HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Notices

Gooses @ Eagles. 7pm. Verizon Center. 11.23.2012

Old
03-23-2012, 10:33 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roughing View Post
Yeah, sounds like he didn't consider any other candidates at all. DFH has been the next coach for some time. Awesome.

(...time to get GM the **** out of here...)
Well they were advertising 2012-13 full season ticket plans at the game tonight, so that's one feather GMGM no longer has in his hat. I mean, it should be curtains for him regardless, but I'd think missing the playoffs would really be the final straw.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
Liberati0n
Full Hammock

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post
True enough.

But the talk about how GMGM wanted Hunter when he hired Hanlon leads me to believe he was always the guy.
Yeah, I agree. I just think his being the guy was based largely on totally irrelevant factors, and that is probably more of an indictment of McPhee than what BCF suggested.

Liberati0n is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

Quote:
I think you presume wrongly.
If that's true and Leonsis is aware of it, well, I don't know what to say.

Can you imagine hiring a vendor at work that you didn't vet? If it turned out like this, I'd be fired inside of ten seconds.

BrooklynCapsFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2012, 10:37 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonsofcain View Post
Yeah, I agree. I just think his being the guy was based largely on totally irrelevant factors, and that is probably more of an indictment of McPhee than what BCF suggested.
Totally agree. I said it the moment he was hired. If Dale Hunter wasn't a former Cap, he doesn't get the job.

The saddest part is, he was more than likely not even the best ex-Cap candidate.

Old
03-23-2012, 10:38 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynCapsFan View Post

Can you imagine hiring a vendor at work that you didn't vet? If it turned out like this, I'd be fired inside of ten seconds.
Yep, and all we can do is hope that Ted is shopping for 2 new GMs this summer.

Old
03-23-2012, 10:41 PM
tycoonheart

This is what the Caps are... a bunch of boneheaded players. They make the most retarded mistakes at the most inopportune time. Noovy is inconsistent as all hell. I don't think the guy made a single big save today. That first goal, he should've had it from what I saw. Players just sitting around in the defensive zone rather than trying to make an effort on the puck. I mean, you wont win playing like that. Its like these bunch of players want to play offense but want nothing to do with defense.

tycoonheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2012, 10:46 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tycoonheart View Post
This is what the Caps are... a bunch of boneheaded players. They make the most retarded mistakes at the most inopportune time. Noovy is inconsistent as all hell. I don't think the guy made a single big save today. That first goal, he should've had it from what I saw. Players just sitting around in the defensive zone rather than trying to make an effort on the puck. I mean, you wont win playing like that. Its like these bunch of players want to play offense but want nothing to do with defense.
None of it falls on the guy in charge?

Old
03-23-2012, 10:52 PM
tycoonheart

Quote:
Ultimately I guess it falls on the coach (more so the GM who recruited these idiots). Wish Dale had taken a look at the Jets/Pens game and tried to do what the Pens did. Its a mess everywhere if you ask me.

Old
03-23-2012, 10:54 PM
tycoonheart

*** Laich fighting up 3-1, seriously? Does it get more boneheaded than that?

Old
03-23-2012, 11:02 PM
sunnydaycrash

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
at somepoint you have to trust your team's games to the players paid to win the games.

this tonight was playing overtime to get the shootout and playing jay beagle every other shift for the last 30 minutes of the game?

if making a mistake means you grab some bench for the rest of the night and the next month, this team will never take a chance to make a play.

yea...i am fed up. if getting rid of dale hunter means mcphee has to go, see ya.

i fully expect that ovechkin had a freaking fit after this game. jay beagle? if dale would rather have 83 on the ice with the game on the line than 8, he deserves what he gets.

sunnydaycrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2012, 11:04 PM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

Quote:
Oh the irony!!!!!

Stupidity and laziness rule supreme in these guys. Ingrained for years.

HSHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2012, 11:06 PM
bishop12
Ovyously

Hang this loss on Hunter...not playing Ovy in the 3rd is just playing right into the hands of the Jets. Fcking stupid.

bishop12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2012, 11:22 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSHS View Post
Oh the irony!!!!!

Stupidity and laziness rule supreme in these guys. Ingrained for years.
Hey, the guy I backed won the division 4 straight times and a President's Trophy. He's also actually a good coach.

Old
03-23-2012, 11:27 PM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

Quote:
Hey, the guy I backed won the division 4 straight times and a President's Trophy. He's also actually a good coach.
No one doubted he first. And some couldn't care less. Some cared about the process... And led us to not agree with your ladder statement.

I don't necessarily disagree with your rant. Still funny.

HSHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2012, 11:29 PM
tycoonheart

We won during the Bruce years because of Ovi, Semin, Backstrom and Green. That is it. Ovi was insane potting 50+ goals year after year. Semin had a couple of nice seasons, Backie was healthy and playing well and Green was having a career year for himself. Fast forward to now... Ovi is no where near his 50+ goals self (though he is been awesome recently), Backstrom is hurt, Semin is inconsistent and struggling to score goals and Green hasn't been able to find his offensive game since coming back from injury. Its a horribly assembled roster that depended SOLELY on their superstars for years. I pray to God Ted has the gonads to fire McPhee after this season. I've been telling you guy not to get your hopes up regarding that... and I won't be shocked at all to see him retained for next season.

