HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Will Carlyle take the "C" away from Phaneuf this summer.

View Poll Results: Yes or No?
Phaneuf will keep it. 167 73.89%
A new Captain will start the 2012-2013 season. 59 26.11%
Voters: 226. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
03-24-2012, 04:54 PM
Darkhorse1280

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Felstead View Post
He should.

Whether he will or not is a different story. As far as I'm concerned, Phaneuf is a disappointment in the sense of the great Captains before him that wore the blue and white. I can't name a worse leaf Captain to be honest, its quite sad.
Rob Ramage was a pretty bad captain.

Old
03-24-2012, 05:00 PM
Uncle Slick

Quote:
Originally Posted by diceman934 View Post
Vaive...now that is funny in this thread as he was the last Leafs Captain to have the C removed off of his Jesery while still play for the Leafs ( I believe)
yup.

He had issues with McNamara & Maloney. When he missed a road game morning skate that was it for them, they removed the C.

Old
03-24-2012, 05:48 PM
Wendelstache

he never earned it in the first place, but that would be harsh taking it away from him, eventhough he's one of the worst choices in Leafs history.

Old
03-24-2012, 06:06 PM
Mansfield
possession obsession

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitrock View Post
No, from what I hear he is a fine captain. I think people think too highly of someone wearing the "C". If it's only one person that is showing leadership in the room then we are screwed.
This. Phaneuf may have brain farts on the ice, but I'm happy with his captaincy. No single player, captain or not, can save a season.

So no, carlyle will not and should not strip phaneuf's captaincy.

Old
03-24-2012, 06:07 PM
Mansfield
possession obsession

mmmmm andi petrillo <3

Old
03-24-2012, 06:09 PM
Mansfield
possession obsession

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mansfield View Post
mmmmm andi petrillo <3
oops, thought this was the gdt lmao

Old
03-24-2012, 07:57 PM
Dirty Dan
Saturday Night Lupul

He should rip the C of Phanuefs jersey in front of all the boys and his girlfriend elisha, send a message and humiliate him

Old
03-24-2012, 08:09 PM
Baba Ganoush

he shouldn't have been made captain the way he was...but what's done is done. the C will be on his jersey for a while i think, good or bad.

Old
03-25-2012, 12:20 AM
DeathToAllButMetal
Let it all burn.

I really think Phaneuf will be moved this summer. A drastic change needs to be made, and this is a safer move than Kessel. Burke has got to do something dramatic, and trading Neon really fits the bill.

Old
03-25-2012, 12:50 AM
LetzgoEggo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddGillForever View Post
I really think Phaneuf will be moved this summer. A drastic change needs to be made, and this is a safer move than Kessel. Burke has got to do something dramatic, and trading Neon really fits the bill.
Would consider it, but doubt BB would.

Old
03-25-2012, 12:54 AM
Gike Bagpipe
Haemorrhaging syrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by diceman934 View Post
Vaive...now that is funny in this thread as he was the last Leafs Captain to have the C removed off of his Jesery while still play for the Leafs ( I believe)
the funny thing is I've been reading these kids saying that "he's the worst leaf captain EVER!!" Nuttier than squirrel shhht.....Rick Vaive was one of the less effective leaf captains of all time IMO....and that isn't scratching the surface.Our team have had some of the most well respected/talented captains in the league and some of the worst, of which I don't believe Dion is included in the latter.

Old
03-25-2012, 01:11 AM
MrLegend28*

Carlyle can remove him if he wants. Wilson made Dion captain not Burke, He just agreed with it

Old
03-25-2012, 01:16 AM
Eamonn*

I think we'd be better off with three assistants.

Phaneuf
Liles
Grabo/Lupul

Old
03-25-2012, 01:41 AM
FlareKnight

vCash: 100
Not unless Carlyle has someone else in mind to give it to. Phaneuf won't go down as one of the best Captains the team has had, but right now can't really say there is someone that would blow him away for the job.

In the end though up to Carlyle. Just not sure I'd be expecting that kind of move.

Old
03-25-2012, 01:44 AM
Leaf Lander

Send a message via ICQ to Leaf Lander Send a message via MSN to Leaf Lander
Be patient and be nice

Old
03-25-2012, 03:30 AM
Brozak
i scoreded a goal

Burke and co. do not like to admit their mistakes, so no.

Though I wish he would, but stripping the C would only cause that much more drama.

Old
03-25-2012, 03:55 AM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

He is the right captain.
Stop using the post-game interview as the way to judge his captaincy, he works his butt off on the ice and is always vocal on the bench if you ACTUALLLY look.

He's very mellow and probably holds back his aggressive in front of the media. Will love when 24/7 shows this. Recall the interview with NHL or leaftv where he was chirping kessel and he was doing vice versa. Does he look like a guy who can't speak up?

One wrong thing said to the press and toronto media will jump him like hounds.

