Notices

Keepers, trade bait or next bus outta town

Old
03-24-2012, 02:20 AM
mjw22

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CGYPUKSUX View Post
I disagree. Iginla is no different than any other player, other than he scored a load of the Flames. He's been paid handsomely for his years of service and he is not a long term solution for the team moving forward. I look at the Iginla situation like three other iconic captains for their respective organizations; Steve Yzerman, Matts Sundin and Mike Modano. Each of these guys were core players to their respective organizations, but each took a different path to their final days with the team, impacting the long term recovery of the team during the transition period after their departure.

Steve Yzerman was Mr. Redwing. A lot of people compare the Iginla situation to that of Yzerman. I don't see it that way. Yzerman recognized his game was declining and made the effort to become one of the best two way centers in the league and extremely defensive aware. Iginla has gone the other way. He started out as a great two way player but has changed to a strictly one way player as his physical capabilities fail. He's horrible defensively and is no where near as dominating offensively as he needs to be to be a one way player. Yzerman accepted whatever role he was given and did what it took to win. Iginla hasn't been willing to adapt. I just don't see any comparison to the Yzerman situation.

Mats Sundin was the only thing the Leafs had going for them. They knew their team was failing and wanted to move him for some type of return, but left the decision up to Sundin. Mats decided he would stick it out with the Leafs until his contract expired. To add insult to injury, the captain for the Leafs decided to take his game elsewhere before retiring, leaving the Leafs high and dry with nothing to show for the years of investment in the player. The Leafs are still trying to recover from Sundin's departure four years ago. The Iginla situation has some similarities to the Sundin situation in Toronto.

Mike Modano was Mr. (North) Star. There are similarities to the Sundin situation here. Modano elected to hold on and stick with the team until his contract was up. The difference is the Stars had made the decision to jettison Modano and move forward without him. They took a hit by getting nothing back for him, but they had planned well leading up to that moment. They recognized Modano's failings and moved on, knowing the team would never be able to develop a new culture and leadership with Modano in the clubhouse. There also some similarities to the Iginla situation.

I think the Flames really need to move Iginla. It's no longer just something to consider, I think it needs to be done. The Flames will never develop a new leadership group or identity as long as Iginla is in the dressing room. They need to think of the future. They need to think of the transition to a new leadership group. The pragmatic thing to do is to move Iginla before it ends up in a Sundin situation. Trade him, give him a contract elsewhere to chase the cup, then bring him back to retire a Flame. Make everyone happy.
You got this one right. Modano even hung around after they took the C away. Iggy has a chance to leave before it becomes another Sundin situation. What happens if he stays and we miss again next year are the fans still on the Iggy bandwagon or throwing him under it.

mjw22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2012, 04:36 PM
Body Checker

Jokinen & Bouwmeester - they can go. Have to start believing the people who say there's a reason they haven't made the playoffs.

Moss/Kostopulous/Sarich/Hannan - easily replaceable or getting too old or both

Comeau - bring back. We can't move any more speed out of this lineup

Go with Cammy, Stajan, Backlund, Jones as your centers. Maybe Bouwmeester can get a guy like Bozak or Elias in a trade (but preferably a 1st rnd pick)

Keep Iggy, Glencross, Tanguay and Stempniak for top lines so Baertschi isn't exposed in his first year.

Slim chance at Parise or Suter but maybe they consider it if they get an offer like the Flames gave Richards.

Body Checker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2012, 11:21 PM
CGYftw

I'd consider moving Iggy if we got a legitimate package and it worked for him as well. After Joker's Houdini disappearing act down the stretch, I'd be much less inclined to bring him back. All that being said, I think we would be fine with a new leadership group of Tanguay, Cammy and Gio leading the way.
Regardless of what happens, we NEED to get younger and have Sven, Bouma, Nemeisz and Irving as permanent fixtures in the lineup. Add those guys with Horak, Brodie, and Backlund.

