Notices

A Look Ahead: 2012 NHL Entry Draft Pt. 2

Closed Thread

Old
03-26-2012, 10:33 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

vCash: 500
I doubt they trade down 1-2 spots. Just take the player and go. We don't need multiple depth guys, we need high end.

Old
03-26-2012, 10:35 AM
Dr Jan Itor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
I doubt they trade down 1-2 spots. Just take the player and go. We don't need multiple depth guys, we need high end.
Well, if TP is right, and they'd pass on Yakupov no matter what, then why not kick the tires on whoever is drafting at #3? Say they'd be fine with either Murray or Galchenyuk, why not trade down and then take whoever remains? I'm not talking about trading down to 5 or 6, but a couple spots could net you something good if a team is desparate enough.

Old
03-26-2012, 10:36 AM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

RE: Russians

Remember, Galchenyuk is not a Russian. His family is from Belarus and he was born in Milwaukee (when his father was playing for the Admirals of the IHL). He's been playing NA hockey at least since 2009.

Old
03-26-2012, 10:37 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Jan Itor View Post
Well, if TP is right, and they'd pass on Yakupov no matter what, then why not kick the tires on whoever is drafting at #3? Say they'd be fine with either Murray or Galchenyuk, why not trade down and then take whoever remains? I'm not talking about trading down to 5 or 6, but a couple spots could net you something good if a team is desparate enough.
I don't think they will drop from #1 unless they're getting a real, real high end current NHL'er in return and I don't think they pass on Nail because of the Russian factor.

Old
03-26-2012, 10:38 AM
mnwildgophers

Quote:
Originally Posted by squidz View Post
Columbus has a 25% chance of "winning" the lottery, but remember, if anyone 6th or later wins the lottery, Columbus gets the same result. The only way the last place team doesn't "win" is if a team in 2nd-4th wins. It calculates out to about 48.2% chance Columbus picks 1st.
Perfect, I knew their odds were higher, thanks for the clarification. I knew it had to be higher than just 25% of retaining the #1 overall pick. They have very good odds of winning it then, about 2.5 times more likely than the #2 which is a good thing and makes sense as far as the draft should be run.

Old
03-26-2012, 10:38 AM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

If picking 1st and you don't want Yakupov, you have to either trade down, or pick Yakupov. It's not even really an option to do anything else. Now, if you're picking 2nd and don't want [player people think is ranked 2nd] you pick the guy you want, but there's just no option to not pick Yakupov 1st overall.

Old
03-26-2012, 10:54 AM
nickschultzfan

You don't trade down if you have one player targeted and you think can get him a few picks lower. When you do that you just end up getting that player stolen from you. They your draft is shot, and you're an idiot.

You trade down if view 4 players having the same value, and you get an offer to move back 3 spots, so you don't care who gets taken off the board.

If we like Murray, we pick him at our pick. Because if we don't, we'll be caught with our pants down when the Oilers take him right after us.

Old
03-26-2012, 10:56 AM
Avder
Global Moderator
Is it October yet?

vCash: 50
Okay, so, here's a what if scenario for you guys:

What if:
1. Wild finish 2nd and end up with the 2nd pick
2. Columbus wins the lottery or otherwise ends up retaining first

With rumors that Columbus is not big on Russians, is there a possibility that they come out of left field and pick first but pick someone other than Nail?

Or, do we talk to them about swapping picks and if so, what do we have to throw in with our 2nd overall to get their first overall?

Old
03-26-2012, 10:56 AM
mnwildgophers

There's a lot of places that we could go in this draft, so it's really hard to speculate until after the season is over and the lottery results come out, but drafting #2 overall would be huge for this team. Getting Murray or Yakupov would be absolutely huge for this team going forward.

Old
03-26-2012, 11:06 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I just can't see Columbus passing on Nail to go to #2 overall. If they pass on Nail, they are probably going to trade down to the 6-10 spot plus a very high end NHL'er and possibly an additional prospect.

More likely is trading Nash for a top 5 pick if they can pull it off. The team needs high end prospects and talent and to get rid of overpaid vets who are going to start sliding, like Nash.

Nail + one of the top defensemen in the draft would be HUGE for Columbus. Two big time players to build around (even though I hate that term).

Old
03-26-2012, 11:15 AM
nickschultzfan

As long as the Wild don't have concussion concerns for Nail, they'll pick him if he's on the board when they pick (especially if they win the lottery and pick #1).

Koivu, Granlund, Coyle, Phillips, Larrson, Brodizak is pretty good center depth. We don't really have any elite wingers.

Old
03-26-2012, 11:18 AM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Quote:
I just can't see Columbus passing on Nail to go to #2 overall. If they pass on Nail, they are probably going to trade down to the 6-10 spot plus a very high end NHL'er and possibly an additional prospect.

More likely is trading Nash for a top 5 pick if they can pull it off. The team needs high end prospects and talent and to get rid of overpaid vets who are going to start sliding, like Nash.

Nail + one of the top defensemen in the draft would be HUGE for Columbus. Two big time players to build around (even though I hate that term).
Maybe you can argue that Nash is worth a top 5 pick, but are there any teams in the top 5 who would be interested in him? He's a 28 year old goal scorer, so he's really only valuable in a "win now" scenario. Maybe Edmonton would be interested, but they're desperate to get a defenseman, and would focus on trading for that if moving their pick. Other than that, I guess Montreal might possibly be interested. A team like the Wild won't be, the Islanders shouldn't be, Anaheim's at a crossroads, and Tampa/Toronto/Carolina probably shouldn't be interested in that. Well, maybe Toronto would be.

Old
03-26-2012, 11:19 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Edmonton and Toronto do come to mind.

