HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2012 NHL Entry Draft Talk 6.0

Closed Thread

Old
03-25-2012, 08:36 PM
Beakermania*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beendair Donedat View Post
He's a young kid playing on a good team. He only turns 18 today actually. I think that he's been pigeon holed a bit into a third line role, but I think he will emerge over the summer in a big way. Guess we will have to agree to disagree.
Sure you pick the 18 year old with 9 goals in the OHL.

I'll take the kid who turned 18 yesterday and scored 36 goals and was a PPG in the WHL in Bozon

Old
03-25-2012, 08:44 PM
Halifaxhab*

Quote:
He's a young kid playing on a good team. He only turns 18 today actually. I think that he's been pigeon holed a bit into a third line role, but I think he will emerge over the summer in a big way. Guess we will have to agree to disagree.
I see him as a slightly better Blunden. Blunden was in a 2nd line role. Had the size and "grit" Wilson has.

If Wilson is available with the NSH pick I say go for it. But with ours I have a good feeling a couple of solid players could slide down to it (Hertl/Frk as examples)

Old
03-25-2012, 08:46 PM
Halifaxhab*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commandant View Post
Sure you pick the 18 year old with 9 goals in the OHL.

I'll take the kid who turned 18 yesterday and scored 36 goals and was a PPG in the WHL in Bozon
I would take Bozon over wilson as well. It's not like Bozun is a tiny little smurf either

Old
03-25-2012, 08:49 PM
Fozz

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
Nope. Wilson is ours in the 2nd.
I'm not really that interested in Wilson. There's not much talent there and those that are hoping for another version of Lucic will be sourly disappointed.

Old
03-25-2012, 09:26 PM
Artie

David Burstyn ‏ @DavidBurstyn
Decent game for Nieves with Indy, scored a beautiful goal from the point and his skating is elite!

another choice for one of the 2nd round picks

Old
03-25-2012, 09:33 PM
Beakermania*

I've never actually seen Nieves play but everything i read on the guy sounds intriguing for us

Old
03-25-2012, 09:51 PM
Beatnik

Send a message via MSN to Beatnik
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Saku View Post
I have a question guys, probably already been discussed.

How can Yakupov been compared with the other 1st overall picks of the last 5 years? Is he a legit 1st overall?

The hype is as big as any #1 since Crosby IMO.

He was dominant at the WJC, something only a handfull of 17 years old did in history.

His head injury is a question mark tho

Old
03-25-2012, 09:56 PM
Beakermania*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Saku View Post
I have a question guys, probably already been discussed.

How can Yakupov been compared with the other 1st overall picks of the last 5 years? Is he a legit 1st overall?
He's better than Hall and RNH at the same age
He's probably about the same as Tavares/Stamkos were when drafted, IMO.

Not as good as Crosby/Ovechkin

Old
03-25-2012, 09:58 PM
bcv
My french sucks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beatnik View Post
The hype is as big as any #1 since Crosby IMO.

He was dominant at the WJC, something only a handfull of 17 years old did in history.

His head injury is a question mark tho
Not really, he missed about a week or two. He's already playing in the playoffs and has 2pts in 2 games on losing Sarnia team.

Old
03-25-2012, 10:16 PM
Captain Saku

Quote:
He's better than Hall and RNH at the same age
He's probably about the same as Tavares/Stamkos were when drafted, IMO.

Not as good as Crosby/Ovechkin
Nice. I was thinking if we can trade our 1st + 2nd to Columbus since there are rumours they'd want to trade down but after reading this I'm not sure this will be enough.

Old
03-25-2012, 10:16 PM
Beakermania*

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcv View Post
Not really, he missed about a week or two. He's already playing in the playoffs and has 2pts in 2 games on losing Sarnia team.
series is 1-1 and he has 3 pts in 2 games

Old
03-25-2012, 10:19 PM
bcv
My french sucks.

Quote:
series is 1-1 and he has 3 pts in 2 games
Even better. Thanks for correcting me. Just went on top of my head instead of fact checking. That'll teach me.

Old
03-25-2012, 10:22 PM
Beakermania*

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcv View Post
Even better. Thanks for correcting me. Just went on top of my head instead of fact checking. That'll teach me.
if Sarnia can win this round chances are their next opponent will be within driving distance for me which would be sweet

Old
03-25-2012, 10:42 PM
Jabba11
Hockey Lobby

I know I've been saying that I'm not a big fan of Yakupov. But what would you guys think it would take for us to acquire the 1st overall pick from Columbus, assuming we have the 2nd overall pick? Would our 1st + 2nd round 2012 (32nd) suffice?

Simply the idea of picking 1st overall would be so exciting.

If we take out Doug Wickenheiser, last 1st overall pick we had was none other than Guy Lafleur lol.

Old
03-25-2012, 10:50 PM
Beatnik

Send a message via MSN to Beatnik
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabba11 View Post
I know I've been saying that I'm not a big fan of Yakupov. But what would you guys think it would take for us to acquire the 1st overall pick from Columbus, assuming we have the 2nd overall pick? Would our 1st + 2nd round 2012 (32nd) suffice?

If we take out Doug Wickenheiser, last 1st overall pick we had was none other than Guy Lafleur lol.
I think it would take more than that, except if Galchenyuk really stand out in playoffs or if Forsberg dominate at the U18.

It also depends on who get the #1 pick and how much they love Yakupov.

