HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Important Tank Games thread

Closed Thread

Old
03-23-2012, 06:36 AM
x74Pacioretty74x

vCash: 500
Important Tank Games thread

Someone asked in the Out of town thread why we don't have one of these threads and I couldnt think of a good reason. Discuss in here the teams playing that affect our draft position and the outcomes during the games. Tonight I believe Toronto plays NJ, Edmonton plays Florida and we host the Sens!

Discuss!!!!

Old
03-23-2012, 07:15 AM
HeShootsHeScores

I think edmonton is the team to watch right now. The habs by themselves are doing a great job at sucking. They don't need that much help. Hemsky is the best habs player the last couple weeks. He should continue scoring.

Old
03-23-2012, 07:16 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Just lose, everything else will fall into place

Old
03-23-2012, 07:46 AM
strutsboa

Tonight's Games:

Montreal vs Ottawa - Obviously the most crucial game tonight, if we lose this one everything else is just a bonus. Bookmakers have Ottawa as small favorites to win.

Toronto at Devils - Out of the other teams Toronto is the team I really want to win because they are sinking quickly and we are playing them at home in the last game. They would also almost certainly pick Grigorenko/Galchenyuk if they draft before us. Bookmakers have Toronto as huge underdogs.

Edmonton at Florida - Edmonton has been playing fairly well lately and they could catch us if we don't finish too strong. Bookmakers have Edmonton as big underdogs.

Carolina at Columbus - Carolina are currently 6 points ahead of us with the tie-breaker tied up aswell, it would be a bonus if they won tonight, but I see the other games as more important. Bookmakers have Carolina as small favorites to win.

Old
03-23-2012, 08:27 AM
sharks9

Quote:
Originally Posted by strutsboa View Post
Tonight's Games:

Montreal vs Ottawa - Obviously the most crucial game tonight, if we lose this one everything else is just a bonus. Bookmakers have Ottawa as small favorites to win.

Toronto at Devils - Out of the other teams Toronto is the team I really want to win because they are sinking quickly and we are playing them at home in the last game. They would also almost certainly pick Grigorenko/Galchenyuk if they draft before us. Bookmakers have Toronto as huge underdogs.

Edmonton at Florida - Edmonton has been playing fairly well lately and they could catch us if we don't finish too strong. Bookmakers have Edmonton as big underdogs.

Carolina at Columbus - Carolina are currently 6 points ahead of us with the tie-breaker tied up aswell, it would be a bonus if they won tonight, but I see the other games as more important. Bookmakers have Carolina as small favorites to win.
Ours and Edmonton's are both really crucial. If we lose and Edmonton wins then we'll move into 29th place and that boosts our chances of winning the lottery by about 4%.

Best case scenario: Ottawa, Toronto, Edmonton and Carolina win.
Worst case scenario: Montreal, NJ, Florida and Columbus win.

Last edited by sharks9: 03-23-2012 at 11:21 AM.
Old
03-23-2012, 08:38 AM
loudi94
Master of my Domain

vCash: 50
We are still miles away from securing a top 5 pick. I think it's still possible to finish 7th last.

Old
03-23-2012, 08:40 AM
x74Pacioretty74x

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharks9 View Post
Ours and Edmonton's are both really crucial. If we win and Edmonton loses then we'll move into 29th place and that boosts our chances of winning the lottery by about 4%.

Worst case scenario: Montreal, NJ
, Florida and Columbus win.
Edmonton wins and we lose* I see what you did there though

Old
03-23-2012, 08:43 AM
LyricalLyricist

Quote:
Originally Posted by loudi94 View Post
We are still miles away from securing a top 5 pick. I think it's still possible to finish 7th last.
Definitely not a sure fire lottery pick for us. We need teams around us to win. Teams like Toronto can catch up easily if we win and they lose.

Old
03-23-2012, 08:47 AM
Slew Foots
Haters gonna hate

I wonder how many anti-tankers are left among us Hab fans. It feels like the pro-tank movement is getting real strong...like 90% of the fanbase. Any way we can add a poll to this thread?

Old
03-23-2012, 08:49 AM
YMCMBeaulieu
A$AP MICHEL

Our next 5 games are against teams in playoff spots and we'll probably see Budaj twice since we have 2 back to backs.

Old
03-23-2012, 08:50 AM
LyricalLyricist

Quote:
Originally Posted by NRG87 View Post
I wonder how many anti-tankers are left among us Hab fans. It feels like the pro-tank movement is getting real strong...like 90% of the fanbase. Any way we can add a poll to this thread?
Habs win every game they get 85 PTS. 8th has 81 PTS with 74 GP. So if we win every game they can't go 2-6. If ppl still think well make playoffs...

Unless you mean playing to win, that's a different story and I understand why they'd say that.

Old
03-23-2012, 08:56 AM
Slew Foots
Haters gonna hate

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
Habs win every game they get 85 PTS. 8th has 81 PTS with 74 GP. So if we win every game they can't go 2-6. If ppl still think well make playoffs...

Unless you mean playing to win, that's a different story and I understand why they'd say that.
Hmm...right now, I would define an anti-tanker as someone who hopes to see the Habs win when he/she watches the games right now (e.g. rooting for a win against the Sens tonight). A pro-tanker can be defined as someone who would be genuinely disappointed whenever the Habs win a game for the remainder of the season.

