HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Notices

There is a game tonight - Carolina

Old
03-25-2012, 10:06 AM
IBleedUnionBlue

vCash: 686
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inquiring Minds View Post
Five minutes before puck drop I was thinking about taking a picture to show just how empty the arena was, knowing that folks would not believe it on a Friday night.
Alot of Friday night crowds are late arriving. The traffic was also heavy and there was rain which further slowed traffic. I was in 112, and I would estimate 33% of those sitting in that section arrived late.

IBleedUnionBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2012, 11:06 AM
SuperGenius
For Duty & Humanity!

vCash: 1138
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inquiring Minds View Post
Five minutes before puck drop I was thinking about taking a picture to show just how empty the arena was, knowing that folks would not believe it on a Friday night.

It filled in some as the first period progressed (like the 40-some Science club kids that paraded back and forth in front of us for potty breaks, popcorn, etc.) but there were plenty of fans disguised as empty seats. It might have been in the same zip code of 15k, but not the same neighborhood.
I can agree with this. It's the estimate of 6k that is utterly ridiculous.

SuperGenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2012, 08:50 PM
JACKETfan
Real Blue Jacketfan

vCash: 500
Re: attendance

There's a great article at Forbes about home teams in various leagues pad the numbers.
The last part of the article list all the typical tricks.

Title: how-sports-attendance-figures-speak-lies

http://www.forbes.com/sites/sportsmo...-speak-lies/4/

JACKETfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2012, 09:22 PM
1857 Howitzer
******* Linesman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclones Rock View Post
The upper bowl was deserted. It couldn't have been much more than 33% full.

The lower bowl was far less than 50% populated. How could anyone have seen this arena as 80% full (14,500)?

It's not being negative. Many teams fudge their attendance figures. I've been to 15 games this year it appears to my eye that the norm is to double the actual attendance with announced numbers. Friday night was the most overcooked number I've seen. I'm sure the organization uses some "tickets distributed" justification to account for the difference in actual and announced numbers.

The only people who know for certain are those at Nationwide and in the CBJ organization who have the exact "drop count" for the game.

It doesn't bother me. I enjoy the extra space and the $5 upper bowl and $10 lower bowl tickets. I like going to the games and believe that attendance will become respectable when (if) the team becomes competitive. But, the announced figures are farcical and have been all year.
How could you see only 6,000 people in the arena? There was easily 12,000 there, twice your number and only 3,000 less then the official numbers.

I have been to 30 games this year and not once I have felt the official numbers were that far off what I would put the attendance at.

One last thing, if the Jackets are fudging the numbers why do you care? It just makes you sound like a "Sun Belt" hating Canadian.

03-26-2012, 01:18 AM
Cyclones Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1857 Howitzer View Post
How could you see only 6,000 people in the arena? There was easily 12,000 there, twice your number and only 3,000 less then the official numbers.

I have been to 30 games this year and not once I have felt the official numbers were that far off what I would put the attendance at.

One last thing, if the Jackets are fudging the numbers why do you care? It just makes you sound like a "Sun Belt" hating Canadian.
LOL at the bolded portion. I am one quarter French Canuck. And also at the 12,000 number. I could be wrong. There may have been 7000 there.

I'm just acutely aware of the rampant fudging of attendance figures. I've watched more teams fold in my life than I'd care to count and most of them announced attendances which wouldn't have resulted in their demises. The Dayton Bombers of the ECHL used to announce double what I thought were in the building. I used to get flak about saying that. After they folded, articles came out with Nutter Center official figures....actual attendance was roughly double what they were announcing. And paid attendance roughly a quarter of what they announced.

The Cincinnati Mighty Ducks were ridiculously high in their announced figures. Many of their faithful seemed to have double vision when counting and got furious when I challenged the announced numbers.

The Cincinnati Cyclones used to announce double to triple the number in the arena. Sometimes more. They were just plain silly. That team went into hibernation for two years. Now they announce actual. And do you know what's funny? A few of us attendance oriented folks are usually within 5% of the announced figure with our estimates. Estimating the Jackets attendance with any degree of confidence is no easier than guessing whom one of the Kardasians might be dating in a year.

The Jackets aren't evil because they dramatically exaggerate attendance. Most poorly attended hockey teams do this as a matter of course-from the SPHL to the NHL. Teams which don't sell out which announce actual attendance figures are few and far between.

One of the funniest things happens every year in the ECHL. Teams whose announced attendance during the regular season looks ridiculously high, all of a sudden seem to announce accurate figures come playoff time. Why? They have to pay the league $2 per attendee.

