HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2012 NHL Entry Draft Talk 6.0

Closed Thread

Old
03-26-2012, 05:05 AM
Beendair Donedat

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Commandant View Post
Weight gain wont improve his release or his hands though, and those will keep him from scoring in the NHL
Glad you've got your crystal ball on overdrive tonight.

Old
03-26-2012, 07:22 AM
Beakermania*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beendair Donedat View Post
Glad you've got your crystal ball on overdrive tonight.
I've said its my opinion wartching him in games that he just doesn't have offensive skill. Isn't that what we are all doing here, looking at prospects and doing an amateur analysis of their talent and giving opinions?

Don't be so offended just because I think this late 1st/early 2nd round pick doesn't have the offensive ability to be the next lucic.

I've watched the kid play, and in those games I've gained the opinion that he's not going to become an NHL goal scorer. Heck he plays second line time now and barely scores.

Old
03-26-2012, 07:54 AM
Halifaxhab*

Quote:
I've been hyping Sutter as a pick for a bit now. Would love to draft him, he's got size and pedigree. I thought we were going to get Brandon a few years back. I'll take Lukas though, he would be a solid prospect.
I think he'd end up as a really good 3rd line C. He can play the PK and offer up some decent secondary scoring, and still fit in with some guys with talent or be able to grind it out.

I we got him in the second round I would be happy

Old
03-26-2012, 07:56 AM
FrankMTL

How much better is Yakupov than Grigorenko really?

Old
03-26-2012, 08:21 AM
Beakermania*

I love that Lukas Sutter 6'0 has "got size", but people complain about Yakupov's size at 5'11 1/2

Old
03-26-2012, 08:33 AM
Beendair Donedat

Lukas Sutter plays a big mans game with almost 30 fights in the last couple seasons along with a lot of hits. Very physical player. I don't think Yakupov plays that similar style. Sutter is a big 6'0 player because he plays bigger.

Furthermore I wasn't offended at your comments, I said we'd agree to disagree on a player's assesment and you kept pushing your viewpoint. I never compared him to Lucic at any point, Not sure why you keep bringing that name up. Anything we do at this point is pure speculation, so your opinion is no more valuable than my own. Time will tell. Cheers.

Old
03-26-2012, 08:43 AM
Halifaxhab*

Quote:
I love that Lukas Sutter 6'0 has "got size", but people complain about Yakupov's size at 5'11 1/2
well, Sutter does have the extra 10lbs as well. Which at that age and level is significant. But you can't really compare the two. One has elite level scoring talent. The other plays a more defensive gritty game with some scoring. One uses his size for his style of game while the other one doesn't really rely on that, he uses it more to deal with the physicality of the checking against him.

Not to mention one is a concensus 1st overall type pick and the other is a concensus 2nd rounder.

Old
03-26-2012, 08:49 AM
poetryinmotion

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankMTL View Post
How much better is Yakupov than Grigorenko really?
Tough to answer accurately, but the gap isn't huge. I'd rather get the big ppg center we've always dreamed of rather than a winger though. Plus, not that I'm saying Yakupov is small but he isn't 6'3 and he plays a reckless style that could see him hurt more often than not in the long run whereas Grigorenko with his effective style can play until he is 40 and not be sidelined as much.

Yakupov gives me shades of a young Koivu. Obviously a much more skilled one but he might become damaged goods at some point.

Old
03-26-2012, 08:56 AM
Beakermania*

Quote:
Lukas Sutter plays a big mans game with almost 30 fights in the last couple seasons along with a lot of hits. Very physical player. I don't think Yakupov plays that similar style. Sutter is a big 6'0 player because he plays bigger.

Furthermore I wasn't offended at your comments, I said we'd agree to disagree on a player's assesment and you kept pushing your viewpoint. I never compared him to Lucic at any point, Not sure why you keep bringing that name up. Anything we do at this point is pure speculation, so your opinion is no more valuable than my own. Time will tell. Cheers.
Yakupov does not play small, he has a similar style to ovechkin in that he hits a lot.

Old
03-26-2012, 09:24 AM
domdo345

Going to see the big Russian center in Québec tonight, i hope Drummondville puts up a better fight. Btw, for those saying they'd like to see Grigo get more involved after the whistles or push back, Roy was quoted this morning saying it was the game plan to not get involved after the whistles. So it's not Grigo's call.

Old
03-26-2012, 09:27 AM
poetryinmotion

double post

Old
03-26-2012, 09:28 AM
poetryinmotion

Quote:
Originally Posted by domdo345 View Post
Going to see the big Russian center in Québec tonight, i hope Drummondville puts up a better fight. Btw, for those saying they'd like to see Grigo get more involved after the whistles or push back, Roy was quoted this morning saying it was the game plan to not get involved after the whistles. So it's not Grigo's call.
Okay that clears up a lot of things. Including why he didn't retaliate to several crosschecks he got after the whistle and seemed unphased. Some people thought that made him soft and not willing to compete.

