HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Minnesota Wild
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

A Look Ahead: 2012 NHL Entry Draft Pt. 2

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-30-2012, 11:26 AM
  #326
squidz*
dun worry he's cool
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: South of the Border
Country: United States
Posts: 11,897
vCash: 500
Sounds like Faksa suffered a severe concussion in game 4 of Kitchener's playoff series against Owen Sound. According to a guy in the prospects forum, "after 48 hours he's not responding well."

Wonder how that will impact his draft standing. He was a fringe top 10, probably 11-20 guy. With how great fears can be about concussions, if we pick a defenseman with our first I'd like maybe move up from our 2nd to grab him late 1st/early 2nd if he's there.

squidz* is offline  
Old
03-30-2012, 12:16 PM
  #327
forthewild
Registered User
 
forthewild's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 3,627
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by squidz View Post
Sounds like Faksa suffered a severe concussion in game 4 of Kitchener's playoff series against Owen Sound. According to a guy in the prospects forum, "after 48 hours he's not responding well."

Wonder how that will impact his draft standing. He was a fringe top 10, probably 11-20 guy. With how great fears can be about concussions, if we pick a defenseman with our first I'd like maybe move up from our 2nd to grab him late 1st/early 2nd if he's there.
it might be just me, but i would avoid anyone with a concussion, if he is there in rd 3 then sure.

forthewild is offline  
Old
03-30-2012, 12:57 PM
  #328
Generic User
Moderator
Generic Moderator
 
Generic User's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Twin Cities
Country: United States
Posts: 7,076
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by forthewild View Post
it might be just me, but i would avoid anyone with a concussion, if he is there in rd 3 then sure.
I think Fletcher would be crazy not to take him if he's there with our WSH 2nd. But he won't be, so no worries.

Generic User is offline  
Old
03-30-2012, 12:57 PM
  #329
GORGO
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: BABBITT, MN
Country: United States
Posts: 218
vCash: 500
Any MN born players anywhere in the top 50?

GORGO is offline  
Old
03-30-2012, 01:03 PM
  #330
this providence
Chips in Bed Theorem
 
this providence's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: St. Paul
Posts: 9,794
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GORGO View Post
Any MN born players anywhere in the top 50?
Fairly sure Trouba was born in Minnesota. Not sure how much time he actually spent here. As for others, not widely accepted but of course there's always a chance that a team out there will view a player differently and draft a MN player in that range.

__________________

After Meaningless Win - 3/29/12 - Game 77 | SoH-"Who knows, that could have cost us a Cup tonight." | Dooohkay
this providence is offline  
Old
03-30-2012, 01:04 PM
  #331
forthewild
Registered User
 
forthewild's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 3,627
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Generic User View Post
I think Fletcher would be crazy not to take him if he's there with our WSH 2nd. But he won't be, so no worries.
joey hishon suffered a concussion last year he's been out all year, it just too much of a damn risk if you ask me, if we are picking/trading up and a guy like ludvig bystrom is there we don't touch faksa

forthewild is offline  
Old
03-30-2012, 01:05 PM
  #332
Generic User
Moderator
Generic Moderator
 
Generic User's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Twin Cities
Country: United States
Posts: 7,076
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by this providence View Post
fairly sure trouba was born in minnesota. Not sure how much time he actually spent here. As for others, not widely accepted but of course there's always a chance that a team out there will view a player differently and draft a mn player in that range.
Islanders.

Generic User is offline  
Old
03-30-2012, 01:21 PM
  #333
SphinX
#Whytake7whenyouget3
 
SphinX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Stavanger, Norway
Country: Norway
Posts: 1,522
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by this providence View Post
Fairly sure Trouba was born in Minnesota.
And therefore he ends up here...

SphinX is offline  
Old
03-30-2012, 01:35 PM
  #334
squidz*
dun worry he's cool
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: South of the Border
Country: United States
Posts: 11,897
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by forthewild View Post
joey hishon suffered a concussion last year he's been out all year, it just too much of a damn risk if you ask me, if we are picking/trading up and a guy like ludvig bystrom is there we don't touch faksa
Bystrom won't be, and Faksa is (or at least nearly is) a top 10 talent. If he falls to the 2nd, you take a flier on him because every player in the 2nd has more issues or less talent than that.

squidz* is offline  
Old
03-30-2012, 01:49 PM
  #335
GORGO
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: BABBITT, MN
Country: United States
Posts: 218
vCash: 500
I haven't heard/seen much this year regarding players that are eligiable for the draft that are either born OR playing in MN.. Usually there are some articles or posts regarding highly rated MN High Schooler's-Junior's-Shattuck player's. Maybe were just seeing a down turn here the last couple year's? Seems like last year there wasn't much hype either. Hmmm. What do ya'll think?