03-25-2012, 04:11 AM
YearsintheWilderness

vCash: 50
I ridiculed the decision to give Phaneuf the C when it happened.

It happened for a few reasons.

Burke is a blowhard.

Phaneuf is a blowhard.

Blowhards have an affinity for each other.

And, by instantly handing the C to Phaneuf, it was a way for the blowhard Burke to pat himself on the back for the trade and announce to the world what a genius he thought he was.

Now that I think of it, MLSE hiring Burke is almost like a blowhard of an organization showing an affinity for a blowhard GM.

Like all blowhards, their shrieking, chest-thumping, and self-aggrandizing behaviour is always a way to overcompensate for their weaknesses.

Old
03-25-2012, 05:18 AM
enixer

It took years for Sundin to become a great captain, so I'm not sure how people can judge how Phaneuf will be viewed in a few years.

I think taking the C from him would be a really nasty thing for the team to do (like taking the A away from Kaberle) and would show free agents that Toronto is still a place where players aren't treated well.

Personally, if we didn't have a captain right now, I'd actually give it to Kessel in spite of what a lot of fans think of him. Could be wrong, but I see a lot of similarities between Sundin in 1995 and Kessel now. Given how he rebounded from cancer and last year's embarassment at the All-Star game, Kessel's way, way tougher than people give him credit for.

Old
03-25-2012, 08:36 AM
birddog*

He's not going to take the C away and it's stupid to think he would create that kind of controversy. Sometimes the only thing dumber than Burke is Maple Leaf fans.

Old
03-25-2012, 08:59 AM
Todd Skill

The only way Dion's not wearing that C is if he's not a Leaf.

Old
03-25-2012, 09:05 AM
Mansfield
possession obsession

Quote:
Originally Posted by enixer View Post
It took years for Sundin to become a great captain, so I'm not sure how people can judge how Phaneuf will be viewed in a few years.

I think taking the C from him would be a really nasty thing for the team to do (like taking the A away from Kaberle) and would show free agents that Toronto is still a place where players aren't treated well.

Personally, if we didn't have a captain right now, I'd actually give it to Kessel in spite of what a lot of fans think of him. Could be wrong, but I see a lot of similarities between Sundin in 1995 and Kessel now. Given how he rebounded from cancer and last year's embarassment at the All-Star game, Kessel's way, way tougher than people give him credit for.
Nice in theory, but Kessel has zero willingness to speak to the media.

Even if Phaneuf isn't the best interview, at least he always makes an effort. Besides, that's one area where he's obviously worked hard to improve. Compare his recent interviews to the press conference when he was made captain, for instance, there's tremendous improvement.

Once again - Phaneuf is doing a good job. Half way through the year when we were in a playoff spot, practically no one was complaining about Phaneuf as captain. When the team's fortunes go downhill he starts to share a disproportionate amount of the blame for it.

Remember, we had no playoffs with Sundin as captain for three straight years.

Old
03-25-2012, 09:09 AM
bluebarry

Quote:
Originally Posted by enixer View Post

no point in giving it to kessel- he'll assume it stands for cookie, then be extremely disapointed when he realizes it doesn't and has to do more interviews

Old
03-25-2012, 10:07 AM
notdoneyet

I'm sure that Randy will take the C from Phaneuf. Dion's doing the same thing he did when Wilson was the coach. The last two games he was on the ice for 28 and 29 minutes respectively. Theres no way Randy would let Dion on the ice that much. I'm sure that when Randy wants Dion to sit and he jumps on the ice Randy gets really mad at him and really punishes him by playing him against the other teams top line
for the rest of the game. Atta Boy Randy show him who is Boss.

Man if we had a real Captain He would not have let this team go into a skid.
Our Captain should be the best forward, defenceman, goaltender and coach at all times. When we had our great Captains in the past they did it all. They carried the team on theri backs at all times. It was just a fluke we hade Belfour,Cujo and Potvin,
but hey it really was our captains that lead us to so many cups.

Another thing who does Dion Think he is by not scoring five goals a night and blocking all those shots that our great golatenders cannot save. Dion should be throwing himself at the puck on every shot to take some of the pressure off our goalies.

He's a terrible Captain. I remember when Sundin was our Captain. Man we always made the playoffs. He would single handedly win games so we could win the Stanley
oh wait nevermind.

Dion will certainly be traded this summer. He can be easily replaced. We have Gardiner,Schenn,Liles,Komasarek,Gunnarson and another couple on the farm that are more than capable of playing 28/29 minutes a night.

Yuuuuuuup! Definitely take the C and be traded. That's what our problem is
one guy wearing the C.

Old
03-25-2012, 10:46 AM
BadVintage
Rookie User

Dion Phaneuf will still be the captain no matter what. If he's not, then it will be interesting to see who will take over his spot.

Closed Thread