there were very few fans. We won 2-0 and the fans who were there gave us a slight ribbing but in good fun. In the airport, we ran into DW and CJ. They were waiting for their flight, nobody else was around and they actually flagged us down and talked to us for about 20 minutes. That was better than the game!!
We also went to Vancouver to the Olympics and saw some of the Sharks players. We were standing in line and amazingly enough, we saw DW again!! He actually recognized us first. It was rather cool to have him pick us out of the crowd like that.

Alaskanice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 08:48 AM
beertelescope

Quote:
Originally Posted by VP and GM View Post
my first will in at Pepsi Center/Denver in March.
This very same game will actually be my first time seeing them on the road, too.

beertelescope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 09:01 AM
SpinTheBlackCircle
Global Moderator
It's time!

Anaheim
LA
Chicago
Columbus
Detroit
Nashville
St Louis

02-11-2013, 09:14 AM
RexFeral
Registered Boozer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottyDont View Post
I live in Philly now... that's the general experience from most of their fans if you get up and cheer everytime I've gone to a game.
I went there twice for the 7-6/8-7? SO game and the year after 3/4-1 game with little to no problems at all. Stood up and cheered, wore a jersey, taunted the 11 year-olds behind me (Their parents thought I was mildly funny).

RexFeral is offline   Reply With Quote