GORGO is offline  
Old
03-30-2012, 02:01 PM
  #336
squidz*
dun worry he's cool
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: South of the Border
Country: United States
Posts: 11,897
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GORGO View Post
I haven't heard/seen much this year regarding players that are eligiable for the draft that are either born OR playing in MN.. Usually there are some articles or posts regarding highly rated MN High Schooler's-Junior's-Shattuck player's. Maybe were just seeing a down turn here the last couple year's? Seems like last year there wasn't much hype either. Hmmm. What do ya'll think?
This is a pretty dead year for Minnesota players. It seems that with the glut from two years ago (what, was it 3 or 4 Minnesotans in 2010's first round?) there's a bit of a shortage lately. I'll have to dig it up again, but it seems the highest HIGH-MN ranked players were 4th rounders at best, although there were a few Shattuck players projected slightly higher.

Edit: Found the CSS rankings. Last ranking it looks like Zach Stepan (Shattuck) is 44th NA Skater, which probably projects to an early 3rd rounder. Theodor Blueger (Shattuck) is ranked 69. John Draeger (Shattuck) is 71. Samuel Fajas (Shattuck) is 111. The first regular HS player is Jake Bischoff (Grand Rapids) at 132 (probably 6th round, late rounds are hard to predict).

Edit 2: Should have just found and posted this link


Last edited by squidz*: 03-30-2012 at 02:08 PM.
squidz* is offline  
Old
03-30-2012, 02:02 PM
  #337
Keke
Registered User
 
Keke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Helsinki, Finland
Country: Finland
Posts: 570
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GORGO View Post
I haven't heard/seen much this year regarding players that are eligiable for the draft that are either born OR playing in MN.. Usually there are some articles or posts regarding highly rated MN High Schooler's-Junior's-Shattuck player's. Maybe were just seeing a down turn here the last couple year's? Seems like last year there wasn't much hype either. Hmmm. What do ya'll think?
Well, here is one:

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/article...chool_players/

Keke is offline  
Old
03-30-2012, 02:03 PM
  #338
Dr Jan Itor
Registered User
 
Dr Jan Itor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: MinneSNOWta
Posts: 10,579
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by squidz View Post
This is a pretty dead year for Minnesota players. It seems that with the glut from two years ago (what, was it 3 or 4 Minnesotans in 2010's first round?) there's a bit of a shortage lately. I'll have to dig it up again, but it seems the highest HIGH-MN ranked players were 4th rounders at best, although there were a few Shattuck players projected slightly higher.
I've seen Dom Toninato (sp?) in the 3rd round on some mocks, but that's about it. There aren't any Leddy's, Gardiner's or McDonaugh's this year, that's for sure.

Dr Jan Itor is offline  
Old
03-30-2012, 02:12 PM
  #339
squidz*
dun worry he's cool
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: South of the Border
Country: United States
Posts: 11,897
vCash: 500
Too add to the Minnesotan discussion: I know there's one player TP was excited about who is a 2013 eligible (but I forget the name). Also Nathan "The Next One" MacKinnon played Shattuck U-16 and is currently the #1 guy for next year. He's playing in the Q right now though.

squidz* is offline  
Old
03-30-2012, 02:22 PM
  #340
this providence
Chips in Bed Theorem
 
this providence's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: St. Paul
Posts: 9,794
vCash: 500
The '13 kid is Fasching, Gopher commit. He's legit. No idea where he stands in terms of draft grades for that year, though. Based on everything I've seen of him, I wouldn't hesitate to draft him pretty much where ever the Wild may end up in the draft in that year.

this providence is offline  
Old
03-30-2012, 02:35 PM
  #341
forthewild
Registered User
 
forthewild's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 3,627
vCash: 500
I am not doubting faksa's skill just saying his concussion scares the **** out of me, he could miss a year or more before he gets back to playing hockey. Even then he is one hit away from reinjury. I would rather roll the dice on a dman such as damon seaverson or trade up and nab someone else in the first.

