Notices

Nick Johnson

Old
04-08-2012, 09:21 PM
Pigs On The Wing

vCash: 500
Nick Johnson

Pens fan coming in peace.

I was a fan of Nick Johnson when he was our system, I liked what we showed in his brief NHL stints here. I was bummed out that we lost him to waivers, but I'm happy to see he put up respectable numbers on the Wild this season. Has he been an effective player? Do you think he has a role on the team going forward? etc.

Pigs On The Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 09:26 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

He started out great and was invisible the last 20~30 games but I'm sure they'll keep him.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 10:27 PM
Dr Jan Itor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Definition View Post
Pens fan coming in peace.

I was a fan of Nick Johnson when he was our system, I liked what we showed in his brief NHL stints here. I was bummed out that we lost him to waivers, but I'm happy to see he put up respectable numbers on the Wild this season. Has he been an effective player? Do you think he has a role on the team going forward? etc.
He's viable option on the 4th line RW; young(ish) and cheap. His disappearance started when he was "promoted" to 1st line, which he realistically should've never sniffed. I think we bring him back.

Dr Jan Itor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 11:12 PM
Billy Mays Here
Optimistic Pessimist

vCash: 50
We either bring him back for the 4th line or don't bring him back at all. I'm fine with whichever we choose to do.

Billy Mays Here is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 11:20 PM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

He'll be back without question. We have the option to just tender him an offer, and you don't just let go of assets because you feel like it.

squidz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 11:56 PM
Avder
Is only game.

I could honestly go either way on him.

Avder is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2012, 06:39 AM
vitogor

He started the season great, the line of Powe-Brodziak-Johnson was probably the best 3rd line we've had in a long time. Then something happened to him, to the point that Yeo basically called him out for mailing it in. Maybe he thinks he is a ****ing All-Star now?

vitogor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2012, 08:42 AM
this providence
Chips in Bed Theorem

I like him. Not a huge fan but he's a capable player.

It's really no surprise why he "disappeared", in my view at least. It was two fold. Injuries forced him up the line-up into a spot where he just doesn't have the skill set to play. Then, when he was dropped back down, he lost some of the Wild's NHL 3rd-4th line depth players to play with as those players were now still up a line or two and he was relegated to playing with players who will have a difficult time finding NHL work next season.

If Johnson is in his role and the rest of the Wild's team is in their's; he's a good fit. He's absolutely a replaceable player at some point but he's a solid NHL spot filler for the time being. We'll see where he's at next year.

After Meaningless Win - 3/29/12 - Game 77 | SoH-"Who knows, that could have cost us a Cup tonight." | Dooohkay
this providence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2012, 08:49 AM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

It's worth noting, even after he "disappeared" his +/- wasn't bad. His only minus games were blowout losses and a really bad night against Chicago.

Old
04-09-2012, 10:12 AM
bozak911
Ignoring Idiots

I wouldn't mind moving Johnson for a pick plus a perennial AHL All Star to help Houston.

Who owns Brett Sterling's rights now?

bozak911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2012, 10:20 AM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

Nothing wrong with Johnson. Was a consistent player but obviously not the kind of guy who stands out on a scoring line. I'd say he fits Yeo's oft preached "hard to play against" mentality to a tee. As others have said, he's replaceable just like any other 4th liner but he's good at his job, knows the system, and is cheap so why get rid of him?

rynryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2012, 10:34 AM
bozak911
Ignoring Idiots

Quote:
Originally Posted by rynryn View Post
so why get rid of him?
For me?

It's a roster spot that I'd like to see filled by someone else. That's about it.

Old
04-09-2012, 10:36 AM
nickschultzfan

I am not impressed with him. He's a decent hockey player, but he's too much of a jack-of-all-trades-master-of-none to stick with any NHL team for long. Yeah, he fills a roster spot, but you can't get any more "eh".

I attribute his points in the beginning of the season to Brodziak's emergence as a 3rd line threat. Back then, we had some depth in the top-6, so our 3rd line could suprise our opponents with some great puck control in the offensive zone.

