HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

Leafs win 4-3 in Shootout

Old
03-24-2012, 01:43 AM
rj24

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by vezna View Post
When I was watching this episode I was praying someone would GIF this scene

rj24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2012, 01:56 AM
Median

If this was the last game of the season, Kadri would literally have become the next Boyd Devereaux lol.

Median is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2012, 03:29 AM
philer Bozel
It's Playoff Time!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whydidijoin View Post
You're right, let me fix it.

Smart Leaf fans that want a future are cheering for a win, but accepting of a loss.
"Tankers" are cheering for a loss, and not accepting of anything else.
What? So smart Leaf fans want to win pointless games that hurt our draft pick because that's making the team better? Please explain how that works? I'm not sure how long you've been a leaf fan but we've been doing that for the past 4 years and guess what? We're swimming in a bowl of mediocrity.

philer Bozel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2012, 05:33 AM
StarBurns RIP
No Agenda

Didn't see the game but considering that the team was outshot 3 to 1 and most NHL goalies would have just poke-checked Kadri instead of planting their rear end on the goal line, that was a very fortunate win.

How have New Jersey won enough for 6th place in the conference? Every time I see Brodeur he looks finished.

StarBurns RIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2012, 05:35 AM
StarBurns RIP
No Agenda

Quote:
Originally Posted by vezna View Post
6 seasons and a movie!

Old
03-24-2012, 07:57 AM
4evaBlue

Quote:
Originally Posted by pooleboy View Post
its not as much luck as it is developing and good scouting
If good development and scouting is all it took, then Jiri Fischer, Ryan Barnes, Tomek Valtonen, Jake McCracken, Brent Hobday, Calle Steen, Adam Deleeuw would have turned out to be non-busts, afterall, the Wings selected every single one of those players before Pavel Datsyuk. Clearly, their scouts (or anyone else's) didn't think that highly of him.

Or was it the Wings' player development that failed the rest of those players, and worked magic with Datsyuk?

Do the names Jari Tolsa, Andrei Maximenko, Kent McDonell ring a bell? No? They're the players the Wings organization had touted more highly than Zetterberg.

Like I said. Pure, blind luck.

4evaBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2012, 07:58 AM
Srsly

If you want to tank then that's your prerogative.

People who aren't zeroed in on losing every game shouldn't be attacked for being excited that our former number one goalie finally showed some glimpses of his former self after an injury, or that our former number one draft pick is excelling in the NHL after being labelled a bust by most of the community. This could be Kadri's last chance in the NHL as a Leaf. I'd much rather he perform than blow it during his first performance under a new coach.

Looking ahead both Reimer and Kadri needed great games in order to build their confidence back up after setbacks in their development. So it's not like happy fans are being totally short sighted.

Quit booing your fellow Leaf fans. They get enough flack from other fanbases without being attacked for wanting their team to win a game.

Srsly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2012, 08:13 AM
Confucius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Srsly View Post

People who aren't zeroed in on losing every game shouldn't be attacked for being excited that our former number one goalie finally showed some glimpses of his former self after an injury, or that our former number one draft pick is excelling in the NHL after being labelled a bust by most of the community. This could be Kadri's last chance in the NHL as a Leaf. I'd much rather he perform than blow it during his first performance under a new coach.

Looking ahead both Reimer and Kadri needed great games in order to build their confidence back up after setbacks in their development. So it's not like happy fans are being totally short sighted.

Quit booing your fellow Leaf fans. They get enough flack from other fanbases without being attacked for wanting their team to win a game.
That wouldn't surprise me, afterall we have to make room for some NCAA player.......

Anyway everybody else below us won last night as well, so we didn't lose any ground.

Confucius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2012, 08:14 AM
NiL8r87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Srsly View Post

I fail to see how 8 meaningless games at the end of the year is gonna further their development. It certainly didn't further the team's development the last 2 years. History shows us that these wins accomplish nothing.

NiL8r87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2012, 08:17 AM
Confucius

Quote:
Originally Posted by JesseV87 View Post
I fail to see how 8 meaningless games at the end of the year is gonna further their development. It certainly didn't further the team's development the last 2 years. History shows us that these wins accomplish nothing.
Send them down to the Marlies to get that winning attitude. Wasn't that what most people wanted, the marlies to go for a championship.

Old
03-24-2012, 08:18 AM
Gatorade*

Be great to see them go on a run here to finish the season. Could get up to 10 or maybe even 9th if they take out Buffalo in the two games.

Gatorade* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2012, 08:35 AM
StarBurns RIP
No Agenda

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4evaBlue View Post
If good development and scouting is all it took, then Jiri Fischer, Ryan Barnes, Tomek Valtonen, Jake McCracken, Brent Hobday, Calle Steen, Adam Deleeuw would have turned out to be non-busts, afterall, the Wings selected every single one of those players before Pavel Datsyuk. Clearly, their scouts (or anyone else's) didn't think that highly of him.

Or was it the Wings' player development that failed the rest of those players, and worked magic with Datsyuk?

Do the names Jari Tolsa, Andrei Maximenko, Kent McDonell ring a bell? No? They're the players the Wings organization had touted more highly than Zetterberg.

