Old
03-24-2012, 11:30 AM
I Hate Chris Butler
Backlund Fan Club

vCash: 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Brostopolous View Post
U of L? Anyone? Anyone? ... Bueller?
One of my friends goes to school in Lethbridge and it seems like all she does is party. I'm jelly. I think that's Lethbridge College though.

Also, Sask transportation sucks. The buses in Regina are ****, and even worse in Saskatoon. So, avoid it unless you have your own vehicle or like walking.

I Hate Chris Butler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2012, 01:21 PM
Xelstyle

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by I Hate Jay Feaster View Post
One of my friends goes to school in Lethbridge and it seems like all she does is party. I'm jelly. I think that's Lethbridge College though.
That's what I've heard too.
My beef with the Calgary Transit is the fact that it's just inconsistent. Go to a bus stop 5 minutes early? No problem, bus shows up 5 and a half minutes early.

Need to get to class? No worries, bus driver takes a break at Mac's for 10 minutes.

Xelstyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2012, 08:08 PM
lggy

I just got accepted to UofC and it reminded me of this thread. excited to watch my flames!

lggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2012, 12:24 AM
InfinityIggy
No Longer Flammable

I also go to SAIT, i've probably seen some of you around.

InfinityIggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2012, 12:30 AM
DBU
Never Quit

vCash: 464
Quote:
Originally Posted by InfinityIggy View Post
I also go to SAIT, i've probably seen some of you around.
I'll ask what I asked the other guy, just because I'm curious. What program?

DBU is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2012, 12:48 AM
InfinityIggy
No Longer Flammable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duck Sauce View Post
I'll ask what I asked the other guy, just because I'm curious. What program?
New Media Production & Design. How about you?

Old
03-25-2012, 01:27 AM
DBU
Never Quit

Quote:
New Media Production & Design. How about you?
IT - Software Development. That's funny, one of my friends is in the New Media course too, maybe you know her.

Old
03-25-2012, 02:25 AM
theripper

spent half my time at UofC,and half at UBC. I prefer UofC. UBC is too ******* depressing to me. its like you're on an island, with green and trees everywhere. it gets old quick,and then you're suffering. I also found people were friendlier in calgary. I highly recommend UofC, great place and it was a whole lot of fun. You're also minutes from everywhere.Everything from banking to shopping is easily accessible by walking.

theripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2012, 11:23 AM
Baarle*
Lähme looduses

I'll add a bit to my original post. I'm interested in a Bcomm, or any type of marketing type business program. I looked at uni in BC, but it was showing insanely high tuition rates, not sure what Calgary's are like though. Also, edmonton, no thanks

Baarle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2012, 11:33 AM
Janks
Pope Janks

vCash: 218
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oranje For Life View Post
I'll add a bit to my original post. I'm interested in a Bcomm, or any type of marketing type business program. I looked at uni in BC, but it was showing insanely high tuition rates, not sure what Calgary's are like though. Also, edmonton, no thanks
I'm currently going through my BComm at the U of C, so tuition is $3034.43 per term for 5 classes.

Janks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2012, 12:07 PM
Flames 1st pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkGio View Post
IMO, Alberta is the Texas of Canada. Southern Albertans are "cowboys" whereas northern Albertans are rig pigs. Not in an offensive way, just in a general comedic way. Except for Ft. Mac; there's no cowboys or rig pigs, just mari-timers. LOL.
That's funny. I have lived in both Alberta and Texas and they are not the same at all....

except there are very rich oil people in both places

There are little to do in Texas except farm land...there are plenty of outdoor thing to do in Alberta

Flames 1st pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2012, 12:17 PM
Flames Fanatic
Unclenched

vCash: 1127
Quote:
Not to be offensive, but BC also has to deal with a larger Asian population, which means a lot more kids who put in an insane work ethic when it comes to school. Which means when profs grade on a curve, or with a specific amount of each letter grade to hand out, it can be trouble.

Flames Fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2012, 12:28 PM
FLAMES666

vCash: 1800
Quote:
Well I took Marketing at Mount Royal University, the location is not as good as U of C (transit wise), but their are differences in the programs. Mount Royal has small class sizes like around 30 - 40 people, its really hands on and you do a lot of group projects (which is really good for marketing). I don't know a whole lot about marketing at U of C, but I find students from their are way to serious. Class sizes are much larger so I would assume it is going to be more lecture based learning. They say Tuition at MRU is a bit cheaper then U of C, but I really don't think its a big difference.

FLAMES666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2012, 02:44 PM
Xelstyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLAMES666 View Post
Well I took Marketing at Mount Royal University, the location is not as good as U of C (transit wise), but their are differences in the programs. Mount Royal has small class sizes like around 30 - 40 people, its really hands on and you do a lot of group projects (which is really good for marketing). I don't know a whole lot about marketing at U of C, but I find students from their are way to serious. Class sizes are much larger so I would assume it is going to be more lecture based learning. They say Tuition at MRU is a bit cheaper then U of C, but I really don't think its a big difference.
Definitely if you're looking for a more fulfilling class experience, MRU is just the place to go. UofC, depending on your classes can get pretty bad with classrooms of 200 people, quarter flipping through FB, a couple gaming and others doing other stuff like surfing HFBoards.

