Notices

A Look Ahead: 2012 NHL Entry Draft Pt. 2

Closed Thread

Old
03-30-2012, 11:26 AM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

vCash: 500
Sounds like Faksa suffered a severe concussion in game 4 of Kitchener's playoff series against Owen Sound. According to a guy in the prospects forum, "after 48 hours he's not responding well."

Wonder how that will impact his draft standing. He was a fringe top 10, probably 11-20 guy. With how great fears can be about concussions, if we pick a defenseman with our first I'd like maybe move up from our 2nd to grab him late 1st/early 2nd if he's there.

Old
03-30-2012, 12:16 PM
forthewild

Quote:
Originally Posted by squidz View Post
Sounds like Faksa suffered a severe concussion in game 4 of Kitchener's playoff series against Owen Sound. According to a guy in the prospects forum, "after 48 hours he's not responding well."

Wonder how that will impact his draft standing. He was a fringe top 10, probably 11-20 guy. With how great fears can be about concussions, if we pick a defenseman with our first I'd like maybe move up from our 2nd to grab him late 1st/early 2nd if he's there.
it might be just me, but i would avoid anyone with a concussion, if he is there in rd 3 then sure.

Old
03-30-2012, 12:57 PM
Generic User
Generic Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by forthewild View Post
it might be just me, but i would avoid anyone with a concussion, if he is there in rd 3 then sure.
I think Fletcher would be crazy not to take him if he's there with our WSH 2nd. But he won't be, so no worries.

Old
03-30-2012, 12:57 PM
GORGO

Any MN born players anywhere in the top 50?

Old
03-30-2012, 01:03 PM
this providence
Chips in Bed Theorem

Quote:
Originally Posted by GORGO View Post
Fairly sure Trouba was born in Minnesota. Not sure how much time he actually spent here. As for others, not widely accepted but of course there's always a chance that a team out there will view a player differently and draft a MN player in that range.

After Meaningless Win - 3/29/12 - Game 77 | SoH-"Who knows, that could have cost us a Cup tonight." | Dooohkay
Old
03-30-2012, 01:04 PM
forthewild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Generic User View Post
I think Fletcher would be crazy not to take him if he's there with our WSH 2nd. But he won't be, so no worries.
joey hishon suffered a concussion last year he's been out all year, it just too much of a damn risk if you ask me, if we are picking/trading up and a guy like ludvig bystrom is there we don't touch faksa

Old
03-30-2012, 01:05 PM
Generic User
Generic Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by this providence View Post
fairly sure trouba was born in minnesota. Not sure how much time he actually spent here. As for others, not widely accepted but of course there's always a chance that a team out there will view a player differently and draft a mn player in that range.
Islanders.

Old
03-30-2012, 01:21 PM
SphinX
#Whytake7whenyouget3

Quote:
Originally Posted by this providence View Post
Fairly sure Trouba was born in Minnesota.
And therefore he ends up here...

Old
03-30-2012, 01:35 PM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Quote:
joey hishon suffered a concussion last year he's been out all year, it just too much of a damn risk if you ask me, if we are picking/trading up and a guy like ludvig bystrom is there we don't touch faksa
Bystrom won't be, and Faksa is (or at least nearly is) a top 10 talent. If he falls to the 2nd, you take a flier on him because every player in the 2nd has more issues or less talent than that.

Old
03-30-2012, 01:49 PM
GORGO

I haven't heard/seen much this year regarding players that are eligiable for the draft that are either born OR playing in MN.. Usually there are some articles or posts regarding highly rated MN High Schooler's-Junior's-Shattuck player's. Maybe were just seeing a down turn here the last couple year's? Seems like last year there wasn't much hype either. Hmmm. What do ya'll think?

Old
03-30-2012, 02:01 PM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Quote:
I haven't heard/seen much this year regarding players that are eligiable for the draft that are either born OR playing in MN.. Usually there are some articles or posts regarding highly rated MN High Schooler's-Junior's-Shattuck player's. Maybe were just seeing a down turn here the last couple year's? Seems like last year there wasn't much hype either. Hmmm. What do ya'll think?
This is a pretty dead year for Minnesota players. It seems that with the glut from two years ago (what, was it 3 or 4 Minnesotans in 2010's first round?) there's a bit of a shortage lately. I'll have to dig it up again, but it seems the highest HIGH-MN ranked players were 4th rounders at best, although there were a few Shattuck players projected slightly higher.

Edit: Found the CSS rankings. Last ranking it looks like Zach Stepan (Shattuck) is 44th NA Skater, which probably projects to an early 3rd rounder. Theodor Blueger (Shattuck) is ranked 69. John Draeger (Shattuck) is 71. Samuel Fajas (Shattuck) is 111. The first regular HS player is Jake Bischoff (Grand Rapids) at 132 (probably 6th round, late rounds are hard to predict).