Old
03-23-2012, 11:38 PM
IafrateOvie34

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnydaycrash View Post
Agreed I wanted Mac T
He was my top pick, Muller second. That was before Hunter was even in the picture. I'm convinced some these guys couldn't play with any coach. The next coach would get two games before people raise their pitchforks.

IafrateOvie34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2012, 11:40 PM
IafrateOvie34

Quote:
Originally Posted by mind_the_gap View Post
Hang this loss on Hunter...not playing Ovy in the 3rd is just playing right into the hands of the Jets. Fcking stupid.
I've been a supporter of Hunter and I agree he shouldn't have let down the play in the third.

IafrateOvie34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2012, 11:41 PM
californiacapsfan
Registered Voter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynCapsFan View Post

He was "vetted" in that he has a winning history in London and a good relationship with GMGM. They know each other and McPhee said he's wanted Hunter to be the coach for years.

It's the opposite of good management. McPhee made his mind up years ago and was just waiting for the right confluence of results.

And this is the result.

californiacapsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2012, 11:45 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
We won during the Bruce years because of Ovi, Semin, Backstrom and Green. That is it. Ovi was insane potting 50+ goals year after year. Semin had a couple of nice seasons, Backie was healthy and playing well and Green was having a career year for himself. Fast forward to now... Ovi is no where near his 50+ goals self (though he is been awesome recently), Backstrom is hurt, Semin is inconsistent and struggling to score goals and Green hasn't been able to find his offensive game since coming back from injury. Its a horribly assembled roster that depended SOLELY on their superstars for years. I pray to God Ted has the gonads to fire McPhee after this season. I've been telling you guy not to get your hopes up regarding that... and I won't be shocked at all to see him retained for next season.
********. We won because we had a coach that knew how to coach to the player's strengths and properly motivate them. The 2009-10 Caps were by far, the best team in the NHL. Look at that defense. Bruce coached the best team in the NHL with **** on the blueline.

The lack of credit Bruce gets on this board, especially now that we're seeing the cracks in the playing staff, is absurd.

Old
03-23-2012, 11:48 PM
tycoonheart

We didn't win crap under Bruce though. Meaningless regular season stats that's all we were good for.

Old
03-23-2012, 11:52 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
We didn't win crap under Bruce.
4 division titles and a President's Trophy.

I can see the oncoming refrain now: "We didn't win a Cup! That's all that matters *rabble* *rabble* *rabble*."

That's such an over-simplistic and silly way to evaluate a coach. 29 of 30 coaches don't win the Cup every single season.

Old
03-23-2012, 11:58 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
Meaningless regular season stats that's all we were good for.
'Meaningless regular season stats' seem awfully important right now.

Old
03-24-2012, 12:11 AM
Atlas

The Caps are a mediocre team, guys and gals. The coaching is the least of our worries. Almost every position needs addressing. Ovie a #1LW is established. Backstrom at 1C is set (if he comes back healthy). Alzner is a solid #2 or #3 D. Brouwer is good at 3 RW. Chimera is fine if playing wing on the 4th line. Orlov is a solid bottom pair D right now.

Every other position is either outright bad or a question mark. The goalie position is a total unknown. Holtby looks best and he's played 3 games this year. The D is a clunky, wimpy and lacking cohesion. Our centers might be the NHL's worst. We have one 30 goal scorer.

McPhee has built a sucky team.

Atlas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2012, 12:13 AM
Backstrom #19
Fire them all

vCash: 50
Quote:
We didn't win crap under Bruce though. Meaningless regular season stats that's all we were good for.
At least those teams made the playoffs.

Backstrom #19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2012, 12:41 AM
txpd

Quote:
well....we didnt lose must win games with the team's best players watching from the bench while boyd gordon and matt bradley played TWENTY F......ING MINUTES!!!!!!!!!!

@Coon....yea. the caps won because of ov, semin, backstrom and green. the coach at the time let ov be ov. he let green explode rather than stick a boat anchor on his leg and tell him the cruise the d zone and stay there.

i think thats the point nbtw is making. boudreau coached his team. with a one goal lead and an empty net at the other end boudreau had ovechkin and green on the ice. they would get the puck, make a pass and someone put in the empty net...game over. under hunter ovechkin has never seen the ice with an empty net at the other end.

NOW....with a one goal lead starting the third period ovechkin barely gets in the game. his ice time is turned over to scrubs. when after 10 minutes the caps havent a shot on goal and can barely get the puck out of their own end, the coach doubles down on his 4th line heros and the team is doomed....while a two time league mvp watches the game go by.

after letting it sink in a bit, i had a hideous flashback. watching this was like watching doig and kiwi getting prime ice time while witt and johansson watched from the bench wondering if the coach had finally snapped his twig? this guy now would rather skate beagle and hendricks with the game in the balance than ovechkin and semin. $1.4m in cap hit rather than $16m. thats with ovechkin and semin having pretty good games going when the coach pulled the plug on them.

Last edited by txpd: 03-24-2012 at 12:49 AM.
txpd is online now   Reply With Quote