CGYftw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2012, 11:40 PM
tyflames
Baertschi is God

vCash: 335
Quote:
I disagree. Iginla is no different than any other player, other than he scored a load of the Flames.
I stopped reading what you were typing as soon as I read this. When you say "Iginla is no different than any other player", you couldn't be more wrong. If the flames ship out Iginla like he is just another player, it will be disgraceful. Understandably he hasn't been unbelievable this season but he still scored 30 goals, and last time I checked 30 goal scoters aren't all that common. And after everything he has done for this organization he is different from any other player. I could care less if he currently not buying into the system or playing his own game, which is purely speculation as I understand anyway, he is more then just an ordinary player to this organization.

tyflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2012, 12:05 AM
BigTree92

Iginla - Trade him at the deadline, he will probably resign next year and the payoff would be great for the team
Cammalleri - Staying, he probably won't be easy to offload with his contract and he still has some great upside in him
Tanguay - Trade, he is locked up for awhile and will only degrade more, might as well trade him while he has some value
Stajan - If someone will take him press the button
Jokinen - Would really love to see him resign, one of our best forwards this year, just depends if he wants to stay
Glencross - KEEP
Comeau - Didn't really watch him much this year, maybe resign him if its for cheap
Stempniak - Didn't really impress me much this year, don't really care either way
Moss - Same as stemp
Backlund - Derp
Giordano - KEEP probably our future captain
Bouwmeester - Don't think its possible to get rid of him
Kipprusoff - Keep

BigTree92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2012, 12:17 AM
FLAMES666
Retrofit not Rebuild

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTree92 View Post
Iginla - Trade him at the deadline, he will probably resign next year and the payoff would be great for the team
Cammalleri - Staying, he probably won't be easy to offload with his contract and he still has some great upside in him
Tanguay - Trade, he is locked up for awhile and will only degrade more, might as well trade him while he has some value
Stajan - If someone will take him press the button
Jokinen - Would really love to see him resign, one of our best forwards this year, just depends if he wants to stay
Glencross - KEEP
Comeau - Didn't really watch him much this year, maybe resign him if its for cheap
Stempniak - Didn't really impress me much this year, don't really care either way
Moss - Same as stemp
Backlund - Derp
Giordano - KEEP probably our future captain
Bouwmeester - Don't think its possible to get rid of him
Kipprusoff - Keep
You think Iggy will just let us trade him then resign here??? Highly doubt it. and if were trading our captain why would we resign Jokinen, there is no point.

FLAMES666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2012, 12:54 AM
BigTree92

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLAMES666 View Post
You think Iggy will just let us trade him then resign here??? Highly doubt it. and if were trading our captain why would we resign Jokinen, there is no point.
I'm counting on it happening. He is loyal to Calgary and wants to help them in anyway possible. We will need good players to mention the impending youth movement, would love to keep Jokinen around for it.

BigTree92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2012, 12:47 PM
saillias

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svensational View Post
Unfortunately this team will slightly retool in the offseason and keep the same core, likely resulting in same ******** ending as this season.
Yeah probably. Everyone talks about all the UFAs we're going to let go this year. We have a high roster turnover rate almost every year except last anyway. Swapping out the 3rd liners and 2nd-3rd pairing defenseman has never made a difference and it won't now.

saillias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2012, 01:31 PM
John Bender

Quote:
Originally Posted by Body Checker View Post
Jokinen & Bouwmeester - they can go. Have to start believing the people who say there's a reason they haven't made the playoffs.

Moss/Kostopulous/Sarich/Hannan - easily replaceable or getting too old or both

Comeau - bring back. We can't move any more speed out of this lineup

Go with Cammy, Stajan, Backlund, Jones as your centers. Maybe Bouwmeester can get a guy like Bozak or Elias in a trade (but preferably a 1st rnd pick)

Keep Iggy, Glencross, Tanguay and Stempniak for top lines so Baertschi isn't exposed in his first year.

Slim chance at Parise or Suter but maybe they consider it if they get an offer like the Flames gave Richards.
Calgary is one of the last places Parise and Suter would go. They are Americans, will be courted by top end Eastern based teams and have no affiliation with Western Canada. Add to that, the Flames are a bad team right now.

The only way there'd be any slim chance at all of either coming out West would be if the team was good - like Vancouver - they may actually listen to them a bit.....but realistically, no one out here has any shot.

John Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2012, 01:45 PM
brewski1810

I'm very surprised at how many ppl on here want comeau back, he has speed yes, but that's all, he has
little to no hockey sense,
makes a ton of mistakes on
all areas of the ice, and 90%
of time has his shots
blocked because he doesn't
get the puck off his stick
quickly enough, and waits far
to long to make a play, he is
easily replaced by free agent
or promotion Of a young player, there is a reason he was on waivers, this team needs far more contribution from 6 and down forwards,

brewski1810 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2012, 02:34 PM
Xelstyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewski1810 View Post
I'm very surprised at how many ppl on here want comeau back, he has speed yes, but that's all, he has
little to no hockey sense,
makes a ton of mistakes on
all areas of the ice, and 90%
of time has his shots
blocked because he doesn't
get the puck off his stick
quickly enough, and waits far
to long to make a play, he is
easily replaced by free agent
or promotion Of a young player, there is a reason he was on waivers, this team needs far more contribution from 6 and down forwards,
Most of us advocating for Comeau staying is only in a much more limited role like the 4th line. We've seen occasionally how well he can lay the body when his game gets going.

