HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Goalie question

Old
03-29-2012, 02:31 PM
tobo

vCash: 500
Goalie question

I'm fairly new to hockey and personally never played it, so I completely miss the tactical side of the game. But after watching some NHL games, I've been wondering why goalies aren't as involved in the game when compared to keepers in soccer. For example, you never see a player pass the puck to the goalie. Is there a reason why that's never done?

tobo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 02:35 PM
theFinn

It's not never done, there's the odd pass back at the goalie.... That said, you generally don't want to put the puck out front of your own net, or fire it at your own goalie, because it ups that chance that it ends up in the back of your net.

Hockey moves faster then soccer, if the goaltender is roaming around he's leaving his net open and the situation on the ice can change real fast. The goalie is also actually effective at stopping the puck unlike any goalie I've ever seen in soccer (huge net, little guy...that seems like a poor idea).

theFinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 02:41 PM
hockeymass

It's way too easy for the goalie to mishandle the puck or for it to take an odd bounce and for no reason at all you've just given up a goal. Never a good idea to send the puck near your net unless you absolutely have to.

hockeymass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 02:58 PM
Brodeur

If you pass it back to the goalie in hockey, there's a chance that he has to freeze it which would result in a defensive zone draw. A goalie in soccer can pick up the ball and pretty much stall if he so chooses.

Not all goalies are as adept with handling the puck. Even the good ones have their huge gaffes. With goalie gloves, it's easy to get an incorrect grip on your bottom hand which will result in calamity. Generally you'd trust your D to be able to make a better breakout pass than your goalie.

The Devils announcers jokingly called passing back to the goalie the Odelein pass. When Lyle Odelein was under pressure in the neutral zone, he'd occasionally pass it back to Brodeur to buy more time.

Brodeur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 03:43 PM
ironranger

vCash: 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodeur View Post
If you pass it back to the goalie in hockey, there's a chance that he has to freeze it which would result in a defensive zone draw. A goalie in soccer can pick up the ball and pretty much stall if he so chooses.

Not all goalies are as adept with handling the puck. Even the good ones have their huge gaffes. With goalie gloves, it's easy to get an incorrect grip on your bottom hand which will result in calamity. Generally you'd trust your D to be able to make a better breakout pass than your goalie.

The Devils announcers jokingly called passing back to the goalie the Odelein pass. When Lyle Odelein was under pressure in the neutral zone, he'd occasionally pass it back to Brodeur to buy more time.
In soccer the goalie can't pick up the ball if his own teammate passes it to him.

With the amount of equipment the goalie has on movement is not as easy so a lot can go wrong if you make a pass to your goalie that is not right on the mark.

I do think that the biggest factors are the speed of the game and size of the puck vs a soccer ball

ironranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 03:46 PM
ironranger

vCash: 145
Some goalies do like to play the puck though.

If I had more computer skill I would add the youtube video of Patrick Roy playing the puck past the red line

ironranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 05:21 PM
nightfighter

I think the size of the rink has more to do with it than anything. In hockey, players can cover a lot of distance in very little time. The goalie doesn't have nearly as much time and space to make a pass up ice as there is in soccer. And if the pass was ever picked off, well that would be a goal for sure.

nightfighter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 06:56 PM
CunniJA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=429QFwN8Yy4

CunniJA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 12:26 AM
JoeCool16

vCash: 1000
Because sometimes.... the goalie isn't there!

JoeCool16 is online now   Reply With Quote