HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

REDO last 4 years...

Closed Thread

Old
11-18-2004, 06:19 PM
ChrisKreider20
But y u mad?

vCash: 500
REDO last 4 years...

Do what you would have done. Include waiver drafts, drafts, trades, free agency, coaching... etc and then post what the roster would look like today if these changes were made.

Old
11-18-2004, 07:29 PM
TheZherdev

i dont really have time so ill make this quick. Fire sather and hire bowman.

Old
11-18-2004, 07:34 PM
Fletch

Can't redo last four years...

unfortunately, and we can talk about all the possible changes, but since none of those changes were implemented, the outcome would be impossible to determine.

Old
11-18-2004, 07:36 PM
NYRangers

I still don't think Sather was the problem. I would have done every move he made. The reason we lost a lot is because of coaching. We didin't have a style, we didnt have a system, or a motivator. All we needed was what were trying to get now, a system.

Old
11-18-2004, 07:43 PM
Kubera55

Not the whole four years, but a good place to start:

http://bb.hockeybird.com/viewtopic.p...ight=hindsight

Old
11-18-2004, 07:51 PM
Sather Hater

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRangers
I still don't think Sather was the problem. I would have done every move he made. The reason we lost a lot is because of coaching. We didin't have a style, we didnt have a system, or a motivator. All we needed was what were trying to get now, a system.
SO that means you would have hired Trottier also?

I think Ken Hitchcock would have made a big difference rather than some puppet behind the bench and no defensive system, someone to install discipline and fear in the players.

Old
11-18-2004, 07:53 PM
NYRangers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sather Hater
SO that means you would have hired Trottier also?

I think Ken Hitchcock would have made a big difference rather than some puppet behind the bench and no defensive system, someone to install discipline and fear in the players.
Can you read? " I would have done every move he made. The reason we lost a lot is because of coaching."

Old
11-18-2004, 09:10 PM
TheZherdev

im still banging my head to this very day that we missed out on hitchcock and hartley. both begging to be in new york. but nooooo sather has to have some control over the bench.

Old
11-18-2004, 09:53 PM
Son of Steinbrenner

the past four years might be leading to a very bright future watching a young team grow.

Old
11-18-2004, 10:52 PM
Sather Hater

Quote:
Can you read? " I would have done every move he made. The reason we lost a lot is because of coaching."
I can read that is why I am asking. When you state "I would have done every move he made" that means make the trades he did AND hire the coaches he did. Unless your saying Sather didn't hire them, I was under the impression he did, because he is the GM and he was the one that was so impressed with Trottier who didn't know how to use a computer and hand wrote a 15 page letter with crayon's explaining why he should be the coach of the NY Rangers.

Furthermore your telling me you would trade York for Poti?

Old
11-18-2004, 11:02 PM
NYRangers

Quote:
Actually I would. People here are too hard on Poti. He wasn't great last season but he was one of the best defensmen in his first year here and he is alright. Too much responsibility was given to him. Hes not a top two guy.

Furthermore, Poti has even outscored Mike York since the trade.

Old
11-18-2004, 11:39 PM
Kubera55

Quote:
While I'm not as sure as I once was on this one, I still think I would. Poti's bigger, younger, and right now he's even with York (Poti was better first year, York was better second year) in performance since the trade.

Honestly, I think you are missing some much more obvious gaffes... I mean, take a look at the deals for Kovalev, Bure, Carter, Rucinsky, and the contract awarded to Darius Kasparitius. To say nothing of the mega-millions Holik is pulling down and the deal to bring the latest 'savior' to NY; Jagr.

THOSE are deals that are really difficult (if not impossible) to defend at this point. Even if they might have seemed like good ideas at the time.

York for Poti? In the end that was small potato's, and hardly the disaster many NYR fans make it out to be.

Old
11-18-2004, 11:47 PM
Prucha73

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kubera55
While I'm not as sure as I once was on this one, I still think I would. Poti's bigger, younger, and right now he's even with York (Poti was better first year, York was better second year) in performance since the trade.

Honestly, I think you are missing some much more obvious gaffes... I mean, take a look at the deals for Kovalev, Bure, Carter, Rucinsky, and the contract awarded to Darius Kasparitius. To say nothing of the mega-millions Holik is pulling down and the deal to bring the latest 'savior' to NY; Jagr.

THOSE are deals that are really difficult (if not impossible) to defend at this point. Even if they might have seemed like good ideas at the time.

York for Poti? In the end that was small potato's, and hardly the disaster many NYR fans make it out to be.
Poti is not younger than York. And Poti's size is totally useless/worthless.

Old
11-19-2004, 01:36 AM
Kovy274Hart

Send a message via AIM to Kovy274Hart
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kubera55

Just curious. But do you post on the Cafe?

Old
11-19-2004, 07:02 AM
ohpleasesather

"the contract awarded to Darius Kasparitius"

The contract Kasper got is really one of the better contracts in the NHL. People who bash that contract really are clueless on how good Kasper is. It's simply impossible to find physical defenseman like him with his skill that play all 82 games hard. The bottom line was the Rangers totally crumbled when Kasper got hurt. Even more then when DeVries went down. You could easily make the argument Kasper would be the best defenseman on Tampa.

Old
11-19-2004, 08:59 AM
Larry Melnyk

Easy, No Sather and No Meglomaniac Messier II..Without them, the whole philosophy and atmosphere would have been different..All the ills of the last 4 years followed from these two signings and the moves made by and for them...

