HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Notices

Gooses @ Eagles. 7pm. Verizon Center. 11.23.2012

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-23-2012, 09:58 PM
  #601
Roughing
Registered User
 
Roughing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Frederick, MD
Country: United States
Posts: 861
vCash: 500
There is no reason whatsoever to collapse like the Caps do. I know of no nhl team in history that's done anything that severe. And it's not just in the last couple of minutes. Even when it's not extreme it's still awful. In the Flyers game I swear we tried to hang on to that OV goal for 59:34 and then basically did a 5 minute PK in overtime.

Roughing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2012, 09:58 PM
  #602
californiacapsfan
Registered Voter
 
californiacapsfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Berzerkeley, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 5,760
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post
Success in London was against teenagers. Not against NHL players.

He has no ****ing clue what he's doing. Terrible systematically, terrible strategically, terrible motivator.
I approve this message.

californiacapsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2012, 10:00 PM
  #603
txpd
Registered User
 
txpd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 39,801
vCash: 500
while i'm thinking about it. remember matt bradley talking about how guys like him should get more minutes than the alex semin's of the world?? here tonight is a sure example of how not to do that.

txpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2012, 10:04 PM
  #604
txpd
Registered User
 
txpd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 39,801
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post
His team laid down for the most important period this season. Not sure how motivating can be seen as a positive.

And I forgot to mention he's a terrible communicator as well. Sorry bout that.
laid down? i think you can make a case that they were told to lie down or in some cases sit down.
.

txpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2012, 10:05 PM
  #605
ForzaItalia
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Toronto, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,140
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roughing View Post
There is no reason whatsoever to collapse like the Caps do. I know of no nhl team in history that's done anything that severe. And it's not just in the last couple of minutes. Even when it's not extreme it's still awful. In the Flyers game I swear we tried to hang on to that OV goal for 59:34 and then basically did a 5 minute PK in overtime.
Living in Toronto, Leafs win hands down when it comes to collapses since the lockout.

ForzaItalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2012, 10:05 PM
  #606
Liberati0n
Full Hammock
 
Liberati0n's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 8,013
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForzaItalia View Post
Living in Toronto, Leafs win hands down when it comes to collapses since the lockout.
Not how he meant the word.

Liberati0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2012, 10:07 PM
  #607
Millhaus
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 5,525
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
laid down? i think you can make a case that they were told to lie down or in some cases sit down.
Yeah the Caps came out in the 3rd clearly instructed to park the bus and hope, like they always do when they have a lead going into the 3rd.

Millhaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2012, 10:07 PM
  #608
Roughing
Registered User
 
Roughing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Frederick, MD
Country: United States
Posts: 861
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
while i'm thinking about it. remember matt bradley talking about how guys like him should get more minutes than the alex semin's of the world?? here tonight is a sure example of how not to do that.
With Dale, Bradley would either lead us in TOI or be benched for insufficient diving skills.

Roughing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2012, 10:07 PM
  #609
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?
 
NobodyBeatsTheWiz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Old Town
Posts: 18,672
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
laid down? i think you can make a case that they were told to lie down or in some cases sit down.
Yes. They didn't show any fire and they were thoroughly outworked.

I'm not excusing DH one iota. His passive personality and style has seeped into the team's persona. It was a combination of ****** strategy and ****** motivating.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2012, 10:09 PM
  #610
Millhaus
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 5,525
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
@Millhaus: Who lost the face off on the tying goal? that was a d zone face off in the right circle. thats where you want a right shot center taking the face off. they had one there and let somebody else do it. the one they had there is among the league leaders in face offs. he sat. that is stupid.
He didn't sit he was on the ice. I have no idea why he didn't take the draw but it wasn't because he was stapled to the bench. http://www.nhl.com/scores/htmlreport...2/TH021112.HTM

Millhaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2012, 10:11 PM
  #611
troyerlaw
Life is party again
 
troyerlaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Los Angeles
Country: United States
Posts: 2,128
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by amin723 View Post
Buffalo's schedule is still pretty brutal with 2 back-to-backs left and some more tough road dates. I know they're flying high especially after beating the Rangers, but it will be tough for them to pick up as many points as the Caps, let alone surpass them.
????

