HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

Will Carlyle take the "C" away from Phaneuf this summer.

View Poll Results: Yes or No?
Phaneuf will keep it. 167 73.89%
A new Captain will start the 2012-2013 season. 59 26.11%
Voters: 226. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-24-2012, 01:21 PM
  #26
Penalty Kill Icing*
Fire Carlyle
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,972
vCash: 140
I like how people think that Phaneuf is a dressing room leader. If anything, he is known to be someone who is responsible for changing songs on the iPod.

No brainer really that when Leafs went downhill, even coaching change couldn't lift the team up. GM can't lift the morale. The team leadership has to step up, and it failed BIG TIME!

Phaneuf isn't an on-ice leader at all, and as far as being a dressing room leader is concerned, it clearly shows that he hasn't been able to motivate the team for the win, when it mattered the most. Which is visible from the fact that Leafs consistently now hit < 20 shots a game.

Penalty Kill Icing* is offline  
Old
03-24-2012, 01:21 PM
  #27
Penalty Kill Icing*
Fire Carlyle
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,972
vCash: 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForzaZuffa View Post
Is there a legit justification for him keeping it?
Our record with Dion in lineup speaks for itself!

And so does our record with Dion as our captain.

Penalty Kill Icing* is offline  
Old
03-24-2012, 01:24 PM
  #28
jmart21
MISC!!!
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: All Over The Place
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,433
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eb View Post
I agree.

But I think they are also basing it on his play of recent and also his inability to get his team to play up to standard (as they have played before). But even still, that shouldn't merit them taking the C off his jersey.

Wait - I thought it was worldwide consensus that Ron Wilson was the reason for this team not playing up to standard?

Are we now all agreeing to forget we ever said that and point the finger at someone else?

This fanbase is so irrational it hurts.

jmart21 is offline  
Old
03-24-2012, 01:24 PM
  #29
T M L
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: T.O
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,702
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by EazyB97 View Post
A few captains have been stripped of their C, Marleau, Hull and Lecavalier all come to mind.
Yup.


IF Nash does come here, then Phaneuf should immediately be stripped of it and Nash should take it.

It would be great to have a trade around Phaneuf + for Nash. But highly unlikely.

T M L is offline  
Old
03-24-2012, 01:24 PM
  #30
ForzaZuffa
Don't stare at it...
 
ForzaZuffa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Country: Italy
Posts: 9,256
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penalty Kill Icing View Post
Our record with Dion in lineup speaks for itself!

And so does our record with Dion as our captain.
I'm just saying to those lol'ing at people with whole "lulz at the ppl who think they're in the room" shtick, it goes both ways. You're not in the room either, so what makes you think he SHOULD keep it, what has justified that? What exactly has this guy done in his career to suggest he should continue to captain a sinking ship?

ForzaZuffa is offline  
Old
03-24-2012, 01:24 PM
  #31
Run705
The 705 Collection
 
Run705's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 474
vCash: 500
I'd personally rather have Lupul as the captain.

Run705 is offline  
Old
03-24-2012, 01:25 PM
  #32
Eb
TML
 
Eb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,181
vCash: 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmart21 View Post
Wait - I thought it was worldwide consensus that Ron Wilson was the reason for this team not playing up to standard?

Are we now all agreeing to forget we ever said that and point the finger at someone else?

This fanbase is so irrational it hurts.
You generalizing every poster on this forum is irrational, it hurts.

Eb is offline  
Old
03-24-2012, 01:26 PM
  #33
Erdinger
Registered User
 
Erdinger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,681
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForzaZuffa View Post
I'm just saying to those lol'ing at people with whole "lulz at the ppl who think they're in the room" shtick, it goes both ways. You're not in the room either, so what makes you think he SHOULD keep it, what has justified that? What exactly has this guy done in his career to suggest he should continue to captain a sinking ship?
But didn't you know they occupy a much higher moral and intellectual ground than the rest of us so they don't have to justify anything.

Erdinger is offline  
Old
03-24-2012, 01:27 PM
  #34
ForzaZuffa
Don't stare at it...
 
ForzaZuffa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Country: Italy
Posts: 9,256
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eb View Post
You generalizing every poster on this forum is irrational, it hurts.
This, constantly the same holier than thou shtick incessantly with certain posters on this board with the generalizations of all Leaf's Nation

ForzaZuffa is offline  
Old
03-24-2012, 01:27 PM
  #35
jmart21
MISC!!!
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: All Over The Place
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,433
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penalty Kill Icing View Post
I like how people think that Phaneuf is a dressing room leader. If anything, he is known to be someone who is responsible for changing songs on the iPod.

No brainer really that when Leafs went downhill, even coaching change couldn't lift the team up. GM can't lift the morale. The team leadership has to step up, and it failed BIG TIME!

Phaneuf isn't an on-ice leader at all, and as far as being a dressing room leader is concerned, it clearly shows that he hasn't been able to motivate the team for the win, when it mattered the most. Which is visible from the fact that Leafs consistently now hit < 20 shots a game.
Wait, I thought we were begging for a defensive coach, even at the expense of offense...? How is total shots related back to a faulty captain?

jmart21 is offline  
Old
03-24-2012, 01:30 PM
  #36
ForzaZuffa
Don't stare at it...
 
ForzaZuffa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Country: Italy
Posts: 9,256
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boogeymane View Post
I'd personally rather have Lupul as the captain.
Personally, Lupul has shown me a lot more with his mentality and determination after his career-threatening injury complications and the way he's not only bounced back, but become a different player, then Phaneuf has.

ForzaZuffa is offline  
Old
03-24-2012, 01:33 PM
  #37
Suntouchable13
Registered User
 
Suntouchable13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Thornhill, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,688
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by T M L View Post
Yup.


