HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Moving a Core Defense Man

Old
05-25-2012, 11:13 PM
Fataldogg

vCash: 500
Moving a Core Defense Man

One of the focal points in why we lost in the ECF was clear; lack of reliable offensive firepower. Of course, fatigue, our system, etc, all factored into our elimination. However, I cannot help but feel we could have made a run to the SCF with an additional 30-40 goal scorer on our team.

How could we acquire one? Our defensive core is as deep as it gets. In contrast, our offensive core is fairly shallow. How can we rectify this? I think we can move a core defense man of ours, who has plenty of trade value to acquire a top-6 forward who can score 35-goals / 70-points.

This is not a knee jerk reaction. Personally, I felt all season long that we didn't have the offensive prowess to go all the way. It was too erratic. Gaborik, Richards, etc, cannot carry the team. Stepan's consistency clearly isn't there yet. Hagelin too.

We have Del Zotto, Girardi, Staal, McDonagh, Stralman, etc. A GREAT defensive core. However, I would not object to moving Del Zotto or Staal (players who will have high trade value) to acquire a legitimate top notch forward. I would NOT want to move McDonagh, AT ALL. I would NOT want to move Girardi either. Preferably I'd like to keep Staal too. But I think moving someone like Del Zotto can really benefit the team in the long run, especially with McDonagh quickly exceeding our expectations.

We can truly fill out our top-6 by adding a legitimate 35-goal scorer.

Hagelin-Richards-Gaborik
X35 Goal Scorer - Stepan - Callahan

Our defensive core would still be strong, especially with McIlrath coming up in the system (I'm fairly confident he will be an asset to our team next season - he looked close to NHL ready at the start of this year). If we were to move Del Zotto, as mentioned above (just hypothetical) then we could have a core that looks like;

Girardi-McDonagh
Staal-Stralman

With McIlrath, Sauer, and Eminger all vying for the last spot.

I know we all love our core guys, and I'd really hate to see any of them go; but if I could package Del Zotto, Dubinsky, and a draft pick for a Bobby Ryan caliber forward I would do it in a heart beat to benefit the team. Who else has given this thought?

Fataldogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 11:15 PM
Kershaw

Move Girardi. His value will never be higher and he is a soon to be UFA. I love the guy, but this is the perfect time to deal him.

Kershaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 11:17 PM
Vitto79

No keep the D as is. They r young and close

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 11:18 PM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

McD is an untouchable. Honestly, I'd move either Staal or Girardi as well. MDZ won't have as much value as Staal or Girardi. He's still an unproven and somewhat raw dman. Staal and Girardi are proven players and would fetch a much greater return.

It's the truth though. The Rangers at some point are going to have to make a blockbuster trade to find a top end offensive player. They have a deep D corps. Drafting #28 isn't going to give that to them.

WhipNash27 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 11:19 PM
Blueshirt Believer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kershaw View Post
Move Girardi. His value will never be higher and he is a soon to be UFA. I love the guy, but this is the perfect time to deal him.
If your going to move anyone he makes the most sense. But they need to see the situation with Sauer first. If Sauer doesn't come back, then Girardi shouldn't be moved.

Blueshirt Believer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 11:20 PM
Blueshirt Believer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubiSnacks17 View Post
McD is an untouchable. Honestly, I'd move either Staal or Girardi as well. MDZ won't have as much value as Staal or Girardi. He's still an unproven and somewhat raw dman. Staal and Girardi are proven players and would fetch a much greater return.

It's the truth though. The Rangers at some point are going to have to make a blockbuster trade to find a top end offensive player. They have a deep D corps. Drafting #28 isn't going to give that to them.
Got to keep Staal, WAY more upside than Dan.

Old
05-25-2012, 11:21 PM
Kershaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueshirt Believer View Post
If your going to move anyone he makes the most sense. But they need to see the situation with Sauer first. If Sauer doesn't come back, then Girardi shouldn't be moved.
Agreed. And I forgot G is our only RHD.

Kershaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 11:22 PM
Whoot Whoot
Biased-NYR-Homer

How is Staal better then G? G always puts up better points and usually better D.

Whoot Whoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 11:22 PM
Fataldogg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitto79 View Post
The Rangers are close. But our D is DEEP. If we keep our D the way it is, how will we rectify our offense? Kreider? Potentially, but you can't put that expectation on him in his rookie or sophomore year. And with Lundqvist at 30, Richards at 32, and Gaborik at 30 I would say we have a 5-year window to be a annual contender for the Stanley Cup. We need to make that push now.

Old
05-25-2012, 11:23 PM
M Gaz
Goalie Killer

vCash: 2946
Are you people crazy? Staal, Girardi, McDonagh, and Del Zotto aren't going anywhere. Eminger is expendable, and so is Stralman. We still have McIlrath and Erixon coming up, and don't forget about Sauer. And what's with everybody so quick to dump Dubinsky? He was one of our best players tonight. Okay, he had one bad year, but its a stupid reason to trade one of our core guys.

M Gaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 11:24 PM
SoftEuro4thLiner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitto79 View Post
This. Offense is young and will only get better, plus you can add a bona fide 3rd liner in UFA.

