HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Notices

Gooses @ Eagles. 7pm. Verizon Center. 11.23.2012

Old
03-24-2012, 10:09 AM
Langway
Floatvechkin

vCash: 500
It's never a this or that choice when it comes to lines. There are four lines at Hunter's disposal. Semin's line saw less and less TOI as well and they are generally the line that best moves the puck in the right direction.

Becoming a slave to match-ups embodies everything that has been wrong about this team for well over a year now. Overcompensating for past excesses at its finest.

Langway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2012, 10:10 AM
bonzaibondra12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millhaus View Post
I hate this kind of 'analysis.' I can run blindly into traffic over and over and not get hit but that doesn't make it a smart thing to do. The Caps have been playing with fire with this sit back and try to do nothing but defend for entire 3rd periods since Hunter got here. It is stupid in general and especially so when you do not have the roster to pull it off.

And just because they didn't not walk away with 2 points before last night doesn't mean they didn't give up a few 3rd points so that stat was always a disingenuous one.
I am pretty sure they read off a stat a few weeks ago where we were near the top in 3rd period goals.

bonzaibondra12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2012, 10:12 AM
Vladiator16
R.I.P - Loko.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vladiator16 View Post
We should've had more than 1 goal in that period. I hope it doesnt bite us in the ass like yesterday.

The way we played in the 3rd we deserved what we've got.

Vladiator16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2012, 10:15 AM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

Caps are still making the playoffs. Still wait and see.

Quite frankly I'm okay with the outcome. A pt on b2b is always welcome. But the way they got there was just pathetic. And I agree being up 3 and losing that way is just horrid. Tired and defensive... You should still put that team to bed.

HSHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2012, 10:17 AM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

Backstrom almost there.... Time to ***** about his ice time!

Old
03-24-2012, 10:19 AM
sunnydaycrash

Quote:
Originally Posted by tycoonheart View Post
Its funny you say this because Ovi was on the ice just floating around doing nothing when they scored the OT goal.
You're right he did float out there , and although it's no excuse , can you imagine this teams morale watching Hunter coach them into a shell in the 3rd period?

sunnydaycrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2012, 10:20 AM
tycoonheart

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
sounds like you want a return to the no name lunchbucket hockey of the steve konowalchuk days. good teams. hard working. generally unremarkable. but sure. we can do that.
Why can't superstars play defense and work hard? It is about willingness and buying into the system. Ovi is a world class shooter, him putting in effort in the defensive zone isn't going to take away from him scoring goals. Its not one or the other, tx, you can have both here.

tycoonheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2012, 10:22 AM
Millhaus

Quote:
So really Hunter's options are:

1. Play Beagle and Hendricks, two who don't score but don't let the other team score on them either
2. Play Ovi who scores but lets the other team score on him

Its a lose-lose situation for Hunter.
You act like Hunter is sitting there wondering which poison to pick? That isn't the case at all as he is so devoted to matching up his checkers with the other team's top line that the decision is made for him by the other team's coach.

Noel even said it. They knew as long as they kept throwing out their top line that Beagle's line was going to be out there and Ovechkin, who was sitting on 2 goals, was not.

To waste a vintage performance by Ovechkin like that is criminal. To have it done not by the other team figuring out how to slow him down on the ice but instead keeping him off the ice and out of the flow of the game because of his own coach's decisions is embarrassing.

Millhaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2012, 10:24 AM
Millhaus

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonzaibondra12 View Post
I am pretty sure they read off a stat a few weeks ago where we were near the top in 3rd period goals.
Was it broken down by whether the Caps were leading, tied, or behind going into the 3rd? If not it was meaningless to this discussion.

Millhaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2012, 10:25 AM
sunnydaycrash

Quote:
You act like Hunter is sitting there wondering which poison to pick? That isn't the case at all as he is so devoted to matching up his checkers with the other team's top line that the decision is made for him by the other team's coach.

Noel even said it. They knew as long as they kept throwing out their top line that Beagle's line was going to be out there and Ovechkin, who was sitting on 2 goals, was not.