IF Nash does come here, then Phaneuf should immediately be stripped of it and Nash should take it.

It would be great to have a trade around Phaneuf + for Nash. But highly unlikely.
Nash is so overrated just because he is a Toronto area "kid" who was once drafted first overall. He has done jack **** with the captaincy except try and bail on his team. Wow, what a great captain! and he is more overpaid than Dion.

Suntouchable13 is online now  
Old
03-24-2012, 01:33 PM
  #38
indigobuffalo
Portage and Main
 
indigobuffalo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Winnipeg MB
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,623
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Felstead View Post
He should.


Whether he will or not is a different story. As far as I'm concerned, Phaneuf is a disappointment in the sense of the great Captains before him that wore the blue and white. I can't name a worse leaf Captain to be honest, its quite sad.
Without referencing wikipedia, how many can you even name?

Phaneuf has been a good captain, and I very much doubt there are many, if any, guys in the locker room that don't think he's a good captain. I'd rather see Phaneuf grow in the role of captain on this team than anyone else. And hopefully after this summer the league get's Shanahan to let some of the open-ice hits back into the game, so Phaneuf can go back to being a train on the blue line.

indigobuffalo is offline  
Old
03-24-2012, 01:49 PM
  #39
Pyromaniac3
Registered User
 
Pyromaniac3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Toronto
Country: India
Posts: 3,071
vCash: 500
There is no one on the team that deserves it more than Phanuef.

Pyromaniac3 is online now  
Old
03-24-2012, 02:00 PM
  #40
officialmark7*
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 1,185
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffler View Post
I like how everyone who says yes totally knows how the Leafs dressing room operates.
I like how everyone who says no totally knows how the Leafs dressing room operates.

officialmark7* is offline  
Old
03-24-2012, 02:09 PM
  #41
blasted_Sabre
Global Moderator
Warden of the North
 
blasted_Sabre's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Muskoka
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,699
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by T M L View Post
Yup.


IF Nash does come here, then Phaneuf should immediately be stripped of it and Nash should take it.

It would be great to have a trade around Phaneuf + for Nash. But highly unlikely.
Why? What has Nash done that makes him a better Captain?

blasted_Sabre is online now  
Old
03-24-2012, 02:10 PM
  #42
pooleboy
#buildthrewthedraft
 
pooleboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Ontario
Posts: 5,286
vCash: 500
i messed up, i hit the wrong one, but unless Phaneuf is traded he will have the C next season. its very rare to see the C change and work out for the better, look at SJ how has that worked out? (no cups and that is your ultimate goal)

pooleboy is online now  
Old
03-24-2012, 02:11 PM
  #43
Everlong
-
 
Everlong's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,760
vCash: 500
Who would you give it to?

Lupul and Liles seem like good guys, and both have strong work ethic (my main prerequisite), but I don't see them able to handle the responsibilities that being captain entails.

Phaneuf isn't ideal, but he'll have to due. In my opinion, there's not much use in wanting change when there isn't another option out there.

Everlong is online now  
Old
03-24-2012, 02:11 PM
  #44
pooleboy
#buildthrewthedraft
 
pooleboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Ontario
Posts: 5,286
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by T M L View Post
Yup.


IF Nash does come here, then Phaneuf should immediately be stripped of it and Nash should take it.

It would be great to have a trade around Phaneuf + for Nash. But highly unlikely.
were not getting Nash. stop wisihing, hoping or w/e this team will be better in the future if we DONT trade for him.

pooleboy is online now  
Old
03-24-2012, 02:13 PM
  #45
rumman
Registered User
 
rumman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 1,875
vCash: 500
the way Phaneuf's been playing, Carlyle should take his skates away before the C on his jersey.


rumman is online now  
Old
03-24-2012, 02:22 PM
  #46
Penalty Kill Icing*
Fire Carlyle
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,972
vCash: 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyromaniac3 View Post
There is no one on the team that deserves it more than Phanuef.
May be Lupul really does. But IMO, we don't have a NHL captain at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmart21 View Post
Wait, I thought we were begging for a defensive coach, even at the expense of offense...? How is total shots related back to a faulty captain?
The shot total isn't reflective of defensive system; but more of low morale, confidence level of players. This is not just limited to shot total, but includes losing every puck battle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rumman View Post
the way Phaneuf's been playing, Carlyle should take his skates away before the C on his jersey.

lol

Penalty Kill Icing* is offline  
Old
03-24-2012, 02:22 PM
  #47
TeamBester
Debunked
 
TeamBester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Kingston, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,337
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForzaZuffa View Post
Is there a legit justification for him keeping it?
I'd like to hear a legit justification for taking it away.

TeamBester is offline  
Old
03-24-2012, 02:27 PM
  #48
ForzaZuffa
Don't stare at it...
 
ForzaZuffa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Country: Italy
Posts: 9,256
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamBester View Post
I'd like to hear a legit justification for taking it away.
?.... You first....

ForzaZuffa is offline  
Old
03-24-2012, 02:34 PM
  #49
TeamBester
Debunked
 
TeamBester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Kingston, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,337
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForzaZuffa View Post
?.... You first....
Under his leadership the second youngest team held a playoff position for 3/4's(a guess) of the season before the collapse. And, there hasn't been any legit leaks that Dion is a cancerous captain.

TeamBester is offline  
Old
03-24-2012, 02:37 PM
  #50
Macoun4life
Registered User
 
Macoun4life's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Southwestern Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 165
vCash: 500
Close this asinine thread...no one knows what goes on inside the Leafs dressing room. This is pure drivel and I'm wondering if Simmons or Cox is behind this thread...

Macoun4life is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:49 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.