Tuition between the two is pretty negligible considering how long and how much you're paying in the long run.

As for marketing kids, all the ones I've known just hate their classes.

Xelstyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2012, 03:22 PM
goodsauce

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xelstyle View Post
Definitely if you're looking for a more fulfilling class experience, MRU is just the place to go. UofC, depending on your classes can get pretty bad with classrooms of 200 people, quarter flipping through FB, a couple gaming and others doing other stuff like surfing HFBoards.

Tuition between the two is pretty negligible considering how long and how much you're paying in the long run.

As for marketing kids, all the ones I've known just hate their classes.
I was one of the select few who did all 3 Then I realized I was (with alot of help from the rents) paying and not learning, so I went to MRU and I find I can actually pay attention and feel like I am not paying a university for an extra room to internet surf in.

I think that UofC is simply more prestigious, and recognized, which is why people choose it, along with the wider variety of majors. MRU will soon catch up in regards to sciences, arts, and business, though IMO.

goodsauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2012, 03:42 PM
Flames Fanatic
Unclenched

vCash: 1127
MRU still isn't quite there in terms of quality for me. I've got loads of friends at MRU, who while they aren't stupid by any stretch, they aren't academics by any definition either. Yet somehow, papers that we both agree aren't of good quality somehow get fantastic grades.

I will say that it depends heavily on the program though. It seems like grading in the General Education degree seems quite easier than the rest of the school, and thats what most of my friends are in, so perhaps I'm biased.

U of C though... there are just some programs you stay the holy hell away from. Education being one of them.

Flames Fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2012, 04:44 PM
MarkGio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames Fanatic View Post
MRU still isn't quite there in terms of quality for me. I've got loads of friends at MRU, who while they aren't stupid by any stretch, they aren't academics by any definition either. Yet somehow, papers that we both agree aren't of good quality somehow get fantastic grades.

I will say that it depends heavily on the program though. It seems like grading in the General Education degree seems quite easier than the rest of the school, and thats what most of my friends are in, so perhaps I'm biased.

U of C though... there are just some programs you stay the holy hell away from. Education being one of them.
I can agree somewhat. But sometimes prestigious universities deflect away from the purpose of the programs. Like it was said previously, research funded classes tend to be research heavy in learning.

Ive taken a lot of classes during my BSc that tested concepts, but taught research a lot. I'm currently enrolled in a more applied program outside the university realm and I find the learning process much more comprehensive, applicable, and practical. But my grades obviously increased since even though I'm practicing the same study techniques, so the applied side is much easier.

MarkGio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2012, 05:08 PM
I Hate Chris Butler
Backlund Fan Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikael Backlund View Post
I'm currently going through my BComm at the U of C, so tuition is $3034.43 per term for 5 classes.
How is it there in terms of living? Here at the U of R, it's basically around the same thing, but in addition to that I'm paying $2600 a term to live in a ****** little dorm room and an extra $1050 for a useless ****ing mandatory meal card. I'm thinking it would be cheaper to just live on my own.

I Hate Chris Butler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2012, 05:25 PM
MarkGio

Quote:
How is it there in terms of living? Here at the U of R, it's basically around the same thing, but in addition to that I'm paying $2600 a term to live in a ****** little dorm room and an extra $1050 for a useless ****ing mandatory meal card. I'm thinking it would be cheaper to just live on my own.
It might be cheaper with roommates. I would rent a two bedroom basement suite for 700 bucks and split the rent a few years back. Only bill was the electrical. But much better living than a dorm minus the parties.

MarkGio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2012, 05:30 PM
InfinityIggy
No Longer Flammable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duck Sauce View Post
IT - Software Development. That's funny, one of my friends is in the New Media course too, maybe you know her.
Haha, I probably do whats her name?

Old
03-25-2012, 07:23 PM
DBU
Never Quit

Quote:
Haha, I probably do whats her name?
Well it occurred to me afterwards that if you are second year, you probably won't, but her name is Addy. Might be a long shot but who knows lol.

Old
03-25-2012, 08:44 PM
Baarle*
Lähme looduses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames Fanatic View Post

Sorry but what is MRU ha

Baarle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2012, 08:45 PM
FLAMES666

vCash: 1800
Quote:
Sorry but what is MRU ha
Mount Royal University

FLAMES666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2012, 08:58 PM
Janks
Pope Janks

vCash: 218
Quote:
Depends on the building you're living in on campus, but it's about $3000 per term on average, plus a mandatory meal plan. The meal plans are stupid, because the food is over priced, so they gouge you a ton. The cheapest meal plan is $1250 I believe.

I found living with a roommate works much better. Rent is only $450 a month.

Janks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2012, 09:31 PM
Janko Unchained
Calgary Dumb Dumbs

vCash: 1044
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikael Backlund View Post
Depends on the building you're living in on campus, but it's about $3000 per term on average, plus a mandatory meal plan. The meal plans are stupid, because the food is over priced, so they gouge you a ton. The cheapest meal plan is $1250 I believe.

I found living with a roommate works much better. Rent is only $450 a month.
That's brutal. I thought the $2000-2500/month at UofL for the dorms was bad. My friend was over at my place yesterday, was telling me that his parents are paying to the effect of $700-800/month for him to stay in the dorms, plus his meal plan.

Janko Unchained is offline   Reply With Quote