The Jackets average announced attendance this season of around 14,500 is a fiction. That's as clear as the day as long. I doubt the team has actually sold many more than 7000-8000 tickets per game and many of those are at steep discounts. The team had best get its act together on the ice and hope to the heavens that the box office numbers improve. Absurdly padded attendance figures only fool those who wish to be fooled.

Last edited by Cyclones Rock: 03-26-2012 at 03:23 AM.
Cyclones Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2012, 08:04 AM
1857 Howitzer
******* Linesman

Believe whatever you want but I have never seen someone on here be more wrong about something then you are on the attendance of this game.

1857 Howitzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2012, 09:21 AM
SuperGenius
For Duty & Humanity!

vCash: 1138
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclones Rock View Post
I'm just acutely aware of the rampant fudging of attendance figures. I've watched more teams fold in my life than I'd care to count and most of them announced attendances which wouldn't have resulted in their demises. The Dayton Bombers of the ECHL used to announce double what I thought were in the building. I used to get flak about saying that. After they folded, articles came out with Nutter Center official figures....actual attendance was roughly double what they were announcing. And paid attendance roughly a quarter of what they announced.
You must be awesome at those games where you guess how many marbles are in a jar.

SuperGenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2012, 02:13 PM
Samkow
Global Moderator
Sidney Cosby

Send a message via Skype™ to Samkow
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclones rock View Post
lol at the bolded portion. I am one quarter french canuck. And also at the 12,000 number. I could be wrong. There may have been 7000 there.

I'm just acutely aware of the rampant fudging of attendance figures. I've watched more teams fold in my life than i'd care to count and most of them announced attendances which wouldn't have resulted in their demises. The dayton bombers of the echl used to announce double what i thought were in the building. I used to get flak about saying that. After they folded, articles came out with nutter center official figures....actual attendance was roughly double what they were announcing. And paid attendance roughly a quarter of what they announced.

The cincinnati mighty ducks were ridiculously high in their announced figures. Many of their faithful seemed to have double vision when counting and got furious when i challenged the announced numbers.

The cincinnati cyclones used to announce double to triple the number in the arena. Sometimes more. They were just plain silly. That team went into hibernation for two years. Now they announce actual. And do you know what's funny? A few of us attendance oriented folks are usually within 5% of the announced figure with our estimates. Estimating the jackets attendance with any degree of confidence is no easier than guessing whom one of the kardasians might be dating in a year.

The jackets aren't evil because they dramatically exaggerate attendance. Most poorly attended hockey teams do this as a matter of course-from the sphl to the nhl. Teams which don't sell out which announce actual attendance figures are few and far between.

One of the funniest things happens every year in the echl. Teams whose announced attendance during the regular season looks ridiculously high, all of a sudden seem to announce accurate figures come playoff time. Why? They have to pay the league $2 per attendee.

The jackets average announced attendance this season of around 14,500 is a fiction. That's as clear as the day as long. I doubt the team has actually sold many more than 7000-8000 tickets per game and many of those are at steep discounts. The team had best get its act together on the ice and hope to the heavens that the box office numbers improve. Absurdly padded attendance figures only fool those who wish to be fooled.
lol.

Well, you are from Cincinnati. I've never seen a team inflate numbers quite like the Bengals and Cyclones do. Maybe you're onto something.

03-26-2012, 02:33 PM
EspenK

Battle of the post-game threads- Attendance vs the proper amount of time to wait after a loss before tweeting, I'm gonna give the edge to the tweet thread.

EspenK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2012, 02:52 PM
Cyclones Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samkow View Post
lol.

Well, you are from Cincinnati. I've never seen a team inflate numbers quite like the Bengals and Cyclones do. Maybe you're onto something.
Don't know (or care) about the Bengals. However, it's understood that NFL teams announce tickets sold whether those individuals attend or not. The Bengals also turn a very tidy profit and are in no danger of moving to Canada...though many wish that they would.

You obviously haven't been to a Cyclones game in the past six years. Most people tend to overestimate their attendance. They don't even announce season ticket which don't show. They announce them if they get exchanged at a future date. How many people overestimate Jackets attendance?

I guess I done rattled some cages. Too bad. It's a pretty sorry state of affairs when I can score NHL tickets for less than I pay for ECHL tickets. That would be impossible if the team were averaging anything close to 14,600. And that's the facts, Jax announced attendance defenders.

And you all may have the final word on this. Enough bandwidth spent on this.

Last edited by Cyclones Rock: 03-26-2012 at 04:01 PM.
Cyclones Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2012, 06:37 PM
1857 Howitzer
******* Linesman

There would have been zero bandwidth spent had you not posted such a completely wrong number and then once called out tried to defend that number by deflecting the subject.

One last thing because I am tired of reading it on this board, the Jackets are in ZERO chance of moving!

1857 Howitzer is offline   Reply With Quote