Old
03-25-2012, 10:51 PM
le_sean

Quote:
I think you're writing him off before you give him a chance. The kid has a pro hockey frame at 6'4 but like most juniors, he needs time to fill out and develop. Like Tinordi, he's not done growing and needs to bulk up. Once he adds another 25-30 lbs of muscle and is given time to develop, he should be a force. He's already putting up solid numbers on a really good team with limited ice time. Get him on a training program and let him develop a couple more years in Junior and than Hamilton, and we may have a gem. He's not Lucic but he could be something similar if developed properly.
I love this argument, the same one we used with Fischer all the time. "If he puts 25-30 pounds of muscle." People say this all the time, ignoring how incredibly difficult it is for someone to do that while trying to develop hockey skills.

How about we just select the best player? None of this "well he might be the best player if he was 25 pounds heavier."

The only player I remember ever putting on a vast amount of weight and improving was Eric Staal. But that was mainly because of the lockout. Even then, it was probably more like 10-15 pounds.

Old
03-25-2012, 10:51 PM
Shutdown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabba11 View Post

IMO the only way Columbus trades their #1 pick, is to get an established NHL star

Old
03-25-2012, 10:55 PM
TheBuriedHab

MAG said the nhl execs are expecting CBJ to trade the number 1 overall pick. Maybe if we swap picks if we have the 3rd overall + a 2nd this year and a 2nd next year?

Old
03-25-2012, 11:01 PM
Guilliam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shutdown View Post
IMO the only way Columbus trades their #1 pick, is to get an established NHL star
Same here. I think that if they're trading their 1st pick it's because they want more immediate help so I don't think they'd swap it to pick a little lower and get an extra 2nd.

Old
03-25-2012, 11:01 PM
Beendair Donedat

Quote:
Originally Posted by le_sean View Post
I love this argument, the same one we used with Fischer all the time. "If he puts 25-30 pounds of muscle." People say this all the time, ignoring how incredibly difficult it is for someone to do that while trying to develop hockey skills.

How about we just select the best player? None of this "well he might be the best player if he was 25 pounds heavier."

The only player I remember ever putting on a vast amount of weight and improving was Eric Staal. But that was mainly because of the lockout. Even then, it was probably more like 10-15 pounds.
I'd say almost every hockey player I know of that played Juniors has had significant weight gains from 17 on...some guys more so than others. You don't instantly become bigger over night. Wilson will fill out like Tinordi. No idea about his future, I like his potential though... Power forwards take longer to develop.

Old
03-25-2012, 11:06 PM
poetryinmotion

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBuriedHab View Post
MAG said the nhl execs are expecting CBJ to trade the number 1 overall pick. Maybe if we swap picks if we have the 3rd overall + a 2nd this year and a 2nd next year?
The second next year has little value as no one knows how good the Habs will be the following season. If we tinker with the defense a bit and bring in some competence in the front office we can be right back where we left off last year. I would think they would ask for one of Beaulieu or Tinordi and I would never ever part with either of them, like ever. I'd offer up Leblanc instead but I doubt they would bite.
So to summarize.. 1st overall for 3rd overall + 2nd 2012 + Louis Leblanc?
Reading that proposal... just seems kind of weak for Yakupov tbh, we don't have much to offer.

Old
03-25-2012, 11:15 PM
Beakermania*

Quote:
I'd say almost every hockey player I know of that played Juniors has had significant weight gains from 17 on...some guys more so than others. You don't instantly become bigger over night. Wilson will fill out like Tinordi. No idea about his future, I like his potential though... Power forwards take longer to develop.
Weight gain wont improve his release or his hands though, and those will keep him from scoring in the NHL

Old
03-25-2012, 11:28 PM
MarkovsKnee

Quote:
Way I see it, the Habs need big physical wingers in the prospect pool. Wilson would add size, strength and some skill to play with smaller guys like Gallagher, Kristo, Leblanc, etc... Add their high end talent with Wilson's size and ability to open up traffic, you have a pretty good combo. Plus it's high time we developed another Shayne Corson type.
I agree. It would be nice to get a Shayne Corson type. Scott Hartnell plays a lot like Corson did, although Corson was a much better playmaker. However, Corson was picked 8th overall (1984) and Hartnell was chosen 6th overall (2000), Wilson is not close to being like either of those 2 players, and if lucky, he may be picked in the late 1st round never mind top 10.

Wilson will likely end up a Turner Stevenson type, who had a solid career mostly as a 4th liner in the NHL.

Old
03-26-2012, 02:59 AM
S Bah

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkovsKnee View Post
I agree. It would be nice to get a Shayne Corson type. Scott Hartnell plays a lot like Corson did, although Corson was a much better playmaker. However, Corson was picked 8th overall (1984) and Hartnell was chosen 6th overall (2000), Wilson is not close to being like either of those 2 players, and if lucky, he may be picked in the late 1st round never mind top 10.

Wilson will likely end up a Turner Stevenson type, who had a solid career mostly as a 4th liner in the NHL.
How about Lukas Sutter Center for Saskatoon-very similar game to Corson's.

Old
03-26-2012, 05:04 AM
Beendair Donedat

Quote:
Originally Posted by S Bah View Post
How about Lukas Sutter Center for Saskatoon-very similar game to Corson's.
I've been hyping Sutter as a pick for a bit now. Would love to draft him, he's got size and pedigree. I thought we were going to get Brandon a few years back. I'll take Lukas though, he would be a solid prospect.

Closed Thread