Like I said. Pure, blind luck.
Perhaps blind luck, we don't really know. But your argument of listing any team's failed draft picks is spurious. It ignores the nature of prospects for every team. You do realize that even the team with the best list of prospects in the NHL would be lucky to produce 25% of them into NHL players?

Old
03-24-2012, 08:37 AM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Lessor lights scored some goals and Reimer played well.

They'll be getting a top 10 pick, let's just hope it is a better draft than 2009.

Vaive and Ludzik on collapse, and Phaneuf.
ULF_55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2012, 08:40 AM
StarBurns RIP
No Agenda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyhopeful View Post
Send them down to the Marlies to get that winning attitude. Wasn't that what most people wanted, the marlies to go for a championship.
I guess it's just hard to hit a moving target.

Before: "Burke isn't doing a 5 year rebuild dummies." -->After: "You complainers have no patience for Burke's rebuild."

Old
03-24-2012, 08:48 AM
StarBurns RIP
No Agenda

Quote:
Originally Posted by ULF_55 View Post
Lessor lights scored some goals and Reimer played well.

They'll be getting a top 10 pick, let's just hope it is a better draft than 2009.
No draft expert here but I do wonder about the strength of a draft where there's no Canadian forwards in the top part of the draft.

Old
03-24-2012, 08:54 AM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4evaBlue View Post
This whole "skill" to draft quality with lower round picks is BS. It's luck, nothing else. If teams knew the player was going to be as good as he turned out to be, they would have been picked in the first round. Drafting the likes of Datsyk, Lucic, Thomas was just that. Blind luck.
Not entirely.

Detroit has said they look for skilled players and will disregard other aspects that some teams may value.

Not entirely, in that had they known the result they would have selected some players earlier, but when they chose a player, even in the last round based on some criteria it isn't all luck. Luck would be just randomly pulling names out of a hat.

If you chose size and truculence over skill and smarts it might not matter where you pick. Burke talks that way, but his record shows he doesn't just draft that way. Jerry D'Amigo was a late pick, and it wasn't based on size and truculence.

And of course once you get them you still have to nurture and develop them, or let that be done elsewhere.

Old
03-24-2012, 08:55 AM
Aplayaz2000

Quote:
lol

of course NHL experience doesn't account for anything...

Aplayaz2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2012, 09:09 AM
Confucius

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarBurns View Post
I guess it's just hard to hit a moving target.

Before: "Burke isn't doing a 5 year rebuild dummies." -->After: "You complainers have no patience for Burke's rebuild."
I've always had patience for a rebuild My beef is Burke doesn't. He hasn't done well with his win now attitude. He isn't rebuilding if he's trading picks.

Old
03-24-2012, 09:10 AM
Confucius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aplayaz2000 View Post
lol

of course NHL experience doesn't account for anything...
They can get it next year

Old
03-24-2012, 09:11 AM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
No draft expert here but I do wonder about the strength of a draft where there's no Canadian forwards in the top part of the draft.
Kind of retro.

If you remember hearing how the Russians didn't have any creativity because they had to conform to team play and yet they certainly looked skilled and talented when they came over here.

I've read a few places the forward talent in the top 20 will be all European, but keep in mind much of that is playing in North America. Defender heavy draft of North Americans, maybe the empha$i$ on winning in juniors is forcing the forwards to conform to team goals.

It isn't like there are never skilled Europeans, but we might just be seeing an unusual year where the best aren't North American. They all seem to have all the same parts, 2 legs, 2 arms a head ... just cycles.

I think it is good for the top 10 that you can point at 4-5 Europeans forwards who could be there, probably means Leafs can get a worthy forward.

Yakupov might be the smallest of the bunch, so physically, there is no reason for the Leafs to draft someone and "hope" they grow.

Old
03-24-2012, 09:17 AM
StarBurns RIP
No Agenda

Quote:
I've always had patience for a rebuild My beef is Burke doesn't. He hasn't done well with his win now attitude. He isn't rebuilding if he's trading picks.
Fortunately he didn't give into temptation at the trade deadline this year.

Old
03-24-2012, 09:19 AM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

brough a smile to my face to see kadri work well yesterday good for him

03-24-2012, 09:19 AM
Confucius

Quote:
Fortunately he didn't give into temptation at the trade deadline this year.
Has he used the pick yet? I wouldn't put it past him

Old
03-24-2012, 09:26 AM
4evaBlue

Quote:
Perhaps blind luck, we don't really know. But your argument of listing any team's failed draft picks is spurious. It ignores the nature of prospects for every team. You do realize that even the team with the best list of prospects in the NHL would be lucky to produce 25% of them into NHL players?
The point wasn't to list failed prospects, the point was to list the prospects that the Wings organization thought had more of a chance to make it to the NHL than Zetterberg and Datsyuk. If that's what people consider elite scouting, well... I'll stick with randomly drawing names out of a hat.

4evaBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2012, 09:27 AM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

im also glad to hear reimer had a good game, anyone wanna give a legit recap?

Leaf Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote