HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Arizona Coyotes
Notices

Coyotes sign Scott Arnold

Old
03-23-2012, 08:28 PM
Llewzaher

vCash: 500
Coyotes sign Scott Arnold

I never seen this posted anywhere .. so

here is the link

http://coyotes.nhl.com/club/news.htm...id=DL|PHX|home

Llewzaher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2012, 08:30 PM
freddypuck

I know this kid ..he is a future Burrows type who plays for vancouver, hits like Torres...IMO a real steal of a pick-up

freddypuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2012, 08:54 PM
Muppet
Howlin' For You

This is the kid Todd Walsh was talking about yesterday. I believe he said people have compared him to Torres.

Muppet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2012, 08:56 PM
hbk

I like what I'm hearing.

Torres has impressed me the latter half of the season with his intensity and physical play. The goals of course have been very timely as well. This is the type of player I like seeing in our organization.

hbk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2012, 09:16 PM
XX
... Waiting

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctord View Post
I know this kid ..he is a future Burrows type who plays for vancouver, hits like Torres...IMO a real steal of a pick-up
Okay, but Burrows isn't a power forward and is a pretty skilled guy. Everything I'm reading is that this guy is basically Winnik part two. I'm not sure how well 26 goals in 67 NCAA (in the AHA) games translates. He did have 42 goals in 61 games in the CJHL prior to that.

XX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2012, 07:28 AM
freddypuck

He will be much better than Winnik ....more a Torres...

freddypuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2012, 09:36 AM
pacerhimself

Just looked him up, and the kid has heart:

http://niagara-gazette.com/sports/x1...s-with-Phoenix

Quote:
Less than a year removed from overcoming cancer, Niagara men’s hockey player Scott Arnold signed a two-year NHL contract to play for the Phoenix Coyotes on Friday.

“It’s an honor to sign a professional contract,” Arnold said according to a Niagara news release. “Growing up, I always dreamed of playing in the NHL and now I am one step closer to making my dream a reality. I’m really looking forward to becoming a part of the Phoenix Coyotes organization and thank them for this opportunity.”

The 6-foot-2, 185-pound forward registered 26 goals and 14 assists during 67 games as a sophomore this past season.

Arnold overcame testicular cancer last summer and fought his way back into the lineup for the season opener at Michigan. In addition, he’s active in the community, coordinating the “Get Checked” campaign against testicular cancer with Mount Saint Mary’s Hospital in Lewiston.
I was going to go for 'the kid's got balls', but that's just low-hanging fruit.

pacerhimself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2012, 10:51 AM
Oilers Chick
Hockey's Future Staff

Greetings Coyotes fans!

Just wanted to say that this is a terrific pickup by Phoenix. I knew Scott was getting some offers, but I thought he would sign with New Jersey because they had expressed a lot of interest in him, but the Coyotes beat them to the punch.

Scott was impressive while at Niagara (yes, I've seen him play numerous times). A power forward who really uses his size well to drive to the net and protect the puck. If you all are expecting a lot of fancy play out of Scott, you're going to be disappointed. He works and competes hard and that's how he scores a lot of his goals. Many of his goals aren't pretty, usually tip-ins, rebounds or off goal mouth scrambles. IMO, his best asset are his hands. He moves the puck really well and can really fire the biscuit. He has some good playmaking ability too. My guess is one of the things that the Coyotes were really impressed with in seeing Scott was his play around the net. He has a very strong net presence and doesn't mind getting his nose dirty to make/finish the play. Scott also has some good wheels too, but I wouldn't call him a speed demon though.

Anyway, I hope this gives you all a little more insight on Scott. I wish him all the best in Phoenix.

Oilers Chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2012, 12:04 PM
Scottrocks58*
Six

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacerhimself View Post
Just looked him up, and the kid has heart:

http://niagara-gazette.com/sports/x1...s-with-Phoenix

I was going to go for 'the kid's got balls', but that's just low-hanging fruit.
Ouch - a double pun.

Scottrocks58* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2012, 12:27 PM
pacerhimself

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottrocks58 View Post
Ouch - a double pun.
The best kind of pun

pacerhimself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2012, 01:03 PM
mitch27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilers Chick View Post
Just wanted to say that this is a terrific pickup by Phoenix. I knew Scott was getting some offers, but I thought he would sign with New Jersey because they had expressed a lot of interest in him, but the Coyotes beat them to the punch.