We can talk about getting more production and what players won't give it, but the fact is, we're going to be like every other team: Finding that 4th line guy who will get hot one year. Whether it's a Jackman or Nystrom it's a matter of luck sometimes whether they actually do get goals in or not.

Xelstyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2012, 03:01 PM
brewski1810

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xelstyle View Post
Most of us advocating for Comeau staying is only in a much more limited role like the 4th line. We've seen occasionally how well he can lay the body when his game gets going.

We can talk about getting more production and what players won't give it, but the fact is, we're going
to be like every other team:
Finding that 4th line guy who will
get hot one year. Whether it's a
Jackman or Nystrom it's a matter
of luck sometimes whether they
actually do get goals in or not.
If he was resigned for season at 1.5 or less it could be livable but IMO this team needs players that can bring it night in and night out, and comaeu along with a number of other flames are far to inconsistent, if we are looking for player in 4th line role that plays physical and makes plays by Doing so, we should be going after a guy like tootoo, comaeu seems to be caught between a checker and goal scorer, not being able to fill the role properly between either, at this point in his career

brewski1810 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2012, 03:22 PM
Xelstyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewski1810 View Post
If he was resigned for season at 1.5 or less it could be livable but IMO this team needs players that can bring it night in and night out, and comaeu along with a number of other flames are far to inconsistent, if we are looking for player in 4th line role that plays physical and makes plays by Doing so, we should be going after a guy like tootoo, comaeu seems to be caught between a checker and goal scorer, not being able to fill the role properly between either, at this point in his career
If we can get a guy like Tootoo, sure but we're not the only suitor. I'm just hoping that the next coach will be push Comeau to be a physical checker. The goals will naturally come from that.

Old
03-25-2012, 06:44 PM
CGYPUKSUX
The No Kool-aid Zone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xelstyle View Post

We can talk about getting more production and what players won't give it, but the fact is, we're going to be like every other team: Finding that 4th line guy who will get hot one year. Whether it's a Jackman or Nystrom it's a matter of luck sometimes whether they actually do get goals in or not.
I'd prefer to cut Comeau loose, or use his rights as a bargaining chip at the draft. Do whatever you can to get rid of him though. He's the new Rico Fata. Fast, but nothing else. Horrible hockey player.

Another move I would make is try and move Iginla to St. Louis for Rattie, their 1st and 2nd round draft picks. St. Louis has not been afraid of older players and has Arnott and Langenbrunner coming off the books. That's $5.6 million coming off the books, so Iginla might be a good fit there. Hopefully St. Louis would be dumb enough to make that deal.

CGYPUKSUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2012, 08:18 PM
MarkGio

vCash: 67
Quote:
I'd prefer to cut Comeau loose, or use his rights as a bargaining chip at the draft. Do whatever you can to get rid of him though. He's the new Rico Fata. Fast, but nothing else. Horrible hockey player.

Another move I would make is try and move Iginla to St. Louis for Rattie, their 1st and 2nd round draft picks. St. Louis has not been afraid of older players and has Arnott and Langenbrunner coming off the books. That's $5.6 million coming off the books, so Iginla might be a good fit there. Hopefully St. Louis would be dumb enough to make that deal.
Wow. Why would you propose a deal and then knock the other team for taking it? Lol. Are you alright? You know, most people justify their offers because they took the time to design them. I'm pretty sure there's a psychological concept about that...

MarkGio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2012, 08:34 PM
OttawaFlamesFan

This year has been another frustrating year to be a Flames fan. I think the team is full of talent but played the season rather softly and lacked size up front. The Flames should really target some larger UFA forwards with a proven track record of having a winning mentality willing to play with a ton of emotion. Defensively the team played pretty well with Bouwmeester having a better season than last year as he found his way to the corners more, pinched more often, joined the rush more frequently and even punched someone in the face! I think another experienced defenseman with talent that could take away some of Bouw's minutes would do the team very well. The Flames have great defensive depth with a lot of players in the AHL capable of playing NHL minutes. The Heat have had an exceptional year even with losing many of their players to NHL call-ups. Next year, even more young talented hockey players join the Heat and I think they will continue to be an AHL playoff team.