To waste a vintage performance by Ovechkin like that is criminal. To have it done not by the other team figuring out how to slow him down on the ice but instead keeping him off the ice and out of the flow of the game because of his own coach's decisions is embarrassing.
Exactly and we all know this isn't the first time.....Ovi sat for a long stretch against the flyers while Hunter was line matching against Jagr

sunnydaycrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2012, 10:30 AM
tycoonheart

Does anyone else like Ovi's new celebration? The fake stick break on knee thing... I love it.

tycoonheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2012, 10:34 AM
marcel snapshot

Paid homage to last night's debacle by going to the golf course this morning. That's where Caps will be in 2 weeks unless they can muster gumption than they displayed last night.

marcel snapshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2012, 10:36 AM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrwarden View Post
They all come around to my views eventually.
You wanted to keep Bruce, no?

I still don't think that would have worked. Maybe if McPhee had the stones to trade half the team, but we know he doesn't.

BrooklynCapsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2012, 10:42 AM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

Line matching isn't the worst thing in the world. But the two big reasons it's an absolutely idiotic idea with this team:

1) Our depth and checkers is terrible. We're not going to stop anyone's top line with the likes of Beagle and Matt Hendricks, so what's the point in trying.

2) Our stars suck at defense. Matching lines works really when you have players like Hossa, Datsyuk and Crosby -players who actually give a **** about the defensive game and don't float like morons. Not only will those players put up offense, but they'll do it while wasting the ice time of the opposition's top forwards. We don't have players like that.

BrooklynCapsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2012, 11:09 AM
caps4cup
Dynasty

Oh well. Keep playing the way we did the 1st 2 periods the whole game, and we will be 7th seed.

And I know both could've happened, but I'd rather have had the game go the way it did, and get Backstrom back, then not have him back.

caps4cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2012, 11:19 AM
muffinarm

Quote:
Why can't superstars play defense and work hard? It is about willingness and buying into the system. Ovi is a world class shooter, him putting in effort in the defensive zone isn't going to take away from him scoring goals. Its not one or the other, tx, you can have both here.
Teams loaded with talent that work hard generally give themselves chances to win championships. When your highest paid players work the hardest it sets a perfect example of how to be a successful team up and down the lineup. It's no accident that the two most consistent teams over the past five years are Detroit and Pittsburgh, two clubs that have superstar players but also a tenacious work ethic.

muffinarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2012, 11:22 AM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSHS View Post
Cup? No. We didn't win ****. I don't give a rats ass where we are now vs then. It was a ton more fun. But like a bad night out we woke up feeling crappy.

This team's talent isn't close to those BB wasted.... Or gmgm wasted I should say. Not by a longshot.
Yeah, we did. Again, it's inarguable that we won the division 4 times and a Presidents Trophy.

And blah blah blah, the regular seasons doesn't mean ****...until it does.

As much as you despised his style, Bruce was a good coach and is still a good coach.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2012, 11:24 AM
bonzaibondra12

Quote:
Was it broken down by whether the Caps were leading, tied, or behind going into the 3rd? If not it was meaningless to this discussion.
Pretty sure last night was the first time they blew a 3rd period lead. So shouldn't matter.

They've scored when they had to.

Last night it was obvious they were dead tired, and the Jets had to get two points or their season was over. Recipe for disaster.

bonzaibondra12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2012, 11:24 AM
RandyHolt
Kuz My Arse Beach

vCash: 50
Quote:
I hate this kind of 'analysis.'...
I hate "I am not entertained enough" analysis.

Even in its first full blown lead meltdown mode inducing shell game super choke failure, we still eek'd out a point. It was not total failure.

This team has issues. C - nuff said. D - young and soft. G's - never even steal a game for us, we don't even have a number 1 established. Dale - a green horn coach may be a problem but what would you do to fix the previous 3. Run and gun?

The team was a mess and band aids were needed. Ovi is back online while being responsible more than ever. While I want more TOI for him, its hard to complain with his scoring production in the shell game. I want to see more of MP including trusting him to take faceoffs.

On that note. what's up with Laich at 48.3%.

Its just one point we missed out on. It wasn't a game 7.

Last edited by RandyHolt: 03-24-2012 at 11:31 AM.
RandyHolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2012, 11:36 AM
IafrateOvie34

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
Its the first time his shell blew a lead proper. Maybe Dale has seen a real reason to change besides fan boredom. I don't know another style that would dominate with our C's and G's right now. We are hovering around 500 in the shell game.