Old
03-26-2012, 09:32 AM
Halifaxhab*

Quote:
Originally Posted by poetryinmotion View Post
Okay that clears up a lot of things. Including why he didn't retaliate to several crosschecks he got after the whistle and seemed unphased. Some people thought that made him soft and not willing to compete.
you can also look at it as he is trying to avoid penalty minutes to actually spend more time on the ice or even draw more penalties to get a few PPs.

just because a guy doesn't shove or face wash others after every whislte doesn't mean he's "soft"

Old
03-26-2012, 09:33 AM
domdo345

Quote:
Yeah, playing hockey, i know for a fact that not pushing back is harder and retaliating. To some extent that shows he's disciplined and listen to the coach. No use of him spending a double minor in the penalty box, particularly in the playoffs.

Old
03-26-2012, 09:42 AM
hogtownhabsfan*

Quote:
Yeah, playing hockey, i know for a fact that not pushing back is harder and retaliating. To some extent that shows he's disciplined and listen to the coach. No use of him spending a double minor in the penalty box, particularly in the playoffs.
I'm a Grigo fan, but At 6'3" and 200lbs already, you'd like to see him stand up for himself. I'd just hate to see what Marchand did to Sedin in the finals last year...

Old
03-26-2012, 09:50 AM
Marc the Habs Fan
Ours!

vCash: 597
Quote:
But but but...he's a Sutter!!! A good old Canadian farm boy! He has to be big!

Old
03-26-2012, 09:53 AM
domdo345

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogtownhabsfan View Post
I'm a Grigo fan, but At 6'3" and 200lbs already, you'd like to see him stand up for himself. I'd just hate to see what Marchand did to Sedin in the finals last year...

His coach told him not to. During the season he was not shying away like he does now. I want to see him on the PP, not in the penalty box.

Old
03-26-2012, 09:55 AM
poetryinmotion

Quote:
His coach told him not to. During the season he was not shying away like he does now. I want to see him on the PP, not in the penalty box.
is this sarcasm?

Old
03-26-2012, 09:59 AM
theboss*

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogtownhabsfan View Post

That is why we surround him with toughness.

Old
03-26-2012, 10:41 AM
hogtownhabsfan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by theboss View Post
I just hope he can develop a little more mean streak ala Kovalchuk as a opposed to being a pure pushover ala Sedin.

We have some toughness coming up, but none that can play a top 6 role...

Old
03-26-2012, 10:45 AM
Frozenice
the random dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by theboss View Post
More like Bourque and Gionta because that is all we have.

Old
03-26-2012, 10:45 AM
Beakermania*

Quote:
Tough to answer accurately, but the gap isn't huge. I'd rather get the big ppg center we've always dreamed of rather than a winger though. Plus, not that I'm saying Yakupov is small but he isn't 6'3 and he plays a reckless style that could see him hurt more often than not in the long run whereas Grigorenko with his effective style can play until he is 40 and not be sidelined as much.

Yakupov gives me shades of a young Koivu. Obviously a much more skilled one but he might become damaged goods at some point.
Yakupov is the more talented player, who isn't afraid to drive the net, and who is more physical than Grigorenko despite the size. There is a reason he is a consensus number 1 in nearly every scouting service out there, in bob mcKenzie's ranks, in Craig Button's ranks, everywhere.

This is not Taylor vs Tyler where there as been a debate.

The debate is over... Grigorenko is more likely to lose the number 2 spot to someone else than he is to take over from Yakupov as Best Player available.

Old
03-26-2012, 10:54 AM
poetryinmotion

Quote:
Yakupov is the more talented player, who isn't afraid to drive the net, and who is more physical than Grigorenko despite the size. There is a reason he is a consensus number 1 in nearly every scouting service out there, in bob mcKenzie's ranks, in Craig Button's ranks, everywhere.

This is not Taylor vs Tyler where there as been a debate.

The debate is over... Grigorenko is more likely to lose the number 2 spot to someone else than he is to take over from Yakupov as Best Player available.
There's no arguing what you just wrote at all.

But I don't think I'm wrong in doubting his ability to remain healthy over the span of a career. He is on the smallish side when you consider guys like Chara, Myers and our very own Tinordi, and they could hurt him. It doesn't even have to be them, the league is littered with punks like Kaleta. Heck, Markov got destroyed by Grabovski, and someone just fell on Koivu while his knee was bent... Grigorenko has a big frame, none of that would happen to him.

Old
03-26-2012, 10:56 AM
theboss*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozenice View Post
More like Bourque and Gionta because that is all we have.
Hopefully the new GM will fix this problem.

Old
03-26-2012, 11:03 AM
Beakermania*

Quote:
There's no arguing what you just wrote at all.

But I don't think I'm wrong in doubting his ability to remain healthy over the span of a career. He is on the smallish side when you consider guys like Chara, Myers and our very own Tinordi, and they could hurt him. It doesn't even have to be them, the league is littered with punks like Kaleta. Heck, Markov got destroyed by Grabovski, and someone just fell on Koivu while his knee was bent... Grigorenko has a big frame, none of that would happen to him.
Eric Lindros was injured by a much smaller Scott Stevens.
Keith Primeau was forced to retire due to concussions.
Jason Arnott got concussed in a celebration by Radulov
Brett Lindros was not small
Mario Lemieux had how many injuries (even before the cancer).
Chris Pronger is facing the end of his career due to injuries.
Cam Neely was not small (especially by 80s/early 90s standards).
Nathan Horton

And I could list many more players with big frames who had major injury issues despite that frame.

Its a risk with all players, even with Grigorenko's big frame, he could be hurt if he's in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Heck he's had his own ankle issues this year and shoulder issues as well.

Closed Thread