Under Contract
F
Jerome Iginla (Keep, had another good year)
Mike Cammalleri (Keep, great player with a winning attitude)
Alex Tanguay (Keep, lots of talent)
Curtis Glencross (Keep, he can do it all)
Matt Stajan (Keep unless a good trade comes along, or we re-sign Jokinen for cheap)
Tim Jackman (Keep, he had a bad year but I think will rebound next year)
Lance Bouma (Keep, I love his game)
Sven Baertschi (Keep, welcome to the NHL full time)
Greg Nemisz (Keep, welcome to the NHL full time)
Roman Horak (Keep, let him fight for a spot in the NHL during training camp)
Krys Kalanos (Keep, he was snake bitten this year but did create a ton of chanced and played well. He has good leadership at the AHL level and is a serviceable call-up)
Carter Bancks (Keep, let him fight for a spot with the NHL club during training camp. He has a winning attitude and is willing to do anything at all to help his team)
Michael Ferland (Keep, learning year in the AHL)
Ryan Howse (Keep, hopefully he has a strong year next year and can be called up at some point)
Mitch Wahl (Keep or use as an add-on in a trade, doesn’t matter)
Max Reinhart (Keep, learning year in the AHL)
Gaelan Patterson (Keep, stays in the AHL)
Ben Walter (Keep, stays in the AHL)
Bryan Cameron (Keep or use as an add-on in a trade, doesn’t matter)
Turner Elson (Keep, stays in the AHL)
David Eddy (Keep, learning year in the AHL)

D
Jay Bouwmeester (Keep, he played better than last year)
Mark Giordano (Keep, he makes some mistakes but does it all)
Chris Butler (Keep, he was good throughout the season minus a few stinkers)
Derek Smith (Keep, he was good)
TJ Brodie (Keep, he was good)
Anton Babchuk (Trade, the team doesn’t need another tall lanky defenceman with no physicality and we have young D that can fill the PP role)
Clay Wilson (Keep, maybe earns an NHL spot next year out of camp)
Brett Carson (Keep or trade, doesn’t matter. He can provide depth at the AHL level)
James Martin (Keep in the AHL)
Joe Piskula (Keep, in the AHL next year with some call-ups)
Chris Breen (Keep, he will fight for a spot on the NHL team next year)

G
Miikka Kiprusoff (Keep, he is the best goaltender in the league)
Henrik Karlsson (Keep or trade. Either way he benefits the team through adding competition for the back-up role or by adding a different asset)
Joni Ortio (Keep in the AHL)

UFA
Olli Jokinen (Only sign if 3.5m or less)
Lee Stempniak (Let him walk, he is a great depth player, but the team will need more size up front next season)
David Moss (Keep if he is able to sign for a good price)
Tom Kostopolous (Let him walk)
Raitis Ivanans (Let him walk)
Pierre-Luc Letourneau-Leblond (Let him walk)
Guillaume Desbiens (Keep)
Cory Sarich (Keep if he is healthy. He is one of my favourites and leaves it all out on the ice.)
Scott Hannan (Let him walk)

RFA
Mikael Backlund (Keep)
Blake Comeau (Let him walk)
Logan MacMillan (Let him walk)
Akim Aliu (Keep for the AHL)
Paul Byron (Keep if he can be signed to another 2 way)
Ryley Grantham (Let him walk)
Blair Jones (Keep)
Brian Connelly (Keep, he will compete for a spot in the NHL next season)
Stefan Meyer (Let him walk)
Leland Irving (Keep)
Joey Leach (Sign for a learning year in the AHL)

Rights Owned
Markus Granlund (He probably stays in Europe next season)
John Geaudreau (He will remain in college)
Nicholas Larson (Sign if he finished college this year)
Tyler Wotherspoon (Sign him for depth in the AHL if Ramage remains in college, otherwise wait)
John Ramage (Sign if he finished college this year)
Laurent Brossoit (Sign him if we trade Karlsson, otherwise wait as we keep his rights)
Kari Ramo (Wait on him, we keep his right)

I think our Target UFAs will be forwards that are large, play with an edge, and have a winning track record. Our Target Defenseman UFAs will be tough top 4 defensemen to take some minutes away from Bouwmeester.