I wanted Holtby and want Holtby. Neuvy has had his chance. We need a f'in goalie.

Tex do you think Beagle gets 20 a game if Nick comes back? You do know he is skating, right? Give it time.

We all come around? No, we go back on ignore eventually.
I wanted him to be the starter last playoffs and this season. I don't like GMGM, but I can understand getting Vokoun for his price. Holtby was really on fire last year before the playoffs and we started Neuvirth. I don't dislike Neuvirth, but I feel he is a guy you can add in a package for a legitimate need. Holtby is a keeper.

IafrateOvie34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2012, 11:39 AM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post
Yeah, we did. Again, it's inarguable that we won the division 4 times and a Presidents Trophy.

And blah blah blah, the regular seasons doesn't mean ****...until it does.

As much as you despised his style, Bruce was a good coach and is still a good coach.
No one argues those short lived accomplishments. It's made everyone lots of money. BB, players, gmgm, and Ted.

I think bb is a good coach, not great. I think he'll become better as he moves on. And I think he'll be more successful overall in Anaheim. It's not his style I despised. It's his leadership and decision making as a first time NHL coach with the young, impressionable roster. IMHO it would have been best for this team and it's players long term development if he moved on post-Montreal.

That's the root of my decision. It took time to get there. Unlike those who jump to emotional conclusions after 50 games.

There really is no realistic shot this season. Hope for a series win. About it. Doesn't necessarily mean dh tactics and decisions aren't the best for the core that comes into next season. And I'd hope those leaned on players by then aren't the ones we have now.

Old
03-24-2012, 11:45 AM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynCapsFan View Post
Line matching isn't the worst thing in the world. But the two big reasons it's an absolutely idiotic idea with this team:

1) Our depth and checkers is terrible. We're not going to stop anyone's top line with the likes of Beagle and Matt Hendricks, so what's the point in trying.

2) Our stars suck at defense. Matching lines works really when you have players like Hossa, Datsyuk and Crosby -players who actually give a **** about the defensive game and don't float like morons. Not only will those players put up offense, but they'll do it while wasting the ice time of the opposition's top forwards. We don't have players like that.
Agreed 100%. But the impression it's leaving on those skilled, floaters is there now. How will they handle it if we get 1 or 2 calahan's?

Not that I expect this gm to be able to tell the difference between laich and calahan. But if he does. I'd expect this board to flip when we send skilled players for well rounded ones

Old
03-24-2012, 12:04 PM
Stewie G
Erskine for Norris

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
I hate "I am not entertained enough" analysis.

Even in its first full blown lead meltdown mode inducing shell game super choke failure, we still eek'd out a point. It was not total failure.

This team has issues. C - nuff said. D - young and soft. G's - never even steal a game for us, we don't even have a number 1 established. Dale - a green horn coach may be a problem but what would you do to fix the previous 3. Run and gun?

The team was a mess and band aids were needed. Ovi is back online while being responsible more than ever. While I want more TOI for him, its hard to complain with his scoring production in the shell game. I want to see more of MP including trusting him to take faceoffs.

On that note. what's up with Laich at 48.3%.

Its just one point we missed out on. It wasn't a game 7.
I'm know you think the man's farts smell like a rose garden, but You don't get a point in the playoffs for that type of result.

Stewie G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2012, 01:06 PM
NeilYoung

Coach to win, not to loose you plug

NeilYoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2012, 01:08 PM
Atlas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewie G View Post
I'm know you think the man's farts smell like a rose garden, but You don't get a point in the playoffs for that type of result.

I would go to war with Dale.

Say what you want about his coaching (I'm not convinced for or against) but Dale Hunter wants the Caps to win the Stanley Cup obsessively. That monomania, that singleness of purpose is a critical element. Ted doesn't care all that much, McPhee doesn't care all that much--both of them work at it--but Dale hardly cares about anything else.

McPhee would trade guys to friendly franchises and do favors for players. Dale doesn't give a **** about that--he will do whatever it takes to make the Caps champs.

Can he do it? I'm not sure. But that seriousness is what I want from the key members of the organization.

Atlas is offline   Reply With Quote