I'm a staunch pro-tanker. If the Habs win tonight, I'll be real angry. Same goes for every remaining Habs game this season. I'm genuinely rooting for the Habs to lose. But I'm doing this out of LOVE for the Habs.

However, some purist fans can never bring themselves to genuinely root against the Habs no matter what the circumstances. And that's OK too. One LOVE.

Old
03-23-2012, 09:06 AM
Guilliam

Quote:
Hmm...right now, I would define an anti-tanker as someone who hopes to see the Habs win when he/she watches the games right now (e.g. rooting for a win against the Sens tonight). A pro-tanker can be defined as someone who would be genuinely disappointed whenever the Habs win a game for the remainder of the season.

I'm a staunch pro-tanker. If the Habs win tonight, I'll be real angry. Same goes for every remaining Habs game this season. I'm genuinely rooting for the Habs to lose. But I'm doing this out of LOVE for the Habs.

However, some purist fans can never bring themselves to genuinely root against the Habs no matter what the circumstances. And that's OK too. One LOVE.
I want the best pick possible so I want every team around us to win.

When I don't watch the game, I'll admit I'm almost happy when we lose. But if I watch the game, I'm cheering when we score and there's nothing I can do about it. Seeing my team being scored on gets me mad and seeing the players I like getting a goal just makes me rise my fists and scream "Yes!"

Old
03-23-2012, 09:18 AM
MM425

Oilers only 2 points back same number of games remaining!

Tank on!

Old
03-23-2012, 09:29 AM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharks9 View Post
Ours and Edmonton's are both really crucial. If we win and Edmonton loses then we'll move into 29th place and that boosts our chances of winning the lottery by about 4%.

Worst case scenario: Montreal, NJ, Florida and Columbus win.
Geez, I didn't know we were that close to Edmonton.

Toronto has me seriously worried though. I think they'll outank us. They have completely fallen apart and when they're bad, nobody's worse than the Leafs.

Hopefully they screw up the draft pick...
Quote:

I can't cheer against us. Just can't. But I know that it's better if we lose.

Old
03-23-2012, 09:33 AM
bipolarhabfan

It is sad that this is what fans, such as myself, have to cheer for this season, a loss so we can draft elite talent. I have been on the tankwagon for the last few months, since January in fact. This team has a lot to do in the next few seasons to get its fans back on board.

BTW, I wonder about the importance of the draft when we let so many of our home-grown players leave. Last night I was watching the Dallas-Vancouver game and a total of five players were former Habs (Lapierre, Higgins, Ribeiro, Ryder, and Robidas). A couple of them would still look good in a Habs jersey.

Old
03-23-2012, 09:43 AM
WeThreeKings

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
I want to finish 2nd last because of increased chance of winning the lottery,

However if we don't. I don't want Timmins tempted to pick Murray.

Old
03-23-2012, 10:20 AM
llamateizer

what is nice is that the highest pick is 16th overall (excluding 29th and 30th)

a loss with a washington win will secure us of 4 spots and a top 12 pick is assured

Old
03-23-2012, 10:37 AM
x74Pacioretty74x

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
I want to finish 2nd last because of increased chance of winning the lottery,

However if we don't. I don't want Timmins tempted to pick Murray.
I know exactly what you mean man. Murray will be elite IMO but I would take one of the 4 forwards 1st.

Old
03-23-2012, 11:23 AM
ReVeuF

Quote:
Originally Posted by chewBACHa View Post
what is nice is that the highest pick is 16th overall (excluding 29th and 30th)

a loss with a washington win will secure us of 4 spots and a top 12 pick is assured
We should do a reverse magic number lol !!!

Old
03-23-2012, 11:25 AM
sharks9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs4life74 View Post
Edmonton wins and we lose* I see what you did there though
Haha yea being pro-tank is very confusing. Losses are wins and wins are losses but I fixed it now so it makes sense

And I agree with other people who are saying Toronto could out-tank us. In their last two games they have a combined total of 27 shots on goal and they're without Lupul and Kulemin for pretty much the rest of the season. I think the last game of the year could be absolutely crucial in terms of tanking position.

Old
03-23-2012, 11:26 AM
dutchy29

Quote:
Originally Posted by loudi94 View Post
I disagree. top 3 pick or the season has been a fail.

Old
03-23-2012, 11:50 AM
SeriousHabs

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutchy29 View Post
I disagree. top 3 pick or the season has been a fail.
There is great talent outside the top3. Edmonton might even go for a D with the 2nd overall selection.

Old
03-23-2012, 12:23 PM
sXe
Yuuuuuup!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs4life74 View Post
I know exactly what you mean man. Murray will be elite IMO but I would take one of the 4 forwards 1st.
What's wrong with having an elite dman? Especially one who has been compared to Niedermayer! Going from what I've heard only he seems a very safe pick with proven leadership qualities i.e. the prototypical Timmins pick!
I understand we need forwards but they also seem to have more question marks associated with them ! I don't see anything wrong with the building from the net out philosophy ala Nashville.
Besides, we can always draft a forward with next year's lottery pick!

Old
03-23-2012, 12:41 PM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
Anti-tankers have thrown in the towel because the Habs won't make the playoffs. Winning games now is hollow but if i bother to watch, my emotions bar me from rooting against the Habs. Would winning a few games sabotage them? I don't see any superstars in this draft.

Closed Thread