Target UFAs
Zach Parise
David Jones
Chris Kelly
Travis Moen
P-A Parenteau
Mike Zigomanis
Corey Locke
Ryan Suter
Johnny Oduya
Filip Kuba
Denis Wideman

This would leave the NHL and AHL club with these most likely line-ups:

Tanguay Cammalleri Iginla
Glencross Stajan/Jokinen Moss/Kelly/Parise/Jones/Parenteau
Baertschi Backlund Nemisz
Bouma Jones Zigomanis/Moen
Jackman

Bouwmeester Butler
Giordano Oduya/Wideman/Kuba/Sarich
Smith Brodie
Wilson

Kiprusoff
Irving/Karlsson

Contracts 22

Byron Horak Howse
Ferland Reinhart Elson
Kalanos Walter Bancks
Eddy Patterson Desbiens
Larson/Locke

(ECHL) Wahl Cameron

Breen Connelly
Carson Leach
Piskula Martin
Ramage/Wotherspoon

Karlsson/Irving
Ortio

Contracts: 24
Total Contracts: 46, leaving 4 empty contract spaces

Last edited by OttawaFlamesFan: 03-25-2012 at 08:48 PM.
OttawaFlamesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2012, 08:54 PM
FLAMES666
Retrofit not Rebuild

Quote:
Originally Posted by OttawaFlamesFan View Post
I think the team is full of talent but played the season rather softly and lacked size up front.

FLAMES666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2012, 09:19 PM
OttawaFlamesFan

I do realize the Flames team is not the smallest nor softest team in the league. Perhaps I may mistake physicality with passion and a real drive to win games. I did watch almost every game this season and when the Flames were matched with a team that was able to push them around, they crumbled very easily. The players that play the best against the Flames aren't necessarily the Mike Ribieros and Milan Hejduk's of the league, but, more recently, guys like Steve Ott and Jamie Benn on Dallas, and David Jones and Gabriel Landeskog on Colorado. Our second, third and fourth lines weren't able to compete against bigger driven opponents that put the body on them. Our team got stuck playing in their own zone for extended periods of time against other team's grit lines who pressured our defence and pinched along the boards. Having shifts where we get out-worked by a vast margin really shifts the momentum of a hockey game. I think we have some skill coming into the line-up next year in Baertschi and if we can add a solid defensive player that has a ton of drive and passion to win will help us overcome those momentum shifts and we won't blow so many leads and maybe we'll play a couple more full 60 minute hockey games.

Last edited by OttawaFlamesFan: 03-25-2012 at 09:38 PM.
OttawaFlamesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2012, 09:53 PM
MarkGio

I think we need better faceoffs, shootouts, and depth scoring. We lost a lot of games by 1 or 2 goals even though our best offensive players are the ones on the score sheet. We lost a lot games in the shoot out, and we lost a lit of shifts from poor faceoffs.

And personally I think Sutter has been a big factor in that. Yes, faceoffs and secondary scoring are a personnel problem, and therefore Feaster's realm, but we've seen poor roster management. Stajan has shown lately that he can provide secondary scoring, while winning faceoffs, whereas Kostopolous hasn't proven good enough for the roles he's been given at times. That, and too many times has the grinders been given late-push ice time when we needed goals.

Obviously staying healthy would help too.

Old
03-25-2012, 10:14 PM
Johnny Hoxville
Formerly MVW

The owners of the Flames and Ken King will need to decide if Feaster is coming back, and then decide what our coaching staff will look like next season. I don't think realistically any significant roster changes can be decided on until this is done first.

I will say that I think Comeau looks like a lost puppy out there. He has plays with good energy but he looks completely lost and useless in the offensive zone. I would take any kind of assets in terms of draft picks for this guy, I think removing his cap hit from our roster has quite a bit more value than what he brings on the ice.

And if Sutter isn't coming back, I think you need to decide about whether or not you bring back Jokinen. I've been on the record lots in past saying we need to bring him back, and I still think we should. However, I do not think he will be as effective playing under a different coach. So if we have a new bench boss and Jokinen's next contract is going to cost alot to resign, then it may not be in our best interests to bring him back.

Johnny Hoxville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2012, 10:24 PM
MarkGio

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVW View Post
The owners of the Flames and Ken King will need to decide if Feaster is coming back, and then decide what our coaching staff will look like next season. I don't think realistically any significant roster changes can be decided on until this is done first.