Maybe he's around next season. Maybe he's not. But if I am building the Wild 3rd line of the future, it's going to be Brodziak, and two of Larsson, Zucker, and Bulmer. (With a 4th line of Powe, Clutterbuck, and Kassian).

nickschultzfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2012, 10:47 AM
bozak911
Ignoring Idiots

RE; NSF building 3rd/4th lines

I think I'd rather do;

Cullen - Brodziak - Clutterbuck
Bulmer - Powe - Kassian/(rotating AHL kid)

Old
04-09-2012, 10:55 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Also playing on a line with Heatley.

Really outside a nice streak in late Nov/early Dec and that 3 point game, he produced very, very little. And there's no point in giving a roster spot to a guy who doesn't put up numbers, is meh defensively, and isn't a heavyweight.

Old
04-09-2012, 12:02 PM
OpRedDawn

vCash: 127
I like him because he's one of the only guys on the team that can forecheck and win a battle along the boards. And, actually be around the net. Definitely want him back.

OpRedDawn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2012, 02:09 PM
Spawnisen
Believe.

I definetely want him back for 1 more year. He really showed something else this year, and yeah I'm optimistic but maybe he can get a little better next year too.

Spawnisen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2012, 02:21 PM
saywut

Expecting him back, but I really don't care for his game. Not skilled enough for the top-6, not gritty or reliable defensively enough for the bottom-6, can't play special teams, not involved in the shootouts, can't fight(though he's tried a couple times), and no versatility as he's strictly a RW. I guess he's "ok" on a 3rd line who's not playing a match-up role against the other team's top-line, but ideally you'd want that 3rd line to be able to match-up, and it can't really match-up with him. Once you factor in Almond/McMillan will no longer be exempt from waivers and you have to wonder if Johnson's worth keeping over either of them. Guys that can fight, kill penalties, play multiple positions, and be solid defensively. Its an easy decision for me on a 4th line role. 3rd line? I'd agree with the decision we made this season(Johnson), given our lack of scoring depth.

saywut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2012, 10:44 PM
Northland Wild Man
Run The Goalie!

I'm not sure if the Wild should bring Johnson back or not. on one hand he can be tough and physical, but on the other hand he can't finish. If he stays on the fourth line I'm ok with it.

Northland Wild Man is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2012, 01:32 AM
Victorious Secret
Need home, pls adopt

vCash: 5973
I'd like to see him back. We haven't made him a scapegoat yet, so hes doing pretty good in my book. He played pretty good defense and chipped in a goal now and then. I thought he fit in nicely on the third line. If hes pushed back to the fourth line. Who cares? He'll see limited minutes and we know he'll put them to good use. Its not like hes going to be eating up a bunch of salary or taking Granlund's roster spot. He'll be back.

Victorious Secret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2012, 08:16 AM
Circulartheory
@danccchan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northland Wild Man View Post
I'm not sure if the Wild should bring Johnson back or not. on one hand he can be tough and physical, but on the other hand he can't finish. If he stays on the fourth line I'm ok with it.
That is why I believe he will 100% be here next year. I don't see any reason he won't be here
  1. He's young
  2. He's cheap (near league minimum)
  3. He's NHL-ready
  4. He's a serviceable bottom six forward that plays physical and tough
  5. He eats 10-15 minutes a game without being a liability

Yes, he isn't a top goal scorer or a dynamic playmaker but his probable 700k/yr contract isn't paid for goals. That's what Mikko Koivu's 6.75mil and Heatley's 7.5mil contracts are for

Circulartheory is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2012, 08:50 AM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

How often do teams actually walk away from RFAs who have played a fair amount of NHL time? Campoli was a huge deal when Chicago did that last year. We've got people on this board clamoring for us to do that with two players.

Old
04-10-2012, 09:03 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Considering he'd make close to minimum it's really not that big of a deal. Sign him and if he sucks, waive him.

Old
04-10-2012, 10:30 AM
UMD05
Hobey Baker Champs

Nick Johnson will be on this team unless next year's depth makes him expendable at some point. He's too servicable for his cap hit to cut ties for nothing. Other players will have to force him out of the lineup.

UMD05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2012, 10:34 AM
bozak911
Ignoring Idiots

Quote:
Originally Posted by squidz View Post
How often do teams actually walk away from RFAs who have played a fair amount of NHL time? Campoli was a huge deal when Chicago did that last year. We've got people on this board clamoring for us to do that with two players.
I don't want to walk away from Johnson. My point is that I'd like to trade him.

He was tenth in rookie scoring, after all.