A Look Ahead: 2012 NHL Entry Draft Pt. 2

Closed Thread

Old
03-28-2012, 04:24 PM
nickschultzfan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Generic User View Post
CBJ can't possibly be that dumb. They would trade out of #1 before they picked someone not named Nail.
Here's a question, if Columbus likes Galchenyuk over Nail, for whatever reason (American ties, center, they think he projects better, concussions, etc.), and we end up in the #2 spot, would we be able it to trade up with our goalies and maybe a roster player?

Old
03-28-2012, 04:26 PM
Avder
Global Moderator
HFBoards: Night's Watch

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by sioux210 View Post
ha really? thats like a once every 10 yr type of player, really rare, not every top pick is gonna turn into that, and by the looks of it the only one that could be is nail and unless the blue jackets pass on him we wont get him soo yea. a good team needs balance and even depth
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avder View Post
I was being overly broad.
^

Sigh

Old
03-28-2012, 04:26 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

They will likely ask a ransom, like #2 and Granlund or Coyle. They won't just come out and say "hey, we're meh on Nail, what will you give us for #1?"

Also there will be a huge bidding war for lots of teams trying to get up to #1.

Old
03-28-2012, 04:27 PM
Generic User
Dynamic as they come

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickschultzfan View Post
Here's a question, if Columbus likes Galchenyuk over Nail, for whatever reason (American ties, center, they think he projects better, concussions, etc.), and we end up in the #2 spot, would we be able it to trade up with our goalies and maybe a roster player?
I don't get it? What are you asking? If we are at #2 and Nail falls to us, there's no reason to trade up..

But if you're saying what I think you are, and we're at #3, and Nail is there at #2, the price to trade up probably increases tenfold. That seems like the type of trade you do BEFORE the draft starts. We would probably have to give up Brodin, Coyle, etc. WITH our #3 to move up one spot. Probably would have to do that anyways. No way.

EDIT: I see what you're asking now I think.. My answer still applies.

Old
03-28-2012, 04:27 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Well replace Stamkos with Gaborik or any other explosive 40 goal scorer. You have to get the point he's making.

Old
03-28-2012, 04:34 PM
sioux210

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickschultzfan View Post
Here's the logic:

Potential 1st liners: Granlund, Coyle
Potential 2nd liners: Phillips, Larrson, Haula, Zucker, Lucia
Potential top-9 guys: Bulmer

Potential 1st pairing: Brodin, Scandella
Potential 2nd pairing: Spurgeon, Seeler
Depth Dmen: Cuma, Lorenz

That said, I think getting Murray or Dumba could be huge for the Wild.

Note - I am well aware that guys like Koivu and Heatley are "1st liners", but when just look at our prospect pool, it's clear that we need truely elite forward as much as we need a top pairing Dman, if not more.
ya just take a look at the defense.. that is incredibly weak... we really need a top defenseman and i know people are tired of talking about it but i think parise will come here so we will have that top goal scoring forward we need and i think the wild really believe they can get him. when it comes down to it they will overpay him with the amount of cap space we have. it will eventually payoff with jersey sales, more casual fans with start paying attention, and the wild need someone to be the face of the wild who is a star that will help lure a winter classic to Minnesota which will dramatically help the franchise, sorry i ranted a bit but ya, we need top defensive prospects... badly

Old
03-28-2012, 04:35 PM
mnwildgophers

The logic for a high end forward is there especially if we have #2 or #3, I'd think if we have #3, we'd be in a good spot too to either get Murray or Gal, at that point, it's just up to whatever the brass prefers, but it seems that they like Gal a lot, and I'd think we would shy away from Grigo simply because of the concerns about his character.

Old
03-28-2012, 04:40 PM
Generic User
Dynamic as they come

Question for someone who can answer it: What's the difference between Granlund and Galchenyuk's playing styles? They both seem like average-to-below average sized pass first playmakers with good vision and hockey sense.. After that, I can't really see too many glaring differences. Does Galchenyuk like to shoot it a bit more?

Old
03-28-2012, 04:40 PM
Dr Jan Itor

Drafting a forward as BPA also opens up the door to do a prospect/young NHLer swap to help the defense. Teams like Colorado, Toronto, Carolina, Nashville have a good stockpile of young D, so that's also a possibility.

Old
03-28-2012, 04:46 PM
BuddyMcCormick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Generic User View Post
Question for someone who can answer it: What's the difference between Granlund and Galchenyuk's playing styles? They both seem like average-to-below average sized pass first playmakers with good vision and hockey sense.. After that, I can't really see too many glaring differences. Does Galchenyuk like to shoot it a bit more?
Where are you seeing that he is undersized? He's 6'1", which isn't undersized at all. I've heard he's quite the all around player. Shoots, passes, dangles, physical.

Old
03-28-2012, 04:57 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Parise and Murray would make this team hella better.

for the hella part

Old
03-28-2012, 05:15 PM
Generic User
Dynamic as they come

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuddyMcCormick View Post
Where are you seeing that he is undersized? He's 6'1", which isn't undersized at all. I've heard he's quite the all around player. Shoots, passes, dangles, physical.
The average size was more of Galchenyuk, the undersized was more Granlund. The average NHL forward's height is 6'1'' on the nose.

Old
03-28-2012, 05:16 PM
WILDTATE10

I agree with the people saying that whoever we pick you trust Fletcher and co. They have definitly earned it the last couple years. I'm kind of shying away from Forsberg, Trouba and Reinhart right now because I don't really want to wait more then 1 year for our pick to get here. It seems like Nail and Murray could play right away and Gal, Grigs, and Dumba would stay in minors one more year. But whoever they pick they have earned my trust

Old
03-28-2012, 05:31 PM
nickschultzfan

Nail, Galchenyuk, Murray, Dumba, in that order. We pick in the top-4 and I'll be very happy because we'll walk away with somebody I want of somebody the Wild's scouts see something in.

Old
03-28-2012, 05:51 PM
Minnesota
Global Moderator
L'…toile du Nord

vCash: 1124
I'd rather pass on Dumba, and possibly Murray. Neither project to be #1 defensemen, and Dumba's even questionable as a 1st pairing defenseman.

I'd rather take Trouba or Reinhart. Both already possess the size and tools to become 1st pairing d-men, easily.

Old
03-28-2012, 05:58 PM
Up7Yours

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnesota View Post
I'd rather pass on Dumba, and possibly Murray. Neither project to be #1 defensemen, and Dumba's even questionable as a 1st pairing defenseman.

I'd rather take Trouba or Reinhart. Both already possess the size and tools to become 1st pairing d-men, easily.
Is Trouba a project as in Pietrangelo (everybody knew he'd be great, but needed some developing time after the draft), or someone with high ceiling but with a certain possibility of not panning out?

Old
03-28-2012, 06:09 PM
Generic User
Dynamic as they come

Quote:
I'm guessing that is going to be Flahr's mentality in this draft. I could see him going for a high end forward if we pick top 5. If we're 6-8 I would bet we go defense. There's definitely going to be a 1st pairing d-man to come out of this draft.. It just might not be in the early 1st. Some defensive gems can be found in the 2nd and I'm thinking that this is the route the Wild take.

Old
03-28-2012, 06:32 PM
sioux210

Quote:

ya i really like reinhart, good size and has skills, could make an impact next year probably due to how thin we our on the blue line. tsn did a profile video on him on their website, made me like him even more.
http://www.tsn.ca/draftcentre/

Old
03-28-2012, 06:34 PM
Minnesota
Global Moderator
L'…toile du Nord

Quote:
Originally Posted by WILDTATE10 View Post
I agree with the people saying that whoever we pick you trust Fletcher and co. They have definitly earned it the last couple years. I'm kind of shying away from Forsberg, Trouba and Reinhart right now because I don't really want to wait more then 1 year for our pick to get here. It seems like Nail and Murray could play right away and Gal, Grigs, and Dumba would stay in minors one more year. But whoever they pick they have earned my trust
Why don't you want to wait?

Let's say Prospect A (a defenseman) is NHL-ready, but doesn't project higher than a #2 or 2nd pairing d-man. On the other hand, we have Prospect B (also a defenseman) who is possibly 2-3 years from making the NHL. However, he has greater size and projects to be a #1 or #2 d-man.

Personally, I'd rather wait for the guy with more potential and size, especially with the rate our players are getting injured. The team's not making the playoffs any time soon. How does the saying go? Good things come to those who wait.

Old
03-28-2012, 06:40 PM
Avder
Global Moderator

Quote:
Why don't you want to wait?

Let's say Prospect A (a defenseman) is NHL-ready, but doesn't project higher than a #2 or 2nd pairing d-man. On the other hand, we have Prospect B (also a defenseman) who is possibly 2-3 years from making the NHL. However, he has greater size and projects to be a #1 or #2 d-man.

Personally, I'd rather wait for the guy with more potential and size, especially with the rate our players are getting injured. The team's not making the playoffs any time soon. How does the saying go? Good things come to those who wait.
I think this team either makes the playoffs next year or both Fletch and Yeo could lose their jobs.

Old
03-28-2012, 06:42 PM
Minnesota
Global Moderator
L'…toile du Nord

Quote:
Originally Posted by sioux210 View Post
ya i really like reinhart, good size and has skills, could make an impact next year probably due to how thin we our on the blue line. tsn did a profile video on him on their website, made me like him even more.
http://www.tsn.ca/draftcentre/
Cool, thanks for sharing!

Yeah, I definitely think we need more size on the blue-line - but unfortunately I'm not sure we'll be in position to draft a defenseman.

If we're picking top-3, I'm assuming we'll take a forward.

Old
03-28-2012, 06:47 PM
Minnesota
Global Moderator
L'…toile du Nord

Quote:
I think this team either makes the playoffs next year or both Fletch and Yeo could lose their jobs.
Well, I suppose making the playoffs depends on whether the team's healthy.

It would be unfair to be expecting the incoming rookies to be difference-makers next year.

I just want our prospects to develop properly, stay healthy and learn from the veterans. As long as I'm seeing progress, I'm not going to complain about our position in the standings.

Old
03-28-2012, 07:09 PM
Dr Jan Itor

Quote:
If the team/ownership believes in what this regime is doing with the pipeline, then firing them after next year would be very short-sighted. You at least have to see what these classes of young players can do.

Old
03-28-2012, 07:42 PM
sioux210

Quote:
Cool, thanks for sharing!

Yeah, I definitely think we need more size on the blue-line - but unfortunately I'm not sure we'll be in position to draft a defenseman.

If we're picking top-3, I'm assuming we'll take a forward.
ya but thats why i suggested we trade to a team that is desperate for our possible 2nd overall pick that is still in the top 10, we could trade our pick for their top defensive prospect and their first rounder, then use that to draft reinhart, you end up with essentially two first round defensemen, seems like the most logical thing to do in my opinion, it might be hard to find a team but its possible for a team thats desperate for a top forward

Old
03-28-2012, 07:51 PM
Avder
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Jan Itor View Post
If the team/ownership believes in what this regime is doing with the pipeline, then firing them after next year would be very short-sighted. You at least have to see what these classes of young players can do.
I suppose it depends on how things go next year, but the team next year will not have the "no depth" get out of the doghouse free card it does this year.

Closed Thread