I will say that I think Comeau looks like a lost puppy out there. He has plays with good energy but he looks completely lost and useless in the offensive zone. I would take any kind of assets in terms of draft picks for this guy, I think removing his cap hit from our roster has quite a bit more value than what he brings on the ice.

And if Sutter isn't coming back, I think you need to decide about whether or not you bring back Jokinen. I've been on the record lots in past saying we need to bring him back, and I still think we should. However, I do not think he will be as effective playing under a different coach. So if we have a new bench boss and Jokinen's next contract is going to cost alot to resign, then it may not be in our best interests to bring him back.
I concur. If we're going to reevaluate this club, we should start at the top and work our way down. There's nothing worse than continuing the personnel who built the first failure. However, I've been impressed with Feaster giving youngsters a shot.

Old
03-25-2012, 11:01 PM
Johnny Hoxville
Formerly MVW

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkGio View Post
I concur. If we're going to reevaluate this club, we should start at the top and work our way down. There's nothing worse than continuing the personnel who built the first failure. However, I've been impressed with Feaster giving youngsters a shot.
Yeah I just think a decision on whether or not you move an Iginla or Kipper cannot be made until a definitive direction on where this team is going is made. An extensive evaluation process needs to be done and as you said, it starts at the top. I think Iginla could be still have success here but it would need to be done with a coaching staff that has a philosophy that matches his style of game, I'm just not so sure that guy is Sutter. If the goal is to get younger and go in a completely new direction, then I think you listen to all offers and potentially pull the trigger only if something makes to much sense to say no to.

I do also agree with you, I do not mind what Feaster has done so far. He's made some mistakes for sure, but he's also made some good moves. I also think King has his reins around Feaster quite tight.

Johnny Hoxville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2012, 11:24 PM
Xelstyle

Quote:
I think we need better faceoffs, shootouts, and depth scoring. We lost a lot of games by 1 or 2 goals even though our best offensive players are the ones on the score sheet. We lost a lot games in the shoot out, and we lost a lit of shifts from poor faceoffs.

And personally I think Sutter has been a big factor in that. Yes, faceoffs and secondary scoring are a personnel problem, and therefore Feaster's realm, but we've seen poor roster management. Stajan has shown lately that he can provide secondary scoring, while winning faceoffs, whereas Kostopolous hasn't proven good enough for the roles he's been given at times. That, and too many times has the grinders been given late-push ice time when we needed goals.

Obviously staying healthy would help too.
From a team that was 8th in league scoring with arguably a better squad this year, Sutter is the root, though not the sole cause of the problem in my eyes.

Whoever comes in next needs to recognize that our defense is primed for a better transition game, and somehow get our forwards on the same page. Depending on who comes in and how they do, I'm betting on a quick-paced offensive season next year (too optimistic?) or just a general ****-storm where we'll get nothing right (pessimist).

The realist, I'll just barricade in the corner of my mind until the end of next season as usual.

Old
03-26-2012, 01:18 PM
OrrwastheBeatles

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTree92 View Post
I find this view naive and selfish (not attacking you - a lot of Flame fans hold this view).

We need to keep in mind however, that Iggy would have been asked - and agreed - to a trade. And he would have input on what team he went to.

Iggy is a leader and a team guy - wherever he were to go, he would commit himself to that team.

IMO, there isn't a snowball's chance in hell that he goes somewhere as a one-year rental and then returns. If he agrees to move, he will be moving on and committing to the new team and new teammates.

Maybe - MAYBE - he spends his last year or two in Calgary to retire a Flame.

But if anyone thinks he leaves for a playoff run and comes right back, they are setting themselves up for disappointment.

Last edited by OrrwastheBeatles: 03-26-2012 at 02:01 PM.
OrrwastheBeatles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2012, 01:56 PM
CGYPUKSUX
The No Kool-aid Zone

Quote:
Wow. Why would you propose a deal and then knock the other team for taking it? Lol. Are you alright? You know, most people justify their offers because they took the time to design them. I'm pretty sure there's a psychological concept about that...
I looked around at who would take an aging Iginla be able to absorb his contract and still give up assets. St. Louis fit the bill. The problem is that St. Louis, and every other team out there, may have caught on to Iginla conundrum and would not be inclined to give up that much value to bring him in. I hope they would be dumb enough to think short term and not long, and give up that sweet package for a year of Iginla. Nothing neurotic about that, just being pragmatic in say St. Louis might be dumb to make that deal.

CGYPUKSUX is offline   Reply With Quote