Old
03-26-2012, 11:32 AM
mnwildgophers

I'm not sure if Edmonton is ready to pony up the prospects and picks to get that deal done. I could see Montreal/Toronto doing it though.

Old
03-26-2012, 11:34 AM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Quote:
Edmonton and Toronto do come to mind.
I can't see Edmonton moving that pick for an older forward with what they have in the system (and re-signing Hemsky) when their defense is so barren and this is a defense heavy draft.

Toronto is a little more realistic, but again, they're looking for centers. Kessel and Lupul are going to remain the top pairing there, and they're bumping the cap for next season. They'd either have to move/bury Lombardi + not re-sign Kulemin or they'd have to get rid of a forward another way.

I think for Columbus to trade for a second top 5 pick, they'd need a lottery winner from around 10th. Even then I'm not really seeing much for options unless you get a GM going off the wall. That $7.8MM cap hit is pretty hard to absorb. Depending upon whether whoever else they draft is NHL ready, they might need some help hitting the cap floor if they move Nash for picks.

Old
03-26-2012, 11:39 AM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Montreal seems the only realistic option. They should have the cap space without being forced into another move, and could certainly use the size up front. The issue might lie with Price's impending raise. They have a ton of RFAs this summer, and some of them (at least Subban and Price) are going to be commanding significant raises. They're at $44MM for 13 players. Assuming Price and Subban combine for around $9MM (considering the rumors about Price's offer...) that's around $16MM for 8 players. If they add Nash, that's down to $8MM for 7 players.

Old
03-26-2012, 01:04 PM
se7en
infamous...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Jan Itor View Post
Haha! Look at St. Louis, they have no chance at getting Yakupov... morons.
BAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

I'm still catching up on this thread but I just hit this post & it made me bust out laughing. Well played sir.

Old
03-26-2012, 01:27 PM
se7en
infamous...

Maybe this isnt the right train of thought but I want a high scoring forward out of this draft!! I dont want another playmaker & I dont want a solid defenseman, I WANT SOMEONE WHO CAN PUT THE PUCK IN THE NET!! Im so sick of being called "boring" & being a low scoring team.. I know the most important thing is winning but remember Gabby, that feeling that came every time the puck hit his stick? I want a player that has that.. I just want to see this team post some goals & be exciting to watch..

Yes, if someone said "you can either be a low scoring trapping team & make it to the cup or be a high scoring offensive juggernaut but miss the play-offs" of coarse I'd take low scoring/trapper but since it doesn't work that way, I want to be an exciting team that has players with National appeal, that scores goals & is exciting to watch..

I really hope we end up with a natural goal scorer.

Old
03-26-2012, 01:28 PM
Minnesota
L'Étoile du Nord

vCash: 404
Quote:
Last year New Jersey won the lottery with 3.6% odds and moved up to 4th to grab Larsson.
Lucky ducks... Larsson's going to be really good.

Old
03-26-2012, 01:43 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Se7en I agree with you. The team IS boring due to lack of explosive goal scorers. The closest we have is Setoguchi, who's like a quicker Miettinen with worse hands. Not what I'd call exciting.

But there are two huge needs, the #1 goal scorer, and the #1 defenseman. Whichever player is most likely to fill that role is what I'd want.

Nail exactly fits the mold of explosive scorer, but the Wild will likely not win the lotto to get him. Galchenyuk and Grigorenko don't fit that game breaker mold as much, more high end #1 centers who could be 80-100 point guys in a big time offense, but not the kind of guys who would score 40 goals. And from there it drops off.

So it makes sense if the Wild don't get the 1st overall pick to take the best defenseman available, either Murray, Dumba, Trouba, or whoever.

Old
03-26-2012, 02:00 PM
roon

Quote:
Se7en I agree with you. The team IS boring due to lack of explosive goal scorers. The closest we have is Setoguchi, who's like a quicker Miettinen with worse hands. Not what I'd call exciting.

But there are two huge needs, the #1 goal scorer, and the #1 defenseman. Whichever player is most likely to fill that role is what I'd want.

Nail exactly fits the mold of explosive scorer, but the Wild will likely not win the lotto to get him. Galchenyuk and Grigorenko don't fit that game breaker mold as much, more high end #1 centers who could be 80-100 point guys in a big time offense, but not the kind of guys who would score 40 goals. And from there it drops off.

So it makes sense if the Wild don't get the 1st overall pick to take the best defenseman available, either Murray, Dumba, Trouba, or whoever.
Flahr has said they are not going to be drafting based upon position. They are simply going to take the best player available whoever they deem that to be. We'll see what happens I suppose.

Old
03-26-2012, 02:05 PM
usernam*
#TeamSuccess

I'm really hoping we can get one of Yakupov or Murray. If they're both gone, I don't really care who we get.

Old
03-26-2012, 03:07 PM
Avder
Global Moderator
Is it October yet?

vCash: 50
If we can get Yakupov, I will look on this year as a success.

Just imagine a line with Yakupov AND Granlund on it.

Just take that in for a few seconds...

Yeah. That felt good.

Old
03-26-2012, 03:17 PM
nickschultzfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burns4Norris View Post
I'm really hoping we can get one of Yakupov or Murray. If they're both gone, I don't really care who we get.
I'd be happy with about 4-5 guys, but if we won the lottery and drafted Yakupov, it would be a lot easier to trade guys like Zucker, Larrson, or even Coyle for a bluechip Dman prospect than to get a guy like Yakupov.

Old
03-26-2012, 03:20 PM
D U M B A
The Disaster March

vCash: 523
http://www.nhl.com/ice/page.htm?id=78958

Oh man, squidz was the first poster to come to mind when I read who this person thinks we should take...

Closed Thread