They are playing 5X better than we are, and are beating difficult teams outright. All they need to do is earn a single point more than we do, and they have 'surpassed' us. Tonight we couldn't even earn 2 points when ahead by 3 goals at home against a team which has been weak all year long on the road.

Regarding the Sabres, I feel like we're on a freeway going 55, and they're going 70. We keep missing empty nets (tonight it was Knuble), and giving away points, and, as Alzner said, sh--ing the bed. We will be lucky to keep pace with BUF from here on out.

Our best shot now is to catch Ottawa.

troyerlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2012, 10:13 PM
  #612
txpd
Registered User
 
txpd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 39,801
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post
Yes. They didn't show any fire and they were thoroughly outworked.

I'm not excusing DH one iota. His passive personality and style has seeped into the team's persona. It was a combination of ****** strategy and ****** motivating.
i still see one thing. 8. 8 is rolling with energy and has his snipe on. the jets score a goal and he gets his shifts cut in half the rest of the game. semin barely got shifts after that himself. hunter took the energy that team had and shut it off and gave the keys to the team bus to jay beagle.

hell...had it been brooks laich and jason chimera i might understand a little bit. but hendricks and beagle??? these guys barely belong in the league.

txpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2012, 10:14 PM
  #613
troyerlaw
Life is party again
 
troyerlaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Los Angeles
Country: United States
Posts: 2,128
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
i still see one thing. 8. 8 is rolling with energy and has his snipe on. the jets score a goal and he gets his shifts cut in half the rest of the game. semin barely got shifts after that himself. hunter took the energy that team had and shut it off and gave the keys to the team bus to jay beagle.

hell...had it been brooks laich and jason chimera i might understand a little bit. but hendricks and beagle??? these guys barely belong in the league.
laich was godawful tonite. don't give him the keys to anything, let alone the team bus. i don't remember him playing a dumber, less effective game in a long time.

troyerlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2012, 10:14 PM
  #614
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?
 
NobodyBeatsTheWiz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Old Town
Posts: 18,672
vCash: 500
Hendricks and Beagle are closer to the skill level he's used to coaching.

I guess that's why he's more comfortable with them?

NobodyBeatsTheWiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2012, 10:17 PM
  #615
troyerlaw
Life is party again
 
troyerlaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Los Angeles
Country: United States
Posts: 2,128
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
i still see one thing. 8. 8 is rolling with energy and has his snipe on. the jets score a goal and he gets his shifts cut in half the rest of the game. semin barely got shifts after that himself. hunter took the energy that team had and shut it off and gave the keys to the team bus to jay beagle.

hell...had it been brooks laich and jason chimera i might understand a little bit. but hendricks and beagle??? these guys barely belong in the league.
i didn't think Semin was good tonite either. too many neutral-zone giveaways, not to mention the great chance he shanked off the side of the goal.

our team looked so goddamned tired in the 2nd half of the 3rd period. i really wish he had just asked, straight up, who still had any gas left and put them out there. because even when we would miraculously arrive at a puck first along our D-zone boards, our guys literally could not even lift the puck to clear it. that was one of the most egregious examples of energy differentials I can remember. the Jets were hustling, we were crawling inside of our own butts.

i think they should have rolled all four lines the whole night. and we should have continued to play some motherf---ing offense.

troyerlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2012, 10:19 PM
  #616
LetsGoBears
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 5,304
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post
His team laid down for the most important period this season. Not sure how motivating can be seen as a positive.

And I forgot to mention he's a terrible communicator as well. Sorry bout that.
I don't think the team laid down, but were just doing what they were told.

LetsGoBears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2012, 10:19 PM
  #617
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles
 
BrooklynCapsFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Brooklyn, New York
Posts: 14,382
vCash: 500
Presumably, McPhee vetted multiple candidates and decided that Dale Hunter was the best choice to work with this group of players. How do you keep your job after that kind of an error?

BrooklynCapsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2012, 10:20 PM
  #618
txpd
Registered User
 
txpd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 39,801
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Millhaus View Post
He didn't sit he was on the ice. I have no idea why he didn't take the draw but it wasn't because he was stapled to the bench. http://www.nhl.com/scores/htmlreport...2/TH021112.HTM
why let the best face off guy on the team take the draw when you can give it to the little marginal nhl player?

that game was a cluster f from a coaching stand point 6 ways to sunday. sure bench 15. fine. cut him.

yet, jay beagle who has never played 20 minutes in an nhl game is doing it on a back to back in a must win game? after 10 minutes of the 3rd period without a shot on goal and this lineup usage in flames, he doesnt adjust it??

losing that game has back breaking written all over it and dale hunter is going let the season and likely his nhl coaching opportunity rest on the skills of two nhl 4th line players with contracts around the league minimum.....with a two time nhl hart trophy winner on the team?????? good god.

do you know who admiral gunthier lutjens was??

txpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2012, 10:24 PM
  #619
Roughing
Registered User
 
Roughing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Frederick, MD
Country: United States
Posts: 861
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post
Hendricks and Beagle are closer to the skill level he's used to coaching.

I guess that's why he's more comfortable with them?
I could almost live with the "play your checking line against their top line" if our checking line was actually good defensively. They (which changes constantly) aren't especially good at it though. They're the fourth (sometimes 3rd) line, i.e., our 10-12th best forwards, the line least likely to score. That's it. True, Hendo-Beag-Ward have had some good moments, and true OV doesn't spend much energy on D, but there's no reason to keep giving major minutes to that line (and I know Ward was out tonight).

Roughing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2012, 10:26 PM
  #620
txpd
Registered User
 
txpd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 39,801
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by troyerlaw View Post
i didn't think Semin was good tonite either. too many neutral-zone giveaways, not to mention the great chance he shanked off the side of the goal..
at somepoint you have to trust your team's games to the players paid to win the games.

this tonight was playing overtime to get the shootout and playing jay beagle every other shift for the last 30 minutes of the game?

if making a mistake means you grab some bench for the rest of the night and the next month, this team will never take a chance to make a play.

yea...i am fed up. if getting rid of dale hunter means mcphee has to go, see ya.

i fully expect that ovechkin had a freaking fit after this game. jay beagle? if dale would rather have 83 on the ice with the game on the line than 8, he deserves what he gets.

txpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2012, 10:26 PM
  #621
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?
 
NobodyBeatsTheWiz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Old Town
Posts: 18,672
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynCapsFan View Post
Presumably, McPhee vetted multiple candidates and decided that Dale Hunter was the best choice to work with this group of players. How do you keep your job after that kind of an error?
I think you presume wrongly.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2012, 10:28 PM
  #622
Liberati0n
Full Hammock
 
Liberati0n's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 8,013
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post
I think you presume wrong.
I agree, and yet it raises the same exact question either way.

Liberati0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2012, 10:29 PM
  #623
Roughing
Registered User
 
Roughing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Frederick, MD
Country: United States
Posts: 861
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
i fully expect that ovechkin had a freaking fit after this game. jay beagle? if dale would rather have 83 on the ice with the game on the line than 8, he deserves what he gets.
At least it appears OV can still be OV. Might be some truth to 8 just being handicapped/pissed about the (awful) approach.

Roughing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2012, 10:29 PM
  #624
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?
 
NobodyBeatsTheWiz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Old Town
Posts: 18,672
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonsofcain View Post
I agree, and yet it raises the same exact question either way.
True enough.

But the talk about how GMGM wanted Hunter when he hired Hanlon leads me to believe he was always the guy.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2012, 10:31 PM
  #625
Roughing
Registered User
 
Roughing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Frederick, MD
Country: United States
Posts: 861
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post
I think you presume wrongly.
Yeah, sounds like he didn't consider any other candidates at all. DFH has been the next coach for some time. Awesome.

(...time to get GM the **** out of here...)

Roughing is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:14 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.