Too much risk for me.

forthewild is offline  
Old
03-30-2012, 02:38 PM
  #342
Minnesota
Global Moderator
L'Étoile du Nord
 
Minnesota's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Minnesota
Country: United States
Posts: 16,560
vCash: 1534
Quote:
Originally Posted by forthewild View Post
I am not doubting faksa's skill just saying his concussion scares the **** out of me, he could miss a year or more before he gets back to playing hockey. Even then he is one hit away from reinjury. I would rather roll the dice on a dman such as damon seaverson or trade up and nab someone else in the first.

Too much risk for me.
You know the majority of hockey players have had multiple concussions, right?

It's practically impossible to not sustain at least one concussion when you're playing contact sports at such high levels.

Minnesota is offline  
Old
03-30-2012, 02:39 PM
  #343
Dr Jan Itor
Registered User
 
Dr Jan Itor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: MinneSNOWta
Posts: 10,579
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnesota View Post
You know the majority of hockey players have had multiple concussions, right?

It's practically impossible to not sustain at least one concussion when you're playing contact sports at such high levels.
That doesn't seem even close to accurate.

Dr Jan Itor is offline  
Old
03-30-2012, 02:48 PM
  #344
squidz*
dun worry he's cool
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: South of the Border
Country: United States
Posts: 11,897
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Jan Itor View Post
That doesn't seem even close to accurate.
Outside of the "multiple" part of it, I've seen that speculated many times. However, there's no hard data to support that claim (namely because gathering that data would be pretty much impossible considering the current state of diagnosis and reporting upon head injuries).

squidz* is offline  
Old
03-30-2012, 02:50 PM
  #345
Minnesota
Global Moderator
L'Étoile du Nord
 
Minnesota's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Minnesota
Country: United States
Posts: 16,560
vCash: 1534
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Jan Itor View Post
That doesn't seem even close to accurate.
Okay, the majority of NHL hockey players.

Minnesota is offline  
Old
03-30-2012, 02:50 PM
  #346
Avder
Global Moderator
HFBoards: Night's Watch
 
Avder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Angryville, Madland.
Country: United States
Posts: 33,446
vCash: 200
I'm guessing its accurate, but the vast majority of those concussions are actually very very mild. Probably just a mild headache for a few days.

Avder is offline  
Old
03-30-2012, 02:59 PM
  #347
ProfessorMcFatty
Registered User
 
ProfessorMcFatty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Minneapolis
Country: United States
Posts: 103
vCash: 500
I don't doubt that pretty much every hockey player has had a concussion at some point. Anytime you're seeing stars, that's technically a concussion.

I've had everything ranging from stars, to a few missing weeks. But its only the latter that are of any real concern. Those, however, are significantly more rare.

ProfessorMcFatty is offline  
Old
03-30-2012, 03:24 PM
  #348
forthewild
Registered User
 
forthewild's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 3,627
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnesota View Post
You know the majority of hockey players have had multiple concussions, right?

It's practically impossible to not sustain at least one concussion when you're playing contact sports at such high levels.
Even if true, i still think there is too much risk on faksa for us. Kid is going to miss a good amount of time tho, just dont feel comfortqble gambling on him.

forthewild is offline  
Old
03-30-2012, 04:04 PM
  #349
firstroundbust
lacks explosiveness
 
firstroundbust's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Parts Unknown
Country: United States
Posts: 5,641
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GORGO View Post
Any MN born players anywhere in the top 50?

I think Trouba was born in Rochester, and Brady Skjei is from Lakeville. Those are really the only two concensus Top 50 guys I can think of w/ MN ties.

Not a particularly strong year for MNHS kids, but there could be a good number drafted since there is a "lack of value" late, meaning some teams will take chances.

firstroundbust is offline  
Old
03-30-2012, 04:07 PM
  #350
Jarick
Moderator
Doing Nothing
 
Jarick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: St Paul, MN
Country: United States
Posts: 24,315
vCash: 500
Concussions aren't an on/off switch. It's having multiple concussions before the brain is fully healed that causes issues.

My guess is concussions can be healed (unless there's serious, permanent, physical damage to the brain), but it might take a lot longer than we think, and/or there might be more therapy necessary. Like that spatial therapy Crosby was doing (and Lats is going to do).

Jarick is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:42 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.