Scott was impressive while at Niagara (yes, I've seen him play numerous times). A power forward who really uses his size well to drive to the net and protect the puck. If you all are expecting a lot of fancy play out of Scott, you're going to be disappointed. He works and competes hard and that's how he scores a lot of his goals. Many of his goals aren't pretty, usually tip-ins, rebounds or off goal mouth scrambles. IMO, his best asset are his hands. He moves the puck really well and can really fire the biscuit. He has some good playmaking ability too. My guess is one of the things that the Coyotes were really impressed with in seeing Scott was his play around the net. He has a very strong net presence and doesn't mind getting his nose dirty to make/finish the play. Scott also has some good wheels too, but I wouldn't call him a speed demon though.

Anyway, I hope this gives you all a little more insight on Scott. I wish him all the best in Phoenix.
Chris Brown?

mitch27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2012, 01:55 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitch27 View Post
Chris Brown?
One on each wing would make one hell of a hard fourth line to handle.

rt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2012, 02:06 PM
mitch27

Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
One on each wing would make one hell of a hard fourth line to handle.
That would be awesome to watch.

mitch27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2012, 02:11 PM
hbk

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitch27 View Post
Chris Brown?
Hopefully he turns pro. When does our hold on his rights expire? Just fearing a Nick Schultz/Blake Wheeler loophole.

Old
03-24-2012, 02:47 PM
PhoPhan

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbk View Post
Hopefully he turns pro. When does our hold on his rights expire? Just fearing a Nick Schultz/Blake Wheeler loophole.
Wheeler and Schultz (assuming you mean Justin) could both become UFAs because they spent a year in juniors (USHL for Wheeler and BCHL for Schultz) after being drafted but before going to the NCAA. Per CBA section 8.6 (Brown became a college student prior the June 1 following his draft):

-if Brown plays all four years at Michigan, the Coyotes have until the August 15 following his class's graduation to sign him.
-if Brown leaves early, the Coyotes have until the fourth June 1 following his draft to sign him.

So if he stays all four years, they have until August 15, 2013 to sign him. If he leaves early, they have until June 1, 2013. Either way, it's nothing to be worried about just yet.

PhoPhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2012, 02:56 PM
hbk

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoPhan View Post
Wheeler and Schultz (assuming you mean Justin) could both become UFAs because they spent a year in juniors (USHL for Wheeler and BCHL for Schultz) after being drafted but before going to the NCAA. Per CBA section 8.6 (Brown became a college student prior the June 1 following his draft):

-if Brown plays all four years at Michigan, the Coyotes have until the August 15 following his class's graduation to sign him.
-if Brown leaves early, the Coyotes have until the fourth June 1 following his draft to sign him.

So if he stays all four years, they have until August 15, 2013 to sign him. If he leaves early, they have until June 1, 2013. Either way, it's nothing to be worried about just yet.
Excellent. Thanks. For some reason I'm paranoid with College kids after the Wheeler experience.

Old
03-24-2012, 03:22 PM
PhoPhan

Quote:
Excellent. Thanks. For some reason I'm paranoid with College kids after the Wheeler experience.
The Wheeler thing seems to be the exception. I know Mueller and Turris both pulled crap to get out of town, but there's also been several big college and junior free agents now that have chosen Phoenix over anywhere else (Shinnimin and Arnold this year, Miele last year, etc.). Obviously the guys coming in aren't in the same class as those that left, but it's something.

PhoPhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2012, 03:25 PM
TeamTippett
Formally TeamTurris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottrocks58 View Post
Ouch - a double pun.
Aaaaaactually it's probably a single pun...you know with the testicular cancer et al

TeamTippett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2012, 10:59 AM
Redcoyote
Hungry

Quote:

Thanks for the info. Always great to have gritty players like that. If hes got good hands and decent wheels on top of a hard working gutsy attitude even better

Redcoyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2012, 11:02 AM
hbk

Quote:

As always love it when you post with such insight. Wish you would become "Coyote Chick".

Old
03-25-2012, 03:24 PM
Boedker89

So anyone know when he'll actually start playing?

Boedker89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2012, 03:37 PM
hbk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boedker89 View Post
So anyone know when he'll actually start playing?
next season. he's just here to soak up the atmosphere.

Old
03-25-2012, 03:37 PM
Boedker89

Quote:
next season. he's just here to soak up the atmosphere.
Ah I see. Thought he was going to play this season. Disappointed, but I can see why GMDM and Tipp would do that.

Boedker89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2012, 05:25 PM
Scottrocks58*
Six

Where in the tightest playoff race that I can remember. There's no way that the Coyotes will put an untested kid right in the middle of the scrum.

Scottrocks58* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2012, 01:50 AM
awfulwaffle

Quote:

Appreciate the insight! Always good to hear other's personal perspective who have seen them play!

I actually don't mind this kind of player, as it seems that's how we have to score our goals anyways. What is his ability defensively though? Would he fit in a Tippett style of play?

awfulwaffle is offline   Reply With Quote