HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Terry Pegula Factor (might not be what you think)

Old
03-23-2012, 11:13 PM
vcv
Deal with it

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to vcv
The Terry Pegula Factor (might not be what you think)

Let's talk about the words of Terry Pegula, not the riches of Terry Pegula.

----

2010-2010 Season
Before Pegula: 27-25-6
After Pegula : 16-4-4

So, what else happened? Team was energized simply by a new owner? Partially.

How about Terry Pegula straight up slamming the Buffalo Media for their negativity towards the team (1 day after he took over, same day they played their first game with him as owner)
http://blogs.buffalonews.com/sabres/...ial-board.html
http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...d.php?t=882684

Some quotes (paraphrased):
Quote:
"I think part of the quit in this team comes from the media."
Quote:
"Has anybody here said anything good about this team recently?"
He backed his team and went on the offensive against the media. Was it an intentional distraction or him just speaking his mind? Who knows, but the team responded down the stretch.

So you could view their 16-4-4 record as Post-Pegula-Media-Slam

----

2011-2012 Season
Obviously there is no "before" and "after" Pegula here, but what we did see again is Pegula speaking out publically in support of his team, trying to deflect blame for their play and stand behind his belief in them.

January 13th:
http://blogs.buffalonews.com/sabres/...ry-pegula.html
Quote:
"I have to believe we're a better hockey team than we were last year. We just didn't have this massive, catastrophic injury problem. Put yourself in anybody's place in the organization. How do you evaluate what's going on?"
Quote:
"They know that more than you do," Pegula said. "I hope you don't think Drew Stafford is happy with his goal production, or Derek Roy, or Ville Leino. They're pressing. They've played pretty well lately. If we get some consistency in the lineup for a period of time, I got to believe it will fall back together again."
Quote:
"My attitude now is, 'Let's put Humpty [Dumpty] back together again,' " Pegula said. "I want our players to know that I thought we had a pretty good hockey team until all this happened. Let's paste it back together and start a new season."
Prior to those comments: 18-19-5
After those comments: 18-10-5

----

On a final note, Terry Pegula backing his team publically does not preclude Darcy from making moves in the off-season to improve the team. That's not what this thread is about. It's about whether or not Terry's words carry weight in the team's performance and commitment to backing up their own words. So what kind of weight does Terry carry outside of his pocket books?

vcv is offline   Reply With Quote