Edit 2: Should have just found and posted this link

Last edited by squidz*: 03-30-2012 at 02:08 PM.
Old
03-30-2012, 02:02 PM
Keke

Quote:
Well, here is one:

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/article...chool_players/

Old
03-30-2012, 02:03 PM
Dr Jan Itor

Quote:
Originally Posted by squidz View Post
This is a pretty dead year for Minnesota players. It seems that with the glut from two years ago (what, was it 3 or 4 Minnesotans in 2010's first round?) there's a bit of a shortage lately. I'll have to dig it up again, but it seems the highest HIGH-MN ranked players were 4th rounders at best, although there were a few Shattuck players projected slightly higher.
I've seen Dom Toninato (sp?) in the 3rd round on some mocks, but that's about it. There aren't any Leddy's, Gardiner's or McDonaugh's this year, that's for sure.

Old
03-30-2012, 02:12 PM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Too add to the Minnesotan discussion: I know there's one player TP was excited about who is a 2013 eligible (but I forget the name). Also Nathan "The Next One" MacKinnon played Shattuck U-16 and is currently the #1 guy for next year. He's playing in the Q right now though.

Old
03-30-2012, 02:22 PM
this providence
Chips in Bed Theorem

The '13 kid is Fasching, Gopher commit. He's legit. No idea where he stands in terms of draft grades for that year, though. Based on everything I've seen of him, I wouldn't hesitate to draft him pretty much where ever the Wild may end up in the draft in that year.

Old
03-30-2012, 02:35 PM
forthewild

I am not doubting faksa's skill just saying his concussion scares the **** out of me, he could miss a year or more before he gets back to playing hockey. Even then he is one hit away from reinjury. I would rather roll the dice on a dman such as damon seaverson or trade up and nab someone else in the first.

Too much risk for me.

Old
03-30-2012, 02:38 PM
Minnesota
Global Moderator
L'Étoile du Nord

vCash: 1534
Quote:
I am not doubting faksa's skill just saying his concussion scares the **** out of me, he could miss a year or more before he gets back to playing hockey. Even then he is one hit away from reinjury. I would rather roll the dice on a dman such as damon seaverson or trade up and nab someone else in the first.

Too much risk for me.
You know the majority of hockey players have had multiple concussions, right?

It's practically impossible to not sustain at least one concussion when you're playing contact sports at such high levels.

Old
03-30-2012, 02:39 PM
Dr Jan Itor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnesota View Post

It's practically impossible to not sustain at least one concussion when you're playing contact sports at such high levels.
That doesn't seem even close to accurate.

Old
03-30-2012, 02:48 PM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Jan Itor View Post
Outside of the "multiple" part of it, I've seen that speculated many times. However, there's no hard data to support that claim (namely because gathering that data would be pretty much impossible considering the current state of diagnosis and reporting upon head injuries).

Old
03-30-2012, 02:50 PM
Minnesota
Global Moderator
L'Étoile du Nord

vCash: 1534
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Jan Itor View Post
Okay, the majority of NHL hockey players.

Old
03-30-2012, 02:50 PM
Avder
Global Moderator
HFBoards: Night's Watch

vCash: 200
I'm guessing its accurate, but the vast majority of those concussions are actually very very mild. Probably just a mild headache for a few days.

Old
03-30-2012, 02:59 PM
ProfessorMcFatty

I don't doubt that pretty much every hockey player has had a concussion at some point. Anytime you're seeing stars, that's technically a concussion.

I've had everything ranging from stars, to a few missing weeks. But its only the latter that are of any real concern. Those, however, are significantly more rare.

Old
03-30-2012, 03:24 PM
forthewild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnesota View Post

Even if true, i still think there is too much risk on faksa for us. Kid is going to miss a good amount of time tho, just dont feel comfortqble gambling on him.

Old
03-30-2012, 04:04 PM
firstroundbust
lacks explosiveness

Quote:

I think Trouba was born in Rochester, and Brady Skjei is from Lakeville. Those are really the only two concensus Top 50 guys I can think of w/ MN ties.

Not a particularly strong year for MNHS kids, but there could be a good number drafted since there is a "lack of value" late, meaning some teams will take chances.

Old
03-30-2012, 04:07 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Concussions aren't an on/off switch. It's having multiple concussions before the brain is fully healed that causes issues.

My guess is concussions can be healed (unless there's serious, permanent, physical damage to the brain), but it might take a lot longer than we think, and/or there might be more therapy necessary. Like that spatial therapy Crosby was doing (and Lats is going to do).

Closed Thread