SoftEuro4thLiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 11:24 PM
mrjimmyg89
'13-'14 East Champs

You don't trade anyone from this defense. You add to it and look to rectify the offensive woes through depth scoring and the youth improving. Not to mention, Dubinsky and Anisimov putting up some better numbers next season. Add some more vets up fron with some skill. Think about looking to add Iginla at some point either in the summer or at the deadline.

mrjimmyg89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 11:25 PM
bobbop
Henrik & Pop

Our core defense does not have a player to spare right now. Too much we don't know. We do need to change the mix up front but some of that will come internally and there's always cap room to take a contract in trade. Stay tuned. will be an interesting summer.

bobbop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 11:25 PM
Blueshirt Believer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjimmyg89 View Post
You don't trade anyone from this defense. You add to it and look to rectify the offensive woes through depth scoring and the youth improving. Not to mention, Dubinsky and Anisimov putting up some better numbers next season. Add some more vets up fron with some skill. Think about looking to add Iginla at some point either in the summer or at the deadline.
Iginla certainly wouldn't be too bad, but the age is killer.

Old
05-25-2012, 11:27 PM
BroadwayBlues
oxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxo

Quote:

Exactly. Some fans either ignore or don't understand this.

This type of player isn't coming from within.
You deal from a position of strength which is D-man for the Rangers.

I would keep Marc. It may get you Jordan next year.

BroadwayBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 11:27 PM
Vitto79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fataldogg View Post
The Rangers are close. But our D is DEEP. If we keep our D the way it is, how will we rectify our offense? Kreider? Potentially, but you can't put that expectation on him in his rookie or sophomore year. And with Lundqvist at 30, Richards at 32, and Gaborik at 30 I would say we have a 5-year window to be a annual contender for the Stanley Cup. We need to make that push now.
you deal one and it's not deep. Just trade for or sign a winger.

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 11:28 PM
Killem Dafoe
Global Moderator
Regular Salad

vCash: 50
Wouldn't hate if Girardi were traded if the return were good enough.

McDonagh isn't going anywhere he's got to be the most untouchable D-Man we've got.

Killem Dafoe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 11:29 PM
Fataldogg

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjimmyg89 View Post
Sure, the youth can grow. It might grow in an extremely positive fashion. But who is to say that Stepan doesn't amount to more than a 20g-40a center. Who is to say Hagelin won't be a 30-40 point 3rd line forward.

I think Kredier has a ton of upside. But it will be years before he hits full stride. I know we're all confident in him now, especially after his post season, but I don't think he will be a 30-40 goal scorer out the gate.

We can benefit from adding a proven, routine, 30-40 goal scoring talent to this line up. As I said before, I feel we have a window of opportunity right now. Our defense is strong enough to move a valuable piece and still be strong. With Richards (32), Lundqvist (30), Gaborik (30 - He won't be bought out or traded no matter how much some fans might want to see it) we have a solid 5 year window to routinely compete for the Cup. You don't want to make the push when your marquee guys are 37 or 38. It can happen (e.g. Brodeur, Roloson last season, etc.) but usually it doesn't work out that way.

Old
05-25-2012, 11:29 PM
Dactyl*
stats are pure CRAP

if timmy emerges as a top tier dman then someone gets shipped off for a good forward

Dactyl* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 11:31 PM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

The Rangers have

McD
Girardi
Staal
MDZ
Erixon
Sauer
McIlrath

Can probably add Bickel into that mix for #6/#7 spot.

I'm sure we'll see Erixon next year. McIlrath is also a possibility. Sauer is a question mark with his health otherwise he'll definitely be there.

You don't want any of those young guys to be a #7. Someone's going to have to go at some point. Maybe they trade a lower pair D, but they surely won't get much out of that.

WhipNash27 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 11:32 PM
darko

Why trade a D-man? Say Sauer is healthy next season.

McDonagh-Girardi
Staal-Stralman
DelZotto-Sauer

That's a pretty good crop however if someone goes down who fills in? Erixon could be ready to go? Eminger maybe? Bickel? Woy? McIlrath perhaps? All except Erixon are meh options right now.

If anything we should do almost whatever it takes to add a guy like Schultz.

darko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 11:32 PM
Elever
Hth

I'd trade Del Zotto but I can't think of any 35+ goal scorer on the market that would be a playoff goal scorer as well. I think it'd have to be Del Zotto+ to get that type of guy.

Elever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 11:37 PM
SoftEuro4thLiner

So, question here.

Do you really think we need another top-liner, or, to your mind, would a 3rd liner or 2 do?
Because I think BRich stepped up in the POs, plus Step, well, while he didn't play great, he didn't play badly. Basically what I think was separating us from the Devils is a 3rd and 4th line which can not only chip in once in a while, but which will combine a goal a game. To my mind, that's what the Rangers didn't have this season. Boyle's a great 4th liner, but, lets put it politely, a mediocre 3rd liner. Same goes for Prust and Feds - I would Master Bate having them on 4th, but going *uuuh* having them on 3rd. So, with the Rangers adding a Chris Kelly or Cal Clutterbuck type of player, me is confident in that troop.

What do you think?

SoftEuro4thLiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 11:38 PM
Blueshirt Believer

Quote:
The Rangers have

McD
Girardi
Staal
MDZ
Erixon
Sauer
McIlrath

Can probably add Bickel into that mix for #6/#7 spot.

I'm sure we'll see Erixon next year. McIlrath is also a possibility. Sauer is a question mark with his health otherwise he'll definitely be there.

You don't want any of those young guys to be a #7. Someone's going to have to go at some point. Maybe they trade a lower pair D, but they surely won't get much out of that.
Bickel is gone, Eminger/Strahlman will be our depth. My bet is Strahlman.

Old
05-25-2012, 11:42 PM
rkhum

Marc Staal for Jordan Staal.

Perfect deal.

rkhum is offline   Reply With Quote