Old
11-19-2004, 09:15 AM
Sather Hater

Quote:
Actually I would. People here are too hard on Poti. He wasn't great last season but he was one of the best defensmen in his first year here and he is alright. Too much responsibility was given to him. Hes not a top two guy.

Furthermore, Poti has even outscored Mike York since the trade.
OK Poti outscored York since the trade, and what planet are you from?

First off, depsite playing less games due to a few injuries (broken hand) York has scored 97 points and Poti has scored 80 since the trade. So why don't you check your facts before you start making comments like that.

Secondly why was Poti booed out of Edmonton, and in the two years as a Ranger made probably 95% of Ranger fans dislike him, and wish he was traded, while York is considered by many Edmonton fans as one of their top guys and I've even seen him called their MVP by many.

Old
11-19-2004, 10:46 AM
NYRangers

I looked at the stats wrong but look.

Poti's first 11 games as a Ranger 8 points in 11 games.
Potis' first full season 48 points.
Last year 24 points.

Out of 3 years with the Rangers he played great 2 out of 3. He wasn't that bad on defense the first two but last year he ws horrible. Everyone here is too hard on him. He only had one bad season.

Old
11-19-2004, 12:16 PM
True Blue

Quote:
How on Earth could you justify playing Sather's pond hockey system again? How on Earth could you ever justify making the Lindros, Bure, or Jagr trades again? How on Earth could you justify the lack of accountability atmosphere that Sather installed again? Sather changes various coaches, various players, and the team just got worse and worse. And you still find him faultless?

Old
11-19-2004, 01:07 PM
NYIsles1*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Melnyk
Easy, No Sather and No Meglomaniac Messier II..Without them, the whole philosophy and atmosphere would have been different..All the ills of the last 4 years followed from these two signings and the moves made by and for them...
Impossible to improve on that...

Old
11-19-2004, 01:51 PM
Fletch

Larry...

while I tend to agree, unfortunately, as I alluded, there's no guarantee on what the ultimate outcomes would have been. No Messier or Sather or Low or Trottier doesn't mean Lundmark and Brendl become stars in Rangers uniforms, or that Kloucek is consistent or healthy, or that Manny's a star, etc. We can think of different things to do that I believe make sense, but as we know, the ultimate outcomes would be impossible to determine.

Old
11-19-2004, 02:27 PM
ftyutin51

Take back that 151 Sather was drinking when he hired Trottier and hand him some fresh water to hire Scotty Bowman or even Ken Hitchcock. Trottier.. what a load of crap that guy was! I seriously think that if we had had a coach who actually knew how to make a system work or how to make his players produce.. our team would be soooo much better now.. Maybe get a person like Lou Lammirello (?) who actually believes that youth IS better then old veterans who can hardly skate... let alone play anymore..

Old
11-19-2004, 02:32 PM
NYRangers

Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue
How on Earth could you justify playing Sather's pond hockey system again? How on Earth could you ever justify making the Lindros, Bure, or Jagr trades again? How on Earth could you justify the lack of accountability atmosphere that Sather installed again? Sather changes various coaches, various players, and the team just got worse and worse. And you still find him faultless?

HEELLLLLLLLOOOOO I said I wouldnt use his system.

And why wouldn't you have traded Krispy Kreme Brendl for Jagr? That didnt work. Florida got nothing for Bure and you'd rather have Anson Carter than Jagr? Give me a break. If you were offered those deals at the time you would have taken them time.

You put words into my mouth yet again. Did I ever say hes faultless? No, I blame him for most of our problems. But the player transactions were not the problem.

Old
11-19-2004, 02:53 PM
Taz

Jagr owns!

i like Lindros too, silly mellon head

Old
11-19-2004, 03:00 PM
True Blue

Quote:
You put words into my mouth yet again.
Did you or did you not state that you would make all of the same transactions that Sather did?

"But the player transactions were not the problem."

Kidding me right?

"And why wouldn't you have traded Krispy Kreme Brendl for Jagr?"

He was not traded for Jagr. He was included in the Lindros trade. Let's try to keep our facts straight, shall we?

"If you were offered those deals at the time you would have taken them time."

No, I would not have. I would not have traded away ANYTHING for Lindros. Who did not know that a guy with 7 concussions would NEVER be the same player he was before them? The fact that Brendle is a bust and Hlavac is not much better is only hindsight 20/20. Hlavac netted the Flyers Brash, who proceeded to torment the Rangers. At the time of the trade, Brendl was a highly-touted prospect and Hlavac was a former 30 goal scorer (or right around there). Plus let us NOT forget that Kim Jonsson also went. All of these players could have been packaged for something better than a broken down superstar who was a shell of his former self. And, let's not forget that we ALSO gave up a 1st round pick.
I would not have traded anything for Bure. Another broken down former superstar. Another 1stg round pick traded away.
I would not have traded for Jagr. Something about chronic groin problems and head problems that would scare me off. Plus, wasn't the defense the problem at the time? Why would you trade for Jagr, only to have a firesale 3 weeks latter? For that matter, why would you not hold a practice for 2 weeks after trading for him? At least the Caps turned Carter into Aullin. THAT is what I would have done. Acquired another forward prospect. Not be saddled with Jagr's $11m contract for the next 3 years.
Nor would I have allowed Schnieder to walk, just so that I can replace him with Malakhov. There are more, but there is only so much time in a day.

Closed Thread